Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 1:45:44 PM EDT
I've got a 1TB spinner in this machine right now and it is easily the weakest link in getting programs opened up.

I've considered picking up a SATA and cloning to it.

What's out there now?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanati] [#1]
Hard to go wrong with a Samsung Pro line. 1 and 2TB 980 Pros are on sale regularly.

Cloning from spinner to NVME isn't quite a directly straightforward experience, but if your machine is old enough to have a spinner you could probably use a fresh installation anyways.

If your machine is old enough to have a spinner, does it have an m.2 slot?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Samsung has done me right.  No ragrets with the dozen or so I've been running.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Samsung Pro NVMEs have been great to me and come highly recommended by people more knowledgeable on computers than me.

I have 2 Samsung Pro 980 2tb NVMEs in my PC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#4]
do you have an m.2 nvme slot?

what speed is the slot pcie gen 3 or 4?

I just dropped one of these in my new build, it friggin rocks.. gen 4, 7000MB+ read, 6000+ write.  Thing FLIES!

WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 7,300 MB/s

*for the posts above, you can never go wrong with samsung for the most part, especially if on sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Hard to go wrong with a Samsung Pro line. 1 and 2TB 980 Pros are on sale regularly.

Cloning from spinner to NVME isn't quite a directly straightforward experience, but if your machine is old enough to have a spinner you could probably use a fresh installation anyways.

View Quote

Yes, it does.  It's a Lenovo Ideapad L340-15API.  I bought it with 8GB RAM and upgraded to 20GB since 4GB is built into the board.

It has a single m.2 PCIe slot that can be used in conjunction with a 2.5" SSD.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
SK Hynix Gold P31

/Thread
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

the cloning software available from the manufacturers of the drive usually works fantastic, its always some flavor of macrium reflect or acronis it seems.

The only issue Ive run into is if you were trying to move/clone an older machine with legacy bios/funky UEFI to a new UEFI mobo.. then you get into MBR/GPT/Secure Boot issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Pro line is way overpriced for what it is.

OP stick with the Samsung EVO line.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a compatible M2 slot - get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Internal-Computer-MZ-V9E1T0B-AM/dp/B0CRCC9863

1TB or 2TB.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By M4ger:

Yes, it does.  It's a Lenovo Ideapad L340-15API.  I bought it with 8GB RAM and upgraded to 20GB since 4GB is built into the board.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok, so it will take up to a Gen 4 NVMe M.2 drive.. nice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
If you have a compatible M2 slot - get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Internal-Computer-MZ-V9E1T0B-AM/dp/B0CRCC9863

1TB or 2TB.
View Quote
This is what I would get. I was going to just recommend a cheap crucial, but pricewise the samsung about in line with it, and the entire point of the 990 is to be more efficient in laptops and netbooks. I don't know how much energy you'll actually save if you're only hooking it up to a gen 4 slot, but you may as well give it a shot anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drumbic] [#12]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

the cloning software available from the manufacturers of the drive usually works fantastic, its always some flavor of macrium reflect or acronis it seems.

The only issue Ive run into is if you were trying to move/clone an older machine with legacy bios/funky UEFI to a new UEFI mobo.. then you get into MBR/GPT/Secure Boot issues.
View All Quotes

Yep.  Done spinners to NVME on a couple laptops.    

If you are on a spinner OP, a 2.5SSD may fit the bill just fine as well and will be WAY faster vs that spinner.  I would look at what has best price to storage cost that fits your needs.  I've used 2.5 PNY SSDs without issues, as well as,    Samsung NMVE in the desk top also without issues. Even a Dell 11 venue pro I swapped to a Dogfish NVME and has been fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Thinking this through, I probably need to just do a SATA drive first.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Well, you can. I wouldn't necessarily go that route at this point though. I've got a SATA SSD in my desktop now and honestly I wish I didn't, because I already have three M.2s in it also. I'd actually prefer a large capacity spinner to the SATA for bulk storage, but I carried it over from my last build. You don't really save that much, if any, money over an M.2 anymore, and you're still going to be speed limited (although it'll be much faster than a spinner).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

SATA HDD=50-150MB/s
SATA SSD=500MB/s
PCIE NVMe gen4=6000MB/s+

Id keep the spinner in there, clone it to the nvme drive, make that my boot drive, then use the spinning one for storage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

SATA HDD=50-150MB/s
SATA SSD=500MB/s
PCIE NVMe gen4=6000MB/s+

Id keep the spinner in there, clone it to the nvme drive, make that my boot drive, then use the spinning one for storage.
View All Quotes

SATA HDD=50-150MB/s
SATA SSD=500MB/s
PCIE NVMe gen4=6000MB/s+

oh my.

I may have to live vicariously through the machine I'm designing for my office.

128GB RAM
4.7GHz processor
24GB video card
8TB NVME storage

We run some graphics intensive software, and for the application, this is the machine I'd like to be able to use for the next 6-8 years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually just buy the cheapest branded stuff.  I've picked up some Intel branded drives on closeout last year when they sold that division to solidigm I believe.  Also have some adata and even inland stuff in 1-4tb sizes.  For general use they have all been fine for the last few years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]

oh my.

128GB RAM
4.7GHz processor
24GB video card
8TB NVME storage

We run some graphics intensive software, and for the application, this is the machine I'd like to be able to use for the next 6-8 years.
View Quote

That will be a ripper.

I just finished building my new "wholly mediocre, middle of the road, 1440p, gaming desktop" at home.  It replaced my 2012-2015 previous build...which was still running great for daily tasks and some older games, but anything good in the last 4 years wont really run on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]

oh my.

128GB RAM
4.7GHz processor
24GB video card
8TB NVME storage

View Quote

That's pretty much what I'm using and there's nothing really pushing it hard (gaming-wise), currently. My GPU is an AMD, though, so it has problems with specific tasks that work on NVidea cards, though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Why?  Why not just move to the more modern M.2?

If I had a choice in a laptop, I'd pick M.2.  They are likely cheaper, and certainly a faster interface.  That said, you like will not be able to tell the difference either way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

This. I was trying to remember the model, but I used a Sammy 1TB NVME in a couple Dell laptops and they were fine. Faster than the smaller OEM SSD.
Top Top