Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2024 9:03:38 PM EDT
My printer is in my office in the basement so I can’t escape it.

Is it a bad idea to print with ASA given the printers location?

It’s a Bambu X1C.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I do ASA almost exclusively in the xmax3.  I added a recirculating carbon filter to the interior & it pretty much eliminated any detectable odor.  

It uses two 5015 fans pulling air through a roughly 2x4x6" container of activated carbon pellets. If I can smell anything with the door/lid closed it means I need to change the pellets.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I run it in the man cave without issue. Prusa mk3.9 with the enclosure and air purifier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#3]
Run a good quality filtration system.

I use a Lavoit Plasma Pro 400 in a 12x14 room that’s connected to a 8x12 closet. It runs 24/7. It does an excellent job.

I’ve also tested it against a smoke filled main living area when the wife burnt something in the oven. It reduced the particulate pretty quickly in about 1k sqft.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
some brands are worse than others. I worry that I get used to the smell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

I use a Lavoit Plasma Pro 400 in a 12x14 room that’s connected to a 8x12 closet. It runs 24/7. It does an excellent job.

I’ve also tested it against a smoke filled main living area when the wife burnt something in the oven. It reduced the particulate pretty quickly in about 1k sqft.

View Quote

@gtfoxy Where's your purifier in relation to the printer? Do you have the printer exhaust ducted to the purifier?
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#6]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

@gtfoxy Where's your purifier in relation to the printer? Do you have the printer exhaust ducted to the purifier?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

It’s sitting on the counter right next to the printer.

Well, I don’t print with ASA as of yet, only ABS. It wouldn’t do any good, nor would I want to, during printing since I have the exhaust fan shut off during printing to maintain chamber temp. If the purifier was pulling air it would also pull heat.

Add: I even have a fiberglass tile on the glass to retain heat when running ABS.

Additionally the way that model’s induction is you would have to cap the entire bottom.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I get a headache when I'm running asa through the x1c.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
If I'm printing ABS or ASA I just do it overnight since it's right next to my desk during the day if I'm working from home.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Same situation here, basement office/workshop with no ventilation. I have a Bentobox filter inside my X1C and I have an air filter in the room as well. The last few times I've printed ASA I kept my air quality monitor by my printer. So far, it isn't showing any air quality issues, VOCs, etc. and I can't smell anything either. I think the Bento is doing its job.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
Same situation here, basement office/workshop with no ventilation. I have a Bentobox filter inside my X1C and I have an air filter in the room as well. The last few times I've printed ASA I kept my air quality monitor by my printer. So far, it isn't showing any air quality issues, VOCs, etc. and I can't smell anything either. I think the Bento is doing its job.
View Quote

Glad to hear it. I’m plan on to stick a bentobox in my printer when I can find time to actually build it
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Glad to hear it. I'm plan on to stick a bentobox in my printer when I can find time to actually build it
View Quote
I didn't want to deal with sourcing all the parts for the Bento Box.

So I bought one from here with the high flow fans.

I positioned it inside the X1C and used a Command strip to hold it to the case.  Then used hot glue to hold the wires down and ran them out the lower right front on the door side.

Had no problems with the few ASA and ABS prints I've tried.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
I didn't want to deal with sourcing all the parts for the Bento Box.

So I bought one from here with the high flow fans.

I positioned it inside the X1C and used a Command strip to hold it to the case.  Then used hot glue to hold the wires down and ran them out the lower right front on the door side.

Had no problems with the few ASA and ABS prints I've tried.
View Quote

🤔

That might end up cheap enough that it’s not worth printing and trying to assemble myself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 2:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#13]
This is the media I've been using lately,

$20 for 5lb. of 4mm diameter extruded pellets.  Described as "Acid Free. Phosphate-free premier activated carbon", I've not seen any surface rust issues.  A bit dusty, but that's to be expected.  Also described as "100% natural walnut shell carbon".   It comes packaged in 5, 1 lb. zipper mesh bags, all inside a large zip-lock bag.

I generally haven't been bothering with HEPA filtration on my DIY units as they are strictly recirculation of the enclosure internal volume & not doing any exhaust.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
If I end up getting an FDM printer and print with ASA, I’ll do what I’ve done with my resin printer. I’ve put a tent over the printer, and use 4” dryer tubing and an inline exhaust fan to vent to outdoors. It shouldn’t draw much if any heat from the printer enclosure. Works great for handling the resin vapors, so I imagine it’d work well for ASA fumes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jack_Dempsey:
If I end up getting an FDM printer and print with ASA, I’ll do what I’ve done with my resin printer. I’ve put a tent over the printer, and use 4” dryer tubing and an inline exhaust fan to vent to outdoors. It shouldn’t draw much if any heat from the printer enclosure. Works great for handling the resin vapors, so I imagine it’d work well for ASA fumes.
View Quote

nope. Any air currents will cool the overall part and it will warp. This is ASA and ABS biggest challenge. Put it in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#16]
3D printers are worse than I thought. Time to do something about it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofn_MHrxrs
View Quote

That's a good video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top