Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See if your boss will give you a key.  Then you can come in a bit early and knock it out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you’re spending increasingly more time dealing with this shit, it’s a problem. It’s not difficult, but I’ve got better things to do with my time. I’ve found most people don’t know how to scan with pdf with their phones or don’t know the capability even exists. People have to learn how to work with technology. My company stopped taking paper checks as payment a while back. Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth. We take eChecks with no additional fees. People finally calmed down after a while.

See if your boss will give you a key.  Then you can come in a bit early and knock it out

or work from home to transfer jpegs
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You get signatures that look like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279183/IMG_0985-3251206.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao

This is how things were done before Adobe had the digital signature option.  Client would print out the contract or form, sign/initial and date, then scan and send it back to me so I could get the ball rolling, so I wouldn't have to wait to get the wet signatures by snail mail.  

This was done for contracts worth 10's of millions of dollars.

Ahh, I misunderstood your OP.  I get what you're saying now.  I have a signature saved in Adobe with my actual signature that I made with my touchscreen on my computer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ahh, I misunderstood your OP.  I get what you're saying now.  I have a signature saved in Adobe with my actual signature that I made with my touchscreen on my computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao

This is how things were done before Adobe had the digital signature option.  Client would print out the contract or form, sign/initial and date, then scan and send it back to me so I could get the ball rolling, so I wouldn't have to wait to get the wet signatures by snail mail.  

This was done for contracts worth 10's of millions of dollars.

I’d be fine with a digital signature like you’re describing. No one does that, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You don't need to do all that rigamarole to turn a JPEG into a PDF old man.  Assuming you have Adobe Acrobat installed:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-3251222.JPG

View Quote

I have Adobe. This option didn't show up unless I clicked on "show more options." This Boomer thanks you for saving me some time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Digital signatures:

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They’re not signing with their actual signature. They are just choosing a font that looks like cursive.
View Quote

Yeah, that's not kosher.

It's not a signature, period.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The way it was explained to me by my notorized attorney is it doesn't matter. "Make your mark, it could just be an X or whatever the hell you want"

Nobody is going to match signatures, just that there is a witness to "I agree".

Same when I sign contracts at work, always with company name and title. I'm acting as officer of company, not personally
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I don't understand, but a signature is cursive.

Ever legally binding thing I've done was my name in cursive.
The way it was explained to me by my notorized attorney is it doesn't matter. "Make your mark, it could just be an X or whatever the hell you want"

Same when I sign contracts at work, always with company name and title. I'm acting as officer of company, not personally
Bingo. Concerning wet signatures, depending on my mood, my signature varies from cursive, print, "X", "-" or a dick. I'd be shocked if I ever made the same signature twice.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
go run this by someone < 20yo

they dont even do signatures anymore

Exactly. They don't know how.
Signed,
X
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Running into a rash of new customers who think it’s totally acceptable to sign legal documents in a font that looks like cursive writing.

I’m a customs broker and new customers have to sign a power of attorney authorizing us to act on their behalf with CBP. Our POA is a PDF you can type in and sign with a legit digital signature (such as through Adobe or other electronic representation of your actual signature). Some people will actually print POA, complete by hand, and physically sign it. I don’t care as long as it’s legible.

I had an argument with someone this morning who insisted the cursive font was a legal signature. I told him it wasn’t. Anyone could “sign” a document that way. There’s no way of proving who signed it.

And don’t get me started on the people who “scan” documents with their phone as .jpeg files when I need PDFs and also put their documents in the body of emails instead of an attachment. I’m done dumping jpegs into a Word doc and saving as PDF. I can and have given people instructions to scan to pdf on both iPhone and Android.

ETA: type of typed signature in fancy font I get

View Quote

Totally agree, the cursive font isn't a legit signature
I'm not surprised that people think that, though, IQs have dropped sharply
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bingo. Concerning wet signatures, depending on my mood, my signature varies from cursive, print, "X", "-" or a dick. I'd be shocked if I ever made the same signature twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I don't understand, but a signature is cursive.

Ever legally binding thing I've done was my name in cursive.

This is the benefit of consulting an attorney instead of GD.

