Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2022 11:24:54 AM EDT
When their mail stopped arriving about a week ago, residents on a neat block near the beach on the west side of Los Angeles County were perplexed.

At first, said Charlotte Jay, “I just thought I hadn’t got any.” A day or so passed. She was expecting a certified letter. Then a neighbor tipped her off: Their mail was suspended.

Jay added, “I was like: ‘What?’”

The disruption had been explained in a letter from the United States Postal Service, but some residents said they had not initially received or seen it.

According to the note, delivery service had been halted to “all addresses located on the 1300 block of 14th Street” following multiple “assaults and threats of assault” against postal workers by a person in the neighborhood.

“The safety of our employees and the mail they deliver to you is our highest concern,” the letter said, adding that until service was resumed, residents could collect their mail at a nearby post office.

“The entire block? It’s an extreme measure,” Jay, a stock trader, said Tuesday afternoon outside her apartment, where she had just returned from a walk with her brown terrier mix.

She added: “I was shocked, and I was angry.”

Service to the area resumed Tuesday, but the episode has left lingering questions of residents’ expectation of mail delivery, one of the few remaining constants in a world upended (and hastened to anger) by the coronavirus pandemic. It has also brought into focus the right to safety for postal workers who, like other essential workers, have battled through the past two years, hand delivering the nation’s letters, bills and paychecks, day in and out.

The police confirmed that on Jan. 19, a man assaulted a mail carrier in Santa Monica with a broomstick.

“The victim sustained a minor injury to his arm and did not require medical attention,” the Santa Monica Police Department said in a statement.

Though the Postal Service has cited episodes involving “three separate letter carriers” in Santa Monica, the police said that they had received information about only one an attack.

A suspect was arrested and charged in the Jan. 19 assault, the police said, but those charges were later dropped after the victim decided not to proceed. That same suspect was arrested on April 6 on unrelated charges of “misdemeanor vandalism and possession of drug paraphernalia,” the police said.

The police said authorities were trying to locate other postal workers who may have been victims as part of their continuing investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/someone-attacked-postal-worker-then-121059112.html

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Only the USPS would send a LETTER telling people that mail service is suspended...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only the USPS would send a LETTER telling people that mail service is suspended...
View Quote

They sent one...but refused to deliver it...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
One time I got a letter from UPS telling me that they couldn't deliver the package because my address didn't exist.  I went do to the terminal with the letter to get my package and ask how they thought sending a letter to a supposedly non-existent address was a good idea?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure that the whole block was all "I didn't see nuthin'!"

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]
And then a dupe happened.

And nobody noticed.

And nobody cared.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
clean up yo block
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]

There was a documentary that showed this....
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
clean up yo block
View Quote
This. "Accidents" happen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One time I got a letter from UPS telling me that they couldn't deliver the package because my address didn't exist.  I went do to the terminal with the letter to get my package and ask how they thought sending a letter to a supposedly non-existent address was a good idea?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did they respond?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Give me a mail truck, uniforms for myself and two friends and immunity for all three, and this will stop tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#11]
damn I remember the days when we didn't have all this degeneracy going on
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll bet its a homeless bum causing the trouble. The article was pretty lite on details.
A deranged, mentally ill feral human causing trouble.
Thanks Gavin Newsome! ( you piece of shit)
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll bet its a homeless bum causing the trouble. The article was pretty lite on details.
View Quote

This. Allow the postman to carry and use a large can of Sabre Red as needed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. Allow the postman to carry and use a large can of Sabre Red firearm as needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Allow the postman to carry and use a large can of Sabre Red firearm as needed.

fify
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s a sure was to get the grandma’s and Karen’s to solve the problem.  They know who is doing it, just afraid to say anything.  Get between them and the check or mail, thems fighting words.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was told my then 80 year old address didn't exist. When I proved it existed, they told me it "appeared vacant." Had to explain to them multiple times that it was a split-address townhome, and I lived on the second floor and the first floor was being renovated. Mail carrier simply looked into the first floor windows and decided no one lived there.

