User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2024 7:02:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FuriousYachtsman] [#2]
The trick is to skip any made-made cooling. Steaks come home from the butcher/grocery/costco and go directly into the pantry until they’re prepared.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I let mine rest outside until they’re full of maggots

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah no.  It makes sense to let them come up closer to room temp before cooking so you don't burn the outside with a raw center, especially if you lean more to medium than rare.  But I don't leave them out longer than a half hour tops before they go in the pan.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazymike1973] [#6]
Why are thecsteaks resting before cooking? Is this one of those commie union things?

ETA: are you from Ohio?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Never understood the concept behind "tempering" or letting the steaks change temperature. That doesn't really make any scientific sense.

I will say that only salting ahead of time makes sense. You can salt hours (or even days) in advance. It works well in a vacuum bag because it's like a dry brine. But don't put pepper or garlic on if you have a hot grill for a sear because not only do you end up with mostly charcoal instead of spices, you end up with a very dirty grill.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I hit mine with salt and pepper and leave them out at room temp for an hour.  Just finished a ribeye set up that way.  I'm not sure having them out any longer would help much but I've never tried.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He's not mad, he's just wondering how long before your "I poisoned my wife and myself with bad meat." thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I season mine and throw them in the fridge for at least a couple hours, the longer the better.

I pull them out before I fire up the grill or pan and let them sit out maybe 30min to an hour.

Your crazy OP letting them sit out for 6hrs ar RT.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I leave it out for an hour or less.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I found it doesn’t matter either way, the microwave heats them the same.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
I season mine and throw them in the fridge for at least a couple hours, the longer the better.

I pull them out before I fire up the grill or pan and let them sit out maybe 30min to an hour.

Your crazy OP letting them sit out for 6hrs ar RT.
View Quote

Yeah but you're not "pre-resting" your steaks...you're letting them come up to room temp.

The OP, he's just an idiot trying to give his family a food-borne disease that fire can't cook away...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FS7:
Never understood the concept behind "tempering" or letting the steaks change temperature. That doesn't really make any scientific sense.

I will say that only salting ahead of time makes sense. You can salt hours (or even days) in advance. It works well in a vacuum bag because it's like a dry brine. But don't put pepper or garlic on if you have a hot grill for a sear because not only do you end up with mostly charcoal instead of spices, you end up with a very dirty grill.

View Quote

FS7, Salting too early has its issues. You're drawing moisture out of the steak and that's the enemy to a good crust.

OP this has been debunked so many times. 15-30 minutes out of the fridge is just as good as a long sit.

I think letting a steak sit for 30 minutes with salting and peppering it at 15-20 minutes in is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Just finished a couple rib eyes on the Webber. Lots of butter and fresh ground pepper after sitting out on the counter for a couple hours to achieve room temp.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually let them rest from sundown Friday until theee stars appear in the sky Saturday night.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Rest them after cooking

Slow cook to done temp

Rest until 100°

Sear the shit out of them
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#18]
with the salt you are dry brining them.. tenderizes and flavorizes steak up a few notches.  if have have other flavors in there, it can get pulled in deeper too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Get home, salt and pepper, put in tin foil. let 'em sit refrigerated for a couple hours and they come out and go on the counter top until we're ready to fire the grill up. Might be 30 mins, might be two hours. Either way they are always prefect for the wife and I just above actual rare.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I know when a steak has rested long enough when buzzards start circling the house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I like to season them straight out of the fridge and then let them get to room temp.  Then I grill them and let the rest under foil for 5 min.
Same here.  Steaks at home are much more better than out.  My wife finally treated me to Ruth’s Chris last year.  I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#22]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
I let mine rest outside until they're full of maggots

View Quote
I do this. Then I throw them on the grill with the burners on off. Then I serve it. My guests know that the less I cook the steak, the more my cooking skills are. It just needs pepper and salt, that's all any quality, raw maggot filled steak needs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
The trick is to skip any made-made cooling. Steaks come home from the butcher/grocery/costco and go directly into the pantry until they’re prepared.
View Quote

Made-made?

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Season them and throw them in the fridge until you're ready. Get the grill up to 275-300 and put them on until they reach 120 internal. Set them aside and bring the grill up to at least 700. Throw them on for 30 seconds and then turn 45 degrees and another 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side. Rest 5 minutes and enjoy.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

Attachment Attached File

Yes,  I'm full and settling down with a beer on the deck watching the rain move through.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#25]
The traditional method of aging pheasant was to hang it by the neck until it rots enough to fall to the ground.

I buy vacuum sealed frozen steaks from the butcher.  Either throw them on the counter for 4-5 hours to thaw and come up close to room temp, or submerge them in a large bowl of warmish water - still in the bag of course.

Letting them come up to temp makes a huge difference; you wind up with a much thinner band of well-done meat.  Dunno why people say otherwise.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PbSponge] [#26]

View Quote

Yeah, the pre salting/ dry brine is doing more for you than just letting steak sit around at unsafe temps (not really long enough that I'd worry about it, but there be food safety sticklers around) that isn't really going to do anything. Pre-salted and loosely/ uncovered in the fridge until 30 minutes or so before cooking is probably your best bet. Should lose more moisture in the fridge vs sealed at room temp (in a good, concentrating flavors/ getting a good sear way) and don't have the bacterial concerns (which again, don't really exist, especially with the salt). Whether to season besides salt pre cook is a personal call, burned spices can be tasty too in moderation.

