Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2024 6:38:05 PM EDT
I turn wrenches for a living in an industrial application.  I also work on my own rust belt cars. In my past I have worked at a farm and worked on plenty of farm equipment. I've also worked in an automotive repair shop when I was a younger man.

I rarely break my tools. Very rarely. I seem to be able to sense that a tool is in danger of breakage and step up to a tool that will accomplish the task.

I've got 1/2" ratchets that can handle near 1000 nm or 737.5 ft lbs. Beyond that I've got a 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar.

There have been times I've chosen to sacrifice a tool. Doesn't happen often. I can see breaking a ratchet or specialized tool occasionally as they wear.  

Do you break your tools often? Why? Do you ever question yourself or just rely on the tool manufacturers to continually replace your shit?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been in the auto repair business for 39 years.  As I got older I realized what a pain in the ass it is to wait for a tool truck that only come once a week. Breaking tools is not an option if I can help it.  

Also, I've accumulated just about anything I'll need to get the job done safely.  Breaking tools is not safe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:
I've been in the auto repair business for 39 years.  As I got older I realized what a pain in the ass it is to wait for a tool truck that only come once a week. Breaking tools is not an option if I can help it.  

Also, I've accumulated just about anything I'll need to get the job done safely.  Breaking tools is not safe.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I turned wrenches from 1977 until 2013, including owning my own shop...I buy quality tools including the right ones for the job..Yeah shit breaks, but not a big deal..Guess I was lucky, if I ever needed anything off the tool trucks all I had to do is make a call, if they couldn't get by the shop I could send a parts runner to them to get a tool warrantied or bought..Never really had an issue with tools/breakage once I got a way from craftsman stuff back in the 70's...
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez, don't get the chrome vanadium guy started again in another thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What you have described comes with age and with age wisdom.  

The younger guys are impatient and ham fisted.  They don't understand the limitations of the different drive sizes and equate cost with quality.  They will occasionally put too much torque on a 3/8s drive instead of stepping up to the needed 1/2 or even 3/4 drive and complain about tool quality when it breaks.  They do not realize that quick release is a weaker anvil than ball detent anvils and over torque the tool until failure.

This is a blanket statement with a broad brush and all that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
What you have described comes with age and with age wisdom.  

The younger guys are impatient and ham fisted.  They don't understand the limitations of the different drive sizes and equate cost with quality.  They will occasionally put too much torque on a 3/8s drive instead of stepping up to the needed 1/2 or even 3/4 drive and complain about tool quality when it breaks.  They do not realize that quick release is a weaker anvil than ball detent anvils and over torque the tool until failure.

This is a blanket statement with a broad brush and all that.
View Quote

I agree. I think your blanket statement has merit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RTX:
View Quote

But it’s soft and brittle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I turned wrenches from 1977 until 2013, including owning my own shop...I buy quality tools including the right ones for the job..Yeah shit breaks, but not a big deal..Guess I was lucky, if I ever needed anything off the tool trucks all I had to do is make a call, if they couldn't get by the shop I could send a parts runner to them to get a tool warrantied or bought..Never really had an issue with tools/breakage once I got a way from craftsman stuff back in the 70's...
View Quote

I have broken tools before, but usually pretty rare. I have sacrificed prybars and punches, but even that is pretty rare these days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I bent the crap out of my craftsman 13/16 combination wrench trying to get off an over-tightened lug nut.  An old USA one.  Luckily I replaced it on eBay for 8 bucks.  Stuff like that.  Misplacing stuff, or loaning and forgetting is a much bigger problem with me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have broken tools from all the major brands, some wore out, pins in wobble sockets broke, poor fit due to wear.
40+ years of air tool use age will do that. Work on diesels and you will bust breaker bars, sockets and sometimes your
knuckles. A 4 foot cheater bar on stuff will explode things
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RTX:
View Quote

LOL! I've seen his stuff a couple of times and, while some of it may be correct, his pedantic (I had to look that up just to be sure) presentation is kinda off-putting. He reminds me of the Mopar expert on some car show that will bore one to tears with his "expertise".
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I break shit all the time, but it’s no big deal since my Snap-on dealer is also one of my customers and one of his Harleys is always in my shop for something

