Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 456
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#1]
Rumors going around that the International Legion in Ukraine has seen F-16's making attacks.  

I was hoping my guess for June for F-16's was accurate, let's see if more info come about.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
"If the Yaks don't get you the Falcons will"
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VflTaUnEF9w
View Quote

Looked like Switchblade kills.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

It is certainly a great demonstration of why you shouldn't "stunt drive" or lay down/play in the road.  Probably something that should be shown in driver's ED classes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
What the fuck

LOL

It is certainly a great demonstration of why you shouldn't "stunt drive" or lay down/play in the road.  Probably something that should be shown in driver's ED classes.

The stunt reminds me of something some stupid American teenagers would do.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

This may be true, at least partially true. What happens when virtually all Russian SAM systems are destroyed, and the only defense left is manpads? Can A10's flying at treetop levels and running close to 500 miles an hour deliver the goods? Can confused and drone harassed Russians use a manpad under fire?  How will supply lines react when they are harassed in the rear by strafing runs and quick exits via A10's? The reaction time of anyone using a manpad leaves a lot to be desired when the aircraft comes in low and leaves immediately. Changing A10 tactics, so as not to linger in the attack zone, seems vital to success.
View Quote

I can't ever see Ukraine elimination all SAM systems leaving them with only manpads. Neither side so far has gained air superiority, that's why you are seeing glide bombs and cruise missiles being launched from long distances.

Ukraine will never eliminate all of Russia's SA-6's, Buk's or TOR systems.

The risks posed to the A10 will always be there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

"Ronins" unit? Why exactly have they chosen that name?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View All Quotes

A Ronin is a Samurai without a master. A free spirit that wanders and goes and does what he wants.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Plus the fact that after 3 years in this war both sides still use the Su-25 with inferior systems all round.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

What does the A10 bring to the game that an attack helicopter can't do?

Many pages ago I mentioned a conversation I had with an A10 pilot in Germany who was there for war games taking place.

He compared the ability of an attack helicopter to pop up from a treeline and fire off a missile or two then duck back down  vs. the vulnerability of an A10 in that scenario.

His own words were " we will have a very glorious and short lifespan in that kind of combat arena."

With the plethora of air defense systems in the field, I don't think the A10 is a good fit.

This may be true, at least partially true. What happens when virtually all Russian SAM systems are destroyed, and the only defense left is manpads? Can A10's flying at treetop levels and running close to 500 miles an hour deliver the goods? Can confused and drone harassed Russians use a manpad under fire?  How will supply lines react when they are harassed in the rear by strafing runs and quick exits via A10's? The reaction time of anyone using a manpad leaves a lot to be desired when the aircraft comes in low and leaves immediately. Changing A10 tactics, so as not to linger in the attack zone, seems vital to success.

Plus the fact that after 3 years in this war both sides still use the Su-25 with inferior systems all round.

Let's also add that when money matters, fixed wing aircraft are cheaper to operate and maintain per flight hour.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Maybe at some point it will make sense to backfill the Su-25 with them. But even then I doubt we'll see the BRRRRTTTT moment we've all been waiting for.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Maybe at some point it will make sense to backfill the Su-25 with them. But even then I doubt we'll see the BRRRRTTTT moment we've all been waiting for.
View All Quotes

Oh I never expected Brrrrt, I expected us to get rid of old but useful system capabilities while we upgrade. They can use the aging IR maverick missiles to hit targets at 7 to 12 miles away, at night.

Plus loading the A-10 with ecm pods like the AN/ALQ-184 and -131 can help protect from Russian fire control radars, something I never see on Ukrainian and Russian Su-25's much in this war.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRKW595WIAAjFFH?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

This is way out west (relatively), closer to Lviv, nowhere near the front lines. Russia is wrecking Ukraine everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#16]
New Zelensky Selfie, this time from Pokrovsk
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

This is way out west (relatively), closer to Lviv, nowhere near the front lines. Russia is wrecking Ukraine everywhere.
View Quote

Way before even the Georgia adventure some Russian precursor to the Solovyov show was bragging about their strategy to quickly bring down a soft Western adversary. Targeting utilities was an important part of the plan per the talking heads. Besides targeting the power plants they also claimed purpose-designed capabilities for long-term disruption of the water and sanitation systems.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GROgMmhWwAAdQBo?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote

My guess is the votes are found to ensure the hardliner wins
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]

I can't ever see Ukraine elimination all SAM systems leaving them with only manpads. Neither side so far has gained air superiority, that's why you are seeing glide bombs and cruise missiles being launched from long distances.

