Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2022 1:43:19 PM EDT
Worked in a hospital with WEEKLY rotating shifts. It was ok for a while then I started having trouble getting enough sleep during the day. I did everything possible to sleep during the day but still would wake up after about three hours. It would get better as the week would progress then we changed again.

I went to the employee health clinic and asked for a prescription for Ambien. The EH doctor said I didn’t need sleep meds, I needed to stop rotating shifts every week. He said quarterly at the most. I said I tried that and my department said no.

So the doctor wrote a memo to my director stating that weekly shift change was affecting my health and all study’s show that frequent shift changes is unhealthy.

My director called me in and said I had two options. Work rotating shifts according to the schedule or find another job.

The EH doctor relented and gave me the prescription. Which I only used when working the night shift. So I used the meds every other week for one or two days.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess I was lucky. Worked all kinds of shifts for 25 years. 8,10,12 hours. Rotating, fixed. Never had a problem with sleep.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks. For me, I’d try everything before the prescription meds as I hate taking any meds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be looking for work.

that's a terrible plan
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw rotating shifts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of coffee, snacks, and energy drinks to stay awake.    

Too much alcohol and ZzzQuil to fall asleep.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d go with find another job. You can’t get another health.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Weekly rotating shifts suck.  I don't get why anyone would want them.  It's much easier to work either days or nights continually.  Rotating out of some ridiculous sense of fairness just makes everyone equally miserable.  

Been there, done that.  It really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
That schedule is fucked. There are studies on the detrimental effects on physical and mental health related to ever changing schedules vs consistency. Time to find a new job for your well being. Plus, never invite the the ambien walrus into your life.......
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The miners out here work rotating 12 hr shifts, plus at least an hour bus ride on each end.
Fuck. That.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
As the body doesn't get to adjust, rotating shift the toughest shift there is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol, unless it was just an insane amount of $ there is no way I would agree to a schedule like that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
How long have you been doing swing?

My work runs the DuPont, it took about a year to not feel like shit all the time, but now after 4-5 hours of sleep I'm good to go. the short turn around week (week 2) sucks... but it's do-able. When you start getting slammed with OT on your 7 day break is when it really gets shitty though because they'll have you working nights and days in the same week with no pattern. I have come to loathe that 7 day break, if we were properly staffed it wouldn't be as bad and I'd get half the month off.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I did that for a few years at a nuke facility. Always felt tired, but had trouble sleeping.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess I was lucky. Worked all kinds of shifts for 25 years. 8,10,12 hours. Rotating, fixed. Never had a problem with sleep.
View Quote

You cut years off your life without question.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I worked a rotating seven day shift--seven graves, two days off, seven swings, one day off, seven days, four days off, go back to graves on the fifth day.  You never get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The miners out here work rotating 12 hr shifts, plus at least an hour bus ride on each end.
Fuck. That.
View Quote

How often do they switch though?  If quarterly it's not as bad as weekly.

Also I hate to bring FedGov into this but can you go to HR with your doctor's note and ask for an ADA accommodation?  Because unless you ask HR with some specific verbiage they don't have to work with you on it, and just informing your director may not have been enough to trigger the ADA.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Been there, too.  Military ops center. 3-year tour . . . they'd have us do rotating shifts for 1 1/2 years, and do the last 1 1/2 years on Day Crew after everyone was beat up and worn out from the shift work.  Swore I'd never do rotating shift work again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck. That.
View Quote

If they are like the mines here, then it's a 7 day on schedule then 7 days off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked 24s in stations where we were lucky to get 4 hours of cumulative sleep. When I worked slow stations my sleep was restless. I went to bed anticipating getting up so never really settled. I didn't have any trouble at home though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My work runs the DuPont, it took about a year to not feel like shit all the time, but now after 4-5 hours of sleep I'm good to go. the short turn around week (week 2) sucks... but it's do-able. When you start getting slammed with OT on your 7 day break is when it really gets shitty though because they'll have you working nights and days in the same week with no pattern. I have come to loathe that 7 day break, if we were properly staffed it wouldn't be as bad and I'd get half the month off.

https://newsroom.domtar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/DuPont1-1024x541.jpg
View Quote

#metoo
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Halle-fucking-lulla!!

We voted that shitty DuPont schedule down twice like 3 years ago.

We are on a modified Panama schedule …we switch every two weeks.

