Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2021 5:56:53 PM EDT
I found this when cleaning out my dad’s attic. Appears to me to be a saxophone, and a pretty old one. Anyone have an idea of its value?

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Conn alto sax. Would guess it is worth around 500 or so?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How can you tell it’s an alto?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's the size and shape of an alto . . .

Take a picture of the serial number. Should be around the thumb pad (the L bracket).
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOOK HOW BIG IT IS....BIG SAXS BURN BIG COAL
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small size and straight neck. Tenor saxes are larger and have a curved neck. Baritones are larger still & have an almost looped neck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Take a picture of the serial number. Should be around the thumb pad (the L bracket).
View Quote

Serial # is 84886. There is an "L" beneath the serial.

Says it was patented  Dec. 8, 1914, patent no. 1119954. There is an "A" beneath the patent no.

ETA it appears the A stands for Alto and the L stands for Low tone.

Looking at serial number it says its around 1922 production.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks. Serial number added, above. Looks like it was manufactured sometime in the early 20s. Crazy how good a shape its in being that old and probably having been in my grandparents' attic in the Florida heat and humidity for the last fifty-plus years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Related:

Cannonball Vintage Reborn vs. Conn 10M

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If it says "low pitch" somewhere, it's not worth a great deal.  They are not tuned to play with modern A-440 concert pitch.  Either way, repairs, pads & any other parts are likely to exceed the instruments value.  I would just hang on to it since it was you Dad's.  Hang up somewhere & enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it says "low pitch" somewhere, it's not worth a great deal.  They are not tuned to play with modern A-440 concert pitch.  Either way, repairs, pads & any other parts are likely to exceed the instruments value.  I would just hang on to it since it was you Dad's.  Hang up somewhere & enjoy it.
View Quote

Not quite, low pitch in this case means modern A (or at least between 436-440 Hz). While it's true that baroque music was much lower than modern (possibly around 415), at the turn of the 20th century European and America had moved much higher (456ish) but finally settled on 440 by the outbreak of WWII. As far as the value, it's mostly in the sentimental sort.  It should be playable if you had it taken to a competent woodwind tech, but the cost would most likely exceed the value.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Among other ways, by the shape of the neck or size of the instrument.
I’ve played just a few saxophones over the years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool horn!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of looks like a C melody.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
"Low Pitch" means it is A = 440, and will play in tune with other modern instruments.  It is the "High Pitch" you want to avoid.

This old saxophone is in very good shape and has been maintained over the years.  If not, it would be black, like silverware
turns black.  Those pads will need to be replaced.  I can see they are the original type white leather pads.

The Conns of that era were professional instruments for the most part.  They are very common, a gazillion of them out there,
not rare.  With good pads and adjustment, certainly a playable instrument suitable for a student.

Vital that the mouthpiece be in good condition, with no nicks or chips on the "facing" - the surfaces where the reed will touch.  

So, it needs an overhaul aka repad.

(And I've played professionally for more than 50 years.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Among other ways, by the shape of the neck or size of the instrument.
I’ve played just a few saxophones over the years.
View Quote

Quoted:
"Low Pitch" means it is A = 440, and will play in tune with other modern instruments.  It is the "High Pitch" you want to avoid.

This old saxophone is in very good shape and has been maintained over the years.  If not, it would be black, like silverware
turns black.  Those pads will need to be replaced.  I can see they are the original type white leather pads.

The Conns of that era were professional instruments for the most part.  They are very common, a gazillion of them out there,
not rare.  With good pads and adjustment, certainly a playable instrument suitable for a student.

Vital that the mouthpiece be in good condition, with no nicks or chips on the "facing" - the surfaces where the reed will touch.  

So, it needs an overhaul aka repad.

(And I've played professionally for more than 50 years.)
View Quote

Amazing how many saxophone players are on this gun forum. That makes three of us at least.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I also learned to play saxophone when I was 8. Mine was a Yamaha alto saxophone. I played that for like 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Amazing how many saxophone players are on this gun forum. That makes three of us at least.
View Quote

I still have mine from high school.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#19]
pick up some fresh reeds, and learn how to play this

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street Long Version

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't a sax player but that bell section does look big for an alto.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wasn't a sax player but that bell section does look big for an alto.
View Quote

No, that's an alto. The proportions of the bell and body and neck are too small to be a C Melody.

