Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2024 11:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon]
For the last 4-5 years I’ve been putting together my Blood Diamond build. It started as a close enough clone, but I wanted to make it as close to the prop gun as I could. There’s still a few things that I need to do, but I wanted to do a quick write up incase anyone has interest in doing one also. Ignore the drywall patch sheet, it was the closest thing I had available to set it on.

Parts used
-Colt A2 upper, the pictured upper was replaced
-Brownells retro 12.7 barrel cut to 10.3” with non F FSB with bayonet lug (.625 gas journal), sling swivel removed and triangular handguard retainer installed
-Retro Rifles long version of a 607 moderator, needed tooling marks sanded down
-Surefire 660, M14 mount filed/sanded down to fit perfectly inside FSB
-A2 fiberglass rifle handguards cut and JB welded to carbine length, easier than it sounds.
-Aimpoint Comp M with correct Trijicon TX14 ring (from Tripower)
-late 90s/early 2000s US Tactical System carry handle weaver mount, will replace with B Square
-Bushmaster aluminum CAR stock with proprietary size receiver extension
-(Not pictured) replica OD Nylon M16 web sling configured into a shoulder loop, attached to the stock only

I still need to SBR a A1 lower, I have a pistol lower that I can try it out on until then. I’m holding off on painting it until it’s 100% completed. I spent way too much time studying this rifle and way too much money on the parts necessary. With H&R offering their TIA upper I’m not sure I’d want to do this build again, it was as frustrating as it was fun. Hope this helps anyone wanting to take on this project, feel free to pm me if you need any help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be in my bunk.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Improper rear sight drum detent. So it’s a pretty close clone
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I love clone builds. Very nice OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
Improper rear sight drum detent. So it’s a pretty close clone
View Quote

Hahaha. I don’t need any more help, I think I leveled up enough on the spectrum already. It is really buggy me already that it’s not a Colt upper, I’ve even though about cutting down a 20” A2 barrel as that’s what was used.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool!  Looks good.  Is the B Square mount known to be the correct one?  Or might they have used the Aimpoint version?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Nice brew
View Quote
@Keekleberrys

Magic
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:04:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon] [#9]
Originally Posted By blackscribe:
Cool!  Looks good.  Is the B Square mount known to be the correct one?  Or might they have used the Aimpoint version?
View Quote

From what I’ve been able to find online the B Square is the correct mount. I’ve not had any luck finding one either. The mount I have seems like its a close copy of the ARMS #2 mount, I have the picatinny version.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
You still gotta paint it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:11:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon] [#12]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:
You still gotta paint it.
View Quote

Ya ya. I’m waiting for the lower before I paint it. I’m having a 80% A1 lower custom engraved with the correct M16A2 roll marks. I’m playing it safe and having replica also engraved on top of the lower similar to the Troy XM177. I’ll have the sbr engraving either inside the mag well or trigger housing.

Here’s one of the Guatemalan M16A2 used in Black Hawk Down and later Blood Diamond.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By blackscribe:
View Quote

It’s a B square.  The BD gun is the same prop as the Gordon rifle, with different muzzle device, paint and light.

B square compared to ARMS mount:

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the comparison pictures. I’ve been tempted several times to switch it over to a Gordon build, but decided I want to do a historically accurate clone of one someday instead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Which A2 upper are you using?  I've got a grey colt A2 upper thats sitting in a drawer because I don't have any grey lowers and the contrast drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:52:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon] [#16]
I’m honestly not sure who made my upper. It came off of a pawnshop 20” Hbar A2. The lower was bushmaster, but there’s no marks on either the upper or barrel besides 5.56. Even the rear sight drum isn’t marked 8/3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By reccerecon:
I’m honestly not sure who made my upper. It came off of a pawnshop 20” Hbar A2. The lower was bushmaster, but there’s no marks on either the upper or barrel besides 5.56. Even the rear sight drum isn’t marked 8/3.
View Quote

Pm if you don't want to clog up your post, but is it A2 feed ramps or m4?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Mugabe was a economic genius, he turned every citizen of Zimbabwe into a trillionaire overnight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:

Pm if you don't want to clog up your post, but is it A2 feed ramps or m4?
View Quote

Pm sent
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By reccerecon:

Pm sent
View Quote

Replied, let me know if you didn't get it.  Still figuring it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Got your pm and replied.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:03:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bomb-Tech] [#22]
Looks good to me… funny thing is… I just bought this movie tonight because I couldn’t find it streaming for free anywhere.

