Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:27:15 AM EDT
I realize that computers are pretty much just a shit ton of electrons moving back and forth, but tech like this still blows my mind. Cool animations as well.

Seagate | "Just" a Hard Drive
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad they always seem to fail.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mancow:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an IT professional, but of the ~15 hard drives I've had in and out of PCs in my ~17 years of home personal computing, I've had two hard drive failures, both Seagate. Not a big dataset, but it's enough to keep me going with WD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
I'm not an IT professional, but of the ~15 hard drives I've had in and out of PCs in my ~17 years of home personal computing, I've had two hard drive failures, both Seagate. Not a big dataset, but it's enough to keep me going with WD.
View Quote

No ocular scientists or peer reviewed studies

You should just ignore your plain observations, you pleb
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

and are loud as fuck, every seagate drive I have owned is loud. I have a bunch of WD black drives that are very quiet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:

and are loud as fuck, every seagate drive I have owned is loud.
View Quote

That's how you know it's thinking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Fly] [#7]
Professional server admin here.  There's only 3 magnetic drive manufacturers left - Seagate, WD, and Toshiba.  And they all make good model drives, and shitty model drives.

Usually cheap consumer grade drivers tend to be a lot shittier, and enterprise grade drives generally better.  But you never really know until you have a large batch of a certain model, and run them for 3-5 years.  Anecdotal one-off reports are useless when it comes to considering drive reliability -  "my Garbagemaster 87TB drive took a shit yesterday, fuck them and the horse they rode on" doesn't tell anyone anything useful.

Backblaze (large cloud storage company) periodically publishes their internal studies of what drives have failed on them.  And since they own more drives than damn near anyone, its actually gives you an idea of what's crap and what's not.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2023/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Brutal thread is brutal.

What happens inside my laptops, gaming PC's, phone, etc. is nothing short of magical science fiction. It's literally incredible. A century ago, we were still amazed by internal combustion engines. We were just getting our bearings in the sky with primitive flight. Ticker-tape and telephones were new tech.

I've had a lot of computers over my more than half-century of life. Built some of them from parts. I have a degree in electronics. All of this is still magical to me. Awe-inspiring even, despite a failure rate that might make me back up shit I care about on other drives of some type. But, maybe that's perspective from having lived through it. Today's children are spoiled brats. Did your HD fail? Oh, snap...too bad you didn't back anything up. Lesson learned, hopefully?

Regardless of manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
Brutal thread is brutal.

What happens inside my laptops, gaming PC's, phone, etc. is nothing short of magical science fiction. It's literally incredible. A century ago, we were still amazed by internal combustion engines. We were just getting our bearings in the sky with primitive flight. Ticker-tape and telephones were new tech.

I've had a lot of computers over my more than half-century of life. Built some of them from parts. I have a degree in electronics. All of this is still magical to me. Awe-inspiring even, despite a failure rate that might make me back up shit I care about on other drives of some type. But, maybe that's perspective from having lived through it. Today's children are spoiled brats. Did your HD fail? Oh, snap...too bad you didn't back anything up. Lesson learned, hopefully?

View Quote
I like seagate. They have wolves on them, and wolves are cool!

Also they have 24tb drives now. That's a pretty good reason to like them, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Every Seagate hard drive I've ever had has failed catastrophically and was unrecoverable.

With the exception of a hard drive that I dropped six feet onto a tile floor while it was writing, I've never lost data from any other drive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By The_Fly:
Backblaze (large cloud storage company) periodically publishes their internal studies of what drives have failed on them.  And since they own more drives than damn near anyone, its actually gives you an idea of what's crap and what's not.

View Quote

The stats you linked show that WDC has a failure rate about a third as bad as the median.  With the exception of one specific model of Toshiba, Seagate leads the failure pack, with two of their drives having a one-in-seven chance of dying within a year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:47:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Professional server admin here.  There's only 3 magnetic drive manufacturers left - Seagate, WD, and Toshiba.  And they all make good model drives, and shitty model drives.

Usually cheap consumer grade drivers tend to be a lot shittier, and enterprise grade drives generally better.  But you never really know until you have a large batch of a certain model, and run them for 3-5 years.  Anecdotal one-off reports are useless when it comes to considering drive reliability -  "my Garbagemaster 87TB drive took a shit yesterday, fuck them and the horse they rode on" doesn't tell anyone anything useful.

I bought 3 of the same Seagate drive one time because they had good performance, size, and they were a reasonable price. I just happened to have the terrible luck of buying a model that had a notable defect in the drive's controller, and the defect caused all 3 drives to fail one after another after a few years. It was a widespread issue. I haven't actually bought a mechanical drive in a long time and I really need to replace the remaining mechanical drives I have.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Haven't had a mechanical drive on my PC in 10 plus years. Probably close to 15. My business PC has a NAS with some mechanical drives which work well for large storage at a slower speed than a SSD.

