Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
its sad but being old I have learned that the old saying

Nice guys finish last is so true.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I am sure he had to pull permits...go to the building/construction permit dept...lay it on them as they are supposed to make sure he does things by code...
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Consult a lawyer?

Call the police or sheriff?

View Quote

FPNI

Do not talk to them.

Call Police/Sheriff/State Police (likely best)

Hire Lawyer.

Or....  Move.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:
Get a 4 pack of Arlo Cameras and place them on your home and trees to document what they are doing while you are away.

Battery Powered Cameras
View Quote

this - and everything else in this thread.

cameras to document everything going on - especially to catch everything after they're put on notice to vacate your property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#5]
"Felt some kind of way".... OK I support the other guy
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
A call to the municipality planning/permitting department.  And if they drag their feet on it, as in, aren't out there by the next day, call LE and have the crews formally trespassed.  You can't allow for the possibility of a "mutual misunderstanding" of the property line to be asserted.  

You also need to schedule a meeting with the planning department to talk to them about setback minimums, why they weren't followed, and if they were followed, why are these minimums not sufficient to avoid this.  And a complaint to the contractor licensing board.

If there was variance issued for setback, why were you not notified?

The Planning/Engineering Dept owes you an explanation.  Pick up the phone right now, leave a message that they need to call you when they get back from lunch.

It could be that notice was posted, a letter of the variance request was mailed to you, delivered to you, and you missed it.  But, it could be that somebody wasn't doing his job.  In the wrong or not, Planning needs to explain the situation.

Our Planning Commision meetings are at 3pm on weekdays.  Maybe yours are like that as well.  And you should see how pissed off residents can be when they have to take off from work, because government can't be inconvenienced to hold "public meetings" when the public is most free to attend.  

You are at work.  Somebody else is at work, and getting paid to cause you a problem.  If Planning is not on-the-spot responsive, call the local LE non-emergency number, and tell them you have prima facie evidence of material trespass at your unattended property, and you need LE to go out there and give notice to the trespassers, and that you will come down to the station to fill out the appropriate paperwork when you are freed up from work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
For some reason if that drain just happened to back up when it rains hard. 🤣be funny.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]
@Seatbelts

What City/County are you in (feel free to PM it)?  I'd like to look at the zoning ordinances regarding side setbacks...  Also, yeah offsite drainage of that type isn't typically allowed in VA any longer; nearly all storm drainage must remain onsite or be mitigated in some fashion.  DEQ is very strict about this, and the Counties that self-manage Storm Water/Erosion permitting must still operate to DEQ standards.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn’t lose my cool, maybe try talking to the owner first, but if he’s avoiding, it’s your property, you can do whatever you want to something coming onto your property. Also, no trespassing sign and call the law if they drive onto your property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Permanent creek? Hello EPA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Originally Posted By Seatbelts:
Well it's 9am so I figure they either didn't come today or decided to fuck my shit up and not call.

Either way I have a lot to think about.

I'm trying to be nice but the more I think about it the closer I am to welding a 90* elbow on that mother fucker so it flows where god intended. On his land.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there's a creek at the bottom of that slope. Another 10ft past the back corner

But realistically I'll be going to the city asap and I guess looking for a fucking attorney

Permanent creek? Hello EPA.

Well... maybe... until the EPA turns up and tells him the discharge is coming from HIS property and he is liable even though the water started on his neighbors property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Best I could tell the setback is 15ft but I think they got a variance because it's just as close to the property line on the other side.
View Quote

Front, side, and rear setbacks may all be different... the city planning dept will be able to tell you what they are and if a variance was issued (unlikely.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I love all the GD responses of scorched earth.  

Just remember,  this person will be your neighbor down the road.   Odds are, he is probably not even aware that his contractor has crossed onto your property.  

There have been times where I could have been a dick over property line issues with neighbors,  but have backed off and tried to be pleasant in talking to them.   We have resolved the issues amicably and later are still able to happily associate with each other.  It helped when my pigs got out while I was at work and he and his son saw them heading up into my woods.  They spent a couple hours herding them back to my pen and making sure they were secure.  If I had gone scorched earth before,  he probably would have just said F him.  

It's nice to have good neighbors, and not ones that are constantly pissed at you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
My previous neighbor planted trees about 10 feet onto my property.  Neither of us at the time thought it was wrong until I had my septic pumped and looked at a property plot.

