BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

I’m having a very hard time holding my tongue. The Ranger, whether you agreed with Robbi’s choices or not, was a fucking champ at the job and if your ass was dying from hypothermia and you were stranded in the woods with a compound fracture, you’d sure as shit have wanted Robbi looking for you.

I’m sitting at Sloan Kettering right now waiting on my latest scans and hoping I remain cancer free. I know first hand how precarious life can be. A public servant died this weekend, a person who had conducted hundreds of rescues and saved God knows how many lives. I wish people would show a little fucking respect.

And a little girl lost a parent while some here snicker like immature little cunts. True colors being shown.

ETA - not directed at you @ropie
View Quote

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend

Also, I hope your scans are clear
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

+1...I'll add it takes a certain amount of insecurity to make some of the comments that have been made.
View Quote

I think it is a matter of integrity.  On one hand he did a noble thing and saved lives, on the other he advocated for things that destroy a person’s soul and leads to spiritual death.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

View Quote

a big plus one on the clear scans!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Recent article about the ranger.

Recent rescue
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]

I know you meant no slight so I’ll just offer a gentle correction. Park Rangers are tour guides essentially in state parks. Park Police are sworn LEO’s that graduate from an academy that mirrors the State Police Academy with additional Swiftwater rescue and high angle rope rescue training. Forest Rangers like Robbi are a hybrid of LEO and firefighter. They are accredited police officers not peace officers. They are trained in mountaineering, Swiftwater rescue, high angle rope rescue, helicopter extractions and advanced medical training. They deploy across the nation and to Canada to lead wildfire missions. And they’ve lost three Rangers in under two years. Two to suicide and now Robbi’s accident. They’ve been through hell and back.
View Quote

I'm very sorry about your friends.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

I think it is a matter of integrity.  On one hand he did a noble thing and saved lives, on the other he advocated for things that destroy a person’s soul and leads to spiritual death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Originally Posted By thebomber:

+1...I'll add it takes a certain amount of insecurity to make some of the comments that have been made.

Disagreeing with someone's life choices is one thing. Saying personally derogatory things about them on a public forum is another. I would also call that behavior un-christian.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like one of those routes  where no move is too hard, technically, but the consequences for a slip are catastrophic. You could try to climb a route like that with ice screws and snow anchors every twenty feet and a belay, but it would likely be more dangerous than just simul-climbing with an occasional running belay due to the increase in risk the longer you stay on that big, exposed slope.

Sad.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

I’m having a very hard time holding my tongue. The Ranger, whether you agreed with Robbi’s choices or not, was a fucking champ at the job and if your ass was dying from hypothermia and you were stranded in the woods with a compound fracture, you’d sure as shit have wanted Robbi looking for you.

I’m sitting at Sloan Kettering right now waiting on my latest scans and hoping I remain cancer free. I know first hand how precarious life can be. A public servant died this weekend, a person who had conducted hundreds of rescues and saved God knows how many lives. I wish people would show a little fucking respect.

And a little girl lost a parent while some here snicker like immature little cunts. True colors being shown.

Not my friend, I knew Robbi as one of the officers I represent. I knew Robbi’s professional record and despite what people would think of Robbi’s choices, the dedication could not be questioned, nor could the souls still with us. I’ll give props where do.

And my wife just called and the scans were uploaded to the portal and are clean. You guys are stuck with me for awhile longer.

I guess one of the reasons I got pissed is a semblance of survivor’s guilt. I’ve never risked my life to save another’s. Here I am and people who have done more than me don’t get the break I apparently did. Can’t stop thinking about Robbi’s daughter. Life has to be hard enough when adult’s make choices that kids can’t understand and may face ridicule for. Throw in your dad dies and people are dismissing it because of something they don’t agree with and dismiss the contributions the person made to society.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:

He consistently had near peer climbing partners.  100% that added to his success.  Your post makes no sense.  Do go on.
View Quote

You obviously don’t get what happened. You really should just see yourself to the door.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:

LOL surely you can back up what you just stated in a thread with like 15 replies.  Yet sometimes the stories write themselves, because things are just, well, predictable.

How many summits do you have?
View Quote

You haven’t added a single bit of credibility and have done nothing but attack. I think the only summit you have is climbing from the basement to the kitchen when mom failed to bring you Cheetos and mountain dew.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruark] [#12]
Mountain climbing at best is still extremely dangerous. You cannot eliminate the possibility of dying up there no matter how good you are or how experienced you are. There's always x percent probability that something unexpected will happen and snuff out your life instantly, and there won't be a thing you can do about it.
I used to have a close friend that loved climbing big walls, like you see in yosemite. On one climb in the Andes they were on a wall, and he looked up and saw a ping pong ball sized rock falling towards him from way up above. As it got closer and closer, it became apparent that that little rock was the size of a box car. It missed him literally by a few inches. Not for me, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Not my friend, I knew Robbi as one of the officers I represent. I knew Robbi’s professional record and despite what people would think of Robbi’s choices, the dedication could not be questioned, nor could the souls still with us. I’ll give props where do.

And my wife just called and the scans were uploaded to the portal and are clean. You guys are stuck with me for awhile longer.

I guess one of the reasons I got pissed is a semblance of survivor’s guilt. I’ve never risked my life to save another’s. Here I am and people who have done more than me don’t get the break I apparently did. Can’t stop thinking about Robbi’s daughter. Life has to be hard enough when adult’s make choices that kids can’t understand and may face ridicule for. Throw in your dad dies and people are dismissing it because of something they don’t agree with and dismiss the contributions the person made to society.
View All Quotes

very glad to hear your scans are clear.

Everybody is different. Some people need to do things with so called increased risk. It is ingrained in their being. I have always felt sorry for the kids that lose parents. They have no choices in that.

But people die driving to work, stepping off a curb and shopping at the mall. Risk is relative but risk is also everywhere in everything, I feel very lucky to have survived the things I have done, but none of us really get a choice in when we leave this life. You can think you are mitigating all risk in life, take the safe course, and die of a massive heart attack early in life simply from genetics. There really is no such thing as no risk. Life is risk and when we go, unless by our own hand, it is not our choice. I am not even sure how we choose to live life is a choice. Sure we all make decisions, but are they really choices.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top