Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
And yes my child is perfectly healthy with no chromosomal or health issues. If you marry late like I did, have a child late, I had her at age 52, then you get extra money. PLus have the child with a young wife so she can legally cash in too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If they're saying the reserves will run out in 2034, I'd wager it will actually happen in 2026.  If not sooner.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As long as old people vote, social security won’t go anywhere. They will just jack up SS rates on those still in the work force.
View Quote
I think it will become needs based at some point like other welfare programs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I want my money back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
There should be a way to opt out completely.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"assets" "reserves"

You keep using these words...
View Quote
Seriously eh.... do people not realize those are "IOUs"...aka poof...gone a good 30 years ago
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Step 1:

Immediately stop transferring funds from ordinary social security to "supplemental" social security (SSI).

Step 2:

Clean out the fraudulent recipients of SSI which is a huge percentage.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Can I instead redirect the money I would give to SS to my retirement savings? Since at least that will be there when I want to retire.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can I instead redirect the money I would give to SS to my retirement savings? Since at least that will be there when I want to retire.
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They’ll do away with income caps.

Then apply means testing.

At that point there’s no hiding that it’s simply wealth redistribution. armed robbery
View Quote
FIFY

No matter how hard FBHO tried, he could never beat the damage FDR did.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't wait until the gold bugs get hit with the return of EO 6102.
View Quote
I don't think EO 6102 v2.0 will be as easy as the original. Tough crowd and all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't get too worked up about non-citizens that actually paid into the systems receiving benefits. That is normal in most industrialized countries.

Or, to paraphrase Star Wars, "these are not the non-citizens you are looking for."
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When you reach SS age, at least 62, you not only get your age 62 SS but your minor chlldren get 1/2 of your FULL SS RETIREMENT, AGE 66.6 for me, even though you quit working at age 62!!!. This is tax and deduction free. She/we receive this until age 19.

But it gets better....my wife who is far from SS age, gets THE SAME 1/2 OF MY FULL SS RETIREMENT. The law states she gets this " to care for my minor child". My net worth is around  a million dollar with no debt and payed for home... yet the law provides SS payments to my wife to take care of my 10 year old!!! She gets this until our child is 16.

Yes..its all legal....yes it is a legal scam. Yes I'm taking the fucking money.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just stop SDI/SSDI
View Quote
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You won't be so glad then as you think you will.
View Quote
Wat
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I will get shafted at age 76.  That's nice.

This story definitely tilts the scale toward filing as early as possible.  I'll turn 62 in 1 year and 8 months.  I have easily enough in savings to stay afloat until then without digging much into principal.

View Quote
We're almost the same age. I'm vacillating as to when to retire as well.

Most of my coworkers wait until full retirement to get the extra 8%. They also have savings and stuff.

My parents died in abject poverty, I have not good financial role models except for watching my coworkers, who come from a different social class than me, and I try to do more of what the successful ones do and less of what the financial failures do.

I have savings but don't want to deplete them by having to provide health insurance for myself.

I am considering leaving my current field and getting a job just for the health insurance and benefits. My spouse has such a job, I could work there.

Not sure if that makes sense either. It seems like planning around SSI is a sure road to poverty.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Where’s my opt out option? Seriously, I will agree to never collect if you stop raping me every time I get paid.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get rid of early retirement at 62 and watch the magic happen.
View Quote
There are a lot of fields that are impractical to work to 65 or 70. Heck in my field the department is staffed almost entirely by old fossils fixing to retire. That's one reason I want to quit. Working with a bunch of old fucks that have done the same thing for 40 years leaves a lot to be desired. It's but one reason our lab is stuck in the dark ages.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously eh.... do people not realize those are "IOUs"...aka poof...gone a good 30 years ago
View Quote
Most under 40s know SS was always a redistribution scheme.

I'm curious to see the tipping point when the older half will be forced to admit it at the polls, and what that will do to their politics.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
W wanted to fix it, kind of.
View Quote
Came here to post this.  Even with all of his faults, he wanted to reform the system and allow privitazation of at least part of it.  I remember him saying it in a State of the Union address and all of the Dems there chanted no in unison.  After 9/11, all chances were gone.

