Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stoner01:
We must combat the new ways with the old... 30-06
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#10]
Cross-posted from GD:

Tow truck driver shoots, kills suspect trying to rob him.  Fox News link, video autoplays.

Detroit Police say an armed robber targeted a tow truck driver, not knowing that tow truck driver had a CPL and was ready to fight back.

It happened in the 15400 block of Young Street, in the area of Outer Drive and Kelly, around 9:30a.m. on Monday. Detroit police say they responded to an armed robbery. They found one person shot. Investigators say that person was taken to the hospital, where he later died. He allegedly was robbing the tow truck driver, who shot him.

“I heard multiple gunshots, around six to eight,” said one neighbor who did not want to share his name.

Detroit Police are not confirming the identity of the armed robber, but sources say he has ties to the area. The neighbor did not want any conflict with them as they grieve.

“You have to get these crooks off the street on way or another,” he said.

Some towing company owners tell WXYZ this crime reveals a problem. Some insurance companies will not cover the liability that comes with tow truck drivers carrying a gun. As a result, some towing companies have policies against carrying a weapon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Not sure how I feel about this one.

View Quote

Makes me wanna build a 350 legend or get a 45/70

But m82 is top of the list now
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
She asked to be dragged, and they had a pretty chill conversation on the way

RAW VIDEO: Tampa officer terminated after being seen dragging woman during booking
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:05:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALFOX] [#16]
Originally Posted By RSG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMQ9D3CWDM
View Quote

ETA: Cop got fired. Wow. OK, yes, it looks bad, but he didn't hurt her in the slightest. What he should have done is left her in the cop car and went looking for a wheelchair, and/or assistance - then cuffed her to the chair and rolled her in for booking.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Not sure how I feel about this one.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't buy it.  You can't make them too heavy or they won't work.  You can't make them too expensive or they won't be affordable.

Besides I would just CoC employees at the plant building them and/or CoC the plant.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
I don't buy it.  You can't make them too heavy or they won't work.  You can't make them too expensive or they won't be affordable.
View Quote

Yeah, some people don't understand the problems of applying armor to something that wasn't designed for it from the start.

Take a high mobility robot, then add weight in the form of armor.  Where do you stop adding armor?  The processor?  The battery?  The actuators/servos?  The sensors?

Not only does the cost quickly go up, but the mobility (one of the things the manufacturer pushes as a strong selling point) quickly goes down.  Eventually, you can get to the point that it's no more impressive (mobility-wise) than a dalek.

And that's not even getting into issues such as armoring it against small arms calibers vs armoring it against multiple hits from small arms calibers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMQ9D3CWDM
View Quote

Lots of fail there. Where was his help from other officers in the detention center? Were there any female jailers there to help?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fantomas:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/savage_png-2652817.JPG
View Quote

Not real bright, if she couldn't grasp the simple fact that her booking photo was only protected as long as she didn't have a conviction.

...but she's apparently antifa, so it was already established that critical thinking is definitely not one of her strengths.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djohn] [#23]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/savage_png-2652817.JPG
View Quote

Claudio AND Alissa this week.

The TOP TWO clout-chasing antifa propagandists.

Of course, they're both already out of jail.

ETA

Melissa:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Alissa:

Attachment Attached File

"Antifa" militant, Alissa Azar, violently attacks woman with bear mace.

"Antifa" militant, Alissa Azar, violently attacks woman with bear mace
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JPN:

Yeah, some people don't understand the problems of applying armor to something that wasn't designed for it from the start.

Take a high mobility robot, then add weight in the form of armor.  Where do you stop adding armor?  The processor?  The battery?  The actuators/servos?  The sensors?

Not only does the cost quickly go up, but the mobility (one of the things the manufacturer pushes as a strong selling point) quickly goes down.  Eventually, you can get to the point that it's no more impressive (mobility-wise) than a dalek.