EDIT:  yeah, our management’s “carrot” back then was “BBBUUTTT,, BBBUTT, you get a one week  vacation each and every month!"

Bullshit!  Because they fail to properly man  or staff the jobs / crews now.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I did it weekly for almost 3 years on embassy duty and it blows goats.  On top of that, we also had guard school, react drills, pt, collateral duties, language classes, det dinners, inspection prep and inspections, etc., that always ate up part of our time off.

Fucked my sleep for a long time after leaving that duty.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
When I am on day shifts, I have problems sleeping at night.  I take melatonin for that.

When I am working nights, BAM!  I sleep like a baby.

Don’t know why.

We have a day operator opening that needs to get filled.

I am half tempted to put in for it, but then I won’t have days off in the middle of the week.  Thst’s when I really like going to the gun range.  I have the whole place to myself.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Halle-fucking-lulla!!

We are on a modified Panama schedule we switch every two weeks.

EDIT:  yeah, our management's "carrot" back then was "BBBUUTTT,, BBBUTT, you get a one week  vacation each and every month!"

View Quote
Yeah DuPont sucks without staffing, when you're covering maternity leave, vacations, sick time, disability, etc. it adds up quickly. They've discussed switching schedules, but only seem to put forward schedules that are even shittier than what we have now.

They discussed doing the same schedule, but having it be fixed nights/days for 6 months I think it was then flipping, but you'd still be on the hook for filling the opposite schedule on your 7 day, so you'd get used to working straight nights just long enough to have them force you to cover a day shift every 7 day break and throw your schedule off again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Just had a turnaround here and a new supervisor initially scheduled some guys 13 nights, 1 day off then 13 days, 1 day off rotating for 2 months.  They were like .

Had to sit supervisor (who'd never done a turnaround) down and explain why that wouldn't work.  Supervisor balked and argued until some higher ups got involved.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked rotating 8 hr shifts for 14 years nope never again been working 7:30am to 4:30 for 3 years now I’m still not over those swings It definitely took a toll on my health still working on getting the weight I put on off!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, so there are 20 normal workdays in a month, and you only have to work 16 days a month!!!!!

That schedule looks a lot like the railroad, except the railroad will discipline you if they call you and you aren't available 75% of the time.  They will work you rotating like that BUT up to 22 days a month.  More if they can squeeze it in around the required rest periods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
This shit pisses me off. Management will have special volunteer days to feed the poor. With pictures of course. Donate to the cause of the month. Talk about how they care blah blah

But, when required to exercise a little organization and discipline to ensure that people can have healthy lives while STILL producing the same or more it is beyond them.

Don’t switch work hours on people
Don’t create constant fire drills and task switching
Don’t keep people in the dark about why they are doing something
Don’t ask them to do work without tools to see “how they handle it*”
Don’t ask for work that won’t likely be used
Don’t dump all the work on the most competent.

All of this is known to destroy productivity AND happiness/motivation.

I’m in management btw

* yes someone did that to her reports
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#30]
We did rotating (day-swing-overnight) at a chemical where I'd worked. Graveyard was dangerous the first couple of days of the week because heavy machinery and hot, high pressure stuff was being handled by a crew that was falling asleep.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If they are like the mines here, then it's a 7 day on schedule then 7 days off.
View Quote

5/5 with a push to go back to 7/7. Buddy is one of them miners and while he says it sucks the week off really helps with the schedule flip.
Here (at least with Nevada Gold) they also get paid on the bus ride to work but not the bus ride home.

As for the OP, I think i'd do what everyone else is suggesting and find another job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Make sure to do all your online shopping after taking your Ambien.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]
How much is this job worth to you? Money, your health, your off work time? Your life? Fuck all that fund a new job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just had a turnaround here and a new supervisor initially scheduled some guys 13 nights, 1 day off then 13 days, 1 day off rotating for 2 months.  They were like .

Had to sit supervisor (who'd never done a turnaround) down and explain why that wouldn't work.  Supervisor balked and argued until some higher ups got involved.
View Quote

That guy is going make people miserable in other ways. Not intentionally but will nonetheless.

Had a boss who would treat people like that but tell me how much he cared. I had to protect my team constantly. If I went on vacation I would hear about the problems he created.

