Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2024 1:00:03 PM EDT
I hadn't seen one of these in years. It was beautiful and thought I'd share. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that like a dodge mini truck from way back?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm certain I've seen that exact truck rolling into the gate of Maple Grove before
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't seen one of those in a long time. Nice to see it in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johhnyrotten] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hubAR:
View Quote

Nope. Full size. Had  360 Magnum V-8.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat, haven't seen one in the wild for twenty years.

Car shows are a zoo
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Fastest American production vehicle in 1978.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
THAT's not the Little Red Wagon.

This is Little Red Wagon.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to a car show in Ballston Spa last year and there was 7 of them there. Yes 7 Little red express trucks. I haven't seen 7 of them in 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Johhnyrotten:

View Quote

Got ya. The perspective with the other cars must be throwing me off, making me think it’s smaller. Those stacks are ridiculous but they only make me like it more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johhnyrotten] [#10]

Got ya. The perspective with the other cars must be throwing me off, making me think it’s smaller. Those stacks are ridiculous but they only make me like it more.
View Quote

The stacks were from the factory
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Lil Red Express. Faster than a Vette in the late 70's. That's sad.

My friend sold his to a guy in Germany for $15k in decent shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Guy done the street has one.

Nice truck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Friend of mine in high school had one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Panty dropper fo sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Was JC Whitney a thing when that was conjured up, or was it what inspired JC Whitney to open their catalog?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sirveaux] [#16]

Yeah.

It's a lil' red express.  Even says so on the side.  They're both clearly labeled.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Johhnyrotten:Saw Dodge Lil Red Wagon outside of work.l
View Quote

That is NOT a lil Red Wagon.
It's a Lil Red Truck

This is a Little Red Wagon

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was a kid there was a house down the street that always had one parked out front.

this picture brings back memories
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Grandfather had a Power Wagon that color when I was a kid.  Do want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#20]
There's two of them in m AO. Both beat up and rusty, but still running. One brown, one white

Cool looking trucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Did you know that they were quicker than the corvettes the years they were made together?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#22]
Someone had one at work, retard removed the LRET logo on the doors. They were in pretty good shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#23]
My FIL had one once. Neat truck, but at that time, it wasn't old enough to even draw looks. It was just a ten year old truck with some stacks and nice stickers.

I saw one recently for sale in great shape. Apparently, like other vehicles around that time period and especially the limited edition stuff, the ones in great shape are commanding a nice little sum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice, been a few years since I’ve seen one. Did see a Warlock a few months ago, in decent shape. Always liked them, as well, esp since it was 4x4; Dad had a 72 Power Wagon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember when they came out. I wanted one when 'I grew up' and had a license to drive. I even built the model.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Legacy low comp 8.x:1 E58 cop lump - but no choking (zero pellet cats and nice 21/2 dual exhausts with decent mufflers) and none of the malaise era shitty cam profiles. Decent heads and a Carter ThermoQuad helped.

It was nearly a 15 second runner when that was fast - due to Detroit losing its way.

Still I dig the Warlock aesthetic better and the engine choices. But good on Mopar for doing something right. . .until they did nothing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Racer_X] [#27]
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:
View Quote

Quickest, actually.  Top speed was just under 120mph.
You'll often see the word "fastest" on the internet, but that is a misnomer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I wanted one bad back then. But I could not find one for sale in the Houston area. I ended up buying a 1978 Dodge 5/8 ton stepside in UT burnt orange color w/ black interior. It had the white wagon wheels and raised solid white letter tires and a gun rack in the back window.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: McGuy] [#29]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Racer_X:
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:

Attachment Attached File

eta- Just teasing, I'm as much of a grammar nazi as anyone here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Always thought that those were cool as kid.

Thought that they would be even more so if they smoked like a diesel when you stepped on it.

Yeah, I knew the were gas engines, but still.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Reason the Warlock and Lil Red Express trucks were faster than a Corvette of the time, was due to choking emissions laws. The cars, even the Vette 350 engine that is/was best chevy motor made (except the earlier 454 and 427 engines) was choked down to less than 200 or so horsepower, while the emissions laws didn't affect the trucks at the time, so no or very limited emission laws, but mostly a PVC and rejetted carb to make it look good for the guberment.

Remember these were also the days of 55 MPH highway speed laws test stations using the new gas additives of either Ethanol or Methanol fuel ratio percentages, depending on which gas station you used. It was shitty running vehicle times, carbs/rubber hoses being eaten up by fuel use, hard starts and mechanics raking in bundles fixing problems of what the fuels caused.

It was also a time when NOT ALL gas stations used mixed fuels, so finding a gas station with still good cheap fuel was easily available if you wanted a good running vehicle engine.

I once had a 78 Ramcharger w/360, but I changed the 2-barrel stock carb setup over to aftermarket Edelbrock 340 4-barrel aluminum intake and put on a 600 Holley carb that I rejetted and worked over. That really woke up that engine to let it breath and run, along with 2-1/2" true dual exhaust.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
saw one five minutes ago.