And that's not even getting into issues such as armoring it against small arms calibers vs armoring it against multiple hits from small arms calibers.
View Quote

Late 90s Mercedes were available “armored” on basically stock chassis. Now I’m not saying it worked but supposedly it’s windows , plates in doors and floor. I had a customer swear hers was. It was I think A dead husbands or sons and she used it as a reason to keep it even when we begged her not to spend the money on it and that it wasn’t. She based it on the double pane windows.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#25]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:

Late 90s Mercedes were available “armored” on basically stock chassis. Now I’m not saying it worked but supposedly it’s windows , plates in doors and floor. I had a customer swear hers was. It was I think A dead husbands or sons and she used it as a reason to keep it even when we begged her not to spend the money on it and that it wasn’t. She based it on the double pane windows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, that's a topic that can apparently lead a person down quite a rabbit hole.  I found a 2014 article indicating that Mercedes had upped their armor that is available on a 'made to order' basis for the S600, to a rating that is claimed to be able to take multiple hits from 7.62NATO (floorpan is supposedly armored more heavily, to provide some protection from explosives).  I didn't see any details on how much weight it adds, but the 'made to order' category is likely to make that data difficult to filter out from the other equipment that is added to the car.

From Boston Dynamics' website, their robot dog is around 70 pounds (I think that is before adding any options).  An armored version (capable of taking multiple rifle hits) would probably result in an increase in weight that would be rather substantial compared to its relatively low base weight, and there's not a lot of it that you could argue that there is no need to armor (once a decision is made to armor it).
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Well, that's a topic that can apparently lead a person down quite a rabbit hole.  I found a 2014 article indicating that Mercedes had upped their armor that is available on a 'made to order' basis for the S600, to a rating that is claimed to be able to take multiple hits from 7.62NATO (floorpan is supposedly armored more heavily, to provide some protection from explosives).  I didn't see any details on how much weight it adds, but the 'made to order' category is likely to make that data difficult to filter out from the other equipment that is added to the car.

From Boston Dynamics' website, their robot dog is around 70 pounds (I think that is before adding any options).  An armored version (capable of taking multiple rifle hits) would probably result in an increase in weight that would be rather substantial compared to its relatively low base weight, and there's not a lot of it that you could argue that there is no need to armor (once a decision is made to armor it).
View All Quotes

Late 90s Mercedes were available "armored" on basically stock chassis. Now I'm not saying it worked but supposedly it's windows , plates in doors and floor. I had a customer swear hers was. It was I think A dead husbands or sons and she used it as a reason to keep it even when we begged her not to spend the money on it and that it wasn't. She based it on the double pane windows.

The most likely place to be armored is the battery.  It is the highest value piece on the dog and puncturing it is likely to cause a catastrophic kill that, in theory, could destroy the robot.  Servos, CPU, etc. would be mobility kills, but be recoverable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#27]
No way in hell that thing can protect against handgun rounds, let alone rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

We must combat the new ways with the old... 30-06
View Quote

30-06 for everything robotic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30737/derp_JPG-2652834.JPG
View Quote

My new carry pistol to be ready for the armored robots:

30-06 ftw
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Cross-posted from GD--South African shootout with truck hijackers.

The RTT truck was carjacked in the Cape and the NoJack Viper Team together with the police pursued the truck. Many shots fired and one suspect fatally wounded and others arrested.
View Quote

Shootout with Cape PE carjackers
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
No way in hell that thing can protect against handgun rounds, let alone rifle rounds.
View Quote

Group buy a couple and setup testing with Garand Thumb  ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#34]
The other thing with those dogs is while they have autonomy they also ostensibly have wireless comms.  Wireless comms means you can fuck with it that way, too, and without having to be anywhere near the AO.  You could do it from local resources (including things like wireless routers in the area).  It also gives you a good trigger for other defenses to go live that don't even require you to know how to read/intercept/replace/send/whatever commands, just recognize the signal is in the area.

Well, I couldn't do it per se, but I understand the vulnerability is there.

I'm also dreaming up small anti-robotics EFP devices.  Something that size you'd be able to foil-line the bottoms of wine bottles and with a few inches standoff punch right through any armor they are capable of hanging on that small chassis.

