Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2022 1:18:26 PM EDT
Just noticed cracks in the rubber in my Sorel snow boots.  The cracks are on both sides and just above and alongside the big toe.  They're over ten years old and I'm a bit shocked as I only wear them when I walk in the snow.  Indoors I switch to lighter shoes.  What do you guys wear for snow boots that keep your feet warm?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Muck Arctic Pro.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you climb up Mount Everest, you can get free snow boots.  Might have to strip a few different corpsicles until you find your size, though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The term snow boots sound like they are for kids or women to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had it with Sorel's cracking after 2-3 years. My old ones would last way longer.

I do have to add that I'm on year two of Columbia Bugaboot III's and as skeptical as I was when I bought them, they have held up amazingly well. And I use them for work on farms in the winter too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you climb up Mount Everest, you can get free snow boots.  Might have to strip a few different corpsicles until you find your size, though.
View Quote

Commute is a killer and besides, I had trouble at Pike's Peak.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear bogs in all but the coldest weather.  They work well for me but if it gets colder than -20 I'll switch up to bunny boots.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Expensive but wearing a pair that I’ve had for 25 years.
https://www.mukluks.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Love my Salomon Toundras.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Expensive but wearing a pair that I’ve had for 25 years.
https://www.mukluks.com
View Quote

Didn't they supply shoes to the Army in WW2?  I've seen that name in my readings.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had it with Sorel's cracking after 2-3 years. My old ones would last way longer.

I do have to add that I'm on year two of Columbia Bugaboot III's and as skeptical as I was when I bought them, they have held up amazingly well. And I use them for work on farms in the winter too.
View Quote

I am on my second Winter with my Bugaboot III"s also, they have performed very well. Especially in below below zero weather.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Klim goa gtx. Big enough I can strap them on my snowboard because snowboard boots are terrible to walk around it. Mainly for snowmobiling.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Muck Arctic Pro.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Baffin
Kamik
Muck
Dryshod

Make some nice winter boots.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be trying some Baffin Impacts for ice fishing this weekend, -148 F should do it

https://www.baffin.com/?msclkid=a6bfa3a5506d1bcc21bac2594a806573

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]

I wear these, great grip on ice, easy on and off and with different insoles, very supportive.
Lacrosse Air grip
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I called Sorel today and after 2 hours, managed to speak with Warranty and they asked for images of the boots.  I sent images of the soles, label and the cracks of both boots.  I was told they had a batch from Indonesia that had problems and I must be one of the "lucky" people to have bought lemon boots.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been working outside a lot this winter and having trouble keeping my feet warm. My wife got me a pair of Hoffman 14" Mountaineer pac boots last week and they have been great. Made in Idaho.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Those Hoffman with the higher calf looks great.  Sorels allow snow to get in when I walk (no gaiters) in deep snow (anything over the height of the boot) and soon I get moist socks when the snow melts.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Muck Arctic Pro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Muck Arctic Pro.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#24]
After a two hour wait, finally got hold of Sorel warranty.   I was honest and told them they were ten years old and they told me it was out of warranty.  I then asked if they were aware than when they outsourced production to Indonesia that faulty rubber was used and thus both the left and right boot cracked.  They asked for pictures of the soles, the cracks and the label inside the boot.  So, I went through the trouble of photographing as they asked and sent the images in.  

Their email response on Friday was:

Thank you for reaching out to the SOREL Warranty Department.

All of our footwear comes with a One-Year Limited Warranty. Unfortunately, your boots were manufactured outside of the one-year warranty period. The evaluation team made the determination based upon the manufacturing date located within the item.

The evaluation team suggests contacting your local shoe repair.

Thank you again for choosing SOREL. We look forward to working with you on all of your future warranty needs.
Best Regards,
View Quote

That was a rather convoluted way of thanks for calling us, ESAD.

My lesson:  Friends don't let friends buy Sorels.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Galoshes!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote

Another +1

I have low insulated and arctic pro mucks and they are great boots.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm currently using my military issued desert tan, steel toe, insulated boots.  I'd like to ditch them so I can free myself of the steel toe when doing winter outdoors stuff.  For working they're great, and very warm.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
After about 15 years the rubber on my Schnees cracked.  Packed them up and sent them to their main facility in Bozeman about a month later they were back with all new rubber. Good as new.  I don't recall what they charged me, about $100.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The company that made Sorel boots went bankrupt in 2000.

Guess who bought the brand name?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After about 15 years the rubber on my Schnees cracked.  Packed them up and sent them to their main facility in Bozeman about a month later they were back with all new rubber. Good as new.  I don't recall what they charged me, about $100.
View Quote

Sorels told me they won't work on out-of-warranty products.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought a pair of Whites Pack boots off a crackhead for 20 bucks the other day. Now I flex on the poors
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sorels told me they won't work on out-of-warranty products.
View Quote

They are throw away boots.  Schnees, Whites, some others are not.  But you pay for them.  I think the Schnees are are over $300 now.

Schnees
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I had the same problem  with my last pair of Sorel's - I won't make that mistake again.  I now have a pair of LL Bean Snow boots and they've been great so far, but I've only had them a few years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had the same problem  with my last pair of Sorel's - I won't make that mistake again.  I now have a pair of LL Bean Snow boots and they've been great so far, but I've only had them a few years.
View Quote

@villemur - what year purchased and were they made in Indonesia like mine?

I won't be buying Sorels ever again either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@villemur - what year purchased and were they made in Indonesia like mine?

I won't be buying Sorels ever again either.
View Quote

Similar story to yours.  I actually had a pair of Sorel's that I'd gotten when I was 18 that I wore the tread off of after many years.  They were still in great shape overall.  But I needed better traction, so about ten years ago I got the new Sorel's (I believe they were made in Indonesia).  Within five years they were badly cracked.  I tried calling Sorel, but they told me to get lost.  Sorel's are now a garbage boot, trading on the old Sorel name.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've been working outside a lot this winter and having trouble keeping my feet warm. My wife got me a pair of Hoffman 14" Mountaineer pac boots last week and they have been great. Made in Idaho.

https://hoffmanboots.com/images/thumbs/0000381_double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer.jpeg
View Quote

My exact boots. 5 years and going strong.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After a two hour wait, finally got hold of Sorel warranty.   I was honest and told them they were ten years old and they told me it was out of warranty.  I then asked if they were aware than when they outsourced production to Indonesia that faulty rubber was used and thus both the left and right boot cracked.  They asked for pictures of the soles, the cracks and the label inside the boot.  So, I went through the trouble of photographing as they asked and sent the images in.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for reaching out to the SOREL Warranty Department.

All of our footwear comes with a One-Year Limited Warranty. Unfortunately, your boots were manufactured outside of the one-year warranty period. The evaluation team made the determination based upon the manufacturing date located within the item.

The evaluation team suggests contacting your local shoe repair.

Thank you again for choosing SOREL. We look forward to working with you on all of your future warranty needs.
Best Regards,

Psst, tire patches work on Sorels.
My 25+ year old beaters..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
baffin
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Muck Arctic Pro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Midcap, Dem da best for Dancin down in da basin!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#45]
LL Bean snow boots for doing heavier outdoor walking or snowshoeing, Kamik pull-on boots for shoveling the sidewalk or pushing the ski stroller around the neighborhood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top