Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2024 1:47:46 PM EDT
So I have a Coworker, just turned 30. Front what I can tell, most of his and his wives friends are left, all of her fam is. He is kinda at that age where he doesn't even have a side he just aligns with whatever the coolest person he know says.

Anyway, so this morning we were bickering about politics.  
Because of this Trump shooting and Trump vs Biden thing and the media hype, he is sort of just getting into politics and he tries to come in every day and throw something at me that should be in insult to the right about them or something they did...  
Gotcha type stuff.

This morning he was on about something, then he asks when the constitution was written.  I knew where this was going, but I told him. As expected, he asked why we still follow the constitution still and what makes ""those guys"" so right about everything, so long ago and why should we still go by that. Times have changed. Why don't we just we write it?

I gave him the rather, weak thats because that what our country was founded on, these guys from both sides of the aisle were both really bright and took time to sit down over a period of time and come up with the bill of rights and the amendments, to protect all people from the government and others.  You should be able to recognize its importance, , yada yada yad...

I decided to turn it around on him.  I said, now in your own thoughts, not shit your wife or friends told you on the way to a protest, not something you got off X or your Insty, What amendments are not fair, do YOU, YOU not like or think should be taken out, or what be added.

Now he can't give me a good reason why, I asked him, OK you obviously either don't like one or more of the amendments or one of your buddies or wife doesn't and they put this in your head. (Which is way more likely. I don't think he has to knowledge or thought process to not like anything in it, on his own.)  He just bows his head a bit and shake it, because he has nothing solid to go on.

He is not the 1st person or even 3rd person I have heard suggest this.  I am not for throwing out the constitution, not even a little but I don't feel my arguments stand up well enough to shore up my side.

Thoughts on how you would handle this discussion if you were in it?

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#1]
Tell him about Article V of the Constitution.  It provides for the means to modify the Constitution in a measured, logical manner. Be prepared to tell him that it isn't the 5th Amendment, but Article V of the original document.

eta

Then ask him which of the Amendments he'd scrap?
Ask if he'd eliminate the 1st Amendment? Let him give you a dumb look: He probably won't know it. Tell him.
How about the 4th Amendment? (Unreasonable search and seizure.) Tell him.
Go on down the list. Don't let him work on the 2nd; that's a hard sell to anyone who doesn't think.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Tell him about Article V of the Constitution.  It provides for the means to modify the Constitution in a measured, logical manner. Be prepared to tell him that it isn't the 5th Amendment, but Article V of the original document.

eta

Then ask him which of the Amendments he'd scrap? I did, as I said in the OP.  He had nothing to go on.
Ask if he'd eliminate the 1st Amendment? Let him give you a dumb look: He probably won't know it. Tell him. I think he only knows the 1st, 2nd and 5th..
How about the 4th Amendment? (Unreasonable search and seizure.) Tell him. I'm sure he doesn't know about it and if he did, he would not see the importance.
Go on down the list. Don't let him work on the 2nd; that's a hard sell to anyone who doesn't think.
View Quote

Originally Posted By trails-end:
I bet he hasn't even read the US Constitution.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01K68LAIG
View Quote
I actually offered him a copy.  I've got a small handful from back when I was building my LaRue armory and used to have frequent delivery's with Copies of that, Dillo Dust and a few stickers..
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:

I actually offered him a copy.  I've got a small handful from back when I was building my LaRue armory and used to have frequent delivery's with Copies of that, Dillo Dust and a few stickers..
View Quote

Did he accept it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

Did he accept it?
View Quote
No, but I'm bringing a few in Monday, can't hurt to plant seeds...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top