My current neighbor understands the real line and mows everything up to the trees and I don't really care as I got some free trees.
View Quote

His mowing up to the trees sets him up to claim that extra 10ft... he might conveniently "forget" those conversations.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
If you need a temporary fence to show the property line, it's pretty easy to do with cinder blocks and landscape timbers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Fence-3320214.jpg
View Quote

Or posts and a single strand of wire.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Stop trying to be a nice guy.  People like this love to abuse nice guys.

What is the harm in calling the police and having them trespassed? It might save you a couple grand in lawyer fees.   Around here if you make contact with the property owner or contractor to try to resolve the problem, the police will say it is now a civil matter and won't help you.  Go to the police first.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

His mowing up to the trees sets him up to claim that extra 10ft... he might conveniently "forget" those conversations.
View Quote

Yeah get it in writing that you are letting him use it. Takes away any claim to adverse possession
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Best I could tell the setback is 15ft but I think they got a variance because it's just as close to the property line on the other side.

I did notice a small little wooden sign near the shitter on that side so I'm guessing that's his work permit.

I'm more concerned that this is more along the lines of a fly by night kinda operation because of the pace of the work. Even before the line was staked there crews working were sporadic at best. Then they stopped coming all together for a month. Now this random piece of equipment showed up.

But I work from 5 am until 5pm so catching the fuckers there has been a challenge
View Quote

To get a variance change like that would've been required to get an ok from you.
At least in my area.
My neighbor wanted to add an addition to his house on my side for his MIL.
I didn't allow it. It would've prevented me, or future owners, from building a detached garage on that side of my property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Your string line looks correct for a property line. The 2 fences on either side of my house are about 5-6 feet from my house foundation. Anything protruding into your yard/property line is a problem especially if it's dumping water into your yard. That tree will have to be removed too, trees are bad for fencing and will up root it or knock it over in time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Strong chance that tree dies

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
That is clearly trespassing and destruction of private property. Tell the police you want to press charges and have the a-hole that did it arrested. That'll send a message they'll respond to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Consult a lawyer?

Call the police or sheriff?

That is clearly trespassing and destruction of private property. Tell the police you want to press charges and have the a-hole that did it arrested. That'll send a message they'll respond to.

You're being emotional. The cops aren't doing any of that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Go straight to the city planning commission or whatever they call it in your town.
They can be assholes to a degree but in your case it is in your favor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Does your municipality not have minimum setback distances from
Property lines? You mention his AC unit will be within 1’ of your property, hard to imagine they wouldn’t need some type of variance for that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Well it's 9am so I figure they either didn't come today or decided to fuck my shit up and not call.

Either way I have a lot to think about.

I'm trying to be nice but the more I think about it the closer I am to welding a 90* elbow on that mother fucker so it flows where god intended. On his land.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there's a creek at the bottom of that slope. Another 10ft past the back corner

But realistically I'll be going to the city asap and I guess looking for a fucking attorney
View Quote

Don't damage their property without first getting the advice of a lawyer. You could turn a slam dunk legal case into one with counter claims that you lose.

While it seems like it should be that anything built on your property becomes your property in many states that isn't true. It's their drain pipe that they own and if you damage it you may be liable for that and for any other damage resulting.

You most likely need a court order to remove it. Instead, send them a demand to remove it and sue them for the harm it's done you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cmc201:

No, he does not own anything on your property. I would rip that shit out of the ground and start my fence. I would rather ask forgiveness than permission.
View Quote
That's how it SHOULD be, and how you think it is, but it really depends on the law in that State. If this ends up in court illegally damaging someone else's property could turn a winning case into a loser.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seatbelts] [#28]
Sorry I only have a sec to respond but I don't think a lot of you guys understand

I bought my house in mid June. This construction has been going on for probably a year. And because of that I have a feeling that he had hoped to have it done before my house was sold.

Unfortunately for him the first thing I did was survey it. Too many years in the business for me to trust the title survey.

The line that I have drawn is merely highlighting the existing line of stakes that I had put in from the front corner to the back. I stretched a sting and tied flagging on said string last night when I came home.

I had the survey done back in July. They hadn't been back since until this week. Then the ASV showed up and by the time I got home they were long gone.

So far I have yet to speak to anyone about it because I work all the time and by the time I'm home their gone. But one guy had been showing up on Saturday prior to the survey and we had hoped he would pass it along

I saw what I think was the owner one time, and he was on site for 10 mins on a random Sunday. He walked and looked at the HVAC hookups and had to see the staked line.

I started across the yard to speak with him and by the time I got to where the pictures are, he was in his truck driving away.

