Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2024 9:24:39 AM EDT
39 month old group 27 marine crank/deep cycle. East Penn Mfg AGM. Battery will sit for a few weeks between uses and hold 12.6 V. That is enough to start 60HP Zuke. I charged it last night to 13.6 V and overnight it dropped to 12.65 V. I think this is marginal for a boat and needs replacing. This battery is up under the bow casting platform of my 18' Jon boat and takes quite a pounding in rough conditions. Your thoughts? Wow! Batteries have doubled in cost since I bought this one in 6/21.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: majg1234] [#1]
12.6v is often considered a "good" battery below that may need replaced.On the otherhand 12.8 on a static battery is considered overcharged.

If it starts the motor my thought is it is "OK".

Load test is what you seek and autoparts stores or a battery store can do that for you.

Yep they are high,try buying 2 for F250 diesel truck
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
the questions are do you have tow boat insurance? can you walk back? are you using an AGM battery charger?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:03:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By majg1234:
12.6v is often considered a "good" battery below that may need replaced.On the otherhand 12.8 on a static battery is considered overcharged.
View Quote

That's for FLA.  Sealed AGM batteries have a slightly higher resting voltage of 12.7 to 12.8 volts when fully charged, and higher charging amperages using proper AGM chargers.  

Personally, if this boat has a single battery, I'd consider replacing it based on age.  If you have dual batteries with a switch, then I'd continue to run it until it exhibited lower overnight voltages or sluggish cranking behavior.  I always converted my boats to dual battery setups, because the idea of getting stuck out in the middle of a lake or far from home on a river, are not appealing to me.  Is this used for trolling motor or electronics as well?  Or cranking only?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

That's for FLA.  Sealed AGM batteries have a slightly higher resting voltage of 12.7 to 12.8 volts when fully charged, and higher charging voltages using proper AGM chargers.  

Personally, if this boat has a single battery, I'd consider replacing it based on age.  If you have dual batteries with a switch, then I'd continue to run it until it exhibited lower overnight voltages or sluggish cranking behavior.  I always converted my boats to dual battery setups, because the idea of getting stuck out in the middle of a lake or far from home on a river, are not appealing to me.  Is this used for trolling motor or electronics as well?  Or cranking only?
View Quote

"If you have dual batteries with a switch, then I'd continue to run it until it exhibited lower overnight voltages or sluggish cranking behavior".

This is what I'll do. And start shopping for a AGM charger. The ancient century 10 AMP charger I've been using for 30 years easy puts out 15.5 V. A little too hot for an AGM.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/14/2024 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Just replaced a 2016 battery in a boat.
Had the key on for about five minutes and it killed the battery. No real draw on it.

I keep the batteries till they pretty much die.

Do have a small lithium jump started that has a pretty big capacity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Run it until it doesn't start anymore but don't ever forget to take the jump pack from the truck to the boat.  My main starting battery for my 4.3gl is a 2016 I believe and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Battery is still holding 12.7 after sitting without use for 2 weeks. Guess It's OK.

Bought the ARFCOM recommended Noco genius 10 charger. I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top