If I break anything I just call him up and he’ll bring me a new one if he’s got it on the truck
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Rust belt guy here. I very rarely break a tool. Penetrating oil, torch, patience. Probably have broken far more fasteners than tools.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GMTECH9:
I have broken tools from all the major brands, some wore out, pins in wobble sockets broke, poor fit due to wear.
40+ years of air tool use age will do that. Work on diesels and you will bust breaker bars, sockets and sometimes your
knuckles. A 4 foot cheater bar on stuff will explode things
View Quote

Breakage due to wear is no crime. That should be expected. Breaking ratchet after ratchet seems.....excessive...
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
I break shit all the time, but it’s no big deal since my Snap-on dealer is also one of my customers and one of his Harleys is always in my shop for something

If I break anything I just call him up and he’ll bring me a new one if he’s got it on the truck
View Quote

Why do you break shit all the time?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
small assorted picks, but ill bend or grind them into another tool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quintin] [#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I break junk free screwdrivers that I've accumulated over the years all the time using them as pry bars.

Other than that, no. Hell, I use non-impact sockets on my impact all the time and still don't break anything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Stuff that breaks for me is usually not a surprise. Ball end hex (Allen)sockets  have been my most recent two broken tools. They broke at the thin part below the ball, no surprise.

I do abuse a tekton flex head 1/4" drive ratchet a lot though. I bought it to see how good they are and I haven't managed to break it yet in 4 years of full time "professional" use. It's my most frequently used ratchet, and I work on warehouse equipment.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

View Quote

Harleys are pieces of shit, and people use way too much red loctite on everything

People also use anti seize where you’re supposed to use grease

Try to remove a swingarm pivot axle that someone put anti seize all over like ten years ago

It’ll basically be welded in place
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Bit sockets seem to be a consumable for me
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#22]
Ive been doing maintenance/repair/fab in some capacity for 20 years. One of my employers paid for welding school and then a machining program.

The majority of tools I’ve broken were end mills while I was self teaching on a Mazak VTC mill and then carbide inserts on a CNC lathe.

The Snap-on guy has swapped a lot of Torx bits and wore out flat head screw drivers over the years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
View Quote

I started my wrenching out with craftsman tools in the 70's. Broke a few of those too. But I still have and use most of my original set and the
Commercial top and bottom tool boxes. I think the US made tools of the 70's was stronger. IMO
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I almost never break anything and when I do its usually a torx bit or something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#25]
In the rust belt this tool will keep you from breaking your other tools.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't recall ever breaking a wrench or socket that didn't involve a piece of pipe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Stuff that breaks for me is usually not a surprise. Ball end hex (Allen)sockets  have been my most recent two broken tools. They broke at the thin part below the ball, no surprise.

I do abuse a tekton flex head 1/4" drive ratchet a lot though. I bought it to see how good they are and I haven't managed to break it yet in 4 years of full time "professional" use. It's my most frequently used ratchet, and I work on warehouse equipment.

View Quote

Check out Eight Tools.  Their taper ends are a lot tougher than standard ball ends

https://tbgarizona.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Harleys are pieces of shit, and people use way too much red loctite on everything

Try to remove a swingarm pivot axle that someone put anti seize all over like ten years ago

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So......any thoughts on how to break less tools?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luckypunk] [#29]
I have learned every tool has 2 purposes, its intended purpose and then either a prybar or hammer...and that's when shit breaks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been working on Cat equipment for almost 25 years, over that time I have broken a lot of tools. The biggest thing I have learnt is quality tools are worth the money.

