Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Kukri master race

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:
Sorry, I'm from a banana republic...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/523431/Screen_Shot_2020-12-03_at_11_19_48_PM_pn-1714022.JPG
View Quote

Is that a Tramotina carbon?

If so, the one i owned had some awesome steel in it. Wish I'd not lost it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SouthsideSlim:
Every time I watch The Patriot I think about getting a tomahawk.
This thread makes me feel better, thought I was a weirdo.
View Quote

My favorite scene in that film was when his sons stared in horror at their boring, pussified, old dad. They found out why he was so reticent to go to war. It was a side of himself he'd kept locked in a box, for good reason.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
How the hell do you conceal carry a tomahawk?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 40xb:
View Quote
This. OP is engaging in childish fantasy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Londo:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Londo

I carry an axe or tomahawk everyday it helps in a lot of ways depending on the day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BURN:

@Londo

I carry an axe or tomahawk everyday it helps in a lot of ways depending on the day.
View All Quotes

@Londo

Concealed?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you guys NOT see the winky smiley in the OP?

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently sent in my Winkler Combat Axe for new scales. The maple was severely dinged up and had been through a lot, and I felt it was time to get them replaced.

Apparently, my axe is old school, and they have a new process for building the axes, and it basically would have been more work than anticipated. They asked me if I would be open to them simply sending me a new one. I jumped at the offer. I have a Utility Crusher with matching scales.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My humble collection:

Attachment Attached File

My Dad bought me this when I was a kid, Craftsman hatchet:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Annnnd just arrived. This was purchased due in no small part this thread.

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#17]
Once upon a time I read an article where someone converted an aircraft emergency crash axe into a tomahawk; you can see in the pic below how easy this would be, you merely remove a small bit of metal and you end up with a tomahawk with an insulated handle that can withstand 20,000 volts.

I searched for years and finally found one at a gun show for the low price of $6.00.  Noticing some numbers embossed in the handle I Googled them and discovered that my particular crash axe was standard equipment on B-24 and B-25 bombers during WWII...there was no way I could destroy a piece of history like that so I now carry a B-24/B-25 crash axe in my truck and my search for a tomahawk continues.

The crash axes are still in production and come in two versions, serrated edge and non serrated; we carried one on the AC-130U, and you can by them here:

https://clareys.com/buy/gemtor-crash-axe/

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By inGobwetrust:

Concealed?
View All Quotes

@Londo

Concealed?

open or concealed or in my pack depends what I am doing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#20]
i threw this one in my go bag in my land cruiser a few years ago.
i forgot i had it there until i saw this thread,i guess i need to go cut something with it besides myself.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1994LC3X:
i threw this one in my go bag in my land cruiser a few years ago.
i forgot i had it there until i saw this thread,i guess i need to go cut something with it besides myself.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548207/IMG_1917_JPG-2802210.jpg
View Quote

I’ve been considering one of those. How do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:45:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1994LC3X] [#22]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:

View Quote

i have the larger version as well and it has more use on it.
i have not tortured the large version yet but it has worked well,
the small one fits my hand nicely and i can see using it more choked up on the handle more so than swinging it like and axe.
both are kind of pricy to me,
i would definitely let my wife buy the smaller one again.

i looked around to see if i could find anyone carrying this brand and was unsuccessful.
the ones my wife bought for me was at the blade show several years ago.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]

the small one fits my hand nicely and i can see using it more choked up on the handle more so than swinging it like and axe.

i looked around to see if i could find anyone carrying this brand and was unsuccessful.
View All Quotes

You can find them easily under the American name Half Breed Blades.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]

You can find them easily under the American name Half Breed Blades.
View Quote

Cool thanks the double head hawk maybe my wife’s next purchase.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Working on scales for my Toor F13.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I think all the Cold Steel offerings have the same eye shape. Some of them are like 40 or 50 inches long, anyone know where to get those handles? I want one for a Trail Hawk head so I can have a fokos.

I bought this recently (the middle one), need to get a blade guard and rig up a sling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a American Tomahawk Company Model 1 in green.

I find it great for breaking stuff and for throwing but it wouldn't be my first choice for a melee weapon.

Not my pic:

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve got a new tomahawk on the way, and a funny story about it.

Also finishing up scales for my bosses new Winkler clone. It looks sweet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

NICE, VERY nice.!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
How the hell do you conceal carry a tomahawk?
View Quote

I've been doing it (experimenting) with the Winged Wearables Empress Tomahawk. His sheath system is pretty damn simple and does exactly what it's designed to do.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
I've got a American Tomahawk Company Model 1 in green.

I find it great for breaking stuff and for throwing but it wouldn't be my first choice for a melee weapon.

Not my pic:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0704/5421/4954/products/MODEL1ODGREEN2.jpg?v=1675450840&width=1445
View Quote

These are really solid "fighting" hawks. I just added the Mod 2 recently, more of a tool than a weapon, but it chopped well:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

These are really solid "fighting" hawks. I just added the Mod 2 recently, more of a tool than a weapon, but it chopped well:
ROCK6
View Quote

As I understand it they are more of a sentry removal tool than anything, intended to sneak up behind someone and quietly take them out with a downward strike to the skull, preferably with the spike end.

