Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2024 3:25:33 PM EDT
Communication from Harford County Public Schools:
It is with great sadness that we share a student sustained a gunshot wound in an altercation at Joppatowne High School today. Sheriff Gahler has shared the following information:

A shooting did take place in Joppatowne High School today, Friday, September 6, 2024.
   1 suspect and 1 victim were involved in the incident.
   The Principal and SRO were in the school. They did not hear the shot, but heard commotion and responded.
   The shooting took place in a 1st floor men's bathroom.
   After the initial shooting, the suspect left the bathroom and the school.
   Other individuals in the school brought the victim into the hallway where HCPS nurses immediately tended to the victim.
   Sheriff Gahler shared that within 2 minutes HCSO was on scene and additional partners arrived with over 100 more responders.
   The victim was airlifted to a trauma center.
   The victim is a 15 year old male, in serious condition according to Sheriff Gahler's latest update.
   The suspect in the case was apprehended within minutes near neighboring houses.
   The suspect is a 16 year old male and today was his first day reporting to school this year.
   Sheriff Gahler shared that while current legislation prevents the Harford County Sheriff's Office from questioning the suspect, the State's Attorney has confirmed the suspect will be charged in the shooting.
   The investigation is ongoing, so details will be limited.
   The weapon has not been recovered, and no details being shared about type of weapon at this time.

Please follow the Harford County Sheriff's Office Facebook page for investigation updates. We will continue to post updates in the Red Alert on hcps.org.

Thank you,

Jillian Lader

Manager of Communications

Harford County Public Schools
View Quote

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The suspect is a 16 year old male and today was his first day reporting to school this year.
View Quote

That's interesting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

That's interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's interesting.

School started Tuesday, 3 Sept.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Heard this earlier... Odd start of a school year...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Gang beef?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing suspect description.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Not surprising at all.
J towne HS
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doublecheez] [#7]
Tranny?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rodical:
Heard this earlier... Odd start of a school year...
View Quote

Ours started today too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#9]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Gang beef?
View Quote

I don't know anything about the school or the area, but here's a photo from the school page. I'm not a gang expert, so the hand gestures could either be kids being kids or bangers being bangers. Many fights and altercations happen in school bathrooms, so good possibility it was a "beef" issue.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the video here https://www.wbaltv.com/article/joppatowne-high-school-september-6-2024-emergency-response/62083087  The Sheriff said that the suspect does not necessarily have a criminal background but is known to them from responding to incidents.

Also news chopper got aerial footage of the apprehended subject being walked by police but they are no longer showing it now citing the "investigation"

I think it is safe to assume someone was disrespected....

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]

The lack of diversity should be addressed. Perhaps some DEI initiatives would make a more well-rounded school by balancing the number of groups not well represented.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

The lack of diversity should be addressed. Perhaps some DEI initiatives would make a more well-rounded school by balancing the number of groups not well represented.
View All Quotes

More Asians would mean higher test scores and less shootings.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

I don't know anything about the school or the area, but here's a photo from the school page. I'm not a gang expert, so the hand gestures could either be kids being kids or bangers being bangers. Many fights and altercations happen in school bathrooms, so good possibility it was a "beef" issue.

https://cdnsm5-ss18.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_721872/Image/IMG_3471.jpeg
View All Quotes
Gang beef?

https://cdnsm5-ss18.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_721872/Image/IMG_3471.jpeg

The team colors in the background are Fallston High School, their neighboring school.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Lived in Joppatowne while stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds... It was a shit hole then (late 80's and early 90's) and looks like it has gotten worse as time rolled on.

Even with shitty gun laws in MD, I and most of the Marine Detachment all kept guns close at hand when off base.

BK6
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
That's one of the (many) things that's funny about Baltimore. In the Baltimore area, Joppatowne is considered just "kinda rough". In many other areas of the country, it would be considered a full on shit hole.

If the average Montana high school kid stepped foot in Joppatowne High, they'd probably have an anxiety attack. And there are way worse areas in Baltimore than Joppatowne.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Gang beef?
View Quote

That the gun just vanished seems to support this theory.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wsix:
Not surprising at all.
J towne HS
View Quote

Thank God the US has a Department of Education.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ghettosis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By S1W:
That's one of the (many) things that's funny about Baltimore. In the Baltimore area, Joppatowne is considered just "kinda rough". In many other areas of the country, it would be considered a full on shit hole.

If the average Montana high school kid stepped foot in Joppatowne High, they'd probably have an anxiety attack. And there are way worse areas in Baltimore than Joppatowne.
View Quote

The other schools that should be considered worse are not reported as such, because MD reports schools by campus, not program.
So they placed the most desirable magnet programs in the county at the problem schools, so if parents can't afford private schools, they fight tooth and nail to get their kids into those magnet programs.