I detest the postal service.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Then a worker declined to press charges. Honk honk
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's a sure was to get the grandma's and Karen's to solve the problem.  They know who is doing it, just afraid to say anything.  Get between them and the check or mail, thems fighting words.
View Quote
Lol, ain't it the truth. My 90 yo Mom looks at the mail being delivered like a kid views Christmas morning!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
damn I remember the days when we didn't have all this degeneracy going on
View Quote

This kind of stuff is older than any living person
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
clean up yo block
View Quote

The cops arrested the perp and the fucking postman decided to not proceed with charges. Then they decide to not deliver the mail. Fuck the USPS.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I bitched the mail lady out over the junk mail she puts in my mail box so many times she refuses to deliver my mail at all.  win-win in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]

I hope so. I would have stopped it twice if I were the postmaster.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Newman!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I sweat the show the “PJ’s” had a story about this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Has there been a picture of the crazy guy yet? I notice a lack of any identity in the stories I've seen.
Is this a case of if there is no description, that is the description?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Goodfellas-Mailman.jpg

There was a documentary that showed this....
View Quote

Because a certain postman delivered mail from a certain school to a certain kids house, they threatened to shove him in a pizza oven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was a letter carrier for the USPS, thankfully my postmaster took care of his people. It didn't take much for him to suspend delivery for an address or a whole block if it was unsafe for a letter carrier to be there.

There was a shit-bag who let his aggressive shit-bull run loose because he wouldn't fix his fence. The postmaster suspended delivery for that street. People complained and were basically told "sorry, your neighbor is letting his dangerous dog run loose and until the issue is taken care of, no delivery to your street".

Within a week, the fence was fixed and the dog was no longer a problem. Imagine that...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And then a dupe happened.

And nobody noticed.

And nobody cared.
View Quote

I really don't care, do you?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Give me a mail truck, uniforms for myself and two friends and immunity for all three, and this will stop tomorrow.
View Quote

Probably over a decade ago, but a national chain pizza joint refused deliveries in a particular zone. They tried to mitigate the complaints by agreeing to meet at the nearest convenience store, or some well traveled intersection. The uproar made by the poverty pimp coalition brought them bad media attention. So, they had cops do ‘ride alongs’ on the suspect calls. It took a half dozen arrests, one of which involved a shooting, and problem solved. It was a 30 day detail, put on 20 plus pounds eating free pizza.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Updated USPS creed released:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor threats of a good ass whoopin' stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#33]
The USMC has solved this problem before.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Updated USPS creed released:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor threats of a good ass whoopin' stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
View Quote
Postal workers union lols at actual work

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was told my then 80 year old address didn't exist. When I proved it existed, they told me it "appeared vacant." Had to explain to them multiple times that it was a split-address townhome, and I lived on the second floor and the first floor was being renovated. Mail carrier simply looked into the first floor windows and decided no one lived there.

View Quote

So, the mailman was supposed to get a ladder and peak through the upstairs windows?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This. Allow the postman to carry and use a large can of Sabre Red as needed.
View Quote

Why not use a REAL saber?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So, the mailman was supposed to get a ladder and peak through the upstairs windows?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The postage is paid. He should stuff it in the box like he's being paid to do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Probably over a decade ago, but a national chain pizza joint refused deliveries in a particular zone. They tried to mitigate the complaints by agreeing to meet at the nearest convenience store, or some well traveled intersection. The uproar made by the poverty pimp coalition brought them bad media attention. So, they had cops do ‘ride alongs’ on the suspect calls. It took a half dozen arrests, one of which involved a shooting, and problem solved. It was a 30 day detail, put on 20 plus pounds eating free pizza.
View Quote

North St. Louis?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Remember under Obama the USPS was getting Hugh deliveries of gov ordered ammo.
Obviously they can’t do anything other than shoot targets and choke their chickens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top