View All Quotes

First, it's war, there are always risk. You may not be comfortable with the risk, but UA is, as they are currently flying SU-25's in this environment. And the A10 is a much better plane, with much better systems, carrying much better weapons.

Second, no, they will never get all of the SAM systems. SEAD and DEAD are ongoing missions allowing for the TEMPORARY gaining of air superiority LOCALLY to help advance a specific offensive or help beat back a RU one.

Third, as SEAD and DEAD continue to work, the area of temporary local air superiority gets larger and last longer until it covers a specific front, eventually becoming permanent. Will they ever gain air superiority over RU in all of UA/RU, most likely not and they will never attain air dominance, but that's not the point.

Fourth, UA can't fight like the US, they don't have the skill set, the experience or the equipment to do so.

Fifth, the USAF has been trying to get rid of the old girl for decades to free up money for other things. I think it's time to do so.

As a former 11B, I've never liked the idea, but I understand times change and weapons need to change too. For the way WE fight, the old girl isn't the best choice anymore, just like my beloved M113's aren't the best choice anymore. It's sad to see them go, but like people, equipment can get to old to complete it's mission too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

A10 can do everything the SU25 can.

Lob Rockets
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

Lob Rockets
View All Quotes

Lob Rockets

Fire and forget IR guided AGM-65G that we were still making by the hundreds in 2009.  I will bet that missile could kill slow Russian attack helicopters as well.
Imagine drone assisted attacks on armor.

Operation Desert Storm: A-10/AGM-65 Maverick Weapon System Video
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

First, it's war, there are always risk. You may not be comfortable with the risk, but UA is, as they are currently flying SU-25's in this environment. And the A10 is a much better plane, with much better systems, carrying much better weapons.

Second, no, they will never get all of the SAM systems. SEAD and DEAD are ongoing missions allowing for the TEMPORARY gaining of air superiority LOCALLY to help advance a specific offensive or help beat back a RU one.

Third, as SEAD and DEAD continue to work, the area of temporary local air superiority gets larger and last longer until it covers a specific front, eventually becoming permanent. Will they ever gain air superiority over RU in all of UA/RU, most likely not and they will never attain air dominance, but that's not the point.

Fourth, UA can't fight like the US, they don't have the skill set, the experience or the equipment to do so.

Fifth, the USAF has been trying to get rid of the old girl for decades to free up money for other things. I think it's time to do so.

As a former 11B, I've never liked the idea, but I understand times change and weapons need to change too. For the way WE fight, the old girl isn't the best choice anymore, just like my beloved M113's aren't the best choice anymore. It's sad to see them go, but like people, equipment can get to old to complete it's mission too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Yep.

Air defense never “goes away for good”.

It gives you OPPORTUNITY to strike in windows and requires coordination before more systems are transferred to cover the gap.

It does degrade the enemies personnel/experience, and costs their economy greatly as AD systems are exceptionally expensive.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Fire and forget IR guided AGM-65G that we were still making by the hundreds in 2009.  I will bet that missile could kill slow Russian attack helicopters as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1X6xBNEK0
View All Quotes

Lob Rockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1X6xBNEK0

That too….

Much more useful than a Hind Or even a Cobra.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRLoVCQXEAAdync?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

He don’t miss 😂
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRPYUXuWQAAKLQT?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Wtf is that
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#27]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

Wtf is that
View All Quotes

Wtf is that

The Yak-52's are trainer aircraft that got pressed into service shooting down Russian drones.  It is cheaper than using air defense or air to air missiles missiles.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Wtf is that
View All Quotes

Wtf is that

An old YAK plane from WW2 with a guy in the back shooting drones down lol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Because those movies and the lore of samurai’s and ronin are cool

I’m sure someone will be along to tell us that it’s racist and they have no master etc….
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#30]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

A Ronin is a Samurai without a master. A free spirit that wanders and goes and does what he wants.
View Quote

Also sounds cool, like the movie.

edit:beat.

I also think there is a strong element of "it sounds cool" in a lot of the nazi symbology used by elements of both sides.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Beautiful performance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
The more I look at the CZ Bren 3, the more I want one. Glad CZ is setting up shop here.

Commercial:
THE NEW CZ BREN 3 Extreme toughness for any mission!

Models and options:
THE NEW CZ BREN 3 Tougher than ever!

TFB TV:
The NEW CZ Bren 3 is Finally Here!
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By doc540:

Would your best role in the war not be flying over your own country shooting down drones from an open cockpit prop plane?  A Stearman with a couple of MG42 zippers?
View Quote

SBD/A-24 with a pair of .30 cal AN/M2 (M1919 variants) in the gunner's position with the AN/M2 .50 cal cowl-mounted guns as well.  This gives you some options a a lot of range/loiter time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Wtf is that

Produced mid-70s to late-90s.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Wtf is that

Huh. Didn’t know that.

