Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your house has glass too. Easy to break.

Leaving a gun in a locked car is fine by me, it should be hidden but I'm not going to say anyone should be prosecuted for being a victim of Theft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even leaving them otherwise unsecured in an unattended but locked car or truck is negligent, IMO.

Glass and all... it’s easy to break.

Leaving a gun in a locked car is fine by me, it should be hidden but I'm not going to say anyone should be prosecuted for being a victim of Theft.
Prosecuted? No.

Shamed? Yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's kind of funny that the only people mentioning victim blaming or charging the victim are those disagreeing with OP.

Leaving guns in vehicles is stupid
View Quote
If we start criminalizing stupidity, we are going to have to build a lot more prisons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your house windows are a fuck-ton easier to break than any car glass.  I know that movies and TV show people just knocking out with their elbow - try it some time.  Enjoy your trip to the emergency room.
View Quote
Lol it's not difficult at all.   It might be hard for someone who has no idea what they are doing, but a bum or petty thief with a piece of ceramic from a spark plug or a piece of concrete, will get in the first time, every time.

In some ways car windows are actually easier.  Yeah, the initial break takes more skill, but once you are inyou don't have to worry nearly as much about getting cut on shards left in the frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1. Guns are not legal or socially acceptable to take everywhere. Want less stolen guns? Allow carry all places.

2. Sometimes I stop by the grocery store after the gun range.

3. Houses have windows

4. Yes, I try to minimize theft risk but get off your high horse
View Quote
The problem is in Mobile and a lessor extent in Pensacola:  dicks leave their guns in their unlocked car overnight in the driveway, the street in front of their house or apartment complex parking lot.  Then they act surprised when their gun is missing the next morning. .   No broken glass, just open the door, grab the valuables and walk off.  It is routine around here.

These are not cases of I left my gun in a locked car, out of sight while I ran into a no-carry store.

I think their should be a penalty for leaving anything valuable or dangerous in an unlocked car.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No car is secure enough.
View Quote
No house is secure enough

No safe is secure enough

No holster is secure enough

No one is secure enough to prevent gun from being taken...

Any more lefty points? Are there any more gun grabbing apologist arguments?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have not and do not advocate the prosecution for victims of theft.

Leaving guns, computers etc in an unlocked vehicle is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinly veiled criminalization of a victim thread.
I have not and do not advocate the prosecution for victims of theft.

Leaving guns, computers etc in an unlocked vehicle is stupid.
I agree it is stupid but but I still see it as a thinly veiled criminalization of a victim thread and some of the mouth-breathers here have already jumped on the criminally negligent bandwagon. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree, leaving guns in unlocked, unattended vehicles is negligent.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your house has glass too. Easy to break..
View Quote
I do not leave unsecured guns in my house when I'm not home either. Any gun that's not going with me gets locked in one of the safes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Read me

Tuder, 30, was alone at the time and not wearing a bullet proof vest, added Battiste, although back up officers were already on the way. Questioned why Tuder was alone and undercover, Battiste said that being undercover was essential in attempting to arrest Perez.
View Quote
For the cops here, why would you not have your vest on? Isn't it pretty much SOP to never not have it on when working?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Shame someone was killed with a gun that may not have been stolen if the car was locked.   We see more car burglaries of unlocked cars than locked ones in my area.  Less chance of causing alarm and getting caught by not breaking things to get into the car.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If we start criminalizing stupidity, we are going to have to build a lot more prisons.
View Quote
again, the only people mentioning charges are those arguing for leaving guns in vehicles
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some of us work at places that ban them in the worksite.

Think before you type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t get leaving any valuables in an unlocked vehicle.
I don't get leaving guns in vehicles.  Locked or unlocked.  It's irresponsible.

Think before you type.
Why would you work for someone who does not respect your right of self defense?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Further evidence that a lot of GD doesn't really carry.

GD: I carry a 10mm 1911 24/7

also GD: I have to leave my gun in my car 40 hours a week.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Cops in Mobile are always taking about the unlocked car issue it just blows my mind.

