Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2024 9:06:20 PM EDT
My currently digital SLR camera is very old, like 15 years old.

I would like to upgrade. I am not a pro. I am out of the game so recommendations are needed.

What Canon R series should I get? My old camera uses EF and EF-S lenses (which I have a few of).
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 440roadrunner] [#1]
I wish  I knew, LOL.   Two years ago  the 5D MKIV was on sale and I decided to buy a new one.  At my age that was a mistake.  I have  a number of  Canon bodies,  as well as 5D,  5D MkII  and the Mk IV  is so much different, both  in physical controls and  software,  that the learning curve is  very high, at least for me, now.  I just turned 76

About all I can suggest is Google up the various models  and compare features.

If you have a pretty good  DSLR  you can  Google up the  "vs"   and compare,  that way you can compare what you know, like this  EG:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R5-vs-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV

On a side note,  I also have an M50  which  I guess stands for  "Miniature"  and can be used with adapter  with  EF lenses.  I found out  accidently that it is  for all intents,  a  miniature  "R"  with a different mount.

Mine  so far as I can  remember  LOLOL

XT/ 350D,  40D  a pair, 7D  several, 5D,  5DMkII,  5DMkIV, SL-1,  T6,  T something I can't remember LOL,   at least 2  Elan series film,  I've forgotten??  film  EOS 5 and 7 and maybe a 3.

EFS several,  and  EFS17-55  2.8,  EF 50  1.4,  EF 70-200 2.8, IS L,  EF 100-400 IS L, EF 300 F2.8L, and  about  1 even ton of  old manual focus, some of which have been modified to fit  Canon.   Also  a  Sigma  EF  12-24mm

This is reduced in size, click the lick to see the big one.  Taken at the local beach  with  a VERY  beat up  300 f2.8  Body was  7D  which  I bought used,  my first one

https://live.staticflickr.com/6133/6043395212_a7591ee54f_k.jpg

One of  my lens projects.   Center one  is  Tamron Adaptall II 500mm,  other two are different versions  of  Sigma 600mm,  both  had Minolta mounts.  I  converted one to  Canon EF, the other to  M42, which then fits Canon  with an additional adapter

Taken a long time ago with my Xt, an adapter,  and  some file work.  This was a Sears/ Mamiya 50mm 1.8 in m42.  But the lens had a proprietary skirt that  fit down over the Mamiya mount, and I had to laborously   and carefully file that away to fit an M42 to EF  adapter.  Click the link for full size

https://live.staticflickr.com/2415/2269089278_5ad34964f9_h.jpg

A very very lucky shot.  Taken  long ago with my Xt, and a modified  "junk"  Canon FD mount  200mm F2.8.  it was pretty hacked up, and the aperture setting  "is a guess."

https://live.staticflickr.com/2282/2270212441_ea210f2f9e_k.jpg

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:19:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#2]
What’s your budget? You looking for full frame or APS-C?

You can use most of your older EF lenses on the new R series cameras with the EF to R adapter.

I have the R6 mkII and the R7. Both capable and solid cameras with a breadth of features for both photography and video. I like my R6 mkII better because of the better low light capability.

The Canon EOS RP is the cheapest full frame mirrorless camera on the market. It takes reasonably good photos, albeit with a slower autofocus and and older processor. The video is okay as long as you are only doing 1080 HD. Don’t even think about using the 4K video on it.

Lots of people are buying the EOS R8, which is like the little brother of the R6 mkII, but with no weather sealing and not IBIS. But it’s also a lot cheaper too, but has a lot of the more advanced photo and video features of the R6 mkII.

Check out the Canon refurb page to save a few hundred off the new prices of the Canon cameras and lenses.

Some pictures I’ve taken with my R6 mkII:

866A4710-1 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr

866A3891-1 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr

866A4431-1 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr

866A5454 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr

866A6945 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr

866A6953-Enhanced-NR-3 by Justice Bigler, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CB1] [#3]
R7 all the way.
fantastic camera.  get the EF/RF adaptor and enjoy

This is with the R7 and EF/RF adaptor with the EF 100-400mk2 L lens.  
Galveston 2023 by Chris B, on Flickr

R7 and the RF 24-105 F4L
StampedeofSpeed-80 by Chris B, on Flickr

if you have money to burn, get the R5.  The R5mk2 is on the way, look for deals!!!
R5 and the 24-105L
Galveston 2023 by Chris B, on Flickr

R5 and 24-105L  this lens never comes off the camera
Lucas Oil Races by Chris B, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a Nikon guy, but was and still am looking at Canon bodies, since I feel for cheaper money you get more.

As has been mentioned, Canon refurbs has excellent prices, but they seem like they are never in stock, at least the bodies I keep an eye on.

I keep an eye on the following Canon refurbs just for fun:

R10 ($499.......crazy price)
R8
R7

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vmax84:
I am a Nikon guy, but was and still am looking at Canon bodies, since I feel for cheaper money you get more.

As has been mentioned, Canon refurbs has excellent prices, but they seem like they are never in stock, at least the bodies I keep an eye on.

R8
R7

View Quote

Don't forget about the couple used gear companies:
KEH
Allen's Camera
MPB
B&H Photo.
You can get some great deals sometimes and most have a 6 month warranty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vmax84:

R8
R7

View Quote
the EF to RF adaptor brings new life to those EF lenses.  my EF 40mm pancake is even better than it was on my T6i and 90D
of all of your choices, I would do the R7, the auto focus is based on the R3 and R6.  It is really a great camera.

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The refurbished EOS R8 is in stock right now for $899.

The Refurbished R6 mkII is $1599 and the R5 is $2199.

They are practically giving them away at those prices.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/cameras/refurbished-cameras?p=2
Top Top