Yes or else churches wouldn’t ask for it
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Ibtl
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
“No man can serve two masters: for either he. will hate the one, and love the other; or else. he will hold to the one, and despise the other, Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”

A man can have money but is that his god is the question.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
No... instead

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does God want us to be consumed with money - not only in its accumulation, but with constant worry over it? I'm not a Bible scholar, and its careful study is definitely on my list, but I'd love to hear from anyone that has closely studied the scriptures and may have thoughts on specific passages in this regard.

View Quote

My take is God wants us to use money wisely and for good. It is not to be worshipped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Short answer, no.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Nothing wrong with being rich though and indebtedness is eschewed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
Somewhere in the NT.

Edit: beat like a red headed step child.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Disregard troll post.

God has no use for money beyond its use in spreading his word.

What man does is not indicative of anything otherwise.

Trolls need our prayers too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
No, and there are many references to this throughout the bible.  If you're interested in Christianity in the slightest, I highly recommend reading it in it's entirety.  That said, it's been quite a while since I've done so, so I can't cite chapter and verse anymore.  The Gospels are a good place to start, but don't ignore the rest like a lot of the more "progressive" denominations sometimes seem to.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering Christians are commanded to give 10% in the Bible itself you couldn’t be more wrong. Thanks for playing Spot the GD Atheist; you’re the winner!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Considering Christians are commanded to give 10% in the Bible itself you couldn’t be more wrong. Thanks for playing Spot the GD Atheist; you’re the winner!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh naw. You about get this stirred up. Be ready for verses about mint and dill and sacrificial beef being shared and the new covenant and giving willingly not under coercion.

Prepare from that from me in fact

I do give willingly but any church that tries to coerce a member probably needs to be examining the Bible more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Money is a tool and a lever of power (my statement, not God's). If we use it to build ourselves up, it's evil. If we - in submission - steward it for the spread of the Kingdom of God, it ain't. Using it to provide a safe, fun, and loving environment for the family we raise (ETA - within moderation, and making sure to be ready to share) is probably a good use as such. Using it to take monthly vacations to Cabo probably isn't.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also he’s probably talking about horrid grifters on tv asking people to do unbiblical things “sowing a seed” or making a “faith promise”

The money grubbing “church” in my area is even called Faith Promise. They’ve got ATMs in the lobby last I heard unless someone ran them out with a leather strop.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Proverbs 30:8-9
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
   give me neither poverty nor riches,
   but give me only my daily bread.
 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
   and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
   and so dishonor the name of my God.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. technically 10% was for the nation of Israel as a principle.
Christians are called to be generous understanding that God ownes everything.
I don't believe 10% is ever a command to the early Church. We should find ways to give as much as we can ..as responsibly as possible.

I think his point is that for most of the world their exposure to Christian giving are the hawkers on Christian TV ... which should be a concern for sure.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Why not pick up the Bible and find out for your self
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also he’s probably talking about horrid grifters on tv asking people to do unbiblical things “sowing a seed” or making a “faith promise”

The money grubbing “church” in my area is even called Faith Promise. They’ve got ATMs in the lobby last I heard unless someone ran them out with a leather strop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The churches that take credit cards for tithing really, really make me angry.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Bible is pretty big. The chances of a person “picking up a Bible” and finding a passage specifically about money is remote.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#26]

God has us walk on gold streets in heaven.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No... instead

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
View Quote
Nails it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Followers of Jesus Christ should only be consumed with trying their best to be Christ Like and represent the body.

Money has no power, controlling the game is where the power rests with secular man and secular man without Jesus is powerless.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's actually kinda convenient. I don't ever give in cash though...not when auto deduct, phone apps, venmo, exists haha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually kinda convenient. I don't ever give in cash though...not when auto deduct, phone apps, venmo, exists haha.

For me it’s the principle

Money changers in the outer courts.

That’s just the icing on the cake for that place
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shows how worthless it actually is huh. We will walk on it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like online? That came in handy during COVID. Mail getting lost with checks and such.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does God want us to be consumed with money - not only in its accumulation, but with constant worry over it? I'm not a Bible scholar, and its careful study is definitely on my list, but I'd love to hear from anyone that has closely studied the scriptures and may have thoughts on specific passages in this regard.

View Quote

No.  Jesus talked a lot about money.  He basically said to put your faith in God, and you'll be fine.

