Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations on a good brand to use on both a FortiGate 201 and a Cisco 2960X POE switch
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's for home use. Fiber store.  if it's for professional use fiber store, and buy spares. It's mission critical higher in third-party or OEM.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I know nothing about Fortigate and Cisco products so this may be a useless post . But, how much distance do you need to cover?  RJ45 to SFPs get hot most of the time and suck power.  If it is a short run, would a DAC work?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saker13:
I know nothing about Fortigate and Cisco products so this may be a useless post . But, how much distance do you need to cover?  RJ45 to SFPs get hot most of the time and suck power.  If it is a short run, would a DAC work?
View Quote

That's a consideration, as this is a single-rack homelab run (They're 2U apart, in reality).  I was trying to future-proof things somewhat, but a DAC isn't out of the question for now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If they're close, definitely go for a DAC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Fs.com
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Wiitek module will work for anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, do a before and after power assessment -- whatever you think you're going to gain using those transceivers from a speed perspective, you will pay for in power and heat. Also, I can't count how many of those I've discovered in a failing/failed state, brand hasn't mattered, but fs.com is fine as others have recommended -- buy spares.

If it starts acting up, throw it away and move on.  Don't forget to tell your switch you'll be using an unsupported transceiver.

Also, in case you're interested in upgrading that 2960x to something that performs 10GBaseT natively, and is inexpensive used, with uPOE, I'd recommend a Cisco 3850 model -- WS-C3850-24XU-L.  Downgrade it to 16.6, implement the advanced ip services RTU license level, then upgrade it to 16.12. (I only advocate this for a home lab/learning environent so as not to be downmodded into oblivion)
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Appreciate all the info and advice.  I'm having to rethink the setup a little bit, I just found out I can get 2gig fiber for the same price I was paying for 1gig.  The FortiGate won't support uplinks higher than 1gb, so I think I'm going to go with an OPNsense box with a dual 10gb fiber NIC into the Cisco.  It also depends on if 5G cellular SDWAN is as easy on OPNsense as it is on the FortiGate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I route my 2G internet into my switch on a dedicated vlan and port aggergiate on my Palo FW to get past the 1G port limitation. It works very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ssteph] [#11]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Appreciate all the info and advice.  I'm having to rethink the setup a little bit, I just found out I can get 2gig fiber for the same price I was paying for 1gig.  The FortiGate won't support uplinks higher than 1gb, so I think I'm going to go with an OPNsense box with a dual 10gb fiber NIC into the Cisco.  It also depends on if 5G cellular SDWAN is as easy on OPNsense as it is on the FortiGate.
View Quote

The Fortigate supports link aggregation very nicely using 802.3ad/LACP - just set a couple ports on your cisco as 'channel group {x} mode active' and define your Po as switchport mode trunk, then set up your FG to use VLANs to segregate traffic.  You'll have one for your WAN side, and the remainder as you wish, LAN, DMZ, IOT, whatever.

I'd recommend 2x links in a port channel for your internet agg link and 2x (or heck, even 4) links for the remainder of your network. I'm assuming this is a FG201E.  If so, it'll work fine.

That 2960X *may* not support multigig, however, so there's concern there.  Let's just map this out, and make an assumption that it does:
On the cisco side: simplified:

vlan 10
name inet
!
vlan 20
name lan
!
vlan 30
name dmz
!
vlan 40
name iot
!
Int Po1
descr Fortigate firewall inet uplink
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10
!
Int Po2
descr Fortigate firewall lan uplink
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,30,40
!
int Te1/1/1
 descr ISP uplink
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 10
!
Int range Gi1/0/1-2
 descr WAN uplink members to Fortigate
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10
 channel-group 1 mode active
!
Int range Gi1/0/3-6
 descr LAN uplink members to Fortigate
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,30,40
 channel-group 2 mode active
!
Int range Gi1/0/7-24
 descr LAN
 switchport access vlan 20
 spanning-tree portfast
!
Int range Gi1/0/25-36
 descr DMZ
 switchport access vlan 30
 spanning-tree portfast
!
Int range Gi1/0/37-48
 descr IOT
 switchport access vlan 30
 spanning-tree portfast
!
int vlan20
 ip address x.y.z.a/prefix
!
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
ip route 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0
ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

