Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2024 2:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork]
Forgive my ignorance; I'm not much of a gamer anymore.

My son and I want to get a racing game and steering wheel with feedback, pedals, and manual shifter. I guess my question is do we want GT7 or Forza? Help me out guys.

I already have a decent "gaming" laptop but have no problem buying a PS5 since all of our consoles are outdated. As far as the wheel goes, I'm looking at the Logitech G923 with the additional shifter accessory.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Is Expensive Sim Racing ACTUALLY Worth It?
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 12:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smitty908] [#2]
OP,

GT7 is better than Forza IMO.

This is the setup I use (with the PSVR2).

With the VR, GT7 is the best experience you can get without spending tons of money on a PC VR setup.

The entire interior of the cars is modeled, and it feels like you’re sitting inside.

This is gameplay footage from mine.. (use 1080)

It’s so immersive, that when racing in online “leagues” I’m literally sweating by the end of it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Fanatec dd1 is what I have.

I don't have a shifter.

If you and your son get serious I am going to recommend a PC.

Also GT7 is unbearable online. Too many assholes.

League racing is better and best on PC.

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Got_Guns:
Fanatec dd1 is what I have.

I don't have a shifter.

If you and your son get serious I am going to recommend a PC.

Also GT7 is unbearable online. Too many assholes.

League racing is better and best on PC.

View Quote

Agreed about the “daily races” on GT7 with randos.

I only race in lobbies with specific groups that don’t act like that..
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Gran Turismo is such a great game. it sucks its only on playstation and you are stuck with fanatec or plastic.

for PC I use a moza R9, a CSv2 wheel, sprint pedals, moza H pattern shifter and a simagic load cell E-brake.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a G923. Once it is set up properly it is a decent wheel for the money. Getting the set-up right is extremely important.

I play FH5 & also iRacing on PC. I run a 5800X, x570, 3080Ti, 3 32” 1440 monitors.

I also have FM8, it was shit at release. Haven’t played it in a while.

If you like open world arcade style FH5 is a lot of fun. Once you get the money side down  it falls into place.

iRacing is extremely structured. It’s time consuming, expensive, & competitive. I really recommend it if you want to actually get on track.

Link Posted: 8/7/2024 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
I use a G923. Once it is set up properly it is a decent wheel for the money. Getting the set-up right is extremely important.

I play FH5 & also iRacing on PC. I run a 5800X, x570, 3080Ti, 3 32" 1440 monitors.

I also have FM8, it was shit at release. Haven't played it in a while.

If you like open world arcade style FH5 is a lot of fun. Once you get the money side down  it falls into place.

iRacing is extremely structured. It's time consuming, expensive, & competitive. I really recommend it if you want to actually get on track.

View Quote

BRO.... its well passed time for a DD wheel. I tried my brothers 923 before I got my moza. its like a 22 vs a 9mm. not even the same ballpark. get something with 9-12nm and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

BRO.... its well passed time for a DD wheel. I tried my brothers 923 before I got my moza. its like a 22 vs a 9mm. not even the same ballpark. get something with 9-12nm and you'll be set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I play FH5 & also iRacing on PC. I run a 5800X, x570, 3080Ti, 3 32" 1440 monitors.

iRacing is extremely structured. It's time consuming, expensive, & competitive. I really recommend it if you want to actually get on track.

I put the extra money into my X1C /AMS.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
I'm in the market for a bambu myself. I just cant bring myself to spend $700 on a bare P1S and its 950 for P1S with AMS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Even a good belt drive wheel is a massive upgrade from the Logitec junk. My T300 absolutely blows away my old G27.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the market for a bambu myself. I just cant bring myself to spend $700 on a bare P1S and its 950 for P1S with AMS.
View All Quotes

I get it, we all have our priorities.

On the surface what you have into your control system & mineis the difference in cost of me step up to an X1C w/ AMS.

My printer runs all the time, I don’t use my wheel near as much.

Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Even a good belt drive wheel is a massive upgrade from the Logitec junk. My T300 absolutely blows away my old G27.

There is a big difference between a g27 & a g923.

As I said prior, just having the proper settings in a g923 makes an absolutely massive difference.  When I got mine I went through all the “YouTubers” recommended settings. They were all shit.

I spent about 2 weeks going through everything & fine tuning it for each application. It is so much different I can’t explain it.

