Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish the 2 asshole cranes that live in my neighborhood would stop by my yard for a day or 2 and eat the fucking moles I can't seem to get rid of.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
This morning I saw 200 feeding on the ground and 100+ flying around at no more than 50ft above the ground.

27 days left in season...me no shotgun in truck
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Like mourning doves, the state of Michigan deems sandhill cranes too pretty to shoot.

But having seen the videos on YouTube about rib eye in the sky I would hunt them if I could. Looks like good eating.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they have an extremely distinct call, you can't mistake it.
View Quote

I love hearing them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dang it. Came in to post this. Go watch the meateater episode.  Check your states season and throw some on the grill. Show us some dinner pics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before "ribeye of the sky"?

Dang it. Came in to post this. Go watch the meateater episode.  Check your states season and throw some on the grill. Show us some dinner pics.

That episode was filmed just outside Lockney Tx. We used to murder those things when I was kid out there. Hell...I thought everyone hunted pheasant with Ruger 10-22 from the back of moving pick up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That episode was filmed just outside Lockney Tx. We used to murder those things when I was kid out there. Hell...I thought everyone hunted pheasant with Ruger 10-22 from the back of moving pick up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before "ribeye of the sky"?

Humble brag....  all we had growing up was mallard duck on some lakes and ruffed grouse in the mountains of east Tn. After watching the meat eater episode I looked the season up for here, not surprised I would have to go to West Tn to make it worth my time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Frickin dinosaur birds. Cant say I’ve seen that exact senario, but they creep me out in general.

What lake you on?
View Quote

we call them Dinosaurs.

there was a day that was really foggy and a group landed out and walked into the decoys out of the fog and everyone who was there said it was one of the creepiest things they had ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw a great hunting dog get ruined by one
View Quote

never use a dog on them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People actual travel to hunt them? They're all over where I live. One tried to fight my neighbor the other day lol. I like them, but they are slow as shit crossing the road.
View Quote

its huge hunting here with out of staters coming in all the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
2016 Season | Rib Eye of the Sky
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
they have an extremely distinct call, you can't mistake it.
View Quote

Like a cross between a Canada goose and a frog.

I log a lot of miles looking for them when they're around, never seen them on ice though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When I was a kid, we never saw Canada Geese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last week there were hundreds at my Dads farm. When I was a kid we never saw one.

When I was a kid, we never saw Canada Geese.

We saw them, but until the 90s it was a big deal-almost like seeing an eagle. Didn't talk to anyone who actually hunted geese until about 1991, and nobody had any idea that "Canada goose" includes about 9 different birds, from the size of a small  mallard to 10 or 15 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those fucking things will clean every fish out of a farm pond in no time.
View Quote

That's probably cormorants. Sandhills tend to wade around the edges and pick off shallow stuff at the edge of water, if they eat by water at all.

The shit brick cormorants dive DEEP and can pick off almost anything.

We had sandhills around ponds for years and still had tons of fish.

The cormorants started building up and boom, fish all gone.

The old timers here get more fired up about those things than wolves, and they're protected and fish and game has gotten aggressive about them. They've wiped out several local ponds
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's probably cormorants. Sandhills tend to wade around the edges and pick off shallow stuff at the edge of water, if they eat by water at all.

The old timers here get more fired up about those things than wolves, and they're protected and fish and game has gotten aggressive about them. They've wiped out several local ponds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those fucking things will clean every fish out of a farm pond in no time.

Herons are probably what he's thinking of.  They look look like cranes, and they will clean out your pond.  I have a big plastic heron out by my pond to keep others away.  It works.  They'll land about thirty feet from it, lose the staring contest, and leave.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw a great hunting dog get ruined by one
View Quote

i heard many horror stories when we in ND hunting ducks and geese about the same thing.  I left the dogs in the dogbox when we'd try for Sandhills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This was just a small lake of 96 Near Brighton.  Don't know the name of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frickin dinosaur birds. Cant say I've seen that exact senario, but they creep me out in general.

What lake you on?
This was just a small lake of 96 Near Brighton.  Don't know the name of it.

Gotcha, not sure which lake that would be, there’s several off 96 through Brighton.

I grew up in Brighton!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw a bald eagle fly into a flock of them a week or two ago.  It was like watching a a war plane dive into the bomber formation.  The cranes scattered everywhere then formed back up after raising holy hell for several minutes!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top