I believe that in the 60s and 70s, his father was for winding down and ending Social Security as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's adorable. Just a year or so before I become eligible.

But I'm not that worried about it, been contributing since 15 yrs old and I've been paying at the max SS withholding for years so I can assure you that one way or another I'm getting my fucking money.
View Quote
Oh you think the amount you put in guarantees that you get something out?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All the money they already pissed away on discretionary spending is still there in the form of an IOU backed by the full faith and credit of the US gov't. Don't think of it like they spent everything they had left over every year, think of it as being invested in government bonds.
View Quote
You mean, backed by the force of the US govt to tax the living shit out of the US taxpayer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I heard on the radio that SS will run out of money in 2033, that makes my choice easy when the time comes. I also heard in the same breath that Medicare will run out of money in the next 10 years. I would put the cost of medical expenses way beyond SS.  Overall we are screwed in the next 15 years.

People living off EBT/Medicare/SSID are starting to live better than your average joe. This will create more people that will become “takers” and the less that will be “givers.”  Eventually no matter how much you bring home the Gov will take it all “for the people.”

I have paid into the system for over 30 years, I would prefer they do away with SS as a percentage based option but if they gave me the choice I would deny my future benifits to invest my money towards MY retirement and not someone else’s.

(My percentage would be based on the number of years I put into the system divided by 62, This is giving the Gov at least 12 years free. I doubt many worked and paid into SS before the age of 12. Now take the money I would receive at 62 and multiply it by the percentage calculated above.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t follow, if net income is total income minus expenses but before payouts then how have they NOT been depleting reserves. Money tree?
View Quote
Because the reserves are, and always have been, an accounting fiction.

They're IOUs issued to themselves.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If Social Security only payed to those who put in, there would not be a problem.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If Social Security only payed to those who put in, there would not be a problem.
View Quote
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/social-security-to-tap-reserves-to-cover-2018-benefits

The total costs of Social Security will exceed total income this year for the first time since 1982, according to the annual Social Security and Medicare trustees report released on Tuesday, as funds for Medicare are expected to run dry earlier than expected.

While costs have exceeded net income since 2010, this is the first time in more than three decades that spending is expected to outweigh total income, by about $2 billion, meaning asset reserves will decline. Asset reserves as of 2017 were $2.9 trillion.

The trustees forecast that 100% of benefits will be covered through 2034, after which the trust funds for Social Security, which also cover old age and disability insurance programs, will only be able to cover about 79% of benefits.
View Quote
So it'll be funded, right up until I retire. Great.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It was invested in govt treasury bonds and the govt did what they always do when they sell govt treasury bonds, they spend the money.

They should all be put in prison for fraud.
View Quote
The reserves are a complete accounting fiction because the Redeemer of the bonds and the bondholder are the same entity.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#30]
A member posted the other day about walking into his local SS office and seeing nothing but people that were in their 30s in there. SSDI is what is breaking the back of SS.

Hell, many states will walk the deadbeats through the process just to get them on SSDI because it gets them off the state's roles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you reach SS age, at least 62, you not only get your age 62 SS but your minor chlldren get 1/2 of your FULL SS RETIREMENT, AGE 66.6 for me, even though you quit working at age 62!!!. This is tax and deduction free. She/we receive this until age 19.

But it gets better....my wife who is far from SS age, gets THE SAME 1/2 OF MY FULL SS RETIREMENT. The law states she gets this " to care for my minor child". My net worth is around  a million dollar with no debt and payed for home... yet the law provides SS payments to my wife to take care of my 10 year old!!! She gets this until our child is 16.

Yes..its all legal....yes it is a legal scam. Yes I'm taking the fucking money.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/not-mad-amazed-516822.gif
I should have had mine later
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We're almost the same age. I'm vacillating as to when to retire as well.

Most of my coworkers wait until full retirement to get the extra 8%. They also have savings and stuff.

My parents died in abject poverty, I have not good financial role models except for watching my coworkers, who come from a different social class than me, and I try to do more of what the successful ones do and less of what the financial failures do.

I have savings but don't want to deplete them by having to provide health insurance for myself.

I am considering leaving my current field and getting a job just for the health insurance and benefits. My spouse has such a job, I could work there.

