Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The members of this site reinforce the notion that teachers are the scum of the earth on a daily basis
View Quote
And that is mostly true.  Instead of learning real skills, mastering them, then teaching, they get an "education" degree worth nothing and babysit everyone's children.

But Azygos is a practicing doc who knows his stuff and would teach medical school classes :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately I know good and well I am going to have to work until I am 65.

It would just be impossible for me to retire like my pops and mom at 55 and 52.

That's ok though.

At this point my debt is really low. a student loan and mortgage.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At age 55 if you withdraw earnings from your IRA you're going to get boned by penalties. So what's the point of retiring at 55?
View Quote
Not from a Roth IRA if it’s your contributions (what you put in).

A common FIRE strategy is to convert to Roth over time using a Roth conversion ladder
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm considering it after the student debt is gone in another 7-8 years.
View Quote
It'd be lower stress, and you'd be a good one

an accountant acquaintance of mine has a son who's a doc who grossed about $425k last year.  Taxes, SS, etc all in steal about $170k.  So the guy is left with $255k a year, which sounds nice except that student loans can easily top $250k, plus 32+years of time and life and school to earn that income. docs can be 40 or 50 before they're in the black

And the leftists believe it's not enough
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm 52 with a 13yo in private school.  I have to work until I'm 60 just to get him through college.

Then I will retire and never look back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no retirement age. You can retire whenever you want as long as you have enough money. Most people retire in their 60s not because they want to work but because they have to.

Yes, the minimum ages for Social security and Medicare have been raised. This is due to people living longer and having increased medical expenses. Rather than increase the % you pay into the system the gov just increased the minimum age.

I plan to retire by age 50. Could retire earlier but our youngest will be 18 and go to college when we turn 50, no point in retiring earlier, not like we can just leave them at home and travel the world haha. Wife and I both max our 401k and IRA each year and put any extra in an index fund. We also strive to live well below our means with a modest home, 2 economy cars, we rarely eat out, canceled cable years ago, and take one budget minded vacation per year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
In 29 weeks I am retiring.  I'll be 62, I saw my father work till he was 70 and died the next year.  F__k that, I plan on having some fun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A common FIRE strategy is to convert to Roth over time using a Roth conversion ladder
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At age 55 if you withdraw earnings from your IRA you're going to get boned by penalties. So what's the point of retiring at 55?

mother lovin 72t you bunch of hosers
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It'd be lower stress, and you'd be a good one

an accountant acquaintance of mine has a son who's a doc who grossed about $425k last year.  Taxes, SS, etc all in steal about $170k.  So the guy is left with $255k a year, which sounds nice except that student loans can easily top $250k, plus 32+years of time and life and school to earn that income. docs can be 40 or 50 before they're in the black

And the leftists believe it's not enough
View Quote
Thanks. That's kind of you to say.

Your second paragraph is accurate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might have it backwards, OP.  Most that retire early, seem to get bored.  Those that work later have better satisfaction.
View Quote
I've never understood the people who get bored without work.

Can they really not keep themselves entertained and busy without someone else telling them what to do?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Correlation does not imply causation.  Being that this was written by a financial planner with a large stake in making sure you give him money, I’d like to see the actual break down of the given career choices within those companies which allowed some to retire at 55 verses 65.  We all know that the aerospace industry has great pension plans, but I am sure that there is much more to the study than just age.

Are the 65 year olds working around composites?  Are the 55 year olds engineers or other office personnel? Lots of questions that aren’t answered within that article, but it’s pretty obvious to me that those that live a healthier life style, both physically and mentally (stress), will usually live a longer life.
View Quote
Along those lines also if you can afford to retire at 55 you probably had the financial means to live a healthier 55 years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I will retire when I'm 50 and live until I die.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I've already quit working.  I plan on actually retiring in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I started my job when I was 25.  I'll be done at 52.5.  With police and fire benefits we can draw our full retirement at 52.5. No reason to work any longer then that. With that said, I think if we stay healthy and take care or ourselves we can leave fruitful lives!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hence why I said earnings.

I'll ask again, if you have a Roth IRA at age 55, you CANNOT take out your earnings without being penalized. So how do people plan on retiring at age 55 with a Roth unless they don't care about getting penalized?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hence why I said earnings.

I'll ask again, if you have a Roth IRA at age 55, you CANNOT take out your earnings without being penalized. So how do people plan on retiring at age 55 with a Roth unless they don't care about getting penalized?
View Quote
There are several paths.
First I would utilize a Roth conversion ladder to season traditional contributions. This can be accomplished while still working, but the taxes will be higher. To avoid the high taxes you will generally want to save five years expenses in traditional investment accounts, savings and Roth contributions. You can start the seasoning from traditional to Roth years in advance.  While working, you may want to roll a portion each year. (I like to roll some every year while I have kids at home, the tax credit from all my kids pays the taxes due on my conversion.) Once it's sat for five years it's considered a contribution and may be withdrawn penalty free anytime.

