Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 3:12:59 PM EDT
I've watch the first episode so far and it has potential.  It's also pretty violent and I'm ok with most of it but I don't like seeing kids get hurt and even the off screen murders of children and babies is hard for me.  I have not rewatched Game of Thrones for that reason.  

Does it get worse?  Is it worse, the same or less violent than game of thrones when it comes to kids?  

Does it get anti-Christian?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a great series.  Continue watching.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Good series and I don’t see it as anti-Christian at all. They touch on some political/religious conflict but it made sense within the story.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OHBuckeyes] [#3]
Less die in the show than the Bible.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on, gents.  I'll keep going!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Scenes from the first episode are important for certain characters to develop and are touched upon from time to time. Jesuits are involved with thier real world politics of the time.

It is a very well done series but is meant to be dark like the book.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a good show.
It's not anti Christian. More Catholics vs. Church of England.
And the japanese hated both.
Good show. I'm hoping for a season 2.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FreeXP:
Scenes from the first episode are important for certain characters to develop and are touched upon from time to time. Jesuits are involved with thier real world politics of the time.

It is a very well done series but is meant to be dark like the book.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tao] [#8]
Shitty christians bringing their shitty christian squabbles onto the shores of The Japans.

Japanese Shongunate respond as expected with their brutal hierarchical culture to european imperialism and handle business in an incredibly well written story with off the charts production value and character development. Watch the making of clips. They even had a Japanese etiquette teacher drilling them all the time.

The tea ceremony was intense if you read a bit about the underlying meaning of every freaking motion. It's just dripping with subtext under the ridiculously well done costuming and period correct action.

Hiroyuki Sanada is an international cultural treasure. You get to see him pulling double duty killing it acting and directing/producing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Eroic:
View Quote

Japan in the 1600s wasn't a Christian nation.  The Oda Nobunaga shogunate tolerated the Portuguese Catholic missionaries from 1548 until 1585.  His successor, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, came to see the Portuguese missionaries and Japanese Christians as a threat to Japan.  He feared Portugal would try to make Japan a colony using Japanese Christians as a fifth column.

Sh gun is set after Toyotomi Hideyoshi's death.  Missionary activity is forbidden and Christianity suppressed, but it's not about that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By murderface01:
I'm hoping for a season 2.
View Quote

There is explicitly going to be no season 2 or continuation of the story, because the story is wrapped up, exactly as the book.

However, if they took that quality show making and did the same thing for another small tumultuous period of feudal Japanese history, that could be epic.

I'd love to see an early-mid Edo period season 2 where they explore a liberalizing society, western/european influence, and the forces that caused the Shogun and Samurai to diminish in power and eventually disappear.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
It was pretty well done I thought. Not woke. That was refreshing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tao:

There is explicitly going to be no season 2 or continuation of the story, because the story is wrapped up, exactly as the book.

However, if they took that quality show making and did the same thing for another small tumultuous period of feudal Japanese history, that could be epic.

I'd love to see an early-mid Edo period season 2 where they explore a liberalizing society, western/european influence, and the forces that caused the Shogun and Samurai to diminish in power and eventually disappear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I just want to see the english sailors journey home.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#13]
It doesn't get "anti-Christian" as such.  There are aspects of cultural collisions.  "Foreigners" of several sorts are bumping into a society that has been essentially separated from that kind of contact.  "Illegal aliens?"  that would a superficial and inadequate description.  Avoiding deeper discussion, not all Christians are Roman Catholic, not all Roman Catholics are Jesuits.  Not all Protestants are Anglicans.  Not all westerners are Spanish or Portuguese.  There are some threads of these sorts in the show.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Unless something’s changed, there’s several articles saying that season 2 has been ordered, even though it doesn’t match up with the book.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Featureless:
It doesn't get "anti-Christian" as such.  There are aspects of cultural collisions.  "Foreigners" of several sorts are bumping into a society that has been essentially separated from that kind of contact.  "Illegal aliens?"  Avoiding deeper discussion, not all Christians are Roman Catholic, not all Roman Catholics are Jesuits.  Not all Protestants are Anglicans.  Not all westerners are Spanish or Portuguese.  There are some threads of these sorts in the show.
View Quote

Good explanation.  Human nature, folks tend to believe their society and religion is the best and interaction with others is a process.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Shogun is one of several books Clavell wrote on the presence of "Western" and "Eastern" cultures in Asia but each one more or less stands alone and they are separated by place and time.  Some threads can be seen in the various books but they aren't sequels suited to a "Season 2" treatment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I liked it.

well made.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Eroic:
I've watch the first episode so far and it has potential.  It's also pretty violent and I'm ok with most of it but I don't like seeing kids get hurt and even the off screen murders of children and babies is hard for me.  I have not rewatched Game of Thrones for that reason.  

Does it get worse?  Is it worse, the same or less violent than game of thrones when it comes to kids?  

View Quote

Does get more violent.

Not anti-Christian, more so anti-Catholic church.

Very much anti Spanish and Portuguese colonialism, but they were dicks about it anyway at that time in history.

Keep in mind, this takes place during feudal Japan's early era of opening their borders to outside nations.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#19]
So wait, you want no spoilers, but asks a spoiler question?

I thought it started out good, but as the season went on, the less interested I became.
I did finish it, but not something I would watch again, and no real interest in a season 2 (which you would need to decide if you follow what happens in Japan, or the return trip and what happens from there).
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
There a few changes they made, that I didnt agree with, but over all it was a very good series.

I would also suggest the original 80s miniseries.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Unless something's changed, there's several articles saying that season 2 has been ordered, even though it doesn't match up with the book.
View Quote

I have doubts they can pull it off, my bet is season 2 of shogun will be like season 8 of Game of Thrones...
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Silence:

I have doubts they can pull it off, my bet is season 2 of shogun will be like season 8 of Game of Thrones...
View Quote
Unlike GoT, the shogunate story is finished.

GoT ran out of published story material early on and had to wing an ending to wrap it up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I read the book this summer.  I thought the ending was extremely weak considering the detail in the rest of the book.  But whatever, it ended nearly how I thought it would.

Does the series follow the book closely or do they take liberties.  If they follow the book it is slap full of death and sex.  I can't imagine a show would be as graphic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#24]
No spoilers but I had high expectations that were not met.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top