Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 2:04:39 PM EDT
I like these chairs for the height & size, but I don't like that they break every 2 yrs or so. Without fail a visitor or my kid sits on it wrong and breaks the weld that holds the seat to the pneumatic piston.

I'd like to replace the 2 I have (one of which broke today) with same size/shape/rollers but better quality.

What do you recommend, arfcom?

Link to asshoe chair: https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

Pic of asshoe chair:

ETA - I, nor my guests, are anywhere near the 300lb weight limit.

Also, I did receive a recall notice for these breaking in the same way mine is broken, but, my serial # is outside the recall range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Craftsman that was part of a jack and stand set.  It's held up for quite a few years for me but I don't use it a lot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gone through 2 of those myself. Tag for replacement ideas
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
breaks the weld.

What do you recommend, arfcom?

View Quote

A welder...
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I can think of a few ways to beef them up and & re-weld, but I don't feel like spending the cost of the chair, per chair, plus my time on fixing them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the exact same one.  I'd just weld up a replacement mount.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Been using this for ~10yrs

https://www.bomgaars.com/big-red-deluxe-pneumatic-shop-seat-tr6375.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A welder...
View Quote

Got 3 of them. Temporary at best, already done it once on an older one. They're made of recycled tuna cans.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Northern tool has some like that, but better quality.  Their whole store is like harbor freight, but with more name brand and higher quality items.  I dont know about the website, but they had the shools in the brick and mortar store.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_automotive+shop-seats-stools
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the exact same one.  I'd just weld up a replacement mount.
View Quote

The sheetmetal flange that the seat screws to is too thin to be durable. As soon as you put weight off center, it flexes & eventually breaks at the weld. You'd have to replace the entire top flange, which will cost more than the stupid $20 chair... I'd rather just buy a good chair after going through 4 of these and fixing 2.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Uline stool

A bit more then the harbor freight but this what I've been using for 10ish years
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
HF .50 cal ammo cans are good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't mind the price, but I don't like that style of seat. Prefer the round flat top. I could get over the bars being in the way of my feet, but would be nice if it didn't have those either.

I use one mostly at my welding bench. Lots of getting up/sitting down/repositioning and learned the reinforcing bars can become a trip hazard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Uline stool

A bit more then the harbor freight but this what I've been using for 10ish years
View Quote

Interesting, thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Or just get a used office chair for almost nothing from Craigslist or market place, and remove back and arms.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Or just get a used office chair for almost nothing from Craigslist or market place, and remove back and arms.
View Quote

Too big
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a few pieces of Dewalt "furniture" for my shop. Stuff is bombproof. I bought the garage bench (use it more than I thought I would) and swivel top workbench stool. Going to get this one next:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't mind the price, but I don't like that style of seat. Prefer the round flat top. I could get over the bars being in the way of my feet, but would be nice if it didn't have those either.

I use one mostly at my welding bench. Lots of getting up/sitting down/repositioning and learned the reinforcing bars can become a trip hazard.
View Quote

Got to say, I’ve never had an issue with the bars and my feet. And I’ve got some big ass goonygoogoo size 13 feet.  But the seat is very comfortable and yes, you do have to position it before sitting down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Need something commercial grade like those bases at the hospital. The ones with IVs and stuff. Find one of those and put a chair on it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The sheetmetal flange that the seat screws to is too thin to be durable. As soon as you put weight off center, it flexes & eventually breaks at the weld. You'd have to replace the entire top flange, which will cost more than the stupid $20 chair... I'd rather just buy a good chair after going through 4 of these and fixing 2.
View Quote

Find an old small plow disc, and use it as a replacement for the flange.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top