Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2023 10:50:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Last I heard you don't even need a C/C:

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Just be glad you didn’t end up in jail like the poor people that rented from Hertz.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know that story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just be glad you didn’t end up in jail like the poor people that rented from Hertz.

I don't know that story.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a42177659/hertz-to-pay-false-arrest-settlements/

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m at Executive level with National and it is pretty great.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Avis company slogan  We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only rent from National and Enterprise because of all the bad experiences I have had from other companies.  I agree that they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a car thru Budget for this trip.  
50 questions, 2 phone numbers (wtf?), multiple d/l checks, deposit charge... halfway thru a 2hr drive, "oil level low" alarm.  
Probably won't rent through them again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rented a car from Dollar through AAA.  AAA quoted me a rate and that's what I expected to pay.  At the counter I was asked if I wanted the additional insurance which I declined (I always do).  Asked to sign to confirm that, which I did.  Went on my way.  Returned the car to their no contact drop.  Next morning received the final bill which included the insurance.

Dollar told me to pound sand.  AmEx reversed that portion of the charge.  Six weeks later Dollar sends me a bill for the reversed portion.

A quick search shows there have been multiple class action lawsuits for this very practice.  I can submit a BBB complaint and probably one with the consumer protection agency.

Any other suggestions?  It's only $100 so I won't go hungry if I have to pay it but it's the principle of it.
View Quote

Does a BBB complaint do anything? I used to hear that as a threat in various situations.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
What happens if you refuse to pay the bill? Mail it back with a letter stating what happened and that you don’t owe them crap.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Avis company slogan  We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied
View Quote
Avis can aspirate on a satchel of richards.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in Sicily, we rented from Sixt. They were very reasonable and I paid $120.00 for no questions asked 100% replacement insurance from a company in Australia.

American rental car companies are about as good our airline, healthcare and public school systems.

Its a horrible industry here in the states..
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
If you pay you will always regret it. They are thieves
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because you are part of the problem.

Seriously though, you are on the inside of the club - you are not part of the car rental "peasants".
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Rented a car with Priceline.  I was going to drive a lot of miles in one day, so was glad to see UNLIMITED MILES on the booking.

Show up at the counter.  Dollar rep says "we don't offer UNLIMITED MILES at this facility.

I say, well, that's what I booked, and if it weren't UNLIMITED MILES, I wouldn't have booked it.

She held her ground, and I told her to fuck off and rented from Budget for $100 more.  For the principal of the situation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite trick with those sleazy bastards is you RESERVE a certain car size.   When you get there, they tell you they are all out of what you reserved and they stuff one of their losers down your throat.   It's so bad and so prevalent that Seinfeld even did a bit about it in one episode.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Why would you ever rent from Dollar?  

Budget is my go to and has always been been good.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They actually bumped me up a class at no extra charge.  Car was clean and full of gas when I picked it up.  My only complaint really is the fraudulent activity behind the counter.
View Quote

They did that to me. My "upgrade" was a 4runner in tiny streets of San Fran with 17 mpg vs the compact I wanted. Try parking that in Chinatown.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They did that to me. My "upgrade" was a 4runner in tiny streets of San Fran with 17 mpg vs the compact I wanted. Try parking that in Chinatown.

View Quote
Yeah, that's my experience.   I reserve a COMPACT for a reason, and I get stuck driving a land yacht in a city.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I rent about 10x a year. Turo every time
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Am I reading it wrong?
You said you did a chargeback with Amex. Consider it done…
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My favorite trick with those sleazy bastards is you RESERVE a certain car size.   When you get there, they tell you they are all out of what you reserved and they stuff one of their losers down your throat.   It's so bad and so prevalent that Seinfeld even did a bit about it in one episode.
View Quote

I’ve had that happen, but I’ve always wound up in a bigger, better car.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I only rent from National and Enterprise because of all the bad experiences I have had from other companies.  I agree that they are fantastic.
View Quote

I've rented from them all and I've had consistent good service from both these vendors..
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Happened to me with Sixt in Miami.  Reserved a Rav4 for the week.  Didn't have one. Now I was shocked.  The counter person asked me if a 4 Runner, Audi or Bmw would be acceptable.   Family was pissed.  I took the 4 Runner due to the amount of luggage we had.  Wife wanted the Audi daughter wanted the Beemer.

