Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2024 12:47:33 PM EDT
These problems would all go away if we had public caning.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/schoolyard-field-fights-punishable-felony-under-proposed-bill-democrat-run-state

Students and adults caught fighting on public school grounds in Washington state, including during youth sports games, could be charged with felonies under new legislation introduced in the state's House of Representatives.

"I introduced House Bill 2079 because I have friend, who many years ago was assaulted by a wrestler after refereeing a match. He was knocked unconscious and ended up with a permanent disability. No charges were filed. Each year, we are seeing more of these incidents. Referees and coaches are being verbally and sometimes physically assaulted," Republican state Rep. Suzanne Schmidt told Fox News Digital of her bill.

Under House Bill 2079, students and adults who fight on school grounds could face a class C felony charge as opposed to a gross misdemeanor. Students found fighting on school grounds could also face emergency removal from the school under the bill, while non-students found fighting on school property could be barred from the property for one year, The Everett Herald reported.

"Competition is good and sports are supposed to be fun. However, there is no need for intimidating, assaulting or threatening our sports officials, coaches or players," Schmidt told Fox News Digital.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If her friend was assaulted by a wrestler that knocked him unconscious, then it’s the fault of the police and/or prosecutor’s office for not charging the guy who did it.  It sounds like it definitely merited an assault charge at least, but no, there ought to be a law, for everything.  Oh well, we live in an increasingly lawless society.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no current WA laws that cover assault/battery and school admin can’t suspend/expel/trespass people?

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Proposed law is Racist.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Because the police that failed to arrest under existing assault/battery laws and the DA that failed to prosecute crimes under existing laws are going to suddenly  start doing their job if a new law is passed.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The only felony I'd love to see would be a "third man in" law. Two guys want to beat the snot out of each other? Present laws apply. One of the combatants has a friend join in to change the odds? Buh bye! That extra guy needs removed for a few years.

Ganging up should be treated like attempted murder. Michigan has a law called "assault with intent to do great bodily harm/less than murder." It's a ten year felony. Frankly, it wouldn't take much to change the language of that law to include multiple assailants. It already lists strangulation.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-84

Back in my cabbie days I had a regular fare who ended up in prison over this charge. He was a drug dealer who scalped a guy with a claw hammer. He was a gigantic dude named "Tiny", and ended up doing seven out of the ten years. Never get into debt with your dealer. They're not turning you over to collections.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't this redundant?

And also, some schools around here are trying to form their own police force to handle things internally and not let the reality of what happens out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Schoolyard and sports fights are already crimes, sometimes they are felonies.

Now, the idea that some people have that you can commit an assault as long it’s during a sporting event and it’s somehow not a crime is bullshit, but you don’t need a new law.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The net result will be more douchebags who run their mouths because they never get that pivotal ass-kicking that teaches them boundaries.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in my day coach would say "Winner runs a lap, loser goes to the Principals office"
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe her story
View Quote

I don't either, seems fishy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The net result will be more douchebags who run their mouths because they never get that pivotal ass-kicking that teaches them boundaries.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Locally to me. Fights at school are handled the same as any public fight; it gets turned over to the City Police to do as they see fit. Generally, someone gets to have the one-on-one with the Judge.

The school administrators are not involved.  No bleeding heart sob stories by liberal school teachers on how Jr has had a tough life.

The result is the schools seldom have fights.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I do agree we need less laws not more, I’m not sure I really care about this one. Seems like if you keep your hands off other people then it’s no worry.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
In about 5 years...there won't be enough players for all the sports
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
a state full of 2nd grade felons.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
If true then this is terrible for so many different reasons.

In middle school I had a big problem with cry bullies. Kids who would provoke others and when you would pop them they would go running, crying to the nearest authority figure.

Oh sure, there's no way that a law like this would be abused.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
How about fights at kids hockey games???
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#22]

The establishment wants to make EVERYTHING a felony.  I wouldn't be surprised if an unpaid parking ticket becomes a felony.  
Felons somehow loose their 2nd Amendment rights--the one right that cannot be infringed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Oddly I was just talking about this with friends from other areas of the country. WA is apparently fucking weird about school fights. I never saw a single school fight K-12 in Tacoma public schools. Western PA guy couldn’t believe it.

Of course with WA passive aggression we just skipped over shoving matches to straight up murder.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These problems would all go away if we had public caning.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/schoolyard-field-fights-punishable-felony-under-proposed-bill-democrat-run-state

Students and adults caught fighting on public school grounds in Washington state, including during youth sports games, could be charged with felonies under new legislation introduced in the state's House of Representatives.

"I introduced House Bill 2079 because I have friend, who many years ago was assaulted by a wrestler after refereeing a match. He was knocked unconscious and ended up with a permanent disability. No charges were filed. Each year, we are seeing more of these incidents. Referees and coaches are being verbally and sometimes physically assaulted," Republican state Rep. Suzanne Schmidt told Fox News Digital of her bill.