The tools I have broken recently are swivel sockets, I use them all the time and they just don't hold up to the power the new Milwaukee m18 tools put out, especially at hard angles.
Impact adapters, 1" to 3/4" broke as I was hammering on a bunch of 46mm bolts in a tight spot. Couldn't get the 1" drive socket in but could get the 3/4 drive in there. Same for the smaller adapters.
Air tools have failed, impacts, die grinders etc, The company pays for them to be rebuilt or replaced so whenever they are down on power, we turn them in.
Ratchets have been rebuilt, breaker bar square drives snap, I have never used the crane on on these.
Screw driver and seal picks have had new shanks. Dull, worn  damaged.
I only remember 1 wrench breaking,
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Honestly I don’t give much thought to it

Snap-on has an excellent warranty and even if I have to pay to replace something it’s a tax deduction

Tools are gonna break, that’s just part of using them every day
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lee-online:
I have been working on Cat equipment for almost 25 years, over that time I have broken a lot of tools. The biggest thing I have learnt is quality tools are worth the money.

The tools I have broken recently are swivel sockets, I use them all the time and they just don't hold up to the power the new Milwaukee m18 tools put out, especially at hard angles.
Impact adapters, 1" to 3/4" broke as I was hammering on a bunch of 46mm bolts in a tight spot. Couldn't get the 1" drive socket in but could get the 3/4 drive in there. Same for the smaller adapters.
Air tools have failed, impacts, die grinders etc, The company pays for them to be rebuilt or replaced so whenever they are down on power, we turn them in.
Ratchets have been rebuilt, breaker bar square drives snap, I have never used the crane on on these.
Screw driver and seal picks have had new shanks. Dull, worn  damaged.
I only remember 1 wrench breaking,
View Quote

I don't equate hammering on swivel sockets on huge bolt heads with large impacts to be abuse. More wear due to extreme conditions.  I would expect you would use the largest tool available and possible in these conditions rather than just breaking 3/8 drive ratchet after ratchet when it's obvious a larger tool would do the job.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Snap-on has an excellent warranty and even if I have to pay to replace something it’s a tax deduction

View All Quotes

No. No it isn't.

I find it odd to even consider that reality. I turn wrenches for a living and I don't break anything. I'd fuck up a lot of machines using enough torque to break a ratchet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Broke a 12" crescent wrench, it didn't like holding 1 1/4” nut while I air impacted the bolt.

& I twisted the nub off a fairly new craftsman  3/8 ratchet while using a 1/2" deep socket, sears replaced it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont think I have ever broken any tool, that I was using properly.

But where I live, kroil and heat are my two most relied upon “tools”.

I’d love to get one of those induction heaters like pictured above, but they are not cheap!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#36]

No. No it isn't.

I find it odd to even consider that reality. I turn wrenches for a living and I don't break anything. I'd fuck up a lot of machines using enough torque to break a ratchet.
View Quote

I’m not talking about just ratchets

I break sockets all the time, especially smaller Torx sockets and hex key sockets with ball ends

Just the other day I broke a T-45 trying to get these brake rotor screws out of a wheel

Attachment Attached File

As you can see some dipshit coated the entire fastener with red loctite when you only need a drop

You can apply heat to these but not a lot because there’s a sealed bearing that sits right next to them

Before I opened my own shop I worked along side several other techs at a dealership and people were constantly breaking shit, there’s nothing odd about it

It just happens
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#37]
As I’ve become a good mechanic, I never break tools anymore. I think breaking tools is 99% abuse, and 1% random bad luck. I also use quality tools now, where I used a lot of craftsman before, and destroyed many many of their raised panel ratchets and wrenches.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't broken many, but it's inevitable to break something occasionally.

I once worked at a Ford dealer, and I was the front-end guy. There was one 19mm bolt that I had to loosen on the LCA of trucks & SUVs that you could only get the open end of a wrench on, and it took a lot of force to get it to move.

I broke one wrench about every other month.

I bought a Craftsman pro wrench to use while waiting for the Snap On guy to come back around. That one never broke. It became the primary instead of the backup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#39]

I don't equate hammering on swivel sockets on huge bolt heads with large impacts to be abuse. More wear due to extreme conditions.  I would expect you would use the largest tool available and possible in these conditions rather than just breaking 3/8 drive ratchet after ratchet when it's obvious a larger tool would do the job.
View Quote

Most of the ratchets and breaker bars were my 3/4 and  1/2. I have a long snapon 1/2 breaker bar with a 4 foot handle, The square drive is the weak point on that tool and its broke a few times. I only use it when the 3/4 stuff wont fit.