Another path is to start taking 72T distributions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the scenario is you are more likely to die early from early retirement versus continuing to work. Work gives you a sense purpose and it keeps you active, even alot of people otherwise wouldn't be.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm retired at 47.  Been retired for 7 days now.
View Quote
Bravo!!!!

Congrats
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My sister's anesthesia group has many retirees die within 6 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife, with a straight face, said I was lucky because I may get to retire "early" at 65. She still doesn't understand why I looked like someone shot my dog.

My 401k had a long stretch of dismal performance. I'm 45 and not really jazzed about being forced to do this highly stressful career for another quarter century or so.  One former partner in our group died the day after retirement. One of our healthiest partners had a heart attack in his 50s.
Not uncommon

The POS last longer ias they don’t give a fuck
The people who put in effort get worn down

That said; retirement has never been in my plans.if I get to where I can’t do it, I’ll,quit and do something else
My sister's anesthesia group has many retirees die within 6 months.
Y’all should open a hydration and ketamine clinic

Rob the Rubes
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can they really not keep themselves entertained and busy without someone else telling them what to do?
View Quote
It's all they've ever known
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Where can I find the job that gives me a sense of purpose?   It just gives acid reflux and a bad case of shitty attitudes.

Quoted:
I think the scenario is you are more likely to die early from early retirement versus continuing to work. Work gives you a sense purpose and it keeps you active, even alot of people otherwise wouldn't be.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
In law enforcement it's 100% true that the longer you stay, the quicker you die when you finally do leave.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Statistically we are seeing incrases in  “retire at 65, live to 90”

The problem is that most people cannot save/invest enough from 18 to 55 or 21 to 65  to live off of for another 25 years at the same standard of living, even if their house is paid off.
View Quote
This statement is seriously incorrect.  Most people choose not to save enough for retirement.  Saving and investment is a lifestyle choice.  Living below one's means in order to achieve an early retirement is a lifestyle choice.  It isn't always easy.  Like being fit and living a healthy lifestyle.  If it was, everyone would do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No penalties for withdrawals at age 55-1/2 or later.

Edit correction:  59-1/2 years old.  If you plan correctly, a four year "bridge" from 55 to 59 isn't that hard to do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In law enforcement it's 100% true that the longer you stay, the quicker you die when you finally do leave.
View Quote
The longer you stay, the more you want to die.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
My gramps retired at 64 because so many of his friends kicked right after retiring at 65. Bought a motor home so him and my grandma could travel. On his 65th birthday he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Started treatment immediately, but was gone within 6 months.

I'm just planning to never retire. But owning my own business gives me the perks of mostly going where I want, when I want. Mostly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 60 and still working, probably for another 7-8 years.

I'm gonna die soon
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a false urban legend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

The "Boeing study" has been quoted by newspapers, magazines and pundits. It's circulated on the internet for years. The problem with it is that Boeing itself says it's simply not true.
View Quote
And Boeing would certainly know. It's a rare week (and sometimes day, they seem to cluster) that someone isn't being ambulanced off to hospital with chest pain, or worse. One of my former team leads dropped dead of a heart attack on vacation in Hawaii. Marine, expert skydiver and not far from retirement.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a 457b
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end the faster it goes
View Quote
Gonna save that one
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I'm considering it after the student debt is gone in another 7-8 years. A new DO school just opened up, and they seem receptive to having MDs lecture the students.
View Quote
Something is seriously amiss here. Are you geographically restricted for some reason? Family that can't or won't move?

I obviously don't know you or your situation, but anesthesia isn't pediatrics. People in our field with financial problems are usually caught by the unholy combination of
- choosing to be in a "desirable" coastal city, where pay is low and cost of living is high
- lifestyle expansion that starts about four minutes out of residency

For those of us with really extraordinary debt ($500K+ not just $200-300K) a couple or three years of working like a dog out in BFE gets the loans paid off and a nice FU account started. Even joining the military carries a $400K accession bonus for anesthesiologists.

If your wife says I ain't leaving Boston/NYC/LA ... that's rough and I feel your pain.

But, man, if that's not it, move and get a better job. Life's too short to spend it doing OB on 400 pound uninsured drug users and taking trauma call on self/no-pay bangers in the big city. :(
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All my Govt worker friends retired at 46. Nothing like getting 75% of salary for life.
Tell me again about the suffering of the Govt workers?  
View Quote
How are they getting 75% of their salary at 46?
Please explain that to me so I can jump on-board that civil service retirement gravy train.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#33]
My retirement plan?
I plan on working until I drop dead at my desk at work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm looking to retire at age 66 in Dec of this year.  Hope I make it.  I may consult but if I do, it will be at a minimum of $100/hour.  I just want to go to the gym, eat well, ride my bike, shoot and play golf.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#35]
correlation does not imply causation
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I retired from active duty, I had about 6 weeks off before I started my next job.  I was not tired of not working.  Minimum retirement age for the second job is 56.5.  Unless sonething in mylife changes, I am gone NLT 57.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
60 here and plan on being semi-retired this Spring.
You fuckers are going to be heavy one Canadian (working on my US citizenship right now and it's coming together)

I'll still be able to work, which is what I want to do and will have no problem finding a job. Even got some offers.

