Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2024 7:57:12 PM EDT

Just FYI.

Prusa came out with an upgrade to the MK4.  Better cooling, high flow nozzle etc.
Upgrade kit for MK4 is $99.

https://www.tomshardware.com/3d-printing/prusa-mk4s-review

TYCOM
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No thanks.

How long until Prusa gets sued?
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ll pick up a kit sometime in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

I wonder if being open source is somehow saving them?
View Quote

I mean they have a heated bed. The hardware is there.

The load cell is there.

I enclosure is sold as an accessory.

All technically infringement.

And Prusa probably still outsells Bambu. They were selling over 10k a month, before XL production ramped up. That's a lot of infringement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: norseman1] [#7]
Bedslingers are a dime a dozen these days.

Not saying they are "bad", but not having an enclosure come with an $$$ printer is a turn off in this market.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
And being they are EU, I would imagine they are far easier to sue than a Chinese company, but IANAL. Dunno, I thought it odd Bambu was sued and not Prusa. There must be a reason.
View Quote

I mean a few of these things Prusa had Makerbot beat out on, didn't have patents but has reasonable proof that they made it first. Like the Mendle 2 prusa kits had a heated bed several years before the Makerbot patent was even filed. Going after someone for a patent that they did first, even if they didn't file for a patent, can lead to the company with the patent losing it so not worth the risk. That is also assuming Prusa didn't actually have some standing patent agreements for these, I mean most of them run back in the makerbot era, and they for the most part were a pretty open company till the mid 2010s. Wouldn't be surprised if Prusa has some grandfathered in and very favorable agreements. Also, with most of their sales being kits, technically they are not selling printers they are selling a parts kit, just an extra layer of legal fine line that has to be walked.

If I had to bet this comes down to they have one particular thing they are not happy about, my bet would be on the MMU or the lidar bed features. However, it is not uncommon to throwing every possible lawsuit at your opponent at the beginning. There are two good reasons for this, 1. Most of the time you have to file everything at the the start of the case as you often can't easily add things later. 2. It gives them barging chips if they wish to try to settle the case, which is what happens in the majority of lawsuits.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered 2 to upgrade my 4s.

Also ordered the GPIO boards to play with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top