Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2024 9:12:34 PM EDT
Looking for a roof rack for a "naked" roof. I've been hearing a lot of folks actually recommending SeaSucker. Thry attach with suction cups, and can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle. They don't damage the paint and don't require a strap inside tge vehicle.

Looking for something to attach a roof top carrier for light cargo on road trips. Any first hand reviews or feedback? I want something decent, but don't want to drill or damage the car. Being truly universal is the cherry on top.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/crossbars-and-accessories/products/monkey-bars-2020-edition
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I used two 4.5" versions to mount a ~20" computer monitor inside a fiberglass camper trailer.

It fell off within a couple days. Probably would have worked better to pump and refresh the vacuum occasionally but it was not confidence inspiring to mount stuff on the outside of vehicles on the freeway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Eeech...not confidence inspiring. I mean, sure, it'll need to be pumped from time to time, but I'd figure it'd last longer than that between pumps. I like to take two week road trips every now and then; would be nice to not have to re-pump every day.

I'm also open to suggestions on other models/styles. Will primarily be used on a Honda Civic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
To be fair fiberglass/gelcoats are typically microscopically porous even when finished to very high quality.

This might cause difficulty holding vacuum and would definitely explain my result, although I do have a suction cup paper towel holder that has never fallen off.

Perhaps others will report that they've had better luck using these on painted vehicle surface. Tag for more opinions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I would go for a known like thule
https://www.rackwarehouse.com/products/thule-evo-clamp-rack/vehicle/honda/civic/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsuSzBhCLARIsAIcdLm5So4S0y_qCe9udQXqwU8XhNEubvaMsgmMjyLDZiGAqWYsZ1TLeFHQaAiXXEALw_wcB

mounts to the door frame area and presses on the roof with rubber pads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#5]
I've used the sea sucker successfully for my MTB on a mustang GT roof. It works. The pistons used to create the vacuum have red markers on them that you can monitor between trips. When the temps change the vacuum can be reduced, a couple extra pumps and you're gtg.

I had it on the interstate at 75MPH, no issues.

Also worth mentioning these were installed uninstalled per use. I never kept them on the car when not transporting my MTB to/from the trail head.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
I think I would go for a known like thule
https://www.rackwarehouse.com/products/thule-evo-clamp-rack/vehicle/honda/civic/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsuSzBhCLARIsAIcdLm5So4S0y_qCe9udQXqwU8XhNEubvaMsgmMjyLDZiGAqWYsZ1TLeFHQaAiXXEALw_wcB

mounts to the door frame area and presses on the roof with rubber pads.
View Quote

But does it scratch up the door frame? I don't need the rails to be permanently mounted; probably prefer that they are not.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:
I've used the sea sucker successfully for my MTB on a mustang GT roof. It works. The pistons used to create the vacuum have red markers on them that you can monitor between trips. When the temps change the vacuum can be reduced, a couple extra pumps and you're gtg.

I had it on the interstate at 75MPH, no issues.

Also worth mentioning these were installed uninstalled per use. I never kept them on the car when not transporting my MTB to/from the trail head.
View Quote

I have no plan on keeping them mounted. I have an older Sears X-Cargo roof carrier that I'd like to use from time to time. It'll be removed when not in use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have those specifically myself, but most of the stuff that touches metal to metal generally has something on it or isn't sharp.
even the metal clamps on rails don't leave marks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a SeaSucker mount for over a year. Road bikes, and mountain bikes usually two mounted up. Put many freeway miles on driving around the valley for rides.

Never once did I lose a bike, or even have one of the pucks come loose. And I drive like an asshole most of the time.

They're good stuff. If you want it, get it.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Still on the fence on this one. Looks like folks that have them, like them.

One problem/issue I noted is that my rooftop carrier is designed for flat bars. The SeaSucker uses round crossbars. I could probably fab up some sort of adapter or bracket, but a factory made option would be preferred. I found a similar mount (TreeFrog) with flat crossbars, but the weight rating is significantly lower (and does not specifically state roof boxes; it's mainly for bikes and skis).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top