OP, what does your company policy state on the matter? Has your company consulting an attorney familiar with your industry and locality to determine what is applicable to your business (especially in light of the POA)? Is this your business, or someplace you work?

Electronic signature != Digital signature.

You can "sign" a contract via email by typing your name into it if you want. An electronic signature is “an electronic sound, symbol, or process attached to or logically associated with a record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record."

An e-sign platform is easier for everyone, including your lawyer if the contract is challenged.

https://www.findlaw.com/smallbusiness/business-operations/contracts-and-electronic-signatures.html

This is specific to Texas:

In interpreting these requirements, Texas courts have generally found that an electronic signature is enforceable if the sender signs off on the email with his or her name and if it is reasonably apparent from the context of the communications, or from the parties’ actions, that both sides have agreed to conduct transactions electronically. Courts have generally recognized that an email is signed if the sender’s name is on an email, the email is generated from the sender’s email address and closes with at least the sender’s first name, or if it contains a header with the sender’s name even if the typed name does not appear at the bottom of the email itself. For example, in Parks v. Seybold, the 5th Court of Appeals in Dallas held that emails concluding with “Thank you, Clyde Parks” immediately above a block containing Parks’ full name and contact information sufficiently demonstrated that Parks had signed the emails himself.

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=articles&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=38641
https://casetext.com/case/parks-v-seybold-1
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of you need to read up on ESIGN and UETA.  It's a little industry dependent and OP may have a proper gripe, I don't know.  But with a LOT of industries, the OP describes a proper signature, so long as the signature can be appropriated to the person who signed it.  This can be done as simply as asking that person if it was them who signed it.

Adobe's Acrobat Standard signature function allows a user to sign exactly how the OP describes, and it's compliant with UETA.  There are serious concerns, however, with the security of these signatures. (There is none)  There are upgraded features to allow certificates, fwiw.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Another new customer just threw a hissy fit over my objections to their CEO “signing” the power of attorney with typing his name in a fancy font. When I told him he had to sign it in ink or with a digital signature, dude lost it. Doesn’t seem to understand the concept that’s not a legal signature. I’m letting sales deal with the idiot.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I share your frustration, OP. I have a ton of customers who will send me a blank copy of a contract and state “approved” in the email. Well that’s great but you need to sign and initial the contract first… Then I’ll receive a terrible scanned copy of only the signature page, and no initials… then I’ll send it to them through DocuSign for convenience…. “I don’t know how to do all this computer signature stuff!”

Half the time they just go quiet after that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I share your frustration, OP. I have a ton of customers who will send me a blank copy of a contract and state “approved” in the email. Well that’s great but you need to sign and initial the contract first… Then I’ll receive a terrible scanned copy of only the signature page, and no initials… then I’ll send it to them through DocuSign for convenience…. “I don’t know how to do all this computer signature stuff!”

Half the time they just go quiet after that.
View Quote

Ugh. There’s that too. I have done up sample forms with fields highlighted, etc. I get them back quite often only partially completed. The back and forth sometimes is just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another new customer just threw a hissy fit over my objections to their CEO “signing” the power of attorney with typing his name in a fancy font. When I told him he had to sign it in ink or with a digital signature, dude lost it. Doesn’t seem to understand the concept that’s not a legal signature. I’m letting sales deal with the idiot.
View Quote

For my future benefit and understanding, what is the regulation, etc. that governs the signature process? Is it specific to POA’s or even Illinois?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For my future benefit and understanding, what is the regulation, etc. that governs the signature process? Is it specific to POA’s or even Illinois?
View Quote

CBP requires customs brokers to vet POAs. Someone’s name typed in a fancy font is not a legal signature. I don’t know who signed the POA and I have no way of proving it. Anyone could have signed it. They could later say they didn’t sign it with that fancy font typed name.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

CBP requires customs brokers to vet POAs. Someone’s name typed in a fancy font is not a legal signature. I don’t know who signed the POA and I have no way of proving it. Anyone could have signed it. They could later say they didn’t sign it with that fancy font typed name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you receive an ink-signed copy, anyone could have signed it.

If you receive one executed via DocuSign, anyone with access to that account could have signed it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you receive one executed via DocuSign, anyone with access to that account could have signed it.
View Quote

Those two options are still better than what I’m seeing now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For my future benefit and understanding, what is the regulation, etc. that governs the signature process? Is it specific to POA's or even Illinois?

