Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2020 4:00:59 PM EDT

Or perhaps this is the work of the descendents of the engineers responsible for the KC46?

Thought this might be a fun distraction from all the election stuff. What ornate features would you like on your deep space exploration vessel? I think I would just be happy with an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Passengers (2016) - Gravity Loss Scene (7/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
And yet, after the kamikaze run on the Odyssey convinced Starfleet to take the Dominion seriously they didn't lose any Galaxy class ships in the entire war. It's got teeth when you need them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember the TV guide coming in the mail and them showing the new Enterprise design for The Next Generation many, many years ago, and I thought it was hideous.  Still do.  I did like the change they made when it became the Enterprise "E".  Thought it was a cool design.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thought this might be a fun distraction from all the election stuff. What ornate features would you like on your deep space exploration vessel? I think I would just be happy with an Olympic sized swimming pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeaiVveZWD8
View Quote

If it weren't for Jennifer Lawrence, that would be a stupid scene. Swimming in weightless water would be no harder than laterally swimming through weighed water. Treading water would be more difficult, but you could just push your mouth up and tread nearly as easily as you would with weight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it weren't for Jennifer Lawrence, that would be a stupid scene. Swimming in weightless water would be no harder than laterally swimming through weighed water. Treading water would be more difficult, but you could just push your mouth up and tread nearly as easily as you would with weight.
View Quote

That whole movie is a set of highly unlikely and moronically contrived coincidences. Just the fact that a ship, designed to carry thousands of people only has one auto-Doctor unit?

Or no possible contingency if someone wakes up accidentally? No big blue button labeled 'press button in case of accidental awakening' that wakes up at least one of the crew if this happens?

That ship was probably designed by Vogons. At least the user interfaces were.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Sorry, I should've quoted the OP
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
They also had a serious systems malfunction every other episode.  Just using the holodeck was practically Russian roulette.  One time the thing became sentient and nearly killed them while giving birth, FFS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Bigger on the inside, than it is on the outside.
Doesn't have to slingshot around a star to time travel.
Paint it like a port-a-potty, and park it anywhere here on earth, and people will stay away from it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
What the ships should look like.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Repurposed and recycled Battleship, as mother fucking hippie as it can get.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The ship in 'Battle Beyond the Stars' for obvious reasons....
Often wondered what it looked like from the back
And if that was the entry port, if you had to lick the key pad to enter.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Star Trek - The Way to Eden - Main Jam in Lounge
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Spaces hippies??

Great Lost in Space episode. With Smith the Mighty!!!

Attachment Attached File

One hippie was DanielJ. Travanti, from Hill Street Blues...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry, I should've quoted the OP
View Quote

No worries, I just wanted an excuse to post that meme, it's a fun one.

You have to admit though, the designer of that vessel did an excellent job with conflicting specifications. "I want it to look like a sword. And also an axe. Oooh, and a gothic cathedral too!"
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Ever been part of a 100+ battleship fleet trying to burn out of bubbles while being massacred by doomsday weapons from a dozen titans (because you had a goonswarm spy in exactly the wrong role in your alliance)?  You should try it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The Enterprise A was and still is the most attractive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.bL9q_D7CAASrN1HTGwEZfAHaKe?w=129&h=183&c=7&o=5&dpr=2&pid=1.7

Repurposed and recycled Battleship, as mother fucking hippie as it can get.
View Quote

Star Blazers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Attention space nerds!

You will love this one.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Always thought a scaled up Defiant class would be cool. Massive armament, compact design, highly maneuverable and regenerative shields/armor. No holodecks, no creature comforts just a no-holds, kick ass spaceship to show the Federation means business.

Yes, yes TV/movies and the desire of the leftist writers but come on. A bunch of hostile races and you keep sending what essentially is the Love Boat around. One reason why I enjoyed DS9 is they understood the storyline needed to show the Federation had serious offensive capabilities without all the sissy shit.

I know, I know.......neeeeeeeeeeerds!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Always thought a scaled up Defiant class would be cool. Massive armament, compact design, highly maneuverable and regenerative shields/armor. No holodecks, no creature comforts just a no-holds, kick ass spaceship to show the Federation means business.

Yes, yes TV/movies and the desire of the leftist writers but come on. A bunch of hostile races and you keep sending what essentially is the Love Boat around. One reason why I enjoyed DS9 is they understood the storyline needed to show the Federation had serious offensive capabilities without all the sissy shit.

I know, I know.......neeeeeeeeeeerds!!
View Quote

I've only seen partial shots. But the Nimitz Class from... Sigh STD kinda looks like a child of a marriage between a Defiant class and a Prometheus class.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Star Trek sexually transmitted disease really should have been set after TNG, Voyager and DS9. It seems the writers have acknowledged that in the third season. In the stupidest fashion possible. But at least they are halfheartedly acknowledging their mistakes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Literally a movie about hippies in space:

Silent Running
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Having participated in SHIPtember I think that’s a good place to look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top