ETA: said the opposite of what I was saying with "unsalted" fat fingers, small phone I guess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Listen, seriously, to what I'm about to say. Season your steaks the night before with SPG (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and let them sit over night in the fridge, pull them out at least 2 hours before you cook because the goal is to get them to room temperature, throw them on the grill and remove at about 130 internal temp. If you don't have any sort of temp probe then get one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Gugadid several tests on this topic
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

FS7, Salting too early has its issues. You're drawing moisture out of the steak and that's the enemy to a good crust.

OP this has been debunked so many times. 15-30 minutes out of the fridge is just as good as a long sit.

I think letting a steak sit for 30 minutes with salting and peppering it at 15-20 minutes in is perfect.
View Quote

The claim is that there is a bad spot, like between 15 and 45 minutes, where it draws moisture out and dries the steak. But with longer times, the salt dissolves, creating a brine that penetrates the muscle fibers. Whether any of this is true I don't know, but people swear by it. I don't know the exact times and I usually just salt immediately before cooking and rub it in, putting on the other stuff after.

If these minor details make or break it, it's a pretty bad piece of meat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ItWasntMe] [#30]
"Why bring steaks to room temp before grilling?

Letting the steak sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes will bring it up to room temperature, which is a good 20 to 25°F closer to your final serving temperature. This will help the steak brown better because you don't need to waste energy from the pan to take the chill off of its surface1. Allowing your meat to come up to room temperature will also help mitigate the issue of unevenly cooked steak, which can happen when you start with a cold piece of meat."

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
You want the steaks to come up to 60-70 degrees. I'd say ambient, but I'm sure some of you keep your houses at 85F lol.

Just helps get a more even cook and far easier to get the right temp inside without destroying the outer portion of the steak.

But no matter what, the post cooking rest is king.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I dry brine them and let them sit out for 2 hours at most. It definitely helps for a consistent cook, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I put the marinade on and then go start the fire. So probably 45 minutes or so before they get cooked.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#34]
Right outa the fridge onto the grill or frying pan.

There is no reason to "rest" them before or after.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If you just simply reverse sear you don't have worry about this silly nonsense about resting.

You know how it's nonsense? You have a dozen people all saying a dozen different times and methods to get the perfect steak.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Its food. Eat it. Dont court it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#37]

The claim is that there is a bad spot, like between 15 and 45 minutes, where it draws moisture out and dries the steak. But with longer times, the salt dissolves, creating a brine that penetrates the muscle fibers. Whether any of this is true I don't know, but people swear by it. I don't know the exact times and I usually just salt immediately before cooking and rub it in, putting on the other stuff after.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Apply salt and place on a wire rack/sheet pan in the fridge for a few hours.  The salt dry brines the meat and the fridge helps dry the surface.  You can pat dry any moisture that remains.  A dry surface gets you a good crust.

ETA: I usually go from fridge to grill with a short stop for salting because I'm not min-maxing my steak prep.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I also like to over think my cooking of steaks
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steel_buckeye] [#39]
Originally Posted By crazymike1973:
Why are thecsteaks resting before cooking? Is this one of those commie union things?

ETA: are you from Ohio?
View Quote

I’m from Ohio, and let my steaks rest to room temp for a few hours prior to cooking. Bet a PMAG mines better than yours
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Gdirty5:
I leave it out for an hour or less.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Bringing them to room temp is for women that can't appreciate a rare steak
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I like my steaks rare so I cook them cold. Ribeye can have some stubborn fat so I may leave those out for longer and or cook a little more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I light some candles, lay out some rose petals, and put some smooth jazz on the Hi-Fi to get my steaks in the mood.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
I like to season them straight out of the fridge and then let them get to room temp.  Then I grill them and let the rest under foil for 5 min.
Same here.  Steaks at home are much more better than out.  My wife finally treated me to Ruth’s Chris last year.  I was not impressed.
View Quote

Same. Not impressed….then the bill comes holy shit!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dangus:
I light some candles, lay out some rose petals, and put some smooth jazz on the Hi-Fi to get my steaks in the mood.
View Quote
Romancing the Meat.

A new take on the classic? You decide.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Hahahaha
This whole thread had me laughing.  But I think next time I'll leave out maybe an hour.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#47]
You guys are ruining your steaks.  When I get them home from the store, I put them in the pantry, not the fridge or freezer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I let them sit out about 30-45 minutes before cooking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

YOU TOO!?!?!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
The trick is to skip any made-made cooling. Steaks come home from the butcher/grocery/costco and go directly into the pantry until they're prepared.
View Quote

Originally Posted By giantpune:
You guys are ruining your steaks.  When I get them home from the store, I put them in the pantry, not the fridge or freezer.
View Quote
Post number 2 man. Beat like a rented mule.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top