Specifically it's a Conn New Wonder Alto, looks to be silver plated. Dates from between 1916 and 1925-ish.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/model/17

They go for between $600 and $900 online if they are in good playing condition. If it needs to be overhauled and repadded, it will cost about $500-600 just for that.

I can tell just from the picture that was posted that it will need a full repad. The pads are pretty much rotten.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too. Played for many years. My alto needs some work if I decide to play again. All new pads and a tune up to balance the springs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Me too. Played for many years. My alto needs some work if I decide to play again. All new pads and a tune up to balance the springs.
View Quote

You in Tulsa? I know the repair crew at Saied Music. Went to school with their saxophone repairman. If you're interested in getting together once this COVID shit is done with let me know. I've been trying to form a quartet for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks. Serial number added, above. Looks like it was manufactured sometime in the early 20s. Crazy how good a shape its in being that old and probably having been in my grandparents' attic in the Florida heat and humidity for the last fifty-plus years.
View Quote

Looks can be deceiving on a woodwind instrument.
At the least the pads are shot if it's ben sitting around that long.
It can cost up to $1200 to repad a sax depending on how much work is involved.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I played alto sax in the high school jazz band and when I went to college.
I played baritone sax in marching band and in concert band.

I had a Selmer-Bundy student model alto my parents bought for me.
It was junk, I used a metal mouthpiece and I could get some volume out of it.
I sold it when I needed cash.

In my junior year in high school the band received new instruments.
The band director was able to talk the school into buying a 1977 Selmer Paris Mark VI Low A Bari Sax.
He "gave" it to me and told me he would wring my neck if I fucked it up.  
I enjoyed playing it, I could really wail on it.

I used to start the day playing Tower of Power's Squib Cakes on it (I think every bari player does that).

I didn't like the soprano or tenor sax, I hated to transpose the music.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I played through 10th grade, so add another half?

But I know it's been a REALLY long time since I have touched a sax when I look at that and go "I don't remember there being a pad on the back of the bell"
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I played alto sax in the high school jazz band and when I went to college.
I played baritone sax in marching band and in concert band.

I had a Selmer-Bundy student model alto my parents bought for me.
It was junk, I used a metal mouthpiece and I could get some volume out of it.
I sold it when I needed cash.

In my junior year in high school the band received new instruments.
The band director was able to talk the school into buying a 1977 Selmer Paris Mark VI Low A Bari Sax.
He "gave" it to me and told me he would wring my neck if I fucked it up.  
I enjoyed playing it, I could really wail on it.

I used to start the day playing Tower of Power's Squib Cakes on it (I think every bari player does that).

I didn't like the soprano or tenor sax, I hated to transpose the music.

View Quote

I like the tone of tenor the best, but yeah I would have hated to play it for the key reason.  I never played anything but alto, but my parents came kinda close to buying me a soprano when I expressed some interest in it.  

I was a quite good concert band player, but never took it all THAT seriously.  I did not get along with the marching band geeks in HS, but it was a pseudo-requirement to play in the symphonic band.  I didn't actually have to march because I played soccer which was the same season, but I still had to go to all their shit when I wasn't at soccer practice or games.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow. That’s an old Conn. Probly made in the 20’s or 30’s. Nice find!

Sadly, vintage horns really aren’t worth much these days unless it’s a Selmer Mark VI. They also don’t play particularly well (I was a full time sax player at one point in my life).

I don’t know much about the Conns, but at most you’re probably looking at 1k if there’s something particularly desirable about it. It seems to be in great  shape. With a re-pad, you might be able to get around $600-700 for it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#29]
That's a slobber collector.   Don't worry it's still in there but you may have to rehydrate it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Look at the neck.

Soprano is straight (or minimally angled neck).

Alto has slight curve.

Tenor has recurve.

Baritone has coiled up neck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top