As a general fighting weapon I'd rather have a big blade or my MPL-50 shovel any day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#35]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
As I understand it they are more of a sentry removal tool than anything, intended to sneak up behind someone and quietly take them out with a downward strike to the skull, preferably with the spike end.

As a general fighting weapon I'd rather have a big blade or my MPL-50 shovel any day.
View Quote

There are a lot of opinions about spikes on hawks, especially as "fighting" hawks. Peter LaGana who designed and marketed the original Viet Nam tomahawk did have a book about using it for fighting. However, many consider the rearward facing spike a liability when swinging or something an enemy could push back into your face/body. While the history of spikes on "battle axes" were meant to penetrate knights' armor, that (I guess) could still apply today. Personally, I still just see modern "tactical" tomahawks as beaching, demolition type tools first; weapon second. Of course, sneaking up and striking someone in the skull with a tomahawk would be pretty damn painful for other guy

If you watch that video of the Winged Wearables Empress hawk, you'll notice the curved, rear spike is "seated" in the pocket of his shoulder for strikes and isn't meant to go over the should...I didn't draw blood, but shredded a T-shirt finding out why you don't do overhead strikes and more compact "punches".

Ironically named the "Class 9 Recue Kit", the updated version of the VTAC was part of the initial Stryker Brigade issue...I would really like to know who on the MTOE designing staff who made that decision, and give them a big kudos for the balls to slip that into the fielding of that first Stryker brigade

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

There are a lot of opinions about spikes on hawks, especially as "fighting" hawks. Peter LaGana who designed and marketed the original Viet Nam tomahawk did have a book about using it for fighting. However, many consider the rearward facing spike a liability when swinging or something an enemy could push back into your face/body. While the history of spikes on "battle axes" were meant to penetrate knights' armor, that (I guess) could still apply today. Personally, I still just see modern "tactical" tomahawks as beaching, demolition type tools first; weapon second. Of course, sneaking up and striking someone in the skull with a tomahawk would be pretty damn painful for other guy

If you watch that video of the Winged Wearables Empress hawk, you'll notice the curved, rear spike is "seated" in the pocket of his shoulder for strikes and isn't meant to go over the should...I didn't draw blood, but shredded a T-shirt finding out why you don't do overhead strikes and more compact "punches".

Ironically named the "Class 9 Recue Kit", the updated version of the VTAC was part of the initial Stryker Brigade issue...I would really like to know who on the MTOE designing staff who made that decision, and give them a big kudos for the balls to slip that into the fielding of that first Stryker brigade

ROCK6
View Quote

Spikes make me nervous but I think they're necessary for a couple of reasons.

One is that they're generally more effective than the edge whether the target is a skull, a clothed and yielding body or when smashing and breaching.

Also the spike aids in blocking by extending the length of the head.

The head length of a LaGana style hawk is 8 inches, which is probably close to the minimum length where you'd want to even attempt blocking with the top of the head.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to get a tomahawk. Is there a thread somewhere here to help a tomahawk newbie like me make a good choice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I want to get a tomahawk. Is there a thread somewhere here to help a tomahawk newbie like me make a good choice?

Thanks!
View Quote

CRKT Jenny Wren
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I carry a sling blade. Some call it a Kaiser blade but I call it a sling blade mmmhmm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Thanks!
View Quote
Page 1 of this thread.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm not CCWing a Tomahawk, but I do have an Estwing that's built like a tank..
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Thanks!
View Quote

Cold Steel Trail Hawk is a great start. Pull the screw* and ditch it, take a file to the top eye, fix any curls that might be above the head and put an edge on it. Staining the handle and customizing the head can be done later, I read CS doesn't coat them anymore. I like them with a 14" handle but I just bought a 30" Viking axe that I'll be trying on different heads. The CS OEM sheaths are perfectly usable but don't come with the hawks.

The Pipe Hawk is too heavy for such a thin handle for me, I bet the Rifleman's Hawk is even worse. At that point I'd just get a regular axe.

*50/50 chance this will suck. I had a few come out fine, one strip out and another I broke the tip of the bit I was using. I ended up just hammering it into the screw. The stripped out one used to be tight but the head is loosening up. I need to drill it out and finish it up right, I have a nice handle wrap and a sharp edge on it. It's my car tomahawk.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
It's my car tomahawk.
View Quote

Glad I’m not the only one with a car tomahawk!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
It's my car tomahawk.

I have an OEM sheath on it and stuck it in my passenger seat's rear pouch. My thinking is I can extract myself or someone else from their vehicle if need be. The angles on the hammer poll are actually somewhat sharp, I bet I could break a window with it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#47]
For those of you with the SOG tomahawk, a nice and easy mod is to put rubber o-rings in the grooves of the handle. Makes things nice and comfy, not too grippy but helps keep the hawk from leaving your hand when you don't want it to.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top