One of my favorite biblical stories is when they went out on the boat.  
Huge waves, and storm.  All the disciples were scared.  What was Jesus doing?  Sleeping.  He sure wasn't worried.  
They woke him up.  What did he say?  "Where is your faith!".  
He didn't say "Don't worry.  You're not going to drown."
He was telling them they could drown and die.  And when things get tough like that, put your faith in God.  Even drowning was no reason to worry.  
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%208%3A23-27&version=NIV
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
"The love of money is the root of all evil."
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Like online? That came in handy during COVID. Mail getting lost with checks and such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,  as in a card reader passed around with an offering plate. Paying a tithe with credit is just ridiculous in my view. Especially if someone doesn’t have the money and floats their tithe with credit. It’s flies in the face of scripture and indebtedness.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#38]
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Not my favorite verse as I have serious miser tendencies.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No,  as in a card reader passed around with an offering plate. Paying a tithe with credit is just ridiculous in my view. Especially if someone doesn’t have the money and floats their tithe with credit. It’s flies in the face of scripture and indebtedness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outside of a romans 13 quote I’m not familiar with a call to have no debt. And that’s regarding outstanding debt not being paid.

Credit card readers being passed though just sounds all kinds of trashy...and slow.

I use my credit card as much as possible and keep it paid off for the points and money back. I wasn’t always that disciplined though and definitely had my share of outstanding debt many moons ago.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

you understand that it costs money to have a church, and that money has to come from somewhere right?.....or do you think it's all .gov paid for?   skip the bullshit you don't pay taxes lie, we do pay taxes and probably far more than you.  Churches are supported solely by their membership, and the vast majority of churches in this country are barely hanging on, Joel Osteens church is an outlier.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#41]
He wants us to be smart with the money He provides, and pay it forward.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Some good posts. I'm gonna go back to Scripture for an example
Mitzvot is His Law, His Word, His Son, something Christ showed as an example of how we should live our lives
If we believe that's Yah' s Word is everlasting, then we need to be adhering to what the text says in Exodus, Deuteronomy and Leviticus.
Deuteronomy 8:11
“Be careful not to forget Adonai your God by not obeying his mitzvot, rulings and regulations that I am giving you today. 12 Otherwise, after you have eaten and are satisfied, built fine houses and lived in them, 13 and increased your herds, flocks, silver, gold and everything else you own, 14 you will become proud-hearted. Forgetting Adonai your God — who brought you out of the land of Egypt, where you lived as slaves; 15 who led you through the vast and fearsome desert, with its poisonous snakes, scorpions and waterless, thirsty ground; who brought water out of flint rock for you; 16 who fed you in the desert with man, unknown to your ancestors; all the while humbling and testing you in order to do you good in the end — 17 you will think to yourself, ‘My own power and the strength of my own hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18 No, you are to remember Adonai your God, because it is he who is giving you the power to get wealth, in order to confirm his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as is happening even today. 19 If you forget Adonai your God, follow other gods and serve and worship them, I am warning you in advance today that you will certainly perish. 20 You will perish just like the nations that Adonai is causing to perish ahead of you, because you will not have heeded the voice of Adonai your God.”
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#43]
There was no coinage in the time of the old testament.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a religion forum just for this type of topic but seems this is GD

There is no God and the Bible was written by man to gain control of a weak population.

Teach the mass that can't read and they will do anything for you.

Think for yourself and not what some book says that was probably written by someone with an eighth grade education.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Bible is pretty big. The chances of a person “picking up a Bible” and finding a passage specifically about money is remote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's an app for that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of an odd take.

Your tithe comes from money you’ve already got so it shouldn’t put you in debt.

To each his own, but I do all my financial stuff through a card, even to the church and other charities. I think we have paper checks somewhere but I couldn’t tell you where to look for them and I keep minimal cash on me.

?????
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes good road gravel.

.... and on to other thoughts. Can't quote exactly, but..  " if you don't owe anyone for your bed, who can take it?" Money has its purpose for us, use it wisely.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is a religion forum just for this type of topic but seems this is GD

There is no God and the Bible was written by man to gain control of a weak population.

Teach the mass that can't read and they will do anything for you.

Think for yourself and not what some book says that was probably written by someone with an eighth grade education.
View Quote

There is a forum for guns, and politics and even personal grooming.....but I am so sorry you were forced to click on this "stealth" religion thread, you were tricked, you should seek recompense.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There's an app for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's an app for that.

I believe it's called the Concordance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Nothing wrong with having money. But having money comes with its own temptations and struggles when it comes to making it an idol. If God has given you money, it is your responsibility to use it wisely.

And about tithing, that’s an Old Testament requirement. Under the New Testament, we are to give whatever we feel is right to give:

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top