CBP requires customs brokers to vet POAs. Someone's name typed in a fancy font is not a legal signature. I don't know who signed the POA and I have no way of proving it. Anyone could have signed it. They could later say they didn't sign it with that fancy font typed name.

By those standards then arguments could be made that the DNA is not mine, but either a doppelganger or unknown twin.

We are talking about legally enforceable industry standards, not absolutes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a well established legal principle of “In regard to signatures, it is the intent rather than the form of the act that is important”. This intent can be as abstract as clicking a box in lieu of any form of “traditional signature”, etc.

Proving validity of intent is fairly simple over the course of normal business transactions, emails, etc. If you wanted to be proactive, you could request confirmation of intent following the completion of the agreement.

As far as “anyone could have signed it”, the law recognizes three types of authority; actual, implied (or apparent), or ostensible. It would be an extremely rare case where someone, having gone through the process in representation of the company’s interests, falls outside those three categories.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

You can send that along with those font signatures to the Gov bureaucrats reviewing them!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

My signature could be described as “Architectural Chicken Scratch” if it were a font.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Your're right but I've seen medical releases inside of the MyChart app that will fill in the patient signature with that same font.  Maybe that's why people believe it's legal.  I seriously doubt that it is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your're right but I've seen medical releases inside of the MyChart app that will fill in the patient signature with that same font.  Maybe that's why people believe it's legal.  I seriously doubt that it is.
View Quote

The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, 15 USC 7001, from 2000 sates:

The term “electronic signature” means an electronic sound, symbol, or process, attached to or logically associated with a contract or other record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
OP you should really be using this as your example, say you're getting a signature like this but in a different font:  

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]
hell even the IRS says hit enter and understand this is your signature attesting to the accuracy of your filings punishable by death.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
By those standards then arguments could be made that the DNA is not mine, but either a doppelganger or unknown twin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For my future benefit and understanding, what is the regulation, etc. that governs the signature process? Is it specific to POA's or even Illinois?

CBP requires customs brokers to vet POAs. Someone's name typed in a fancy font is not a legal signature. I don't know who signed the POA and I have no way of proving it. Anyone could have signed it. They could later say they didn't sign it with that fancy font typed name.

Or, perhaps, the presence of your DNA is incidental and only proves that you came into contact with someone or something, and not proof that you stabbed or signed that thing?

If we're talking legally enforceable industry standards, pasting in an "X" or their name at the bottom of an email can be enforceable outside of legal requirements for digital signatures or notarized documents.

People keep focusing on one tree.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.

What's your company policy say on the matter? If it doesn't address it, and you aren't the decision maker regarding what level of legal risk the company is willing to accept, bump it up to the decision maker. If you are the decision maker, consult with an attorney, set a policy, and work with your closing team so that they can communicate expectations properly with the client.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
go run this by someone < 20yo

they dont even do signatures anymore
View Quote
I had to get a signature for a package recently, parents weren't home so I told their thirteen or so son that he could give me a signature.

"What's that? I don't know how."

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You are wrong OP, cursive signatures are perfectly legal. Stop being an annoying zoomer.
There is a fucking reason why most forms have a spot for Printed/Legible name and a signature in two different places.
View Quote

He said nothing about cursive signatures. Did you read?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hear you.

What's your company policy say on the matter? If it doesn't address it, and you aren't the decision maker regarding what level of legal risk the company is willing to accept, bump it up to the decision maker. If you are the decision maker, consult with an attorney, set a policy, and work with your closing team so that they can communicate expectations properly with the client.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.

This is a very new issue, from the last couple of weeks. Owners have been out of the office. I’m going to talk with them when they’re back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP you should really be using this as your example, say you're getting a signature like this but in a different font:  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77166/Screenshot_2024-06-27_at_12_08_19_PM-3251936.png
View Quote

This is a good example of what I’ve been getting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Nevermind!

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is a very new issue, from the last couple of weeks. Owners have been out of the office. I’m going to talk with them when they’re back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.

Good plan. They might find out after consulting an attorney that their current practices aren't going to protect them, and that they need to change. Or maybe it's fine. Or ownership might say "we don't give a shit, what you got's good enough." Their capital, their risk.