Thought they were ww2 trainers like the Texan
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#36]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#37]
Gotta move stuff at night.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Huh. Didn’t know that.

Thought they were ww2 trainers like the Texan
View Quote

That would have been Yak-7.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#39]
1 hr ago, plus multiple sonic booms from Israeli jets over Lebanon currently.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Also sounds cool, like the movie.

edit:beat.

I also think there is a strong element of "it sounds cool" in a lot of the nazi symbology used by elements of both sides.
View Quote

Yep.

Nazi ideology was terrible and evil.

If you didn’t know what it was, you’d probably say hey I’m a soldier and this represents what I’m going through or am doing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#41]
Kursk drone attack

Air defense work reported over the Kursk region
https://t.me/ukraina_ru/206670

Air defense against UAVs continues to operate in the sky over Oboyan in the Kursk region.
https://t.me/radarrussiia/7089

Another UAV on Oboyan from the Belgorod region.
https://t.me/radarrussiia/7090

Overflight in the Krasnoyaruzhsky district of the Belgorod region from 6 UAVs.
Direction - Oboyansky district.

https://t.me/radarrussiia/7091

⚠️ Kursk region repels a massive UAV attack.
At least about 20 UAVs have already been shot down!
🇷🇺

https://t.me/atypicalday/33290

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#42]
💥🔥Tokmak under fire from Ukrainian Armed Forces militants

The Nazis are shelling this city in the Zaporozhye region with heavy weapons.

Russian air defense systems are working.

Details later.

https://t.me/vrogov/16421

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#43]
Lipetsk - 7 UAVs destroyed.
There are 7 more UAVs in the sky over Lipetsk and the region.

https://t.me/radarrussiia/7134

Nizhny Novgorod under attack by UAVs.
https://t.me/radarrussiia/7152

The strongest fire in Nizhny Novgorod. Eyewitnesses report that explosions are heard.

According to SHOT, at this moment warehouses are burning at the waste disposal site on Moskovskoye Highway. The fire area is about 1000 square meters, the fire has been assigned the second rank of complexity, a huge column of thick black smoke can be seen many kilometers away from different parts of the city. First, tanks with paints and varnishes are on fire, and there may also be gas cylinders inside the premises.

Firefighters are already on the scene, but the fire has not yet been contained. There has been no information about casualties yet.

https://t.me/shot_shot/68310

Video

️The main thing for now.
🔴 A danger from UAVs has been declared in the Kursk, Bryansk and Voronezh regions.
🔴Air defense worked in Kurchatov, Oboyan, Fatezh and Solntsevo, Kursk region, as well as in the Grayvoronsky district of the Belgorod region.
🇷🇺

https://t.me/atypicalday/33284

⚡️ Over the past night, an attempt by the Kyiv regime to carry out a terrorist attack using aircraft-type unmanned aerial vehicles on objects on the territory of the Russian Federation was stopped.  

Air defense duty systems destroyed fifteen UAVs over the territory of Kursk, 9 UAVs over the territory of Lipetsk, four UAVs each over the territories of Voronezh and Bryansk, and two UAVs each over the territories of Oryol and Belgorod regions.

🔹 Russian Ministry of Defense

https://t.me/mod_russia/40478

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

That’s YAK number two unless they repainted it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Rumors going around that the International Legion in Ukraine has seen F-16's making attacks.  

I was hoping my guess for June for F-16's was accurate, let's see if more info come about.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

As much as it would be cool for the A-10 to finish out its service killing Russians by the truckload, I just don’t think the conditions will allow that any time soon.
Absorbing F16s basically doubles, perhaps more, the size of the UAF.  Absorbing a similar number of planes of another type would be a huge stretch.
However it does provide more system depth if God forbid the war goes on and on and on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

They like the culture?
There’s a decent amount of Samurai imagery/references in various UA units.  Muramasa drone unit is another one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

SBD/A-24 with a pair of .30 cal AN/M2 (M1919 variants) in the gunner's position with the AN/M2 .50 cal cowl-mounted guns as well.  This gives you some options a a lot of range/loiter time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By doc540:

Would your best role in the war not be flying over your own country shooting down drones from an open cockpit prop plane?  A Stearman with a couple of MG42 zippers?

Make Scarff Rings Great again!

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#50]
Nothing like packing up your toys and acting like you are going home, then come back in six hours  with all your friends and 20 tanks!

Wrong link,sorry.

Right link!

Page / 456
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top