Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2024 11:58:27 PM EDT
What do you guys do to protect the underbody and fenders from rust?  I just picked up a clean SC pickup and need to do something to protect it from MI winters.

I have heard there is a do it yourself wax kit?  I know about the usual undercoating sprays in a can and Ziebarting.

Trying to do it myself

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Fluid Film works.  I have used it personally.  It's pretty easy to DIY.

B'laster Surface Shield is supposed to be awesome. I haven't used it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the tailgate and rockers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
FluidFilm
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
LPS3 and Fluid Film.

Ultimately, driving a sacrificial salt belt vehicle is your best option.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Fluid Film or Wool Wax.

If you own an air compressor buy it in a one gallon can, plus this and a tarp to protect your driveway.  Put on some old clothes and go to town.  Once gallon will cover a full size pickup.  Take off the wheel well liners and any plastic trim to Ensure that you get under it.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RPZWLC?tag=arfcom00-20

The stuff may be too thick to spray.  If so, heat it up in the microwave before applying.

Your vehicle will stink like wet sheep for a week or so but eventually the smell goes away.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Woolwax.

If you're up to two steps spraying with motor oil first will really get into the nooks and crannies, then Woolwax a week or so later gives everything a nice heavy coating.

For something really thick but a little harder to get into some spots I like CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor ~ I like to keep a couple of cans of this handy to hit random exposed spots/crevices whenever I'm working on a vehicle.

ETA: don't be shy about drilling an inconspicuous hole here or there if it helps you get behind a panel or inside a door.

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I know, I'm from Arizona, but this stuff is for real.

https://nhoilundercoating.com/
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
fluid film seems popular here. might give it a try on my truck, but wondering if anyone's had issues with it attracting dirt? just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I use this stuff

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fluid film seems popular here. might give it a try on my truck, but wondering if anyone's had issues with it attracting dirt? just a thought.
View Quote

Of course it attracts dirt.  I've never found rust under oil saturated dirt though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LPS3 and Fluid Film.

Ultimately, driving a sacrificial salt belt vehicle is your best option.
View Quote

A youtube channel I follow has been doing a lot of rust inhibitor testing, and the LPS3 held up the best, even in direct sun exposure. It beat out cosmoline, which really couldn't stand up to the sun. It's more expensive, but I'll be buying it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of course it attracts dirt.  I've never found rust under oil saturated dirt though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Which why you use waste oil and spray it underneath the vehicle. Drive down a dirt road and your done.

The fluid film washed off in one winter on my F-350. Only drove it 500 miles. Stuff is way to thin. Maybe inside panels but not on a exposed frame or floor pan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Fluid Film.

Don't forget to open the garage doors and wear some breath things.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which why you use waste oil and spray it underneath the vehicle. Drive down a dirt road and your done.

The fluid film washed off in one winter on my F-350. Only drove it 500 miles. Stuff is way to thin. Maybe inside panels but not on an exposed frame or floor pan.
View Quote

You may have done it wrong or applied it too thin
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You may have done it wrong or applied it too thin
View Quote

Been undercoating cars for 30 years or more. 20 in the body shops. Believe me it was dripping off. Applied it 3 months before winter and the truck sat in the yard over 2 months.

Driving through heavy slush, snow and rain took 80% of it off. Have to redo the truck before winter this year. Problem is with Fluid crap on there. How do you cover over it? Whatever I put on there won't stick because of the film crap. NOT going to waste my time or money putting more Fluid Film on it just to have to redo it again in a couple months.

Worst undercoating I've ever used. Try a small area first before coating the whole truck. See if it holds up for driving in your area.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Been undercoating cars for 30 years or more. 20 in the body shops. Believe me it was dripping off. Applied it 3 months before winter and the truck sat in the yard over 2 months.

Driving through heavy slush, snow and rain took 80% of it off. Have to redo the truck before winter this year. Problem is with Fluid crap on there. How do you cover over it? Whatever I put on there won't stick because of the film crap. NOT going to waste my time or money putting more Fluid Film on it just to have to redo it again in a couple months.

Worst undercoating I've ever used. Try a small area first before coating the whole truck. See if it holds up for driving in your area.
View Quote

Huh, that sucks

Upstate NY winters are a mess, and my truck lives on the beach at the surf line all summer, ten years and no rust.

But it’s dirty underneath. I apply FF every year, and while it’s messy I’m also rust free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top