Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2021 2:20:00 PM EDT
https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Russia-starts-building-lead-cooled-fast-reactor

https://www.powermag.com/nuclear-first-work-starts-on-russian-fast-neutron-reactor/

This is the first of it's type fast-neutron reactor that will use lead as a coolant instead of sodium.  Russia already has operational sodium cooled fast-neutron reactors and India, China, and South Korea are also developing this technology.

This reactor under construction will be a smaller unit to demonstrate the technology and will have on site plants to reprocess spent fuel and to fabricate the new fuel rods.  The plant will use a new type of Uranium-Plutonium fuel that will include the use of depleted Uranium.  

If this works out as planned it will be a game changer in nuclear power as it will greatly reduce the problem of long-term storage of spent nuclear materials.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Vodkatech strikes again?  Cyka Blyat!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Lead cooling...

Makes for a compact reactor. But when there's a leak...
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
From the country that gave us Chernobyl.

ETA:
Quoted:

If this works out as planned
View Quote

It never works out as planned!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This is how you get Russian Bearzilla.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://i.redd.it/n81r2rux7aj31.jpg
View Quote

It's fine, he's in uniform, they aren't shooting at him. He is just another soldier in their military.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From the country that gave us Chernobyl.
View Quote

What country - Ukraine?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Why lead instead of sodium?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Radio active lead... never been done befro.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What country - Ukraine?
View Quote

Well I didnt read the links now did I?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.redd.it/n81r2rux7aj31.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What country - Ukraine?

"Russia" is right in the title. Can't you see it from your house anyway?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Lead is certainly better than sodium.

I'm glad the Sodium LMFBR is mostly dead though... It's a stupid fucking design. I have no idea why nuclear scientists were so enamored by it for so long.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
So down the line there is a possibility that we can buy radioactive lead bullets, just not in Cali.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lead doesn't get explody when water touches it.

The soviets used lead coolant on one class of submarine. They occasionally would freeze but it was "fail safe".
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So down the line there is a possibility that we can buy radioactive lead bullets, just not in Cali.
View Quote

NEW, from Wolf and TulAmmo!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The only real viable "Green Energy" technology available at the moment.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
We are falling so far behind, and many comments in this thread reflect why.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Chernobyl 2.0 coming soon to a rain cloud near you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Durr, nUcleAr p0weR iS onlY g00g foR maKinG GodZillas."
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The soviets used lead coolant on one class of submarine. They occasionally would freeze but it was "fail safe".
View Quote

If the lead is hot enough (molten), when it touches water, the water vaporizes and the lead can get moving pretty good (enough to stick to the ceiling anyway.  So yeah, not chemically reactive like sodium.  Just kinectically energetic.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it doesn't react explosively with both air and water.

Sodium reactors have some of the worst safety records out there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"Russia" is right in the title. Can't you see it from your house anyway?
View Quote

Only during the third month of winter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#24]
At least they are still trying to make nuclear power .. we could lead the world but somehow out overlords have chosen not to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least they are still trying to make nuclear power .. we could lead the world but somehow out overlords have chosen not to.
View Quote

If we were to develop advanced nuclear reactors that processed their waste products down to things that are commercially useful and a few other things with a half life of centuries instead of millennia then that would be, in the opinion of anti-nuclear activists, playing god

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Liquid lead does.  Not from the same mechanism. But hot liquid metals and water are a non-starter regardless of chemistry. Good energy density though.   they made a couple submarines with them and they were the aquatic versions of the MIG-25.  Fast as shit.

They have a long history of lead and lead-bismuth cooled reactors. None of it good.

5 years or less before they freeze it right cock stiff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Liquid lead does.  Not from the same mechanism. But hot liquid metals and water are a non-starter regardless of chemistry. Good energy density though.   they made a couple submarines with them and they were the aquatic versions of the MIG-25.  Fast as shit.

They have a long history of lead and lead-bismuth cooled reactors. None of it good.

5 years or less before they freeze it right cock stiff.
View Quote

The Russians intended to have dockside steam plants to keep the lead in the Alpha Class Submarines reactor coolant liquid. The steam plants never worked right so they had to keep their reactors going while in port.

I have the image in my minds eye of some guy with a hot rod with an insanely powerful engine. But he can't turn the engine off. So he has to pay local kids to sit in it and occasionally rev the engine, all hours of the day and night.

That kind of nuclear program makes you very popular with your neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool!   Time to cut those pesky green house gases!  Way to go mother Russia!

