Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Think I found a solution for my issue without risking my job and jail time.  

Especially since I'm the facility maintenance manager, it's entirely fine to carry something like this openly on my belt.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Story time.
My first use of a blackjack on another person.

I was 19 and walking across the quad of the apartment complex I lived in at the time. It was well past dark and very shadowy from a couple of lights around the pool and quad The local bigmouth was out smoking weed and drinking with his crew. He and I had never directly crossed paths before, I knew he was a knockout artist who led with a right then stepped in for an uppercut, I had seen him do it twice and he didn't know me. Tonight he decided I was the one. He rolled up on me running his mouth.  I stepped into him, slipped his right setting up the left uppercut and thumped him on the outer thigh once, much harder than needed. He went down screaming and clutching his leg. I saw him a few times in the next couple of weeks and he was limping. That's when I decided to keep this thing around. Friends of friends said his thigh was black to the knee and swelled so bad he couldn't wear jeans for a few days after. He never wanted any part of me after that and I never told anyone I jacked him. Everyone assumed I had just punched him in the thigh.
View Quote

Awesome Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Baseball bats, barstools, and empty beer bottles are legal

So is the 4-cell maglite in my truck door pocket

So are coin purses
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are these "coin purses" legal in states where saps are illegal?

Baseball bats, barstools, and empty beer bottles are legal

So is the 4-cell maglite in my truck door pocket

So are coin purses

I thought I was the only one left with a maglite, and I’m only 34
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought I was the only one left with a maglite, and I’m only 34
View Quote

I don’t even know if the batteries are any good
I have surefires and streamlight  when I need light.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
40 year old LE collection

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
No Arfcom Love for the classic "Guard Rail Nut on a Length of Paracord" anymore?

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.swordsknivesanddaggers.com/self-defense/slapjacks/

Found this a few weeks back; I’m looking for an alternative to my ASP
View Quote

I witnessed an LEO dispatch a full grown doe with an ASP.

'Twas not pretty.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

'Twas not pretty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.swordsknivesanddaggers.com/self-defense/slapjacks/

Found this a few weeks back; I’m looking for an alternative to my ASP

'Twas not pretty.

ASP sucks.

If you want a strong Baton, get an RCB Peacekeeper. I've had a pair of those from back when they were made by Wilmoth.

I've bent an ASP with a single full power swing on a sandbag. The Wilmoth batons are still holding strong. They're significantly heavier, though, and they're designed to be tip/forward heavy (which is another reason they hit a lot harder).

The steel Bonowi is another strong baton, but more expensive and harder to find.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep
And you can always toss it onto a low roof or under a parked car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep
And you can always toss it onto a low roof or under a parked car.

This cat understands

Quoted:

Your recollection is not correct.

The leather split on impact. The weight did not "fly out." The entire device struck the individual with full force. The impact caused the leather to split. The weight remained fully attached to the piece of spring steel. While I was staring increduloulsly at the lead weight and spring steel protruding from the torn leather, the sap-ee gave me a big knuckle sandwich right in the kisser.

Those things do little to nothing in a one-on-one combat situation. By their very nature, they flex on impact, and provide almost zero follow-through force after impact.

I saw numerous other "young fellows" struck with those devices during my tenure. I never noticed any of them significantly influenced by those strikes. Now boots, knees, elbows, the occasional fist, and a good old-fashioned choke-out had a helluva effect.

At best, a sap offers some element of variety in the continuum of force where the operator of the sap is in a position of advantage.

I'm dividing by zero here. Unless it was user error, I've never heard or seen of such stuff. Not pointed at you; just saying the sap was the nonelectric TASER.

Quoted:

ASP sucks.

If you want a strong Baton, get an RCB Peacekeeper. I've had a pair of those from back when they were made by Wilmoth.

I've bent an ASP with a single full power swing on a sandbag. The Wilmoth batons are still holding strong. They're significantly heavier, though, and they're designed to be tip/forward heavy (which is another reason they hit a lot harder).

The steel Bonowi is another strong baton, but more expensive and harder to find.

Haven't heard of a bonowi, but truth on the rest. ASP was designed by and for risk adverse people. Here, you wanted a baton, use this one. lol

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Here's an example of the Texas definition of a "club" which is similar to many other states:
"Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument.".

So, a coin purse is not a club; because it was not specially designed as a striking instrument.  Just like my 32oz double-walled steel thermos in a reusable grocery bag wasn't designed as a striking instrument.  However, both will do OK in that role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's an example of the Texas definition of a "club" which is similar to many other states:
"Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument.".

