Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2023 3:18:13 PM EDT
A Gravity Karambit?! The Reate EXO-K Full Review

Review from Melissa Backwoods (hot bushcrafting chick)

Reate Knives is making yet another splash with the EXO-K Gravity Karambit Knife. That's right: it's both a karambit and a gravity knife. By holding down the button and flicking your wrist, the blade and frame will rock back and forward again, deploying the wickedly-curved blade into the open position where it locks. Push the button again and reverse the steps to close the knife. Thanks to its reversible pocket clip, you can carry it to your preference. And speaking of preferences, finger rings aren't for everyone. In the case of EXO-K, it's removable! Like any good trick, operating this attention-grabbing knife will take some practice—which can be done safely with the included blue trainer—but once you have it down, you'll be flipping this bad boy into action. It's great for day-to-day cutting, fidgeting, and self-defense situations. The Reate EXO-K takes pocket knife fun to a new level with an innovative, practical, and entertaining design. It's built to Reate's exacting quality standard with tough and affordable materials, like aluminum and Bohler N690 steel, to keep the cost down. The EXO-K is truly a knife like no other.
View Quote

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Reate-EXO-K-Gravity-Karambit-Button--183935

Looks like when you buy the live blade it comes with a dull trainer version to help you master the deployment/closing mechanism and train for defensive use.

Really neat and unique mechanism for a folding knife, it’s almost like a karambit balisong.

I believe I’ll be buying one of these soon
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I am fully aware that Reate knives are very high quality, and that’s a really cool design. I just can’t bring myself to buy somewhat expensive Chinese knives.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am fully aware that Reate knives are very high quality, and that’s a really cool design. I just can’t bring myself to buy somewhat expensive Chinese knives.
View Quote

That’s understandable. It does seem although they’re manufactured in China, both Reate and WE Knives have figured out how to make genuinely high-quality folding knives that last and are worth the more premium price.

But, I still get not wanting to send money to China
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I whip snap it?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
CRKT has had a folding karambit out for a while now.

New CRKT Provoke Folding Karambit Knife Available at KnifeCenter.com

I'm really not sure what the gravity opening mechanism offers over CRKT's design, other than being specifically banned in some states.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has always been my position on them as well. However I just looked up the price on it out of curiosity and it's only $167, so actually not too bad. I've always thought the original Reate EXO was a cool design, but just couldn't bring myself to spend almost $300 on a Chinese knife. It looks like this karambit variant is ~$100 less than the original.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
She accidentally stab herself again in this video?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the advantage over a standard auto? Looks like a couple trips to the emergency room for no additional utility.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the advantage over a standard auto? Looks like a couple trips to the emergency room for no additional utility.
View Quote

Karambit knives are quite functional for cutting people.

And redirecting them.

There’s lots of ways to use it, but it is completely different and foreign to most knife users.

You need to train with it with someone who knows how to use it.

My favorite is inserting it at the elbow and pulling it down toward the hand.

Hooking shoulders is also a good use, or the elbow and back of the knee..
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
What knife? I didn't see a knife.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I only found one place online that has it available. Anyone ever heard of American Edge?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah that looks like something I could hurt myself pretty well...
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

all the dudes who i've seen carry those types of knives, look and act exactly like you think they would
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
No. Please stop buying shit from China.

Also not practical and would be better served with a traditional folder. You want fast deployment: wear a horizontal fixed blade on your belt outside appendix

I own high end grav knives, microtech otf and etc. They're toys
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Being degloved is not a thing on my list.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Laughs in Spyderco.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]
About the same price you can get an Emerson. It’s got a little hook thingy that helps you open it as you take it out of your pocket. Works pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a cool engineering answer to a question nobody ever asked, but from a practical standpoint, the Emerson Wave deployment seems much more efficient.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn’t she cut an artery spinning a Skallywag karambit around, and need a TQ to get out of the woods without dying?

Karambits are not fidget toys.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I prepared myself to click the link and be angry at the price... And honestly with a mild sale I think that's decent. It just released so it's in full MSRP and OOS mode.

No I don't give a fuck that it's made in China.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure I noted but for those of the “that price isn’t actually bad” crowd, the price includes a duplicate trainer version
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CRKT has had a folding karambit out for a while now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caxoPwa1RE

I'm really not sure what the gravity opening mechanism offers over CRKT's design, other than being specifically banned in some states.

View Quote

I have a CRKT Provoke. It’s a nicely designed Karambit that’s fun to snap open
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
About the same price you can get an Emerson. It’s got a little hook thingy that helps you open it as you take it out of your pocket. Works pretty well.
View Quote

I have several Karambits with Emerson Waves, and they do work as advertised. Honestly though if anyone’s looking for a legit EDC-use folding Karambit I recommend ons made by Fox that utilizes the Emerson Wave or similar feature. I own an Emerson Karambit - let’s just say I’m disappointed with the build quality and stickiness of the titanium liner lock
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Gas station shit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m kind of a Karambit enthusiast…

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Karambits, the flat-billed caps of the knife world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top