Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2024 2:58:22 AM EDT
Low use 18v that is dead. Charger blinks defective. Started looking for videos about resetting them.  Has anyone had any luck doing this?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:13:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#1]
I tried it to no avail.   Good luck

Btw, I think what killed mine, was leaving it in the charger, with the charger unpowered.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

I just had 2 go bad. The only thing that I can think of is that they got too hot in my truck toolbox.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I did one, it worked for maybe a few months at most. Since it was dead I had nothing to lose.

Search for a video, the one I saw was a heavyset, black gentleman who showed how to drill holes in the side and with another battery, bypass the 3rd contact and get enough charge into the battery so the charger recognizes it.  I'm guessing mine had a dead cell as it didn't work for long after, if you only had a battery that was really dead, I suppose it could be brought back to life and continue on.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Low use 18v that is dead. Charger blinks defective. Started looking for videos about resetting them.  Has anyone had any luck doing this?
View Quote

I helped a friend revive some dead Ryobi batteries.  *some* of their batteries (not all) have a surprisingly high self-discharge rate, and if you don't charge them often enough (even without use), they will self-discharge to a low enough voltage that either the charger or BMS decides to not let them charge.

I opened up the case, hooked directly to the cells, and gave them a VERY small current until the voltage was high enough for the charger/BMS to be happy, then they continued working as normal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Watched the video and will give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Results?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 6ah m12 battery give me the bad battery blink.
One set of cells was like .8 volts off. I took the case off figured out the positive and negative of the low cell hooked up a bench power supply on it and charged it up to equal the other two. It works on the charger now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I read about people jump starting packs to get them to charge.

Here's a thread about someone charging an underperfoming individual cell to get the entire pack working as it shoudl.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/dewalt-20v-battery-not-fully-charging.526906/
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry.  Days off cancelled for now.  Got to put it on the bench for now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a thought:  

If you had purchased a Ridgid tool, the tool, batteries, and charger would be under a lifetime warranty.

I have gotten free batteries twice and new chargers once, so far.  

I do own a couple Ryobi, because at the time they were the only option for a battery op glue gun and pest sprayer.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
My Milwaukee batteries die if I leave them on a Bluetooth tool for too long.  If the watch battery in the tool is dead, it's brings the 18v battery to less than zero if left in the tool.  I get the same blinking error on the charger.  I crimpled eyes on some romex.  They fit all the batteries I have except 12v stuff.  I'm not familiar with Ryobi batteries, but you need to devise another method for fixing your jumpers for stick shaped batteries.  Get a good battery with at least two bars and jump it to the dead battery until you get one bar on the dead battery.  It will charge after that.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2024 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have tried to reset tool batteries, never was successful. I do buy the knock offs on ebay for 1/2 the money of home depot
probably come from the same factory in some chicom shitehole.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
I have tried to reset tool batteries, never was successful. I do buy the knock offs on ebay for 1/2 the money of home depot
probably come from the same factory in some chicom shitehole.
View Quote
Guess how my neighbor's house caught fire..............
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
I did one, it worked for maybe a few months at most. Since it was dead I had nothing to lose.

Search for a video, the one I saw was a heavyset, black gentleman who showed how to drill holes in the side and with another battery, bypass the 3rd contact and get enough charge into the battery so the charger recognizes it.  I'm guessing mine had a dead cell as it didn't work for long after, if you only had a battery that was really dead, I suppose it could be brought back to life and continue on.
View Quote

Same for me
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I tried it to no avail.   Good luck

Btw, I think what killed mine, was leaving it in the charger, with the charger unpowered.
View Quote

Leaving it in charging killed both mine (apparently, a known issue).

Strange they both died at the same time, I might add, as I only have one charger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I had two fail recently .
Did all the repairs.
Both mine had full charges but decided to just blink all 4 lights.
Tried the wire jump.  Nope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top