Under House Bill 2079, students and adults who fight on school grounds could face a class C felony charge as opposed to a gross misdemeanor. Students found fighting on school grounds could also face emergency removal from the school under the bill, while non-students found fighting on school property could be barred from the property for one year, The Everett Herald reported.

"Competition is good and sports are supposed to be fun. However, there is no need for intimidating, assaulting or threatening our sports officials, coaches or players," Schmidt told Fox News Digital.
View Quote

So it sounds like her friend didn't insist on pressing charges. That's her friend's own damn fault. A magic law wouldn't solve this problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oddly I was just talking about this with friends from other areas of the country. WA is apparently fucking weird about school fights. I never saw a single school fight K-12 in Tacoma public schools. Western PA guy couldn’t believe it.

Of course with WA passive aggression we just skipped over shoving matches to straight up murder.
View Quote

I got in plenty of fights in elementary and middle school - the usual throw a few punches, end up tussling on the ground, things got settled and we moved on. Nobody ever got suspended or expelled over it. Then I got to junior high and it skipped straight to seeing gangs of hispanic teens (who I didn't know, they didn't socialize with anyone else) literally beating the shit out of each other just off school grounds. I mean ripping each others shirts off and stomping on each other as they were down level of fights. Then by high school if you got in any fight at all, even if you weren't the one that started it, you'd get suspended for a week.

Weird transition.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
This is Washington, so that means it will only be selectively enforced.  To qualify for selection, the offender must be white.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
People have been losing their cool a lot more since covid. These situations with refs is nothing new but probably gotten a lot worse. Just up the penalties for assault in general. No need to single out this situation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
People have been losing their cool a lot more since covid. These situations with refs is nothing new but probably gotten a lot worse. Just up the penalties for assault in general. No need to single out this situation.
View Quote

I have been in more close calls as far as fights go than I ever have in my adult life since 2020. People are on thin ice, for various reasons I'd assume, but there is anger and violence under the surface for many people more than I ever remember.

Even family members trying to start fist fights at thanksgiving. People who were previously cool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I understand her motivation, but she should realize that not everyone is held to the same standard.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is Washington, so that means it will only be selectively enforced.  To qualify for selection, the offender must be white.
View Quote

Exactly.  If it becomes law, it will be very selectively enforced.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#31]
We need more schoolyard fisticuffs, not fewer.

I'm not talking about gang-up beatings... but if a bully is pushing around someone and that someone punches him in the nose, it doesn't need to go to the cops AT ALL.

If you start it, you get suspended from school, if you defend yourself you don't. No cops involved. That's the way it was when I was in high school.

Kids are figuring out social hierarchies and such, I think that involving the law in everything is CAUSING a lot of the school violence. A quiet, smart kid knows that if he fights back he's gonna get assault charges and it could ruin his college chances, his future, etc... so he lets it build up until he can't take it anymore, and then he makes EVERYONE pay.

We got in 1 on 1 fights in high school, usually there was a long gradual buildup but after the fight everyone was cool and would even be friendly after the pecking order was established.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are no current WA laws that cover assault/battery and school admin can’t suspend/expel/trespass people?

View Quote

There are plenty of laws if you want to press charges, and yes they can and do. Ok they do in eastern Washington.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got in plenty of fights in elementary and middle school - the usual throw a few punches, end up tussling on the ground, things got settled and we moved on. Nobody ever got suspended or expelled over it. Then I got to junior high and it skipped straight to seeing gangs of hispanic teens (who I didn't know, they didn't socialize with anyone else) literally beating the shit out of each other just off school grounds. I mean ripping each others shirts off and stomping on each other as they were down level of fights. Then by high school if you got in any fight at all, even if you weren't the one that started it, you'd get suspended for a week.

Weird transition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird transition.

You must be younger than me since I don’t think there were many Latinos yet in the 80s/90s.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I feel safer already.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You must be younger than me since I don’t think there were many Latinos yet in the 80s/90s.
View Quote

40 and grew up in Bremerton

Most of them were from transient Navy families that shifted back and forth between Bremerton and San Diego.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Locally to me. Fights at school are handled the same as any public fight; it gets turned over to the City Police to do as they see fit. Generally, someone gets to have the one-on-one with the Judge.

The school administrators are not involved.  No bleeding heart sob stories by liberal school teachers on how Jr has had a tough life.

The result is the schools seldom have fights.
View Quote

It really depends on the area of Washington, on the wet side who knows, but over here I have seen school administration call the police, give a statement have them trespassed if not already, press for any and all charges they can. Wanna fight take it off public property.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I can’t wait to hear the liberals complaints (but not the explanations why) this law is racist.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most of them were from transient Navy families that shifted back and forth between Bremerton and San Diego.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same timeframe, but this was South Tacoma, so it was all white kids except for the Cambodian boat people and Lewis/McChord Chamorros/Filipinos/half-Koreans.

I did see a kid get full on roundhouse kicked in the head, but they were buddies and the kickee just wanted to see how well he would tolerate it. As it turned out, he tolerated it pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#39]
why don't they pass a law that requires people to follow existing laws? Surely there exists the magic wording that everyone will obey?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top