Kinda weird seeing this pop up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice work. I've been assembling parts for my own build for about 3 years. Been having a tough time finding a 30mm Aimpoint vertical split ring mount. That's the last piece I need, minus a more accurate lower.

10.5" for the barrel is probably too long. In the movie screencaps, it looks like the muzzle device is closer to the FSB, so 10.3" might be more accurate.

There's also a difference of opinion between 0.625" and 0.75" journals, since it looks fatter past the FSB, but the movie gun was able to clamp the light mount more than possible on a 0.75" journal. One theory I have is that they used a 0.75" journaled barrel, which makes sense for an export M16A2, and they turned down the spot between the legs of the FSB to be able to fit the clamping mount.

I could be wrong, but I've read the stock was a commercial polymer unit from Bushmaster, but I can't find the source material. Do you know for certain it was aluminum? In the Reload article, the hero rifle stock does have mold marks like a polymer stock, but it could have been swapped out.

I wish someone made a muzzle device without wrench flats like in the movie
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By _LandCruiser_:
Nice work. I've been assembling parts for my own build for about 3 years. Been having a tough time finding a 30mm Aimpoint vertical split ring mount. That's the last piece I need, minus a more accurate lower.

10.5" for the barrel is probably too long. In the movie screencaps, it looks like the muzzle device is closer to the FSB, so 10.3" might be more accurate.

There's also a difference of opinion between 0.625" and 0.75" journals, since it looks fatter past the FSB, but the movie gun was able to clamp the light mount more than possible on a 0.75" journal. One theory I have is that they used a 0.75" journaled barrel, which makes sense for an export M16A2, and they turned down the spot between the legs of the FSB to be able to fit the clamping mount.

I could be wrong, but I've read the stock was a commercial polymer unit from Bushmaster, but I can't find the source material. Do you know for certain it was aluminum? In the Reload article, the hero rifle stock does have mold marks like a polymer stock, but it could have been swapped out.

I wish someone made a muzzle device without wrench flats like in the movie
View Quote

Thank you. I’ve seen pictures of your build and it is an amazing piece of work. I bought my ring from a member here awhile ago and it was probably the easiest to find part at the time. I had my barrel to be cut at 10 3/8”, I guess I fat fingered the 5 lol. I originally tried a .75” barrel and what lead me to use the .625” was the Surefire M14 clamp wouldn’t fit under the gas tube on the .75”, a cheap thin Amazon clamp would however . That and it didn’t look right next to the muzzle device wrench flats. I don’t have access to an A2 barrel to measure the diameter where it would have been cut. I also read about bushmaster stocks being used, but I don’t remember it saying polymer, that’s interesting. I went with aluminum based off of the stock profile, but I also have a 90s polymer CAR stock that I believe was molded from an aluminum stock. The movie gun could very well have used polymer, I’m going to have to look more into this. The muzzle device used has been driving me nuts trying to identify. I’m thinking it might have been a modified slip over type with the grenade ring and flash ports cut off, but I have no way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#25]
I wonder what is the backstory on how and why that barrel and handguard came to be. If it was originally an A2 rifle barrel it would essentially be like an Israeli Menusar barrel, just cut down to a shorter length.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I wonder what is the backstory on how and why that barrel and handguard came to be. If it was originally an A2 rifle barrel it would essentially be like an Israeli Menusar barrel, just cut down to a shorter length.
View Quote

It doesn’t make sense to me either how it would be cheaper or easier to go through all the extra work to make carbines rather than swapping barrels and handguards. Maybe they charged by the hour lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top