Vodka infused concrete reinforced with scraped Ak-47’s!

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

not a nuclear engineer here.  But I would guess its because in case of a leak - lead is fairly non reactive, whereas sodium is an alkali metal, and reacts violently to water (it explodes) and can catch on fire when exposed to oxygen.

Additionally lead is a damn good radiation filter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it comes down to not being enough kickbacks for people in power.  Anyone can start a green energy company and use connections to get tax subsidies to make a huge profit.  Nuclear requires a huge investment and miles of red tape.  Two nuclear plants in IL are shutting down this year because they can't compete economically with subsidized wind and solar power.

The US was the world leader in just about everything but we pissed it away for short term profits and feel good bullshit.

For all the talk of Russia being a gas station that produces nothing, they are pretty much the world leader in nuclear power.  Around the world there are 50 nuclear reactors under construction.  Russia is building 16 of them.  Only 3 are in Russia, they are building reactors in Slovakia, Turkey, Iran, India, Bangladesh, and China.  China is building 16 reactors and the US is building.... 2.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would venture to say, lead isn't going to spontaneous explode like highly reactive sodium...
A leak is a leak... a sodium leak could make chernobyl look pleasant... Kabombski!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweeeeet. My bullets are gonna be super deadly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#34]
3.6 Roentgen
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Caldicott is a twat.
View Quote

And like AOC and Pelosi, she is a powerful twat. So anyone who wants advanced fission technologies is going to have to deal with her and her followers.

A few days ago I had an acquaintance screaming at me about Fukushima. Claiming that it had discharged hundreds of millions of tons of cesium into the Pacific Ocean and it was all washing up in California.

I tried to explain to him that it was physically impossible for the Fukushima-Daichi reactors to discharge that much cesium but he wouldn't listen and neither will the rest of these twats.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#37]
You know what I find fascinating about nuclear energy production?  It is all steam based.  We have been powering stuff with steam since the late 1600s. I am not a rocket scientist and you would think by now we could have something better than using something as high tech as a nuclear plant to just boil water into steam to power a turbine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Hopefully they don't let it cool into a radioactive lead brick:

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You know what I find fascinating about nuclear energy production?  It is all steam based.  We have been powering stuff with steam since the late 1600s. I am not a rocket scientist and you would think by now we could have something better than using something as high tech as a nuclear plant to just boil water into steam to power a turbine.
View Quote

What about closed circuit hydro electric? Low power circulation motors pushing momentum and driving high speed turbines, trap and recycle condensates so the system doesn’t lose hydro to evap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Elan Musk needs to be working on this kind of stuff.  It takes alot of juice to charge all those cars he will have on the road in 10 years.  If the power grid gets flakey because of increasing demand on it for EV and other growth,  people won't have so much confidence in EV and his sales drop
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#41]
If I recall from some of the "Sub Brief" videos, the Russians have a lengthy, and not particularly great, track record with liquid metal cooled reactors in their subs.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if we develop commercially viable fusion we will probably be using it to heat water for a good long time.

Direct energy conversion is possible. But all such systems are fairly delicate and strictly experimental at the moment. Nothing that can withstand the neutron bombardment inside a reactor.

At the moment I think the only thing that can even compete with water is molten salts. The heat from which is usually passed to water via a cooling loop.

Personally I want to build a molten salt reactor with a synthetic diamond moderator instead of a graphite moderator. There have been experiments with converting radioactive graphite from decommissioned nuclear reactors into diamond batteries.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Elon Musk needs to be working on this kind of stuff.  It takes alot of juice to charge all those cars he will have on the road in 10 years.  If the power grid gets flakey because of increasing demand on it for EV and other growth,  people won't have so much confidence in EV and his sales drop
View Quote

He's busy right now.

But yeah, he really should have a power plant program or two besides these dinky solar panel outfits he's fucking around with.

Once offworld colonies are established he is probably going to have to get into the nuclear game. But I would be shocked if he didn't have some sketches for space based solar satellites.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. ^^^

Meanwhile in the USA we want to shut power plants down, want ever car and truck electric by 2025, and think 87,000 windmills will power the US.

AMERICA
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first thought was, "Why aren't we doing that??!!"

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Why not use gallium? Other than being corrosive to certain stuff it seem like a no brainer since it’s melting point is 30c
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hopefully they don't let it cool into a radioactive lead brick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z673s5w8000
View Quote
I was going to say, don't they already have a piss poor track record with this tech?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top