Interesting to see the tech they are still putting into mechanical drives.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I still miss the Hitachi Deskstar line. I've had a handful of those and was always very pleased with performance over anything else I tried. Never had one fail either.

When I worked at a computer shop all we had were Seagate that failed. For some reason the shop owner would only let.us.order Seagate to replace or upgrade any hard drive. Probably because it was repeat business.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

The Backblaze stats seem to back up the position that Seagate is crap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]
that was pretty cool.

I didn't know about the laser stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
The Backblaze stats seem to mirror my limited experience with the various spinning platter drive brands over 30 or so years of running computers.

The Hitachi and HGST drives I have never had fail. They end up being retired due to being too small or too slow but they have always been removed in working condition.
WD drives seem to be generally pretty stable. When they do start to go they seem to give ample warning as they start making noise. I assume it is the bearings going bad. While they aren't my first choice I don't have any real opposition to using them.

Seagate drives just plain suck. Every one of them I have owned has failed. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. When they did fail, it was catastrophically. They just stopped working, no warning.
One minute they are: I'm working and doing my thing
The next minute: Fuck you. I'm dead!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#18]
SSD is the only option anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
View Quote

This is how I know you aren't a data horder.

I have two WD Red Pros and one Seagate Ironwolf NAS in my Synology right now.  The Seagate runs 5 degrees cooler than the WD drives. We'll see what fails first.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I recently had 10 of 15 Seagate Exos drives fail within 90 days across multiple machines at work.  Some were being tested while others were in production in RAID 10 arrays with important data on them. I had backups but it still blew my mind that I could have a 66% failure rate with any enterprise drive.

No more Seagate for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 98Redline:
The Backblaze stats seem to mirror my limited experience with the various spinning platter drive brands over 30 or so years of running computers.

The Hitachi and HGST drives I have never had fail. They end up being retired due to being too small or too slow but they have always been removed in working condition.
WD drives seem to be generally pretty stable. When they do start to go they seem to give ample warning as they start making noise. I assume it is the bearings going bad. While they aren't my first choice I don't have any real opposition to using them.

Seagate drives just plain suck. Every one of them I have owned has failed. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. When they did fail, it was catastrophically. They just stopped working, no warning.
One minute they are: I'm working and doing my thing
The next minute: Fuck you. I'm dead!
View Quote

I’ve had 3 HGST Ultrastar drives start getting reallocated sectors, however, that was after 6 years in a RAID 0 array in my surveillance PC averaging 180TB/yr being written to them so I’m fine with their lifespan.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Not with any sort of volume of data it isn’t unless you have unlimited resources.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]
"Plasmotic Transducer." Gonna have to remember that one.

Crazy to think about all the science, technology, and engineering that goes into these devices and they're able to sell them for the price they do. A gun, even an exquisite gun, is crude by comparison and yet cost vastly more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:19:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#24]
View Quote
At 4x 6x the price per TB, and stepwise costs of adding drive interfaces, no.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Samsung T7's.  Stack em cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I still miss the Hitachi Deskstar line. I've had a handful of those and was always very pleased with performance over anything else I tried. Never had one fail either.

When I worked at a computer shop all we had were Seagate that failed. For some reason the shop owner would only let.us.order Seagate to replace or upgrade any hard drive. Probably because it was repeat business.
View Quote

That was the first thing I thought, "at least it's not a Deathstar"

Dealt with a lot of failed 80GB Deathstars back in the mid 2000s in our fleet of Optiplexes
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm amazed any of it works at all. "Millions of lines of code" and we're not even out of the disk yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Same here. Two bad Seagate drives.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

View Quote
Really? Deathstars had a bit of a rep...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone else get an ASTRO's Playground vibe?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Lol, mechanical junk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Good to see nothing has changed and Seagate is still the one to avoid. Seems like that's been the case for a long time.

Still, if a drive doesn't die early, it seems to go on for a very long time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm the guy who swaps the drives.  I'm just a good soldier.  Tech is kind of out of hand with regards to the pace of innovation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Yes and no. It really comes down to how much storage space you need. A typical netbook user probably will never need space beyond on board SSD, and if they do want to do back ups of office work and cat pictures, SSD backup options are mature enough at this point that they don't necessarily have to consider an HDD solution (HOWEVER, if it's going to be long term cold storage, then they should regardless of how much space they need).

Once you need terabytes on terabytes of storage though, then HDDs are still king, and will be for the foreseeable future. We're now talking about single drives that can hold 24TBs. Even in a four or six bay NAS, that's a phenomenal amount of space that you just aren't going to be able to achieve with SSDs, and assuming it's fully saturated, read and write speeds will be decent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
Brutal thread is brutal.

View Quote

I forget what college textbook had this example in it, and it was decades ago, but the comparison they used for seeker head control on spinning iron disk drives was a 747 flying at cruise speed 1/100" off the ground, and mapping obstacles 1/200" off the ground.  

It really is incredible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top