Dammit now I wanna fight the robot war.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
The other thing with those dogs is while they have autonomy they also ostensibly have wireless comms.  Wireless comms means you can fuck with it that way, too, and without having to be anywhere near the AO.  You could do it from local resources (including things like wireless routers in the area).  It also gives you a good trigger for other defenses to go live that don't even require you to know how to read/intercept/replace/send/whatever commands, just recognize the signal is in the area.

Well, I couldn't do it per se, but I understand the vulnerability is there.

I'm also dreaming up small anti-robotics EFP devices.  Something that size you'd be able to foil-line the bottoms of wine bottles and with a few inches standoff punch right through any armor they are capable of hanging on that small chassis.

Dammit now I wanna fight the robot war.
View Quote

It's all fun and games until the robots launch the nukes...
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

There really are people that should not be out in public without a caretaker.

Mayor 'bikelanes and sidewalks everywhere' did her best to make Nashville a more inviting place for those people to move to, until she resigned as part of the plea bargain that kept her out of jail.  Unfortunately, the damage was already done.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Mayor 'bikelanes and sidewalks everywhere' did her best to make Nashville a more inviting place for those people to move to, until she resigned as part of the plea bargain that kept her out of jail.  Unfortunately, the damage was already done.
View Quote

Don’t get me started on the bicycle bros in Chicago. I think their goal is to eliminate all cars and trucks.

Last week when is was sub zero, they were crying on twitter that their bike lanes were not cleared. Pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ChicagoFoodie:

Don’t get me started on the bicycle bros in Chicago. I think their goal is to eliminate all cars and trucks.

Last week when is was sub zero, they were crying on twitter that their bike lanes were not cleared. Pathetic.
View All Quotes

Watching the bicycles on ice is a hoot. Instant face plant.
There was a bike crossing I had to deal with on my commute for several years. When it was freezing, there was ice at the crossing. I must have seen over 20 face plants.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Mayor 'bikelanes and sidewalks everywhere' was Nashville's first female mayor and was originally from California.  She had previously been on the city council and seemed to think the ideal Nashville would be a city much more like California cities.  

Bike lanes (with a 3 foot wide buffer zone between them and normal traffic lanes) were added to some of the more heavily used streets in Nashville, contributing to the traffic congestion by taking away space that cars could have used.  Didn't matter how little bike traffic there was on those streets - 'if we build it (bike lanes), they (cyclists) will come'.

A requirement was added to the process of getting a building permit.  If there was no sidewalk along the road frontage of the property, the construction plan must include putting in a sidewalk (at the expense of the property owner, not the city).  Didn't matter if it was construction of a new commercial property, construction of a new house, or just adding a shed that happens to be larger than 10 by 10 to the backyard of an existing house.  Also didn't matter if there were no other sidewalks within a mile of the property in question.  If you want a building permit, not having an existing sidewalk is going to be an expense that you will have to include in your budget.

She resigned as part of a plea deal, after it became known that she was cheating on her husband with the cop that was assigned to be her bodyguard (which wasn't a criminal issue), and the city was getting billed for the romantic getaways they had along with paying the cop to go on those getaways with her (which was a criminal issue).
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

"they killing us"

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#41]

"they killing us"

View All Quotes

"they killing us"

Insanity.

Blocked Bike Lane Protest on Valencia St. – San Francisco, CA #justaminute

They don't seem to like the idea of pedestrians in bike lanes, either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:12:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#42]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Funny, a place that has south and west-side Chicago demographics has Chicago-type problems.  The mayor needs to blame Texas or Mississippi for the guns.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#44]
From Baghdad

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Just bumping. I’ve been here since the Saudi page 1. Keep it going.

Happy new year!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Happy New Year

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Happy New Year!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Happy new year sir
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kbi] [#49]
[
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FALFOX:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/89c295d77ede18f892f89343a16f1c5c/tenor.gif?itemid=7783533

ETA: Cop got fired. Wow. OK, yes, it looks bad, but he didn't hurt her in the slightest. What he should have done is left her in the cop car and went looking for a wheelchair, and/or assistance - then cuffed her to the chair and rolled her in for booking.
View Quote

What should have happened is that "she" got dragged by the hair.

Page / 5114
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top