When I left I pleaded with my team to manage up. Explained how, went through scenarios. They just didn’t have the comfort. They all quit after I left.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I did rotating shifts for 20 years as a LEO.  Even though our rotations were 2-6 months I never did sleep worth a damn when on graves.  
I was lucky to sleep 3-4 hours during the day.  I got into the habit of taking a 2 hour nap in the evenings before getting ready for work.  That helped but I always felt like a zombie..
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Ehh 20 years.
12 hours shifts now 13.
4 nights 3 days off 3 days on 1 off 3 nights 3 off 4 days on 7 off.
Fuck me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Halle-fucking-lulla!!

EDIT:  yeah, our management’s “carrot” back then was “BBBUUTTT,, BBBUTT, you get a one week  vacation each and every month!"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halle-fucking-lulla!!

On paper you get a week off every month. But you spend the first two days of that week off napping in front of the TV because you are to exhausted to do anything.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Make sure to do all your online shopping after taking your Ambien.
View Quote

Never had a problem with the Walrus. I would get in bed, take the pill and five minutes later lights out for 8 hours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm convinced it caused or greatly contributed to my dad's depression, and as a consequence,  massive weight gain, alcoholism, family disfunction,  etc.

Fuck rotating shifts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Rotating shifts is one thing, but rotating every week? WTF?

What kind of empty-headed dumbfuck piece of shit does that? Is that motherfucker just plain stupid? Because it takes effort to come up with something that retarded.

You can rotate shifts once a month, max. You can’t do more frequently than that without fucking up your body’s sleep schedule. Even monthly is terrible for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't get hooked on Ambien. I did and it's a bitch going off of them. I stopped cold and didn't sleep, dizzy spells, slow shallow breathing and brain fog. I had to taper off slowly with less and less of an amount.  I won't use them again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I work 12 hour nights and wouldn’t go to days if given the option, but damn I bet rotating is awful.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I have been doing the Dupont schedule for about 7 years now.  At first it was hard but I got used to it.  Black out curtains are a must for sleeping during the day.  Try to get to sleep before the sun comes up.  Also be sure to stay away from energy drinks to stay up at night. Limit yourself to 1 cup of coffee a shift.  I actually get better sleep during the day when the wife is at work and the kids are at school and I have the house to myself.  Also doing things and running errands during your "week off" is great when everyone else is at work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same shift that DUKE ENERGY used to run, (maybe still does at other plants). If you have a family, and you homeschool, then it’s great for middle of the week vacations to go places that won’t be crowded.

That said, if your schedule has you getting home while it’s still dark, then easier to get to sleep. A remote room in the house, darkened window coverings, a small fan for background white noise, and a ‘nightcap’ of your favorite alcoholic beverage other than beer. Never used sleeping pills or melatonin, as I had already seen how it affected other people.

Maybe it’s just conditioning, but have either worked second or third shift, or some form of rotating shift, since1980. Best stretch of day shift I’ve ever had was a 2.5 year period where my experience was needed during a refit outage, and the group I was assigned to only worked days.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#45]
6a-6p/6p-6a.  Rotate between the two every four weeks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, even though you "thought you were or felt fine" you would have been surprised how much better you'd have felt had you had a regular schedule.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same shift that DUKE ENERGY used to run, (maybe still does at other plants). If you have a family, and you homeschool, then it's great for middle of the week vacations to go places that won't be crowded.

That said, if your schedule has you getting home while it's still dark, then easier to get to sleep. A remote room in the house, darkened window coverings, a small fan for background white noise, and a 'nightcap' of your favorite alcoholic beverage other than beer.
View Quote
Yeah I'm in Nuclear .

I agree, in the summer when my son is out of school we go fishing, or do whatever in the middle of the week while everyone else is working, and pretty much get wherever to ourselves. When he has school, I get to put him on the bus in the morning and pick him up from school as soon as it lets out.

I invested heavily in blackout curtains for the entire place, I find I am able to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow when I get out in the morning, when I get out in the evening I can't fall asleep before about 10pm. I use Youtube longplays of old video games I grew up playing to fall asleep in the morning, the repetitive noises don't overstimulate my brain and give me background noise to fall asleep until the TV timer goes off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Night shift alone is terrible for your health, rotating night shift is worse.

I would find a better job.  In 2022 a new job is the best way to get a pay raise anyway.

So get a better job that pays more money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I would quit that job asap
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Bet the director doesn't rotate his shift.

ALL management that demand rotating shifts need to rotate with their employees.

You'd see that shit end in about a month.

Two shifts, offer night premium for the evening shift. You'd probably break even with fewer sick days financially.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top