Define requirements (with legal input), set policy, find a product that satisfies the policy, communicate, train, and adopt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#35]
funny.

I just got in an argument with a customs broker, no shit, about this same thing.

it's dumb and you're not going to convince me it matters. I can sign more sensitive documents for a mortgage, etc. using online utilities.

Instead, I have go leave my job site, go to a printers shop, print out the document, sign document with witnesses then scan document in, log in to computer, forward document over where the asshole on the other end is going to forward it on to someone else.

if it's ever even printed to physical paper, I bet it's trashed right after the customs agent checks whatever dumb box they have to.

All to ship a $30.00 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" Bronze Angle Ball valve to canada.

My favorite part is when the customs broker tells me "you have to have the CEO sign this...shipping coordinator isn't a responsible party" then i don't change shit except scratch out "shipping coordinator" and write CFO beside it.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
funny.

I just got in an argument with a customs broker, no shit, about this same thing.

it's dumb and you're not going to convince me it matters. I can sign more sensitive documents for a mortgage, etc. using online utilities.

Instead, I have go leave my job site, go to a printers shop, print out the document, sign document with witnesses then scan document in, log in to computer, forward document over where the asshole on the other end is going to forward it on to someone else.

if it's ever even printed to physical paper, I bet it's trashed right after the customs agent checks whatever dumb box they have to.

All to ship a $30.00 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" Bronze Angle Ball valve to canada.

My favorite part is when the customs broker tells me "you have to have the CEO sign this...shipping coordinator isn't a responsible party" then i don't change shit except scratch out "shipping coordinator" and write CFO beside it.

View Quote

POA has to be signed by a corporate officer, at least for US POAs. But I believe it’s the same for Canada. I deal with a fair number of shipments into Canada for my customers, cleared by a Canadian broker.

I have to keep POAs on file. They’re not trashed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

POA has to be signed by a corporate officer, at least for US POAs. But I believe it’s the same for Canada. I deal with a fair number of shipments into Canada for my customers, cleared by a Canadian broker.

View Quote

I understand the need to have an officer sign the POA. You don't want some jackleg from the shop floor who can't read the document to sign it.

but they won't even accept a digital signature from like bluebeam or adobe...it's nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A lot of you need to read up on ESIGN and UETA.  It's a little industry dependent and OP may have a proper gripe, I don't know.  But with a LOT of industries, the OP describes a proper signature, so long as the signature can be appropriated to the person who signed it.  This can be done as simply as asking that person if it was them who signed it.

Adobe's Acrobat Standard signature function allows a user to sign exactly how the OP describes, and it's compliant with UETA.  There are serious concerns, however, with the security of these signatures. (There is none)  There are upgraded features to allow certificates, fwiw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.  A typewritten signature is enforceable per the ESIGN Act.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-96

15 U.S. Code § 7001 - General rule of validity
(a)In general
Notwithstanding any statute, regulation, or other rule of law (other than this subchapter and subchapter II), with respect to any transaction in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce—
(1)a signature, contract, or other record relating to such transaction may not be denied legal effect, validity, or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form; and

It doesn't even need to be preceded by /s/ or be between slashes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Why aren't you, the originator of the documents, taking control of the method of signature by providing them to the signatories via DocuSign or similar?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why aren't you, the originator of the documents, taking control of the method of signature by providing them to the signatories via DocuSign or similar?
View Quote

Because I’ve been asking for that to be done and it’s gone nowhere.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I understand the need to have an officer sign the POA. You don't want some jackleg from the shop floor who can't read the document to sign it.

but they won't even accept a digital signature from like bluebeam or adobe...it's nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Canadian broker won’t accept a digital signature?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yep, iPad and a stylus makes this super easy. Unfortunately, a lot of businesses don’t seem to have this.
View Quote

Disagree.  Stylus never looks the same

I'm a physician,  I'm shocked my signature looks even worse.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

TBH, I don't see why people make a big deal out of not teaching cursive.  It's an outdated handwriting.  I'm 39 and was taught cursive and my day to day handwriting is a weird mix between standard and cursive.  There is absolutely no need to teach it in schools anymore.  There is better stuff that kids can learn instead of that lol.  Maybe they can teach it in art class or something.
View Quote

I am actually glad I was taught cursive handwriting (3rd grade). I actually prefer cursive, as I can write faster and much neater (especially as a lefty). It increases my productivity.