It resides at my friend’s garage.  It’s his.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw these everywhere when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrKlahn] [#35]
Cool!

It had the fastest 0-60 time when it came out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Correction OP:

Little Red Express is the accepted nomenclature.

Little Red Wagon was the name given to Bill "Maverick" Golden's wheelstander Dodge A100
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#37]
my grandfather had a warlock...  i think i still have the wooden rails from it
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
I'm certain I've seen that exact truck rolling into the gate of Maple Grove before
View Quote

@governmentman

I know I've seen that truck many times.  You ain't wrong
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:03:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#39]
I saw a Ford Pinto " Cruising Wagon" today in traffic, I think the same era. Honestly I was suprised that there was a Pinto still on the road, let alone such a fine example of pussy magnetism.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Jerry's Curb Service is a nice place for a cruise in a classic car. I need to get down there before the weather turns to shit. I'm assuming you're closer to western PA with that plate on the truck?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#41]
The guy I bought my ‘66 Mustang from had one with a 360 MOPAR crate motor in it. Also had an older ‘60’s Dodge truck with an old school 392 Hemi. Not the new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dlshady] [#42]

View All Quotes

They were actually the quickest American production vehicles built in 1978 and 1979.  

And it's a Lil Red Express, not a Lil Red Wagon...  

ETA:  I should have known it was already covered.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Legacy low comp 8.x:1 E58 cop lump - but no choking (zero pellet cats and nice 21/2 dual exhausts with decent mufflers) and none of the malaise era shitty cam profiles. Decent heads and a Carter ThermoQuad helped.
View Quote

IIRC they used the W2 heads which were the latest hot stuff for A engines at the time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#44]
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:

IIRC they used the W2 heads which were the latest hot stuff for A engines at the time.
View All Quotes

I'm almost certain it had the  E58 Police heads. Pretty sure the trick Holley, intake and W2s never made production.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm almost certain it had the  E58 Police heads. Pretty sure the trick Holley, intake and W2s never made production.
View Quote

Looks like you are correct.
I was going by reports back in the day in Car Craft or Hot Rod.  I guess their preproduction samples mislead me all these years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#46]

I was going by reports back in the day in Car Craft or Hot Rod.  I guess their preproduction samples mislead me all these years.
View All Quotes

Only recall as it was one of the first models held out of me as a parts bin special.

Reapply a production engine (tho kinda special E58 HD Police) throw some good stuff on it (Holley carb and hi-rise, 340 cam, carb, heads, dual intake air, big cc mufflers and big diameter exhaust. Trucks allowed no cats). Prod had to go with parts bin ThermoQuad, E58 manifold and heads, prolly since tested out. Which impacted and sucked. Still lot on the trucks was borrowed upgrades - even interior.

W2 Race heads were pretty hot shit for Mopar in the day.

ETA: looking at the article the efficiency barely changed. And the power ratings, but a second faster. Hmmm

Those muffler were off the  A134-440 engined cars? LOL no wonder they flowed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#47]
There's one in my neighborhood that old boy only brings out of the garage once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Actually-923.jpg

eta- Just teasing, I'm as much of a grammar nazi as anyone here.
View Quote

I had actually put faster than a Corvette, then caught myself because this is GD and put quicker, lol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I hadn't seen one of these in years. It was beautiful and thought I'd share. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/Screenshot_20240906_125305_Gallery_jpg-3314806.JPG
View Quote

that's a li'l red express truck, not a lil red wagon, which would be an a-100. my '78 below.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:
Reason the Warlock and Lil Red Express trucks were faster than a Corvette of the time, was due to choking emissions laws. The cars, even the Vette 350 engine that is/was best chevy motor made (except the earlier 454 and 427 engines) was choked down to less than 200 or so horsepower, while the emissions laws didn't affect the trucks at the time, so no or very limited emission laws, but mostly a PVC and rejetted carb to make it look good for the guberment.

Remember these were also the days of 55 MPH highway speed laws test stations using the new gas additives of either Ethanol or Methanol fuel ratio percentages, depending on which gas station you used. It was shitty running vehicle times, carbs/rubber hoses being eaten up by fuel use, hard starts and mechanics raking in bundles fixing problems of what the fuels caused.

It was also a time when NOT ALL gas stations used mixed fuels, so finding a gas station with still good cheap fuel was easily available if you wanted a good running vehicle engine.

I once had a 78 Ramcharger w/360, but I changed the 2-barrel stock carb setup over to aftermarket Edelbrock 340 4-barrel aluminum intake and put on a 600 Holley carb that I rejetted and worked over. That really woke up that engine to let it breath and run, along with 2-1/2" true dual exhaust.
View Quote

There was no alcohol in fuel back then. There was lead in gas until 75. You are horribly wrong . Alcohol in fuel came in the 2008-2010 range. I have a RamChicken out in my pole barn , I am the second owner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top