Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So what you're saying is 147gr sub sonics are the way to go....
View Quote

Most of those systems use the crack/zip to triangulate the location (muzzle noise vs. bullet flight noise).  They’ll still report without that data, its just GIGO.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You need both 1) muzzle blast and 2) a supersonic bullet to trigger it.

Kharn
View Quote
Supersonic, you say
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They were undoubtedly arrested for being felons in possession of firearms. The article leads the reader to believe that they were arrested for manufacturing firearms, which isn't illegal. No surprise there.
View Quote

Manufacturing firearms for sale without a license is indeed a crime.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Authorized a warrant? For what?
View Quote

You do realize a warrant is issued upon probable cause right? Same standard as a warrantless arrest, only for this you go to a judge and get them to approve it first. A warrant isn’t some crazy high standard that’s nigh impossible to meet and I don’t know why everyone seems to think it is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Car was outside.

That car?  No clue whose car that is, must be the house next door.  

Known criminals?  You don't have to ID at the door.

Shots fired in the general vicinity? Shotspotter can't tell you the exact address on 25' urban lots.

What was the basis for the warrant? Other than a rubber stamp judge?
View Quote

anybody ever wonder how criminals end up in jail? This post right here. Everybody thinks they’re so smart. What was that line from Family Guy? “She’ll have to believe it! It all ties together so well!”
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would a propane cannon ding a location to  shotspotter?
View Quote

Probably not - they go to quite a bit of effort to calibrate the system to eliminate false positives and only give alerts for gunshots.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a wonder that the shot-spotters have not all been shot.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like a whole lot of WTF as far as probable cause goes.
View Quote

Ever written a warrant? That’s an easy PC statement - one, two paragraphs tops.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

anybody ever wonder how criminals end up in jail? This post right here. Everybody thinks they’re so smart. What was that line from Family Guy? “She’ll have to believe it! It all ties together so well!”
View Quote

Yeah, I didn’t even notice it because I’m so used to hearing it,
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They wouldn't "manufacture" an event like this to bring attention to some wonderful new expensive technology and the horrors of "ghost guns" would they?
View Quote

Quoted:
The first time it was used and it just happened to be near people making evil guns without serial numbers.

Crazy
View Quote

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but if you think the criminal world hasn’t fully embraced homebuilds you’re crazy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
How long before some one starts taking pot shots at it with a durr rifle and knocking it out of service?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot spotter is worthless. In a past life, i witnessed two shootings, one being a homicide, and there were many bodies seen and many more shots heard than what ever showed up on the city map.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but if you think the criminal world hasn’t fully embraced homebuilds you’re crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wouldn't "manufacture" an event like this to bring attention to some wonderful new expensive technology and the horrors of "ghost guns" would they?

Quoted:
The first time it was used and it just happened to be near people making evil guns without serial numbers.

Crazy

That isn't what I said. I asked a question, did not claim an affirmative answer as fact. You have to admit, with leo responses here saying the thing doesn't work, that's a heckuva good catch for the new tech's first day on the job.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

And there's the reason they should have been making 300blackouts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shot spotter is worthless. In a past life, i witnessed two shootings, one being a homicide, and there were many bodies seen and many more shots heard than what ever showed up on the city map.

View Quote

When I got my first suppressor I was shooting it on a U-shaped berm and it sounded like an air wrench - zip!  The bullet noise was reflecting off the sides as the round travelled downrange and made for the odd noise.  You know what cities are full of? Big flat vertical surfaces that reflect noise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How long before some one starts taking pot shots at it with a durr rifle and knocking it out of service?
View Quote

theres more than one sensor. Most of the ones we had werent very noticeable.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Manufacturing firearms for sale without a license is indeed a crime.
View Quote

For sale? Who said they were selling them? The article says they were found in the house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Then they must be a hell of a lot better than the ones I used in the military because we used to test them with bubble wrap and popping bubble gum.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Well, he is wrong. Otherwise, it wouldn't work on .45 rounds

And it picks up fireworks all of the time. Along with afterfires from vehicles. Any loud blast will be picked up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d love to read the warrant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You do realize a warrant is issued upon probable cause right? Same standard as a warrantless arrest, only for this you go to a judge and get them to approve it first. A warrant isn’t some crazy high standard that’s nigh impossible to meet and I don’t know why everyone seems to think it is.
View Quote

That's the problem, the standard should be higher.

If the car linked to another shooting was registered to that address, that's different.

But if it was, why didn't they pull a warrant for the address the plate was registered to?

Their story starts with linking the car associated with a previous shooting to a particular house. That's the set of details I want - because I have no idea who owns that car.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would a propane cannon ding a location to  shotspotter?
View Quote

Or a thunder mug....
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Oh now you've done it.  That's like a fucking bat signal to all the "muh .45" fuckers, who will be swarming in shortly.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Original story is from Detroit News who are hiding the content behind a paywall.

https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/27596/shotspotter_tech_helps_police_bust_detroit_gun_factory

Police were dispatched to the house about 8 p.m. after getting an alert from ShotSpotter, a technology that records gunshot sounds and relays the location to police, the chief said. The department had just deployed ShotSpotter less than 24 hours earlier, and the alert was the first time it was used, Craig said.

When officers arrived at the house, they saw a car that was connected to a March 2 shooting, so they knocked on the door and asked the two occupants for permission to go inside for a "well-being check," he said.

The men refused, so the officers called a judge, who authorized a search warrant, Craig said. The two men, identified by Craig as 25-year-old gang members with criminal records, were arrested and 75 shell casings were recovered from the back yard.

The pair were using the house to make "ghost guns," which are homemade weapons lacking serial numbers. Police confiscated a rifle and four handguns, along with gun parts and tools.
View Quote

Guess I'm most surprised DPD found a way to pay for ShotSpotter.
View Quote

Springfield, MO, pop 250k, found the money to pay for Shot Spotter just recently.  They're my employer.  They're also the same employer who refused to give merit raises last year because covid, but created a "director of diversity and inclusion" job for 150k/yr + 500/mo for a "car allowance."  Some places just want to pretend they're a real city, some real cities want to pretend they have the money to buy Iraq war developed tech.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You do realize a warrant is issued upon probable cause right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Authorized a warrant? For what?

You do realize a warrant is issued upon probable cause right?

Where is the probable cause?

"Our microphones triangulated a sound to this area.  Someone at an address near there wouldn't let us in the door."

Is that probably cause or possible cause?

"Through the affiant's training and experience the occupants of the house were observed failing to respect my authority."?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it matter?  Are they going to stop committing crimes because they couldn't build a gun?

Step 1: build and/or steal firearms.
Step 2: commit violent crime
Step 3: ???
Step 4: have charges dismissed / pled down to misdemeanor mopery.
Step 5: GOTO Step 1

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Next time I'm down there I'll keep my eyes open for those.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does it matter?  Are they going to stop committing crimes because they couldn't build a gun?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the reason they will use to make them illegal so yes it matters. Or do you mean will it stop crime because we know of course that it will not.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top