Not sure if that makes sense either. It seems like planning around SSI is a sure road to poverty.
View Quote
You may know that the bump for delaying is approximately 8% per year.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
NI
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At that point there’s no hiding that it’s simply wealth redistribution.
View Quote
yeah but fuck vigorous enforcement of SSDI fraud.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pay the fucking stolen money back with interest assholes. Problem solved.
View Quote
As long as we are making wild requests, I'd like to be the placekicker for the New England Patriots.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The reserves that were raided and spent decades ago to buy votes?
View Quote
Yep! There was no trust fund since 1969. This is nothing more than a scam. They publish a report that says you have money, but the money was spent. Maddock anyone?

Yet, if you are the government, it is legal. Not sure how that works,, but no one will go to jail for it.

The bottom line is that the money has been spent long ago. They simply added it to the Federal Deficit, but in reality, no one owes the debt. Think of it this way. Take $20 from your left pocket and put it into your right and then spend it. Using government rules, your left pocket has an asset that is owed by your right pocket of $20 plus interest. That is our SS scam. and

All and I mean all SS is paid from current taxes and we have been running a deficit on that for a long time. They will never stop until the system crashes. The system will not crash unless the people lose faith in the government. Since the right is growing stronger, there is in theory more faith in the government.

Such is life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

At that point there’s no hiding that it’s simply wealth redistribution.
View Quote
True!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#38]
11 million on SSDI
$1200 a mo. Average payout

$13 Billion a year.

Research admits its insurance for the unemployable.  Eligibility doesn't have to come from an MD appraisal.  Lesser scribes and pharissees can do.

ETA it is the SSDI that is broke but in the real world that's a technicality
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How long before they implement a means test?  "Oh, you have another retirement, well you don't need SS then.  Thanks for paying into it though, sucker."
View Quote
They actually have already. Your SS is taxed after you earn specific amounts of additional income. This is the first part of means testing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#40]
LOL.

SS isn’t going anywhere. The money isn’t going to run out.

You don’t hear about welfare benefits running out of money do you?

SS is just another entitlement to keep the masses happy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I never count SS in my retirement planning.  My biggest fear is that they steal from our private retirement accounts.  That is why I am bullish on bulldozers
View Quote
Mine also. This is why we developed multiple sources of income for retirement.

What gets me are those who avoid the taxes all their lives by self - employment and then complain they have so little SS to live on.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You mean raiding 401ks, IRA's in the form of legislation after the next stock market crash that says a portion of those MUST be in Treasury notes since they can be "guaranteed."
View Quote
Yes he does. They have been after the 401Ks since Clinton was in office.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I thought I read somewhere that about 50% of Europeans money goes to taxes.
View Quote
In France if you pay all your taxes, it is 105% for those who make $100,000 euros per year. I would guess that cheating is a thing there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
2034?  So I'm going to start drawing at age 70 and when I'm 79, they'll cut benefits?  That's just wonderful!  
View Quote
This is why you start at 62.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The scary part is that the Social Security Trust fund is the largest holder of U.S. debt. Wrap your head around that.
View Quote
This is why people in the know, don't really worry about the debt. Of the $20 Trillion about half or more is owned by the government. Not so much is owned by other countries.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As Milton Friedman said, Social Security isn’t a retirement scheme, It is a bad welfare scheme and a bad tax scheme sold as a retirement scheme.
View Quote
One of the many reasons I consider him a genius.

If we want to maintain SS, there are three solutions: increase taxes/contributions, reduce benefits, and/or add a bunch of workers via immigration or a massive change in the birth rate.

Choose one or a combination of the three.

As it stands thus far, SS is not sound (and has never been sound) from an actuarial perspective.  No insurance company would ever be permitted to sell such a scheme because the payouts plus the costs exceed the tax revenue unless you have a continuously growing work force.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Gingrich?
View Quote
Johnson in 1969
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's all I got for retirement. I hope it is still there...
View Quote
I hope your are joking.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I get three deposits from SS each month.

My age 62 SS deposit.

My 10 year old daughter's SS deposit

My 38 year old wife's SS deposit for " taking care of my minor child"

Yup three deposits each month. Over $40,000 a year just from SS.

Fucking God Bless America!!!
View Quote
Lol typical
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top