Since then I’ve shared my settings with others that absolutely hated their g923’s, following the same “guides” I used, to absolutely loving them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]

On the surface what you have into your control system & mineis the difference in cost of me step up to an X1C w/ AMS.

View All Quotes

It's still gear driven though. Does it not make all the horrible racket that the G27 does every time you hit a bump?
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 5:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#13]

It's still gear driven though. Does it not make all the horrible racket that the G27 does every time you hit a bump?
View All Quotes

No, because I turned that setting down. It may not be adjustable in the g27, but depending on the game/ sim code it falls under off-road feedback scale. I turned it down so I know when the wheels are there, but it’s not annoying or loud.

You can also find a good balance between force feedback main pressure, force feedback scale, & road / off-road feedback scale.

Steering linearity also comes into play also.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
dd1 is the way to go.  forget about a game on ps5.  look at iRacing on a pc.  its the most realistic sim on the market.  a lot of real drivers race and you can run into them from time to time
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 7:59:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#15]
Originally Posted By JMichael99:
dd1 is the way to go.  forget about a game on ps5.  look at iRacing on a pc.  its the most realistic sim on the market.  a lot of real drivers race and you can run into them from time to time
View Quote

These posts should come with disclaimers of things I didn’t know when I got into iRacing…

Like I said, iRacing is for you if you have a lot of time, money, & want to actually get on track.

Go a mile over the pit speed limit? Black Flag for you! Come back to the pits so we can waste your time!

Go slower than we want? “You’ve upset the officials mucking it up! Black flag for you!”

That’s even in a private test drive session, with no other people & no other point than to practice & learn a track? Yep!

Wait, I have to pay $100/year for a subscription to play, then I have to buy every car & track separately? Yeah ya do!

I say this as an individual that tries to get on for a few hrs a week & has close to $1K in this sim.

Yes, that is $1 with 3 zeros behind it, before the decimal, for “a game”.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#16]

These posts should come with disclaimers of things I didn’t know when I got into iRacing…

Like I said, iRacing is for you if you have a lot of time, money, & want to actually get on track.

Go a mile over the pit speed limit? Black Flag for you! Come back to the pits so we can waste your time!

Go slower than we want? “You’ve upset the officials mucking it up! Black flag for you!”

That’s even in a private test drive session, with no other people & no other point than to practice & learn a track? Yep!

Wait, I have to pay $100/year for a subscription to play, then I have to buy every car & track separately? Yeah ya do!

I say this as an individual that tries to get on for a few hrs a week & has close to $1K in this sim.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JMichael99:

iRacing definitely isn't for everyone. Probably not even for most people getting into sim racing. Used my free 3 months from the SCCA.  There's only a few tracks and cars included from each series.  Moving to a new series meant buying cars and tracks. I spent a bit of money and realized why they give out the free membership coupons. That shit was going to cost me hundreds of dollars.

I went back to ACC. I believe it's a better sim than iRacing. It's limited to just GT3/GT4 type stuff, but the driving experience is great and multi-player racing is at least as clean as iRacing.  The base game has quite a bit of content, buying the expansions isn't necessary.

Assetto Corsa 2 should be out this year.  Probably a must buy for PC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 8:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#17]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

iRacing definitely isn't for everyone. Probably not even for most people getting into sim racing. Used my free 3 months from the SCCA.  There's only a few tracks and cars included from each series.  Moving to a new series meant buying cars and tracks. I spent a bit of money and realized why they give out the free membership coupons. That shit was going to cost me hundreds of dollars.

I went back to ACC. I believe it's a better sim than iRacing. It's limited to just GT3/GT4 type stuff, but the driving experience is great and multi-player racing is at least as clean as iRacing.  The base game has quite a bit of content, buying the expansions isn't necessary.

Assetto Corsa 2 should be out this year.  Probably a must buy for PC.
View Quote
this. ACC is probably a better game technically speaking than I racing. if you are a hard core racer and want to race lots of online series and can set aside specific times every week to do a specific race AND cost isnt a factor than yeah go for iRacing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]
this. ACC is probably a better game technically speaking than I racing. if you are a hard core racer and want to race lots of online series and can set aside specific times every week to do a specific race AND cost isnt a factor than yeah go for iRacing.
View Quote

Ah yes, also easier to just jump in a quick multiplayer race with ACC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top