That was probably 3 or more weeks ago
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry I only have a sec to respond but I don't think a lot of you guys understand

I bought my house in mid June. This construction has been going on for probably a year. And because of that I have a feeling that he had hoped to have it done before my house was sold.

Unfortunately for him the first thing I did was survey it. Too many years in the business for me to trust the title survey.

The line that I have drawn is merely highlighting the existing line of stakes that I had put in from the front corner to the back. I stretched a sting and tied flagging on said string last night when I came home.

I had the survey done back in July. They hadn't been back since until this week. Then the ASV showed up and by the time I got home they were long gone.

So far I have yet to speak to anyone about it because I work all the time and by the time I'm home their gone. But one guy had been showing up on Saturday prior to the survey and we had hoped he would pass it along

I saw what I think was the owner one time, and he was on site for 10 mins on a random Sunday. He walked and looked at the HVAC hookups and had to see the staked line.

I started across the yard to speak with him and by the time I got to where the pictures are, he was in his truck driving away.

View Quote

You should be calling an attorney on your lunch break.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I would throw up some cheap safety fencing along the property line.

$36 at Home Depot for 100' plus around $60 for 4' t-post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:

To get a variance change like that would've been required to get an ok from you.
At least in my area.

I didn't allow it. It would've prevented me, or future owners, from building a detached garage on that side of my property.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigborehound:

I did notice a small little wooden sign near the shitter on that side so I'm guessing that's his work permit.

I'm more concerned that this is more along the lines of a fly by night kinda operation because of the pace of the work. Even before the line was staked there crews working were sporadic at best. Then they stopped coming all together for a month. Now this random piece of equipment showed up.

But I work from 5 am until 5pm so catching the fuckers there has been a challenge

At least in my area.

Fairfax VA requires certified letters of approval from the neighbors before they approve setback variances.

No 'too bad you didn't see the notice' excuses.

At least that's how it works for the little people.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#32]
After saving for years and living in a shitty apartment for a decade too long we finally were able to buy a home. We love it, its exactly what we wanted. However part of the plans included a privacy fence on one side, so we could set clear boundaries before construction is finished on the town homes next door. Part of that included running my property lines.

Thats when I discovered that I owned a LOT further over then I realized. They had clearly run the line at some point as well as we found stakes on line on the property line.

After years of working in land surveying, I am pretty laid back when it comes to my property because I know how miserable it can be to have a Karen trying to plant shrubs on the line and shit like that. I wanted to avoid immediately being a dick considering I have never even spoken to the crew doing the building work.

But its a problem I can't ignore. They laid a drainpipe over the line, exiting onto my property by 5 feet, and worse its angled so that my entire lower yard gets flooded when it rains. They didn't install silt fencing, and frankly moved a shitload of dirt onto my yard. Its clear as day and we staked the line with a flagged stake every 50 ft. I couldn't have made it clearer. I then waited for the knock on my door as we have no clue how to contact the actual owner. Then they stop coming to work on it the next week after its staked. They have been gone a month, so ironically we were drafting a letter to send to who we found on the title.

Thats when a ASV showed up. I'm not going to lie, I felt some kind of way about this. The line is fucking clear as day, and this cocksucker won't stop and talk to my wife and kept driving on my property all day. I get home from work and see that shit, and the disrespect made me fucking livid.

So I'll leave it to you guys. How would you play it?

I left a note duct taped to the Posi-Track that said exactly "before you drive on my property again, have the owner call me at __________. We need to discuss the drainpipe installed on my land". Then I stretched a string and flagged it to make it even more clear.

My plans are if he ignores me again I'll be going directly to the city with all the pictures. And if the city doesn't want to do shit, then I'll weld the bitch closed on my end, and bury it.

The posi track is actually sitting on me by a foot or so in the back. He made himself a nice little road around because there's not enough room on the side of the property for him to fit. By the time they install the HVAC there MAY be a foot of space between it and the property line.
https://i.imgflip.com/93896p.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/9389co.jpg
https://i.imgflip.com/9389lp.jpg

And before anyone asks or suggests. I would have immediately peed on his leg to establish dominance, however he's been hiding and I don't think pissing on the drywallers would have the same effect.
View Quote

I have to ask are n I in a HOA?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]
GD is hilarious. 9 out of 10 of you are giving terrible ego based opinions that will make this way worse.