So, a coin purse is not a club; because it was not specially designed as a striking instrument.  Just like my 32oz double-walled steel thermos in a reusable grocery bag wasn't designed as a striking instrument.  However, both will do OK in that role.

Tennessee's read similar. It's weird because, no baton maker would ever say it was designed to inflict serious bodily injury or death. Nor any of the sap makers I knew of.

Quoted:

With that logic, if a company started selling leather storage pouches for fishing weights or birdshot and marketing them as such, would they be considered as not being Saps ?

Dunno. Are you in the habit of carrying fishing accoutrements? Bird stuff? Most reasonable people carry change. Some would like to do it in a more stylish manner. (shrugs) buy a better attorney is all I can say
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tennessee's read similar. It's weird because, no baton maker would ever say it was designed to inflict serious bodily injury or death. Nor any of the sap makers I knew of.

Dunno. Are you in the habit of carrying fishing accoutrements? Bird stuff? Most reasonable people carry change. Some would like to do it in a more stylish manner. (shrugs) buy a better attorney is all I can say
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

With that logic, if a company started selling leather storage pouches for fishing weights or birdshot and marketing them as such, would they be considered as not being Saps ?

I think a better ( prosecution ) attorney will have no problem convincing a jury that a coin purse is actually a weapon.

I would rather just get the ccw and carry a sap.

At the end of the day, you are gambling on the DA dropping the case or the jury finding you not guilty.

I bet there is not one single purse company making that kind of purse. And all the companies that do, make saps too.

Ok then.......
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
What are the two on the left?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
"L.A. Confidential" - Bloody Christmas HD
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly. Impact weapons (outside of deadly force) are supposed to be to big meaty pain compliance body parts. Smacking faces, heads, necks, genitals, will get you in a world of legal hurt unless you are already good to shoot the person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saps and blackjacks will break a jaw like nothing. A skull shot will kill or retardify someone.

Legs, hands, arms and shoulders ate the best targets if you don't want to kill someone.

Exactly. Impact weapons (outside of deadly force) are supposed to be to big meaty pain compliance body parts. Smacking faces, heads, necks, genitals, will get you in a world of legal hurt unless you are already good to shoot the person.

Hitting a person in any place with an impact weapon will earn you a felony assault charge unless you're a cop or otherwise justified in using deadly force. I can't think of a single state where that isn't the case.

That being said, saps and other types of blackjacks/batons are great for use as backup weapons to CCWers. I prefer a good dagger, though. I can conceal a dagger but not a sap, here in Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hitting a person in any place with an impact weapon will earn you a felony assault charge unless you're a cop or otherwise justified in using deadly force. I can't think of a single state where that isn't the case.

That being said, saps and other types of blackjacks/batons are great for use as backup weapons to CCWers. I prefer a good dagger, though. I can conceal a dagger but not a sap, here in Ohio.
View Quote

Hmm I’m going to consider the source on this comment
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Face book group.
Alot of makers on here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/344419813172365/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saps and blackjacks will break a jaw like nothing. A skull shot will kill or retardify someone.

Legs, hands, arms and shoulders ate the best targets if you don't want to kill someone.

If you want to stop a guy but not shoot him or stab him up, a sap, or hose section filled with sand or shot is a great tool. I've worked out a few guys with various weapons and a sap or jack will do the job and not kill or scar a guy up if you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking at some Boston Leather saps, whats the preferred lanyard design?

Loop:

Or side strap:
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider anything I've said in the past all you want, but here's Texas law on deadly weapons, which defines clubs. I'd imagine a lawyer would tell you a sap is a deadly weapon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I made some interesting leather "parking change" holders just for something to do:

1.  A round pouch about the size of a tennis ball that has "parking change" stamped on both sides and it hangs from about 12" of braided para chord.  Fill it with coins and it has a hell of an impact.

2.  A 12" long by 2" wide "parking change" pouch that allows me to stack about $20 worth of quarters slanted on an angle so it is flexible.  It has "parking change" stamped on both sides.  Imagine a stack of quarters that is then pushed over sideways so they are laying like a bunch of dominoes...those are inside the "change holder".

The last one I made wasn't nearly as "elegant" as the first two.  I turned leather inside out and sewed a 14" long X 1.25" wide leather pouch with dental floss.  After sewing it, I turned it back smooth side out.  I put a .25" inch wound round spring inside then filled it with really fine lead shot.  There is no mistaking it's intent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you plan on living in a concrete sailboat and being a bouncer at a local bar in the Keys by chance?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I made some interesting leather "parking change" holders just for something to do:

1.  A round pouch about the size of a tennis ball that has "parking change" stamped on both sides and it hangs from about 12" of braided para chord.  Fill it with coins and it has a hell of an impact.