On the fortigate side, simplified:

config system interface
 edit "internet_aggregate"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set type aggregate
   set member "port1" "port2"
 next
 edit "lan_aggregate"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set type aggregate
   set member "port3" "port4" "port5" "port6"
 next
 edit "internet"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set mode dhcp
   set interface "wan_aggregate"
   set vlanid 10
 next
 edit "lan"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set ip x.y.z.a/prefix
   set interface "lan_aggregate"
   set vlanid 20
 next
 edit "dmz"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set ip x.y.z.a/prefix
   set vlanid 30
 next
 edit "iot"
   set vdom "whatever"
   set ip x.y.z.a/prefix
   set vlanid 40
 next
next

I'd recommend using a separate VDOM for your home stuff, and then create additional VDOMs for lab interactivity. You can route between VDOMs easily using dynamic routing protocols to save headache/time with intervdom links.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ssteph:

I'd recommend using a separate VDOM for your home stuff, and then create additional VDOMs for lab interactivity. You can route between VDOMs easily using dynamic routing protocols to save headache/time with intervdom links.

Good luck!
View Quote

Good stuff, thanks. And this is entirely on the lab side, the actual wife-side internet is quietly served by a Netgear Orbi mesh.  Boring and reliable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

Good stuff, thanks. And this is entirely on the lab side, the actual wife-side internet is quietly served by a Netgear Orbi mesh.  Boring and reliable.
View Quote

I actually advocate for pushing the wife/family onto your enterprise-lite grade deployment there, if only for the additional pressure that it provides to "Get it right -- the first time, every time."

Somehow, my wife knows exactly when I'll be doing any kind of maintenance -- firmware updates, some topology shifts, whatever.. and just when I think I'm (self) cleared hot to proceed, "Honey, is the internet down?"

"You gotta be kidding me.. you were out in the back yard in the garden watering, and somehow you chose right now to use your laptop?"

I should hire her as NOC personnel to monitor complex subsystems -- she could wake up from a dead sleep if the internet isn't working. No idea how she does it -- I have active monitoring in place for such events and she beats it every time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcCall] [#14]
Originally Posted By ssteph:

I actually advocate for pushing the wife/family onto your enterprise-lite grade deployment there, if only for the additional pressure that it provides to "Get it right -- the first time, every time."

View Quote

I see the logic, but I like having the ability to work on things as I have time, tear hardware apart, etc. and come back to it whenever.  It's my project car, not her DD
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
True future proofing would be using a single mode fiber jumper between each device and using the modules called for by the manufacturer (or at least coded alternatives from a vendor such as FS). This way when you update to hardware that supports 25G, 40G or 100G you just swap out your transceivers. If you need to focus on minimizing latency (really shouldn't really run into this in a homelab type environment) then you would want to run DACs specifically but for most homelab type applications the propagation difference between fiber and DAC is minimal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the line on fs.com
I've never heard of this company...but some of their products look very cool
And the price points are cool...gonna do some more research on their lineup
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 6:40:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#17]
Originally Posted By ezli:
Thanks for the line on fs.com
I've never heard of this company...but some of their products look very cool
And the price points are cool...gonna do some more research on their lineup
View Quote

Besides them I am also a big fan of Infinite Cables. They are also very price competitive. Almost all of my Cat 6 cables have come from them. Their slim patch cables are also very nice for rack use.

Edit- Also with Infinite Cables the length does not include the plug. I got some Monoprice 6" slim patch cables and was surprised they really mean 6" including the plugs. 6" between the plugs is what Infinite does and allows a little more versatility going between something like a switch and patch panel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top