Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2024 12:35:21 AM EDT
Let's say a teens or 20s/maybe 30 something commits a gang or drug sales-related shooting or crime, should their parents, if alive, be held acccountable? At least their birth parents or parents that parented them up until middle/high school years.. maybe a little leeway if they are a step-parent that came 14+?  But even then, that could depend...

Ethan from that Oxford, Mi school shooting's parents are prosecuted and now that GA shooter's dad is being charged with Murder 2.

I doubt Crooks' would be... he was 20 when it happened and the gun's sale was done properly 99.8%-100%. Maybe a lawsuit may creep up on them, maybe. But also liekly not.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Should the children of criminals have to pay restitution for their parents crimes?

This whole idea is horse shit brought to you by the same people who think reparations are a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t know about typical criminals or the head cases, but if terrorists knew that their suicide attacks would result in their family members being executed in response, there would be a lot less jihadi volunteers.

The only thing that really worked to bring down the most notorious criminal in modern history, Pablo Escobar, was when the shadow vigilantes started going after his family, friends, and business associates.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, for specific incidents of massive horror and destruction, if they had a reasonable cause to believe their freak of a fucked up kid THEY raised with their shitty parenting, is about to harm others (especially innocent kids at a school).
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighDesert6920:
Yes, for specific incidents of massive horror and destruction, if they had a reasonable cause to believe their freak of a fucked up kid THEY raised with their shitty parenting, is about to harm others (especially innocent kids at a school).
View Quote

AND GAVE THEM THE WEAPON TO DO IT.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Lots of people having incidental crotch fruit have been enormously destructive to our society. If you raise monsters or bums you should be held accountable. Kids are a blessing and the most important things we can create. People unwilling or unable to do that should be sterilized. Anyone that hurts them should be executed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Sins of the father, in reverse.

So no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell No!

People that commit acts of violence are responsible for the consequences of what they've done.  It's stupidity to start that slippery slope crap.  Why not charge the grandparents.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a lot of evil influences on kids/young adults these days outside of the home.  I've worked for non-profits that have put me up close & personal with people.  I've seen good people terrorized by their own adult children and grandchildren who have gotten into "the thug life."  It's shocking to walk into someone's home and see an exterior keyed deadbolt on a bedroom door to keep their money, guns and meds safe from their own children.  These are not derelict parents.  These are decent people.

I don't know what the answer is, but this is yet one more iteration of making shit get out of control (pressure on the family unit, schools being chaotic) so we beg for the solution that was already planned.  Holding parents accountable for the acts of their children is the first step in [selectively] prosecuting "degrees of separation" from the criminals.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I mean will you be able to find 50% of their parents?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It wouldn’t demonize law abiding gun owners, so it ain’t gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
No.

Should the children of criminals have to pay restitution for their parents crimes?

This whole idea is horse shit brought to you by the same people who think reparations are a good idea.
View Quote

Nothing but North Korean bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Gang members don't know who their parents are. Gang members fell out of a low class Coochie hole and onto the asphalt. The streets became their mentors and they grew into criminals.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but only for gun crimes since guns are icky.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is the key fucking point. If the parents are an accomplice to the crime of course they should be charged.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:54:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#15]
No.

View Quote

This. The “sins of the father” was the law of the land in many places and it guaranteed poverty for the descendants of a debtor.

ETA: Sometimes you do everything right as a parent and your kid goes astray. Sometimes, shitty parents produce outstanding children.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If I can catch charges for a violent animal that gets loose and attacks someone due to my negligence I don't see why a child under your care should be any different.

If you know JR. is a criminal and you don't do something to prevent it you should be held responsible for the damages.  The problem that I've seen in person is that often Jr is selling drugs and being a criminal while mom is getting money from him to pay her bills.

If you are aware you have a problem child and aren't working to stop them, you are complicit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Did they buy their kids (who they knew to be mentally ill) the gun and ammo used in the shootings?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:07:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#18]
Originally Posted By MK3110:

This is the key fucking point. If the parents are an accomplice to the crime of course they should be charged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK3110:

The way I see it!

if your kid was running around threatening to shoot up the school, and you ran out and bought him a rifle for the job you are an accomplice.
Or, really really stupid... for your lawyer to determine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#19]
Like all things it depends.

I've known gangbanger parents who would get their children (and other children) to commit crime at their behest, knowing the penalties are less or nonexistent.

I've known gangbanger parents who put their kids on to attacking people who wronged them resulting in death, up to and including that of (mostly) uninvolved third parties.

If they provided material support and there is a strong reason to believe the support, information they provided, or communication between them would foster or create criminal behavior, that's conspiracy / aiding and abetting all day long. It isn't always that easy to prove, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#20]
Sippenhaft.

Sippenhaft or Sippenhaftung (German: [ˈzɪpənˌhaft(ʊŋ)], kin liability) is a German term for the idea that a family or clan shares the responsibility for a crime or act committed by one of its members, justifying collective punishment. As a legal principle, it was derived from Germanic law in the Middle Ages, usually in the form of fines and compensations. It was adopted by Nazi Germany to justify the punishment of kin (relatives, spouse) for the offence of a family member. Punishment often involved imprisonment and execution, and was applied to relatives of the conspirators of the failed 1944 bomb plot to assassinate Hitler.

When the people come right out in the open and want Nazi justice it's fun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Did they buy and provide their drug dealing child with a gun ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Under 18, yes the parents are accountable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#23]
If the parents are absent/enabling the violent/criminal children, I think there’s a case to be made. Just like we should prosecute people if their feral dog runs loose and bites someone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Only if they support reparations
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#25]
No.

View Quote

Only when the parents are white, so far.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#26]
May as well do siblings too. If one kid's a fuck up, safe to assume the rest are also.
Aunts and uncles? If the parents suck, who's to say their siblings don't suck just as well. And their offspring too.
And the grandparents can obviously be to blame for starting the whole lineage of fuckuppery.

Hope you don't have any fuckups anywhere in your family OP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
did they literally buy the gun and hand it to the criminal (prohibited person) ?  if yes -- then prosecute.

but questionable / bad parenting that indirectly leads to a crime / tragedy at some future point ?  no
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top