Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: Yesterday 10:22:02 AM EDT
Read the FAQ and that looks like the suggestion. I'm looking to spend around 1K.

I'm new to this, been reading a lot, and right now I'm spending a lot of time on FreeCAD trying to figure that shit out. I've been so focused on how to do it that I haven't really looked at what to do it on. I have a real gear queer streak so I can easily see getting out of control once I start looking. Basically, I'm looking for a few suggestions with which to frame my search.

My reason for wanting the thing is to print crap in the event of supply chain shortages once things fall apart.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The latest generation of the Mk3, now the Mk4s, is solid.  We ran four at work making parts.  Printing mostly PCCF.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I think there are petter options out there. P1S. X1C is a little more but worth the upgrade in my opinion.

What I tell everyone is if you think you'll be serious the cost of the printer becomes inconsequential.

I have ran over $10k in filament throughy printers in the past three years. The cost of the printer itself is practically rounding.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rleonard:
The latest generation of the Mk3, now the Mk4s, is solid.  We ran four at work making parts.  Printing mostly PCCF.
View Quote

Ok, this is where I'm leaning. The X1C looks better in a lot of ways, but you know.... fuck China, I'd rather pay a few hundred more.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mr_Happyface:

Ok, this is where I'm leaning. The X1C looks better in a lot of ways, but you know.... fuck China, I'd rather pay a few hundred more.
View Quote

I mean. If that's how you feel then okay.

But having owned several Prusa products and a Bambu, there is zero reason to go Prusa. It's an older technology with worse specs for far less value.

Prusa will be out of business in five years. They pulled a Surefire and sat on their hands too long and let the industry pass them up.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#5]
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I started with an ender, pos, made me almost lose interest in the hobby. Then I got an mk3s, awesome machine. I liked it so much I dropped the coin to upgrade it to an mk3.9. Now I'll probably throw down the cash to upgrade it to an s. My advice? Get the mk4s kit, learn how everything works while you build it (several hour process, but teaches you a ton), and enjoy. I'm no fan of Bambu due to everything being locked down. Either way, happy printing.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Bambu is currently the reigning champ.
I have an X1C with AMS at home. We have a P1S with AMS at work.

FYI, you can run them in non-China (LAN-only) mode. The P1S is air-gapped, meaning no network connection. SD card file transfer only.
At home I usually run LAN-only because it's faster to transfer a file (3 seconds vs 10 seconds... noticeable, but not a game-changer. YMMV).
The Bambu are WiFI only, and limited to a 2.4 GHz network as far as I know.

We also have a Mk 4, which runs and runs. It's quiet and reliable with excellent print quality. It sits on a guy's desk and is constantly printing something. He won't give it up.

The QIDI offerings are solid, with some rough edges. We have 3 at work. They run and run, but the quality of the print isn't on par with the Mk 4 and Bambu and I don't have time to calibrate and tune to get them there. They're working dogs.
QIDI has an ethernet port, if that's important to you.

If I were spending my own money again, I'd go Bambu P1S or X1C. The X1C is much nicer, and is already outfitted for glass- and carbon-filled filaments. The P1S needs minor upgrades... which we didn't do on the machine at work. I'll let you know if we ever wear out the extruder or nozzle.

These days I wouldn't buy a printer that didn't have a built-in enclosure. "Engineering" filaments like ABS and Nylon are much easier with an enclosure.

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Biggest benefit to prusa is you don't need prusa to repair it.

They are reliable work horses though. My mk3 just keeps chugging along with great prints. Also easy to mod if you ever want to.

Bambu prints nice, are easy to use, but their fw and hw are locked down.
Eta : I watch China pretty close because electronics is my business, and things are not looking good. I sure hope the supply chain diversifies out of Chinese dependency, or we will be screwed. Their economy is on the brink of implosion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Biggest benefit to prusa is you don't need prusa to repair it.

They are reliable work horses though. My mk3 just keeps chugging along with great prints. Also easy to mod if you ever want to.

Bambu prints nice, are easy to use, but their fw and hw are locked down.
Eta : I watch China pretty close because electronics is my business, and things are not looking good. I sure hope the supply chain diversifies out of Chinese dependency, or we will be screwed. Their economy is on the brink of implosion.

Man, I've been hearing that for 10 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally Posted By Greyknight:
I started with an ender, pos, made me almost lose interest in the hobby. Then I got an mk3s, awesome machine. I liked it so much I dropped the coin to upgrade it to an mk3.9. Now I'll probably throw down the cash to upgrade it to an s. My advice? Get the mk4s kit, learn how everything works while you build it (several hour process, but teaches you a ton), and enjoy. I'm no fan of Bambu due to everything being locked down. Either way, happy printing.

I was thinking about the kit, I can definitely see the value in knowing the equipment thoroughly. No soldering involved, correct? I'm just looking to screw shit together.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tholo:

These days I wouldn't buy a printer that didn't have a built-in enclosure. "Engineering" filaments like ABS and Nylon are much easier with an enclosure.

View Quote

I saw Prusa has an optional enclosure. Will that suffice for ABS?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mr_Happyface:

I saw Prusa has an optional enclosure. Will that suffice for ABS?
View Quote
Yes, but the factory Prusa one is expensive.
Google the Lack enclosure mod. Rat and Obsessed I believe both use that instead of the factory enclosure.

The bed-slinger design is not space-efficient when you add an enclosure.
A Mk4 by itself is a tiny thing, but you have to account for the bed moving back and forth.

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top