2.  A 12" long by 2" wide "parking change" pouch that allows me to stack about $20 worth of quarters slanted on an angle so it is flexible.  It has "parking change" stamped on both sides.  Imagine a stack of quarters that is then pushed over sideways so they are laying like a bunch of dominoes...those are inside the "change holder".

The last one I made wasn't nearly as "elegant" as the first two.  I turned leather inside out and sewed a 14" long X 1.25" wide leather pouch with dental floss.  After sewing it, I turned it back smooth side out.  I put a .25" inch wound round spring inside then filled it with really fine lead shot.  There is no mistaking it's intent.
View Quote
pics of #2?

how does it close?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you plan on living in a concrete sailboat and being a bouncer at a local bar in the Keys by chance?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]

This guy treated several people poorly…..tons of online proof.  One almost filed a police report as the owner was sending images of the guys wife and children back to him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you want to stop a guy but not shoot him or stab him up, a sap, or hose section filled with sand or shot is a great tool. I've worked out a few guys with various weapons and a sap or jack will do the job and not kill or scar a guy up if you know what you're doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you know what you're doing, then yes, you won't kill or scar a guy with a blackjack or a sap.

The legal reality is this: non-LEOs are expected to use the minimum force that is necessary to repel or end an unlawful attack upon their person, and this "minimum force" can vary widely. LEOs get to use force that may be unnecessary but considered reasonable under the context because it's their job to confront and apprehend dangerous persons. Many LEOs are trained and certified to use impact weapons.

In a just world, punching would be enough to deploy a sap, because punching is wholly capable of causing death or serious injury and should therefore be considered deadly force, but the legal system doesn't see it that way. You might be able to get away with using a sap if you get punched in the face repeatedly, it just depends.

ETA: also, in a just world, there would be laws in place to clarify that arm and leg strikes with an impact weapon wouldn't be deadly force in the context of self-defense. Reality is often disappointing. There's also been some cases I've read about non-LEOs charged with felony assault for using tasers or pepper spray. Obviously bullshit cases, but the legal system is a fickle thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I tried to purchase one, after two or three emails D3 stopped responding, after I tried confirming color and asking where to send the check. It was the tail end of the pandemic so I figured it wasn’t meant to be. I went ahead and bought a few Boston Leathers instead…
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This guy treated several people poorly ..tons of online proof.  One almost filed a police report as the owner was sending images of the guys wife and children back to him.
View Quote

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/beware-foster-impact-devices-blackjacks.1599793/
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do I apply?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]

I’ve dealt with Scott and todd Foster dozens and dozens of times.  They are always super cool.  Always.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Am I to understand that a hobbyist with a side business doesn’t respond immediately or something? I’m not reading 5 pages of fudds ashing pall malls into their hungry man dinners while they kick their dogs
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What are the two on the left?
View Quote

BUCHEIMER#7980

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Am I to understand that a hobbyist with a side business doesn't respond immediately or something? I'm not reading 5 pages of fudds ashing pall malls into their hungry man dinners while they kick their dogs
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Am I to understand that a hobbyist with a side business doesn’t respond immediately or something? I’m not reading 5 pages of fudds ashing pall malls into their hungry man dinners while they kick their dogs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This guy treated several people poorly…..tons of online proof.  One almost filed a police report as the owner was sending images of the guys wife and children back to him.
View Quote

The foster brothers have always been GTG with me.... they are busy and you have to be patient but the jacks are tier 1
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The foster brothers have always been GTG with me.... they are busy and you have to be patient but the jacks are tier 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Just be respectful and patient.  Don’t bug them.  They are HOUNDED 24/7.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven't read the entire thread.
Foster's is apparently great but almost unobtainium.
I have some from Wyatt Derr on Facebook. They are nice.
Edit : I think He also makes the change purse type.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I haven't read the entire thread.
Foster's is apparently great but almost unobtainium.
I have some from Wyatt Derr on Facebook. They are nice.

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Oh, I agree. Those saps look great, especially the one on the right.

Nice knives, too... A good karambit is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#38]
The one on the right is unsprung but has a good "stiff flex" if that makes sense.
A karambit is hard to beat. A great weapon retention tool.

