Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2024 2:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thepantydropper]
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain (brain fizz), how can you trust that random collision of atoms is geared at any sort of truth?

It would seem that as an Atheist, you would be unable to trust your own thoughts.

I’ve used the google but found no good answer to this question.

What say the Atheists here?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:35:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CommonwealthKid] [#2]
Originally Posted By thepantydropper:
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain (brain fizz), how can you trust that random collision of atoms is geared at any sort of truth?

It would seem that as an Atheist, you would be unable to trust your own thoughts.

View Quote

Monkeys have gods, we're called human beings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Fortunately for the ancient Greeks, they had many gods.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Checkmate, atheists!

Thank you for putting the s at the end
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#5]
One day when I was like 8 on the way home from baseball practice, a group of older special needs people showed up at the Burger King we were eating at. One middle aged mentally challenged guy was walking past our booth as we were eating and he stops and the foot of our table and looks at my dad dead in the eye and says "HIIIIIIII".

Now, I'm utterly at a loss for words. My dad isn't exactly the most politely spoken man in the world and isn't above making fun of people for their shortcomings. I'm half scared, half curious how my dad is going to respond to him.

My dad is literally chewing on his Whopper when this happens. He puts it down and turns to the guy and with no emotion on his face says "HI" and waves to him. The mentally challenged man was super happy about that and got a little smile and walked away.

My dad picks his Whopper back up and takes a bite, no emotion, like nothing just happened. He takes a bite and then says to me, "Son, you always have to be nice to the retards", and goes back to finish his Whopper. He was 100% serious. I don't think I said anything for the next 10 minutes.

And that lesson has stuck with me ever since. Which is why I'm not going to make a comment about your post.

Edit: The originator has shown up on page 2.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Phiers] [#6]

View Quote

Do you mean thoughts like pedophiles having certain intrusive thoughts sexual in nature towards children? Or does that come from god?

You answered your own question. You cant always trust your thoughts. Your thoughts are evolved over many thousands of years as an adaption of us learning from mistakes and genetically holding onto what works. Sometimes brains are wired weirdly, thats part of evolution. If its a weak genetic line, that person will die out through natural selection....like a pedophile getting the death sentence.

Or do you think god is making them sexually attracted toward kids? Gross.

Assuming your arguement will be cherry picked to some extent "well that doesnt count because blah blah" but if you are blaming god for human thoughts and consciousness, then god is to blame for pedophilia too (obviously this is just an example) and if thats the case, I want no part of god.

In the end, you SHOULD be questioning your own thoughts. Thats how you make non biased discussions and scientific answers. If you dont question your own thoughts, you are just a sheep. a zombie. a robot thats along for the ride.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
One day when I was like 8 on the way home from baseball practice, a group of older special needs people showed up at the Burger King we were eating at. One middle aged mentally challenged guy was walking past our booth as we were eating and he stops and the foot of our table and looks at my dad dead in the eye and says "HIIIIIIII".

Now, I'm utterly at a loss for words. My dad isn't exactly the most politely spoken man in the world and isn't above making fun of people for their shortcomings. I'm half scared, half curious how my dad is going to respond to him.

My dad is literally chewing on his Whopper when this happens. He puts it down and turns to the guy and with no emotion on his face says "HI" and waves to him. The mentally challenged man was super happy about that and got a little smile and walked away.

My dad picks his Whopper back up and takes a bite, no emotion, like nothing just happened. He takes a bite and then says to me, "Son, you always have to be nice to the retards", and goes back to finish his Whopper. He was 100% serious. I don't think I said anything for the next 10 minutes.

And that lesson has stuck with me ever since. Which is why I'm not going to make a comment about your post.
View Quote

This is gold. Pure gold.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Inneedofhelp] [#8]
Originally Posted By CommonwealthKid:

Monkeys have gods, we're called human beings.
View Quote

I am human, I am god, motherfucker, to apes.  

I'm glad to know at least some creatures would worship me.  The only problem is, when people think they are gods, some of them will inevitably think they are the greatest god, see Hitler, Stalin, and many others.  Of course, they turned out to be just mere flesh and blood mortals in the end, good riddance to both of them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

This is the kind of shitty, passive aggressive, subtle, and may cross into the territory of being verbal abuse kind of comment some people love to make.  You have to be nice to a retard, but you're a retard, all said without actually saying it out loud, bravo, with the passive aggressiveness that would make my own father proud.  He was verbally abusive, it's the worst kind of abuse there is, out of the three, physical, verbal and sexual, and I'm pretty sure his attitude rubbed off on me, judging from the verbal abuse I'm slinging in my post.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:

This is the kind of shitty, passive aggressive, subtle, and may cross into the territory of being verbal abuse kind of comment some people love to make.  You have to be nice to a retard, but you're a retard, all said without actually saying it out loud, bravo, with the passive aggressiveness that would make my own father proud.  He was verbally abusive, it's the worst kind of abuse there is, out of the three, physical, verbal and sexual, and I'm pretty sure his attitude rubbed off on me, judging from the verbal abuse I'm slinging in my post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A copypasta answered with another copypasta?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:17:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Inneedofhelp] [#11]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

View Quote

Who copied it and reposted it?  How is it copypasta?  

I felt like defending the other guy, against what I've been up against too often, only people acted that way to my face.  I think that's worse what they did, but I have to admit, at least they also had courage to act that way when we were face to face.

Sorry for the derail though, try to keep this thread on topic I guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

User name fits..
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Well, for one thing, the brain I use to think my thoughts is the product of something like 4.5 billion straight years of flawless victory at surviving long enough to reproduce.