Really looking forward to it !!!

View Quote
@Dagger41

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This statement is seriously incorrect.  Most people choose not to save enough for retirement.  Saving and investment is a lifestyle choice.  Living below one's means in order to achieve an early retirement is a lifestyle choice.  It isn't always easy.  Like being fit and living a healthy lifestyle.  If it was, everyone would do it.
View Quote
Yes and no. There are only so many cuts you can make to your lifestyle. Lots of people are working jobs with little disposable income, or even multiple jobs in order to make ends meet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Divorce has cost me at least ten years of life expectancy.
I’m fucked either way
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm willing to bet some of the "I retired at 40-whatever" crowd will be out of money sooner than they thought.

Also, what kind of work are they saying is so bad for you?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I was put out to pasture at 55, medically. I'm 65 now. No idea how I've made it this far. But, hey, thanks for offering me another 15. I promise to use them poorly...
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Please explain that to me so I can jump on-board that civil service retirement gravy train.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All my Govt worker friends retired at 46. Nothing like getting 75% of salary for life.
Tell me again about the suffering of the Govt workers?  
Most civil servant jobs are 2% at 62 now.

A person would have to work 50 years to get 100% of their salary at 2%

Mine is 2.7% at 55 but even with 25 years in is only 67.5%. If I retired under age 55 it would be calculated at 2% and wouldn’t reach 2.7 until 55.

This guys friends even at 3%-which would be reduced in an early retirement-would be impossible to collect 75% of their salaries. Unless, they started working at 2 years old.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Mine is 2.7% at 55 but even with 25 years in is only 67.5%. If I retired under age 55 it would be calculated at 2% and wouldn’t reach 2.7 until 55.

This guys friends even at 3%-which would be reduced in an early retirement-would be impossible to collect 75% of their salaries. Unless, they started working at 2 years old.
View Quote
Or they got a disability pension that is 75%. 33% of our PD and 75% of the FD got 75% pensions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Aww heck no, after 11 years out, I've still not hit boredom.

Between kayak fishing, diving, shooting, 4 wheeling, gardening, traveling, skiing, hiking, and many other "activities", it's not difficult at all to be entertained.

It's more about the person's mind set and willingness to be motivated than it is about their employment.

Yeah, if your job is all you have then maybe your retirement will suck, but if you spent a career earning money to live a life, you'll likely be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might have it backwards, OP.  Most that retire early, seem to get bored.  Those that work later have better satisfaction.
Aww heck no, after 11 years out, I've still not hit boredom.

Between kayak fishing, diving, shooting, 4 wheeling, gardening, traveling, skiing, hiking, and many other "activities", it's not difficult at all to be entertained.

It's more about the person's mind set and willingness to be motivated than it is about their employment.

Yeah, if your job is all you have then maybe your retirement will suck, but if you spent a career earning money to live a life, you'll likely be fine.
@Gunslinger808

When I have days off, I am constantly working on my projects.  I can’t possibly see how I would be bored.  I would like to start a Channel catfish breeding program.  If I had more time, it would probably have happened by now.  I have an endless list of projects I would like to do.  If I won the lottery, I would be non-stop busy.

Not that work can’t be interesting and satisfying, but it’s like maybe 1%.  I don’t find any of it challenging.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m retiring at 51.

Going to cash out all my vacation time, sick, comp, and family time and never work again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Baby Boomers already did that. Far more of them retired and left Gen X'ers and Millennials to pay for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Retire at 55 and live to 80; work till you're 65 and die at 67. Startling new data shows how work pounds older bodies.....
..."Ten working years could cost you twenty years of your Retirement!"...
makes you wonder... is this the prime reason they upped the retirement age from 55?

Pay more into the ponzi scheme and take less out.  
Baby Boomers already did that. Far more of them retired and left Gen X'ers and Millennials to pay for it.
Don’t worry, the Left has great plans for the Boomers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Or they got a disability pension that is 75%. 33% of our PD and 75% of the FD got 75% pensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They’re making it incredibly difficult to do that anymore. I’ve seen it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I can retire at 55...
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Had planned to retire at 50 but 8 years of Obama fucking the economy pushed that out to 56.

In 2023, I will retire and I will live the life I want NOT the one I have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't worry, the Left has great plans for the Boomers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Retire at 55 and live to 80; work till you're 65 and die at 67. Startling new data shows how work pounds older bodies.....
..."Ten working years could cost you twenty years of your Retirement!"...
makes you wonder... is this the prime reason they upped the retirement age from 55?

Pay more into the ponzi scheme and take less out.  
Don't worry, the Left has great plans for the Boomers.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top