I was just on KC tools ordering a replacement allen wrench that I broke the ball off.  Deep in a valve using the long end it was a little too tight so I did what anyone would do, put a wrench on the small end for more leverage. Snapped it clean off. These are wera stainless and are really strong when using the short end.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
I dont think I have ever broken any tool, that I was using properly.

But where I live, kroil and heat are my two most relied upon “tools”.

I’d love to get one of those induction heaters like pictured above, but they are not cheap!
View Quote

I immediately looked them up when he posted that. Very cool and I'd love to have one but I'm not dropping $500 on one. I guess I'll wait until China rips it off and sells it for $60 at Harbor Freight.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
30 years full time wrench for money.

I rarely break a tool, and even more rarely lose one. Think I lost one 5/16 1/4 drive socket and one flashlight in the last 10 years.

They do wear out, though. That is definitely a thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm not talking about just ratchets

I break sockets all the time, especially smaller Torx sockets and hex key sockets with ball ends

Just the other day I broke a T-45 trying to get these brake rotor screws out of a wheel

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498043/IMG_1197_jpeg-3305643.JPG

As you can see some dipshit coated the entire fastener with red loctite when you only need a drop

You can apply heat to these but not a lot because there's a sealed bearing that sits right next to them

Before I opened my own shop I worked along side several other techs at a dealership and people were constantly breaking shit, there's nothing odd about it

It just happens
View Quote
Torx and Allen probably do break more than others, I have to give you this one.  But I think OP was more in the discussion line of ratchets and wrenches.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#43]
I used mid '90's Craftsman tools professionally almost exclusively for a decade. After a few years, I did upgrade anything that could be stripped out to Snap On, but in that time, the only tools I ever broke beyond wearing out a couple ratchet mechanisms were Torx bits.

If you're using the right tool for the job, they don't break often.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lee-online:

Most of the ratchets and breaker bars were my 3/4 and  1/2. I have a long snapon 1/2 breaker bar with a 4 foot handle, The square drive is the weak point on that tool and its broke a few times. I only use it when the 3/4 stuff wont fit.

I was just on KC tools ordering a replacement allen wrench that I broke the ball off.  Deep in a valve using the long end it was a little too tight so I did what anyone would do, put a wrench on the small end for more leverage. Snapped it clean off. These are wera stainless and are really strong when using the short end.
View Quote

https://tbgarizona.com/

Check out the Eight Tools taper end hex keys. Much stronger than my beloved Weras. The standard Wera are considerably stronger than the Stainless. The Eight tools are a step above the Wera standard.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#45]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I immediately looked them up when he posted that. Very cool and I'd love to have one but I'm not dropping $500 on one. I guess I'll wait until China rips it off and sells it for $60 at Harbor Freight.

View Quote

You can get a Chinese nut heater for $200 or less.

$270 for 1500 watts
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]

No. No it isn't.

View Quote

Maybe your level of wrench turning ,  ( machines ), is a bit different. Each machine fastener has specific torques. And may not be affected by weather, road conditions, the environment
and age of the components.  Tool breakage should be at a minimum if proper procedures are followed. Just my idle thoughts . . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

The Chinese induction heaters don’t work as well or last very long in a shop with multiple techs using them every day. Customer service for the Chinese induction heaters is almost non-existent as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#48]

$270 for 1500 watts
View All Quotes

$270 for 1500 watts

Damn. I'm off to hunt for one. I could've used one today!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By vinyl:

The Chinese induction heaters don’t work as well or last very long in a shop with multiple techs using them every day. Customer service for the Chinese induction heaters is almost non-existent as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vinyl:

No, but it'll work for me once every couple weeks or so!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Maybe your level of wrench turning ,  ( machines ), is a bit different. Each machine fastener has specific torques. And may not be affected by weather, road conditions, the environment
and age of the components.  Tool breakage should be at a minimum if proper procedures are followed. Just my idle thoughts . . .
View All Quotes

No. No it isn't.

I've been working on cars in the rust belt for over 35 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top