Anyway this is a sad deal by all accounts this officer was destined for great things and the perp and his mom are complete turds.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Read me

For the cops here, why would you not have your vest on? Isn't it pretty much SOP to never not have it on when working?
View Quote
There are situations (deep cover, for example) when wearing a vest isn't going to work.  That said, this sounds a lot less like "undercover" and a lot more like plainclothes work, in which case I don't see a reason not to wear it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
It's surprising that even within our own extreme community, we have so many who obviously believe gun is the devil.
I've been saying it for years, we're fucked

How to change that thinking?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Read me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Read me

Tuder, 30, was alone at the time and not wearing a bullet proof vest, added Battiste, although back up officers were already on the way. Questioned why Tuder was alone and undercover, Battiste said that being undercover was essential in attempting to arrest Perez.
A vest pretty much spoils the undercover aspect.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Further evidence that a lot of GD doesn't really carry.

GD: I carry a 10mm 1911 24/7

also GD: I have to leave my gun in my car 40 hours a week.
View Quote
Is your car unlocked for those 40 hours?  Is your gun left in plane sight?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah being burglarized should make you a criminal
View Quote
This. How about we blame the criminal, and not the victim.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think before you type.
You mean like the military does?

Or anyone who does service work at the VA, or a post office, or a courthouse, or a school?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is your car unlocked for those 40 hours?  Is your gun left in plane sight?
View Quote
I do not leave guns in my car and I do not leave my car unlocked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You mean like the military does?

Or anyone who does service work at the VA, or a post office, or a courthouse, or a school?
View Quote
Even when I served and was stationed in California we understood that concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I park my car unlocked in a ghetto while I spend the night at a bordello should I be able to leave a pistol laying on the dashboard and have no liability when it's used to rob a liquor store?

What if I make a pogo stick out of real 870s, load them, then bounce down to my kids's school and leave it laying against the bike rack for the day?

Is there no difference between sticking your gun in the glove box while you run into the Mayor's office to get your llama a license while your car is parked outside the police station v throwing a 38 in your glove box and leaving it there, unlocked 24/7 until the car goes to the crusher or the gun is stolen?
View Quote
I bet judges cringe when they see you walk into their court room.

I can picture them calling their wives when they see you. "I'm going to be late, honey. HE'S here again". And the wife "OK dear, try not to lose your temper this time, remember what happened the last time, it was weeks before the rash disappeared".
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're going to leave it in a locked car, keep it in a locked safe or other secure licking device.
Knowing ahead of time how easy it is to break a car window to gain access to the cars contents, its negligent to handle the issue any other way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think before you type.
Great question.  Why would you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you're going to leave it in a locked car, keep it in a locked safe or other secure licking device.
Knowing ahead of time how easy it is to break a car window to gain access to the cars contents, its negligent to handle the issue any other way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My boss bought us all lock boxes for Christmas, in case we wanted to leave our guns in our cars. I wear mine all day and usually have one or more others in my locker in case I decide to go out after work and want something smaller.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funniest typo of the week right there. Thanks, I'm still cleaning coffee off my monitor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even when I served and was stationed in California we understood that concealed means concealed.
View Quote
So your advice is to violate state and federal law?

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I left, that's the point. If your current employer does not allow you to have a gun at work, find a new job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Unlocked vehicle is stupid.

Locked vehicle is fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read me

Eh, he's not doing buys or anything that gets him so close to bad guys that they'll see the bulge.  More plainclothes than actual UC.  Should have been wearing a vest, or if he wasn't going to do that, should have acted as still watch and let other officers do the takedown.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's irresponsible but it shouldn't be criminal. The cat burglar is the one responsible.
I never liked the thought of returning to my car to stare down the barrel of my own gun.
View Quote
This is correct. I cannot advocate for criminally punishing a burglary victim.