Edit: A little off topic, that Emerson on the left is my daily carry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://ddwhips.wordpress.com/standard-blackjack-design-gallery/

anyone deal with ddwips?  Some of his stuff looks pretty cool.
View Quote

These are collection pieces and not intended for traditional use. They may not be carried or used under any circumstances

Is this a "not selling weapons" defense of some sort ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

These are collection pieces and not intended for traditional use. They may not be carried or used under any circumstances

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.  As a side note, I hate posting on an iPad.  Somehow I nuked that post.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have purchased two from ddwhips. Good communication and solid product.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some of the shit you guys want to carry around.  
View Quote

So, people looking for options other than shooting and information on how to correctly use them is funny??

Why are you here?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So, people looking for options other than shooting and information on how to correctly use them is funny??

Why are you here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you here?

I'm only here for the weed threads, and to bash Trump,?? and for the data mining threads.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread has inspired me. I had a bizarre altercation at a light rail station the other day. It was at our airport terminal station which doesn't normally attract human excrement. But not on this day. I was flying international so I couldn't carry. Had this drugged out lookin, schizophrenic black dude hanging out in an enclosed, heated area. It's a decently sized area but he made it feel small as he orbited around it, cursing at the air, eyeballing everyone, laughing menacingly. Finally, he took interest in me. Came up to about 24" from my face, told me he was gonna beat my ass and shoot me while punching his open hand with his fist, eyes absolutely locked on me. I had been avoiding eye contact until he came up to me. Then I was focused on him. I told him he'd better get the fuck away from me. He began another, more furious orbit around the room, cursing at the air and saying what he was gonna do to me. I noticed that everyone (about a dozen) in the room had eyes locked on the floor or their phones trying to not attract his attention. But I couldn't keep my eyes off him now, watching his hands to see if he pulled a weapon. I stepped outside to increase distance and began to call 911. This infuriated him further saying "I keel cops, mothafucka! I keel cops ah day!" I give the dispatcher his description and our location as the train pulls in. I watched him get on and I deliberately got into a different car just as the doors are closing. Then I realized our two cars are connected! Fuck! Now his pacing the full length of the two cars, violently swearing and eye fucking me. 911 said they'd keep an eye out for him. Great...
I get off at the next station feeling bare-assed naked without a good weapon. When I'm home I'm armed all the time. Usually, even in my home. When I fly domestic I'm armed too. But I can't do it for 99% of international flying. Inside airport security is never an issue anyway. But that short ride on the light rail for international flying has been a chink in my armor. Again, usually the stations at the airport are trouble free. But wouldn't you know that the one time I couldn't be armed, however brief, is the time that a schizo decides he wants to murder me.

Then this thread comes up. I had an idea. I remembered a custom paracord handle I'd had made once for a backpack that I used to fly with. The old one tore in half so this one was extra tough. I put a padlock on that baby and, ta-da, I have a weapon that when disassembled, I believe I can take through security anywhere. It weighs 13.6oz in total.

I gotta get a different padlock, of course. Don't want to crush somebody with a gov issued lock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If people understand how to use saps and the legal implications of using a sap in self-defense, then why should they not carry a sap? There may be instances you need to use deadly force but a gun may not be the best option as opposed to an impact weapon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you know what you're doing, then yes, you won't kill or scar a guy with a blackjack or a sap.

The legal reality is this: non-LEOs are expected to use the minimum force that is necessary to repel or end an unlawful attack upon their person, and this "minimum force" can vary widely. LEOs get to use force that may be unnecessary but considered reasonable under the context because it's their job to confront and apprehend dangerous persons. Many LEOs are trained and certified to use impact weapons.

In a just world, punching would be enough to deploy a sap, because punching is wholly capable of causing death or serious injury and should therefore be considered deadly force, but the legal system doesn't see it that way. You might be able to get away with using a sap if you get punched in the face repeatedly, it just depends.

ETA: also, in a just world, there would be laws in place to clarify that arm and leg strikes with an impact weapon wouldn't be deadly force in the context of self-defense. Reality is often disappointing. There's also been some cases I've read about non-LEOs charged with felony assault for using tasers or pepper spray. Obviously bullshit cases, but the legal system is a fickle thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the instances that saps have been used, it's in the unwritten social contract to not involve Jonathan Lawrence. I've NEVER involved law enforcement in hundreds of physical interactions, some of which led to ER visits for me nor have the other participants.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Legal in Texas. Move to a free State?

Not sure how realistic it is, but I love this scene with Nick Nolte using a SAP on some Feds.
Mulholland Falls (1996) - This Is My Town Scene

View Quote

The cops had a Desert waterbag on the grill when they went to the bomb site.
Very period correct.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#50]
anyone own the desantis city slicker?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016613717

any feedback on it?

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top