Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy at Eight Tools is going to send me info on the torx bits. There website is not the best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Most of the tools I had to warranty or replace were normal wear and tear type things.  I've had a couple of hand ratchets rebuilt, broke things like screwdrivers and picks, and had many air tools overhauled.  Nothing really crazy or out of the ordinary.  I own a mix of everything, from Pittsburgh to Snap-On/Matco/Mac/Cornwell.

Edit - I've broken my share of sockets, usually chrome sockets using them on a cordless impact.  All brands.  Never had any issues getting any of them replaced.
View Quote

I am by no means a professional nor do I use my tools to make a living.  But screwdrivers always seem to be something I screw up.  Using an impact driver and bits, when appropriate, has helped with this.  Proper tool, and all that, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
What you have described comes with age and with age wisdom.  

The younger guys are impatient and ham fisted.  They don't understand the limitations of the different drive sizes and equate cost with quality.  They will occasionally put too much torque on a 3/8s drive instead of stepping up to the needed 1/2 or even 3/4 drive and complain about tool quality when it breaks.  They do not realize that quick release is a weaker anvil than ball detent anvils and over torque the tool until failure.

This is a blanket statement with a broad brush and all that.
View Quote

+you forgot to add their probably using there dads tools and Not Thiers and doing horrible things with them without a care.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bunnysriflestock:
Not a professional but I raced cars at English town and Atco a lot so I was working with my tools a lot.

Only ever broke one Snap On impact socket that was a constantly used size. Snap On guy replaced.
3/8 Dual 80 Long handle ratchet broke the ratcheting mechanism which was my mostly used ratchet. Snap On guy replaced it by handing me a new one.
1/4 Dual 80 Small hard handle broke the ratcheting mechanism after 20 years of owning. Took pictures emailed Snap On and they sent me a rebuild kit.

Cracked a Williams USA Chrome Deep socket. Emailed Williams and they sent me a replacement.
Broke a lot of of those Lisle Black oxide Hex and Torque socket bits back in the day before I switched to the Snap On Gold socket bits.
Broke quit a few of the old Red Hard handle Craftsman USA Ratcheting screw drivers before I switched to Snap On Ratcheting screw drivers.

View Quote

Both strips closed now
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm probably going to buy this set to see if the great steel and hard chrome will wear as well as my Hazet tin coated hex bits.

https://tbgarizona.com/ols/products/83sb-s5

They have the torx bits on the website but I didn't see a set.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By airbender:

+you forgot to add their probably using there dads tools and Not Thiers and doing horrible things with them without a care.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airbender:
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
What you have described comes with age and with age wisdom.  

The younger guys are impatient and ham fisted.  They don't understand the limitations of the different drive sizes and equate cost with quality.  They will occasionally put too much torque on a 3/8s drive instead of stepping up to the needed 1/2 or even 3/4 drive and complain about tool quality when it breaks.  They do not realize that quick release is a weaker anvil than ball detent anvils and over torque the tool until failure.

This is a blanket statement with a broad brush and all that.

It really seems that people develop habits of breaking shit without any real thought to using the proper tool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Broken some bits ( like torx bits, etc ) and the occasional drill bit or screwdriver ( I have ripped the tips off a flat blade screwdriver a couple times )   but otherwise one or two cracked sockets over the years, nothing significant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bob243:
Broken some bits ( like torx bits, etc ) and the occasional drill bit or screwdriver ( I have ripped the tips off a flat blade screwdriver a couple times )   but otherwise one or two cracked sockets over the years, nothing significant.
View Quote

I buy heavy duty flat blade screwdrivers at the flea market for $1 to abuse.

I honestly cannot recall the last socket I broke.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
I'm probably going to buy this set to see if the great steel and hard chrome will wear as well as my Hazet tin coated hex bits.

View Quote

The 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm was $27.45 with shipping from Michigan.  We will see how hard chrome does against tin coating
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]

The 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm was $27.45 with shipping from Michigan.  We will see how hard chrome does against tin coating
View All Quotes

Pretties!!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I turn wrenches for a living in an industrial application.  I also work on my own rust belt cars. In my past I have worked at a farm and worked on plenty of farm equipment. I've also worked in an automotive repair shop when I was a younger man.

I rarely break my tools. Very rarely. I seem to be able to sense that a tool is in danger of breakage and step up to a tool that will accomplish the task.

I've got 1/2" ratchets that can handle near 1000 nm or 737.5 ft lbs. Beyond that I've got a 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar.

There have been times I've chosen to sacrifice a tool. Doesn't happen often. I can see breaking a ratchet or specialized tool occasionally as they wear.  

Do you break your tools often? Why? Do you ever question yourself or just rely on the tool manufacturers to continually replace your shit?
View Quote

I don’t wrench for a living.

I have that Hazet 916HP 1/2” ratchet. The simple question is, why am I using a manual ratchet/wrench, if I need to exceed even 400ft-lbs?

Sure, I can do it, but that’s what the M18 Fuel 1/2” impact is for. Just ugga-dugga that shit right off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

I have that Hazet 916HP 1/2” ratchet. The simple question is, why am I using a manual ratchet/wrench, if I need to exceed even 400ft-lbs?

Sure, I can do it, but that’s what the M18 Fuel 1/2” impact is for. Just ugga-dugga that shit right off.
View All Quotes
I turn wrenches for a living in an industrial application.  I also work on my own rust belt cars. In my past I have worked at a farm and worked on plenty of farm equipment. I've also worked in an automotive repair shop when I was a younger man.

I rarely break my tools. Very rarely. I seem to be able to sense that a tool is in danger of breakage and step up to a tool that will accomplish the task.

I've got 1/2" ratchets that can handle near 1000 nm or 737.5 ft lbs. Beyond that I've got a 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar.

There have been times I've chosen to sacrifice a tool. Doesn't happen often. I can see breaking a ratchet or specialized tool occasionally as they wear.  

Do you break your tools often? Why? Do you ever question yourself or just rely on the tool manufacturers to continually replace your shit?

Access my friend! My big Milwaukee is a miracle of modern engineering but she got a fat ass son!

The worst part is when you need stupid torque and there is no good body position to get on the ratchet to give it hell! Lol!
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Access my friend! My big Milwaukee is a miracle of modern engineering but she got a fat ass son!

The worst part is when you need stupid torque and there is no good body position to get on the ratchet to give it hell! Lol!
View All Quotes

Fair enough.

*** engineers putting high torque fasteners in spaces with minimal clearance, are a-holes
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Lifetime working on old machinery and old cars, have broken tools, worn them out and cut them apart and modified for one off jobs .
It is part of the work if you do a lot of it
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top