That being said, you’re a lazy fucking idiot of you leave a gun in your car. And no, I’m not talking about when you have to run into a GFZ real quick, I’m talking about the window licking dipshits who constantly leave a gun in their car. It takes two seconds to break a window. I watch guns get stolen from locked and unlocked cars almost weekly. Do gun owners want to take away guns from dangerous individuals without infringing on peoples rights? Start with taking responsibility for their property. I have guns everywhere in my home, but they’re all secured. You’ll never catch me leaving a gun accessible in my car.

Should the original owner from OP be charged? No. Should the fact this his stolen gun was used to kill someone else weigh heavily on his conscious for a long time? Fuck yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The trailer you live in.  Is that a "vehicle" per your definition?

I don't get this criminalization of theft victims.  I leave a gun in a (locked) vehicle all the time.  I have to if I go to a place that doesn't allow CC inside.  Should I just never carry because occasionally I have to leave my gat inside the car?

GD is especially weird today.  Especially.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is correct. I cannot advocate for criminally punishing a burglary victim.

That being said, you’re a lazy fucking idiot of you leave a gun in your car. And no, I’m not talking about when you have to run into a GFZ real quick, I’m talking about the window licking dipshits who constantly leave a gun in their car. It takes two seconds to break a window. I watch guns get stolen from locked and unlocked cars almost weekly. Do gun owners want to take away guns from dangerous individuals without infringing on peoples rights? Start with taking responsibility for their property. I have guns everywhere in my home, but they’re all secured. You’ll never catch me leaving a gun accessible in my car.

Should the original owner from OP be charged? No. Should the fact this his stolen gun was used to kill someone else weigh heavily on his conscious for a long time? Fuck yes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I left, that's the point. If your current employer does not allow you to have a gun at work, find a new job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's just terrible advice.  It makes your "break the law" one seem good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No safe is secure enough

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No car is secure enough.

No safe is secure enough

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Read me

View Quote
From the article, he may have been doing surveillance and seeing if he could locate the suspect.  So he could have been watching places or checking with hotel/motel front desks seeing if the suspect or any of his known associates were registered there or had been seen in the area.    Once he got a location, he probably would have called for some type of back up and then made the arrest.  His vest very well may have been in his vehicle and he could have put it on before attempting to arrest the suspect.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Op is going to trigger the "I can leave my machineguns onthe clothesline to dry, don't blame the victim" crowd.
View Quote
Mod has apparently sided with the "blame the victim" crowd.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't get this criminalization of theft victims.  I leave a gun in a (locked) vehicle all the time.  I have to if I go to a place that doesn't allow CC inside.  Should I just never carry because occasionally I have to leave my gat inside the car?
View Quote
No, you should always carry. You have the option of simply not going those places, deciding your rights trump their rules and carrying anyway, or upgrading your vehicle with something like a trunk vault, or some combination of all three.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. How about we blame the criminal, and not the victim.
View Quote
If a guy decides to mosey down the dope track at 3am for a jog and gets robbed, I'm not going to say he deserved it, or that it should be illegal to go where he wants, when he wants.  I AM going to say that what he did was unwise however, and that there were some simple preventative steps he could have taken that would have avoided the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're not allowed to have a gun in the grocery store???
View Quote
The Walmart here prohibits carry.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No, you should always carry. You have the option of simply not going those places, deciding your rights trump their rules and carrying anyway, or upgrading your vehicle with something like a trunk vault, or some combination of all three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the option of not going to the DMV and don't feel like I need to be the test case for no-CCW signs shouldn't carry the weight of law behind them.  I wouldn't have to bother leaving my job if I did that since I wouldn't have it any more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Guns are not legal or socially acceptable to take everywhere. Want less stolen guns? Allow carry all places.

2. Sometimes I stop by the grocery store after the gun range.

3. Houses have windows

4. Yes, I try to minimize theft risk but get off your high horse
You only take your concealed handgun every time you go to the range?  Or do you regularly open carry 5 ARs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Every time these types of threads pop up, GD never disappoints with its desire for common sense gun control.
View Quote
that's fucking beautiful, man. Perfectly said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It should be CRIMINALY NEGLIGENT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be CRIMINALY NEGLIGENT.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe a charge for someone doing this.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top