Joppatowne has JROTC and cyber security, but they're lame compared to the programs at the neighboring high schools (International Baccalaureate and Science & Math Academy) which have entirely separate floors, lunch periods, gym classes, etc for their magnet students. The only time the magnet kids at the other schools interact with the rest of the students is via after school sports.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope the victim is ok.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I see forks and crowns in those hands.

I recognize them from the ol' hood in Chicago.  definitely gang affiliated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Sheriff Gahler shared that while current legislation prevents the Harford County Sheriff's Office from questioning the suspect
View Quote

Wow, that's some great legislation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#26]
Sheriff and others host 18 minute press conference

The sheriff said the first outside deputy arrived at the school within two minutes and upwards of 100 officers were at the school within 15 minutes from Baltimore County, the Maryland Transportation Authority, area municipal police officers as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
View All Quotes
The sheriff said the first outside deputy arrived at the school within two minutes and upwards of 100 officers were at the school within 15 minutes from Baltimore County, the Maryland Transportation Authority, area municipal police officers as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

A motive remains unknown. The sheriff pointed to recent changes in state law governing juvenile justice reform that he said preclude deputies from speaking with the teenage suspect.

"This is a 16-year-old suspect that we are now not allowed to talk to. So, as far as trying to get some information to our detectives ... as to why, we're not allowed to ask the suspect in this case," Gahler said. "We've talked to the state's attorney and we do have sufficient information that he will be charged in association with the shooting without the need to be interviewed, overwhelming evidence, if you will, but the investigation is ongoing."

The sheriff states during the presser that the suspect will be charged as an adult.

Originally Posted By Southernman077:
I hope the victim is ok.

They flew the victim via State Police helicopter, I assume almost certainly to (University of Maryland Medical Center) Shock Trauma, which is normal for Maryland given our geography, traffic, and vehicle registration fees paying for those helicopters.
He's in good hands.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Victim has passed. Fox News.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NvrBrdWes:
From what I saw, this was a fight where a weapon was pulled, not someone looking to shoot up a school
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NvrBrdWes:
From what I saw, this was a fight where a weapon was pulled, not someone looking to shoot up a school

That was the initial communication as well:
This is an important message for our Joppatowne High School community.

The Harford County Sheriff’s Office has responded to the school for an isolated incident on campus today. There was a fight on campus to known parties. A weapon was brought onto campus and used in the incident. The HCSO and HCPS are working together to get this information to you.

Please continue to follow the HCSO Facebook page for updates on their investigation. I will continue to send email updates directly to our JOHS community. Please know this is unfolding quickly and we will provide additional information as soon as possible.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Look at the passive racism in the way this was reported. Oh, it’s not a school shooting, it was just an altercation where a student was shot.

Did someone bring a gun into a school?
Did they shoot somebody while in the school?

Then it was a damn SCHOOL SHOOTING.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 64FXR:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 64FXR:

Confirmed by the school:
UPDATE 4:39 P.M. SENT DIRECTLY TO OUR JOPPATOWNE HIGH SCHOOL COMMUNITY

It is with great sadness that we share that the victim of the shooting did not survive. At a media briefing that has just concluded, Sheriff Gahler identified the victim as Warren Grant, a 15 year old student at Joppatowne High School.

Again, we ask you to join us in keeping Warren’s family, friends, and the students and staff at JOHS in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. We will have additional supports in place for students as we process this tragedy as a school community.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess someone got disrespected.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Ya, those are all just peace signs and signs for Whats Up!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Kid died

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I don't see much diversity in that photo
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ztug:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ztug:

I see a lack of sickitating whiteness.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Amazing suspect description.
View Quote

The lack of description is the description.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#39]
But since it happened in the men’s room there were tampons immediately available to pack the wound

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By S1W:

View Quote

This. It's a Baltimore suburb. Not even one of the worst ones.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#41]
An employee at our daycare is related to a teacher at Joppatowne.

They started there is a significant gang problem at Joppatowne, the shooter entering the school explicitly to find the victim seems to be the theory.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Not surprising at all.
J towne HS
View Quote

At least they're honest...unless those suck stats are propped up from an even worse reality.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#43]

That's interesting.
View All Quotes

That's interesting.

I bet this one disappears from the news cycle real quick…for reasons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Not surprising at all.
J towne HS
View Quote

lol

Yep…like I said, this one will vanish real quick.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By doublecheez:
Tranny?
View Quote

Hood rats.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#46]
You just know the students call it Choppa Town.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Why hasn't this been all over the news
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By treelow:

lol

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By treelow:
Not surprising at all.
J towne HS

lol

I'm betting we won't see the state charge the shooter's father for buying him the handgun.

MD has mandatory missing firearm reporting, so they're going to go looking through his relatives' sock drawers for the weapon or a missing weapon, and dredging the town's storm drains to see where he tossed it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:
Look at the passive racism in the way this was reported. Oh, it’s not a school shooting, it was just an altercation where a student was shot.

View Quote

It was not, by definition a "mass shooting."

You can scream your response, but I likely won't hear it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ADKRebel:

Don't worry, it will still show up in the statistics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top