Try this; "Hello Sir. I'm not certain that is the proper property line. Mind if I get a surveyor in here to shoot the lines? I'd hate for you to spend all this effort in the wrong spot."
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Having recently gone through similar but more rural, and not having to do with new builds; The police will say it's a civil matter 100%. This has to go through the courts.

In my opinion, you have two options.

1) The drain pipe needs to be moved where zero drainage from comes into your land, and dress up the yard where it currently sits. All paid for by the other party not you of course.

2) Have the pipe extended to where it'll drain better and not flooding your yard. Then sell the small portion to the new owner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#35]
place 2- 90deg elbows and route the pipe back at his yard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#36]
And after you complain to them if anything happens to the job site you are suspect #1
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Benefactor:
Police won't get involved.  The agency responsible for soil erosion and sediment control (SESC) may help in the sense that they may fine the contractor for not following the proper rules, but they won't do anything about encroachment.

Hiring a lawyer is your best way forward.
View Quote

Agree on the lawyer.

Police can trespass the contractor though.

Look at zoning. I don't have a clear understanding of the neighbors site plan, but they may have set-back violations if they are right up against you. If so, it is better to act now while they are still banging on stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wsix:
GD is hilarious. 9 out of 10 of you are giving terrible ego based opinions that will make this way worse.

Try this; "Hello Sir. I'm not certain that is the proper property line. Mind if I get a surveyor in here to shoot the lines? I'd hate for you to spend all this effort in the wrong spot."
View Quote

You must have missed the 5 times that the op stated that he had already done a proper survey...... AND that he couldn't get a hold of anybody to talk to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By huntingAz:

You must have missed the 5 times that the op stated that he had already done a proper survey...... AND that he couldn't get a hold of anybody to talk to.
View Quote

I did miss the second part. Doing a proper survey and not sharing that with the, err, trespasser, makes the survey all but useless. As far as "couldn't find someone to talk to." shows a lack of determination. Park your truck on the property line and someone will find you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
@Seatbelts

Meh, I'd go ahead and lay out a fence, and rent (or buy from Harbor Freight and sell when you're done) a earth auger and set fence posts.

Cuts off their access, and you can go ahead and install a Pressure Treated kick/mud board at the bottom so his silt stays on his side mostly.

For under $500, I think it would get the point across and them being townhomes you're going to need a fence eventually.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]

I did miss the second part. Doing a proper survey and not sharing that with the, err, trespasser, makes the survey all but useless. As far as "couldn't find someone to talk to." shows a lack of determination. Park your truck on the property line and someone will find you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By huntingAz:

He said someone who looked "in charge" got in their truck and drove away when he did try to go talk.  Hence things like the note on the skidsteer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

He said someone who looked "in charge" got in their truck and drove away when he did try to go talk.  Hence things like the note on the skidsteer.
View Quote

That's a passive attempt at communication.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

You should probably read the whole thread. It seems you are only getting caught up through people correcting you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austin4130] [#44]
I'd bet folding $$ there is a set of plans around there somewhere, and open permits with the city.

Talk to anyone on site and get Supt's phone #.

Probably a board or info by the road with permit or job information too.

Google the address where work is being completed.

Can also look on local municipality GIS / Tax site to see who owner is.

or

Could remove or have someone remove the pipe, send them a bill, and when unpaid file a lein on it.

Usually gets owners / creditors / contractors attention real quick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Bro, you are the one not paying attention

NOONE LIVES THERE

HE ALREAY HAD A SURVEY DONE
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

Bro, you are the one not paying attention

NOONE LIVES THERE

HE ALREAY HAD A SURVEY DONE
View Quote

Just pretend my post was early on page one before that was posted.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

You will need to be available during normal business hours for county/city departments.    The "I work 26 hours a day line" will not help you resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#48]
If you have not already called your local building permit office then you are not serious about solving this.  Call building permitting, planning and zoning office, and engineering....tell them what's going on and it will be solved shortly.  Nothing gets their attention more than and inspector shutting the job down.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

You should probably take a day or two off work to deal with this problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#50]
Check for a drainage easement.  If none the advice in here is good ftmp.  Lawyer up last, not first.  It should be city first, owner next, lawyer last.  May be a mistake and your neighbors are going to be right next to you for a while.  Best to keep it friendly as long as you can.  By the way, the tree.  It looks like they trenched right up to the trunk.  If they cut all the roots on one side and did not bore under them it will probably kill the tree, which could fall on your house.  The one up the slope has had its roots compacted by heavy equipment and maybe roots cut too, it may also die.  Whoever did the work caused you more trouble than you thought.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top