IMO, while there may be “no need” to teach cursive handwriting anymore, kids should be given the opportunity to try it out and decide for themselves.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I just did exactly that with a life insurance policy. There wasnt a way to digitally sign the paperwork, so i just used the signature thing included in adobe. Typed in my name, made it look fancy, and plopped it into the sig block. Ins company accepted it no problem.

Thats a lot different than customs shit though. I'd want either PKI certs, something on a pen pad, or wet ink.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

In healthcare you can fax all sorts of stuff you are not allowed to email, and no one has a fax machine anymore.  Faxes are all sent via email now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In healthcare you can fax all sorts of stuff you are not allowed to email, and no one has a fax machine anymore.  Faxes are all sent via email now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The origins of "fax only" for healthcare is because, since fax's are analog, they (supposedly) cannot be read if intercepted/hacked between sender and receiver. So it had its' own "security."

Not sure how that applies nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The origins of "fax only" for healthcare is because, since fax's are analog, they (supposedly) cannot be read if intercepted/hacked between sender and receiver. So it had its' own "security."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the fax machines and your threat model. I don't think actual encryption is common. Also, I think that the reason healthcare started using faxes first is simply that faxes were more available before email for many institutions. and they hate spending money on IT.

===

For example, fax data is sent with no cryptographic protections; anyone who can tap a phone line can instantly intercept all data transmitted across it. "Fax is perceived as a secure method of data transmission," says Balmas. "That’s a huge misconception—it’s absolutely not secure."

https://www.wired.com/story/fax-machine-vulnerabilities/

===

One medical worker recalled a fax fiasco from the 1990s when he practically sent medical records to the moon. “The FBI called about a half-hour later and asked how I got the number,” he said. “I told them that I was faxing Minnesota. They told me I had faxed NASA.”

In short, economics gave hospitals plenty of reasons not to connect their records with other hospitals — to stick with a clunky technology, like fax, that makes it hard to transmit information. And the government didn’t give any incentives to connect — it stopped at digitizing medicine, falling short of the interoperability that patients actually want.

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/10/30/16228054/american-medical-system-fax-machines-why

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It depends on the fax machines and your threat model. I don't think actual encryption is common. Also, I think that the reason healthcare started using faxes first is simply that faxes were more available before email for many institutions. and they hate spending money on IT.

===

For example, fax data is sent with no cryptographic protections; anyone who can tap a phone line can instantly intercept all data transmitted across it. "Fax is perceived as a secure method of data transmission," says Balmas. "That's a huge misconception it's absolutely not secure."

===

One medical worker recalled a fax fiasco from the 1990s when he practically sent medical records to the moon. "The FBI called about a half-hour later and asked how I got the number," he said. "I told them that I was faxing Minnesota. They told me I had faxed NASA."

In short, economics gave hospitals plenty of reasons not to connect their records with other hospitals   to stick with a clunky technology, like fax, that makes it hard to transmit information. And the government didn't give any incentives to connect   it stopped at digitizing medicine, falling short of the interoperability that patients actually want.

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/10/30/16228054/american-medical-system-fax-machines-why

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

===

For example, fax data is sent with no cryptographic protections; anyone who can tap a phone line can instantly intercept all data transmitted across it. "Fax is perceived as a secure method of data transmission," says Balmas. "That's a huge misconception it's absolutely not secure."

===

One medical worker recalled a fax fiasco from the 1990s when he practically sent medical records to the moon. "The FBI called about a half-hour later and asked how I got the number," he said. "I told them that I was faxing Minnesota. They told me I had faxed NASA."

In short, economics gave hospitals plenty of reasons not to connect their records with other hospitals   to stick with a clunky technology, like fax, that makes it hard to transmit information. And the government didn't give any incentives to connect   it stopped at digitizing medicine, falling short of the interoperability that patients actually want.

As stated "the origins of"
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Paper docs sitting on an open fax tray.  SECURE! (I know they have password to print functions, I also know their use is less than universal.)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top