That is the frist time I heard of Sixt.  
I rented another time in Orlando.  Like an idiot I did the pre-pay the tolls so I didn't get charges in the mail by the Florida Gestapo.  I think it was $50 and all the toll charges were covered.   I added it up afterwards and the tolls equaled around $15
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#31]
My worst experience was last year in Huntsville, AL with Enterprise.

A large conference was going on at Redstone and it had been extended.   All the cars due back were being kept by people there for the conference.

Myself and 2 other employees landed at 11pm and there was a huge angry line at Enterprise.

They had no cars and we had to Uber to our hotel.  If I had an hour or more drive to my final work destination it would have been much worse.

We got a Kia two days later on which the headlights didn't work.  We drove with warning lights on when we discovered this.

When we turned the car in we told Enterrpise the Headlights didn't work.  Another employee we knew got the same car and they did nothing about the headlights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#32]
The rental companies play no games when you book a rental with costco travel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
uhaul jacks you for mileage
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I don’t rent cars often, but when I do I always get hit for an additional $20 or so unexplained charge.  

I gas them up, park them where I’m supposed to, drop keys in the box, etc.  Don’t know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They actually bumped me up a class at no extra charge.  Car was clean and full of gas when I picked it up.  My only complaint really is the fraudulent activity behind the counter.
View Quote
I have had the best overall luck and customer satisfaction with Budget.  I rent cars often.  With the fast break, I get to avoid the line and just go out to the parking garage, they have me sign, and hand me keys.  It is policy to upgrade Fastbreak customers and sometimes double upgrade is provided.

You can add a Budget Fastbreak number when you book through Costco Travel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
National and enterprise are painless to deal with. Always rent direct without third party bookings though in case you need to make changes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always rent the second cheapest car they offer. Always get a free upgrade to a SUV because everyone wants the tier two cars.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The rental companies play no games when you book a rental with costco travel.
View Quote

Go on…
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Do you have a copy of your invoice or receipt (paper or electronic)? Shouldn't that explicitly say whether insurance was declined or accepted? Assuming you do, save that and submit it to the credit agency when they try to send to collections.

And yes, rental companies suck. How far was the trip to/from the airport? More and more, I'm happy to pay $50 to Uber each way and not deal with car rental or hotel parking fees.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Does a BBB complaint do anything? I used to hear that as a threat in various situations.
View Quote

No, someone may have to write something as a response ... But they're absolutely pointless.

The BBB tells the company they have a complaint, but they can ignore it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I reserved a full size car in Mexico and the crappy rental company tried to stuff me into a subcompact.  My suitcases wouldn’t even fit in the truck.  They finally admitted that it was the only size car they had.  I made them drop me off at Hertz.  I told them the story and they gave me a nice car.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#43]
A complaint with the bbb has been my saving grace against several shitbag companies trying to fuck me
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

just my opinion, but before the internet, it actually meant something and businesses seemed to care. Post internet, I don’t think it’s anything more than a bad yelp review or Google review. Likely a review no one will see ever, who searches or even looks at the BBB anymore.

I know most here don’t like the Facebook Twitter universe, but more and more engaging these companies in public for bullshit like this seems to get the quickest reactions. I see multiple stuff online where pissed off consumers @ a company on Twitter publicly and it gets addressed quickly. You want it fixed and their people want to appear reasonable and responsive when pressed publicly online.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dollar sent me a bill.  I suspect they will send me to collections if I don't pay it.
View Quote

Do you have a copy of the contract?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I rent about 10x a year. Turo every time
View Quote

I’m trying Turo in August. It has to be better than renting from a chain.

OP, maybe I missed it, but will AAA help at all? Or, have you tried to have a conversation with AMEX?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Have you called AmEx after the second bill? I bet the merchant agreement has provisions prohibiting this. AmEx might just shove a tree trunk up Dollar’s ass and break it off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Most of my rentals are one way and 2-3 hours with an after hours drop off.

A few years ago I rented a car and dropped it off a few hours later. I got a USPS letter days later (I forget which company) stating if I didn’t return the car they’d report it stolen. I called the local station and they said “yeah we show you dropped it off”. Fucking idiots can’t even do a minimal investigation.  

Recently I just got overcharged by $117 because they said I didn’t fill up the gas tank, even though I filled it up two miles away before returning it.  Fortunately a call to Budget solved things and they gave me the money back for the overcharge.

After the first issue, I take pics of everything to prove I returned it but now I also need to take pics of the fuel gauge and make sure I keep the gas receipt.  

Car rental companies must hire some really stupid people.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top