Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2020 10:59:02 PM EDT
I tried taking out the bolt catch roll pin on one of my AR's using a punch and ended up only getting it out enough to free up the catch.  Couldn't get the roll pin out.  How is this done and what tools are needed?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If it’s out enough to grab, using vise grip needle nose to grab and squeeze, and tap the pliers until it comes out
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Which way are you trying to hit out the pin?

Can you post pics?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used an allen wrench small enough (might have to grind it off a bit), and tapped the short end in to remove it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
None of my business but why would you want to remove the bolt catch?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

See the gun in my avatar?  That upper wouldn't match up to the lower without removing it.  Truth be told, the roll pin is still sticking out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just leave it partially in?   Good place to store it until you're ready to install your new bolt catch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Bolt Catch Pin Removal Tool

Basically a flat side punch for proper removal alignment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Pain in the ass forsure. Thank god Aero made a lower with an allen key removable roll pin.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You went the wrong direction. Punch it out towards the receiver extension.

If it is running into the raised part of the lower, just cut the pin in half with some snips and then punch it the rest of the way out.

Also, are your punches actual roll pin punches?

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've removed one to replace a mil-spec version with a Geissele Marine bolt catch.  As a poster above did, I ended up using a small allen wrench and tapped on the short "L" end.  It worked, but it wasn't nearly as easy as putting the pin in originally.  I have a couple other builds I'll likely do the same thing to.  I now have a couple smaller punches than I had at that time, so I may be able to use one of them instead of an allen wrench.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no advice but the only lowers I will buy from here out will have a Allen screw instead of a roll pin
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have this tool.  Works great
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, get a good tool.
There are many out there to install but few true and sized to remove the roll pin while clearing the mag well bump out.

I asked a similar question:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bolt-Catch-Removal-Punch-to-run-from-the-front-of-the-receiver-back-recommendation-welcomed-/7-759250/
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I use...bought it and used it 2X so far. Probably never again

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're building more than one lower, get the roll pin punch set.  You'll get several sizes of starter punches and finish punches.  The starter punches have a hollow end the pin fit in with about half sticking out.  These allow you to get the pin well started.  The finish punches have a flat end with a tit that fits into the end of the pin and allows you to drive it flush.  Saves a lot of time and cussing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brownells is almost always the answer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

87X!

OP needs to get Brownelled ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kissass
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
For over 75 years, Brownells has been providing quality Gunsmithing tools, gun parts and service to the firearms industry. For all but two of those years, there has been a consistent brand image, the oblong horizontal shape of our catalog and the graphical design of our Brownells logo. For all of those years, these two uniquely, identifiable products have stood for our promise of service, selection and satisfaction.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For over 75 years, Brownells has been providing quality Gunsmithing tools, gun parts and service to the firearms industry. For all but two of those years, there has been a consistent brand image, the oblong horizontal shape of our catalog and the graphical design of our Brownells logo. For all of those years, these two uniquely, identifiable products have stood for our promise of service, selection and satisfaction.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This should have been the first post.  How can someone not know about Brownell’s single greatest AR specialty tool?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Punch with long enough shaft, lightweight hammer & perhaps some masking tape...
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/321106/AFC3777C-A024-4570-91FA-E33FA51673E7_jpe-1722010.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/321106/AFC3777C-A024-4570-91FA-E33FA51673E7_jpe-1722010.JPG

I've never had any problem with just the regular roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Now that we have that squared away... How do you get the front takedown pin out?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]
The one time I needed to do this, I had put the spring and plunger together incorrectly while distracted by a screaming baby.  I didn't notice until after I had the pin tapped into place.  I used a small Allen key to punch it out toward the magwell end, and in the process of removing it, caught the skin of my hand in the end of the roll pin.  It cut the skin like a melon baller, leaving a strip in the middle of the pin.  Ow.  That took quite a while to heal.

Now I triple check that the spring and plunger are correctly installed under the bolt catch before I drive that pin any farther than the first lug!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now that we have that squared away... How do you get the front takedown pin out?
View Quote

I’m assuming sarcasm here, but I will answer anyway:  1/16” punch and my fingers.  Some people use a clevis pin to help hold the detent and spring in place when reinstalling.  ??
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m assuming sarcasm here, but I will answer anyway:  1/16” punch and my fingers.  Some people use a clevis pin to help hold the detent and spring in place when reinstalling.  ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive installed a bunch but never had to take one out. It is always a bitch getting them in. Im surprised i still have both eyeballs yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

See the gun in my avatar?  That upper wouldn't match up to the lower without removing it.  Truth be told, the roll pin is still sticking out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the release pad is hitting the upper you can cut it off and reinstall. Then you can still use the release to lock the bolt without having to put a mag in and it will at least fill the hole that is left.  Seen people having to do this on some of the belt fed uppers because the pad was in the way.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pain in the ass forsure. Thank god Aero made a lower with an allen key removable roll pin.
View Quote

Should be the industry standard
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, I always punch it out the opposite way from installing it and it has always come out easily.

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brownells has an L-shaped tool to help release the detent pressure:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/pivot-pin-depressor-sku080216010-26487-1987.aspx

and Wheeler has a brilliant little set to help with both removal and installation:

https://www.wheelertools.com/ar-tools/ar-pivot-pinroll-pin-install-tool/156243.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I would hate to see what sweat + a steel allen grubscrew + time will create in an aluminum receiver. Those tiny threads will be galvanically welded in place in short order. I would butter the grub with grease, before insertion.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#34]
My Brownells Bolt Catch Pin Punch came in - they are perfect to remove the roll pin! Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top