For another thing, I've used it to build the structure of logic from cogito.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

You need help, mang.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22baseball%22+%22Son%2C+you+always+have+to+be+nice+to+the+retards%22+site%3Aar15.com
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes

You need help, mang.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22baseball%22+%22Son%2C+you+always+have+to+be+nice+to+the+retards%22+site%3Aar15.com

Well his username is fitting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:48:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oiparhon] [#16]
5 am atom thought collider
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Religious people would quote Jeremiah saying the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, and atheists would point to the scientific method where individuals conclusions are worthless unless they can be independently verified. Both sides kind of acknowledge people have an inherent problem with truth telling
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#18]

I've used the google but found no good answer to this question.

View Quote
Wait..religious people think god controls their thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
We’re all born atheistic.

Most of the time you’re the religion that you were brought up in, or the local area. Weird huh?

Being atheist isn’t a religion or an even a choice. It’s just not believing in a thing that there’s no evidence for.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#20]

View Quote
Wait, wait. You think a talking snake had a magic apple? And rhinos and polar bears floated around on a boat with a nine-hundred-year-old dude? And you're asking us about "logic" and "truth"?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
We’re all born atheistic.

Most of the time you’re the religion that you were brought up in, or the local area. Weird huh?

Being atheist isn’t a religion or an even a choice. It’s just not believing in a thing that there’s no evidence for.

View Quote

It is funny how that works. Had everyone living today been born in different regions 4000 years ago they'd all be worshipping something different.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Lol.  Yep
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Only fools fully trust their thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:57:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#25]
There's no answers to that question but they will hand wave it off then post theological fallacies the standard sop when they can't answer a question.

If you really want go down that rabbit hole there's plenty of bing brain debate on what actually classifies something as "real" in a secular world.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Wait, wait. You think a talking snake had a magic apple? And rhinos and polar bears floated around on a boat with a nine-hundred-year-old dude? And you're asking us about "logic" and "truth"?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rodent:

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:
There's no answers to that question but they will hand wave it off.

If you really want go down that rabbit hole there's plenty of bing brain debate on what actually classifies something as "real".
View Quote

"I think it therefore it is" usually puts an end to any further rational discussiuon
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Atom collisions...

I'm not an atheist, but OP clearly don't have a clue how the brain works and is not doing the argument for "faith" any favors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Self Love.. good for you
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#30]
This is a freewill vs no freewill discussion.

Every atom collision in the universe is a result of cause and effect, like a chain of dominoes falling. It was set in motion long ago, and thus every atom today is merely part of a long chain reaction. Every thought you have, every move you make, even me typing this comment are all part of the cause & effect chain. You are just a passive part of this reaction. Your fate is predetermined.

But of course, man was made in the image of God. We live halfway in the material realm and halfway in the spiritual realm. Like God, we have the power to affect this material chain reaction. We can impose our will on it and manipulate it to our own vision, thus disrupting the cause & effect chain. This is your freewill.

Obviously the latter is true and probably works in some quantum multiverse type of way. If you believe the former is true, then it is, because that's the reality you've chosen to create for yourself. You have the power of a god and used that power to enslave yourself. Sad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Our cat believes he's a God. That's all I have to say on GD about this subject.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:08:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#32]
I don't think thoughts work the way you describe them. I also don't know what belief in a diety has to do with how the brain works. Are you implying theists get their thoughts from God?

ETA: Fuck it's a pantydroper thread. You do more to harm religuos people than you do to help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Mostly logic will lead somewhere
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Hi.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#37]
The thought the religious answer to why god lets people do bad things was because he gave them free will?

Are you saying that’s not the case OP?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

An Atheist's god is their brain.

The collision of atoms isn't random, it's perfect- as it should be. If they don't understand something, that means the something doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#41]
No one is lord over me.  I enjoy complete personal freedom without guilt of thinking or doing certain things.  I know right from wrong without wasting my Sundays having to pay some mortal to tell me how to live my life.

Total freedom...you should try it some time.

I'm still amazed that there are millions of Americans that actually believe that there is an all powerful entity at the center of the universe that can read their minds from billions of light years away.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Who created god?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:
Welcome to another "thepantydropper" troll thread.
View Quote

The laziest of all troll threads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#45]

View Quote

Today I learned this was CP. I thought this was legit the first time I read it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

As a sinner who recognizes my own personal need for the saving grace of the one true lord and king, Jesus Christ, I am unable to trust my own fleshly thoughts.

Paul talks about the sanctification process in Romans and that we are not to be conformed to the world, but we must renew our minds to know that God's will is perfect.

I see the argument you are trying to make, but believing in God alone does not make one's thoughts holy, pure, or trustworthy. That typically comes through years of spiritual discipline.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#47]
OP is wrong.

I’m the person I’m most suspicious of in this world.  Think about it… you’re walking along and you come across yourself.  Not a lookalike.  Not a long lost twin. Not a clone.

Actually You.  Some multiverse shit.  The only logical thing to do is kill it.  Don’t trust a word it says other than to lull it it into a false sense of security.  Because it’s doing that exact same thing to you.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#48]
What is all this "atoms colliding" shit?  The brain don't have atoms colliding that would be fusion or a particle accelerator.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#49]
If logic is merely atoms colliding inside of your brain
View Quote

that's not what logic is.  logic is the mechanics of language - the rules by which language functions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
What is all this "atoms colliding" shit?  The brain don't have atoms colliding that would be fusion or a particle accelerator.
View Quote

Our brains are nukes?! CALL ME WARHEAD!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top