Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 12:42:55 PM EDT
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/south-carolinian-faced-115-years-in-prison-until-atf-admitted-they-got-the-wrong-man/

Holy shit.

Eventually, a Federal Public Defender was allowed in and showed Wilson a copy of an indictment, which charged him with five counts of possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and three counts of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense.

Wilson faced up to 115 years in a federal penitentiary and more than $17 million in fines. The indictment also sought to forfeit unspecified personal property and money. Wilson had never been arrested in his life. He repeatedly told his lawyer he was innocent and that there had to be some sort of mistake.

Wilson was ushered into a courtroom and arraigned before a U.S. Magistrate Judge, who read the charges off of the indictment. An agent falsely testified that the ATF had Wilson under surveillance for the past 13 months. The agent listed several dates when Wilson allegedly sold drugs to undercover ATF agents. He claimed they had Wilson on tape committing the crimes, and that other codefendants had been arrested as well.

Wilson pleaded not guilty. The judge was willing to schedule a bond, but prosecutors wanted Wilson held for several days instead.

According to court documents, from November 2022 to March 2023 West Columbia Police Officers Calvin Brown and David Thompson – who were assigned to an ATF task force and supposedly working under ATF supervision – “conducted a series of gun and drug purchases from (among others) someone they identified as Mr. Wilson.”

No documentation exists about the process or how this happened, but eventually the ATF somehow realized they got the wrong man. Prosecutors quickly moved to dismiss the case, but they offered no written explanation as to why they wanted the charges dropped.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna get paid I hope.

All those people should be fired and de-certed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:
Gonna get paid I hope.

View Quote

In lieu of a money settlement, I’d ask the judge to let me with a baseball bat and one of the POS at a time in a room alone for ten minutes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea why public opinion for law enforcement is so low  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope he gets millions for this bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#6]
Originally Posted By d16man:
That case was paraded locally when all the arrests and gun/drugs shown.  It has been mums the word since.
View Quote

Neither prosecutors nor the ATF allowed Wilson’s false arrest to dampen their enthusiasm for what they described in a press release as an “advanced, intelligence-based, multi-faceted law enforcement operation.”

According to the press release, 210 firearms were seized and 20 people were arrested, including “members of the Bloods, Crips, and Gangster Disciple street gangs.” Neither Wilson nor his false arrest were mentioned in the press release.

Were it not for the heads-up play of a Federal Public Defender, Wilson would likely still be in jail alongside 20 alleged gang members. It is not known if ATF agents were ever able to track down the suspect whom they mistook for Wilson, who actually sold them drugs and guns.
](Nor do we know if such a person ever existed)

We will never know all of the allegations that the ATF made against Wilson or the details. Their federal complaint was quickly sealed and is no longer available to the public. However, the allegations Wilson’s attorney included in his civil suit are eerily similar to the allegations ATF made about Bryan Malinowski, the 53-year-old Arkansas airport executive whom ATF agents shot and killed in his home March 19.

Civil Suit(s)

Earlier this month, Wilson filed a federal civil-rights lawsuit against the two West Columbia Police Officers who falsely alleged he sold them guns and drugs while they were working as task force officers for the ATF.

A second civil rights lawsuit against the ATF is extremely likely.

Veronica Hill, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina said she cannot comment about the case because Wilson has filed an administrative claim against the government – a prelude to a civil suit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
View Quote

I try not to confuse cocksucking pieces of federal task farce with law enforcement officers.

Once upon a time, I thought USMS Fugitive Task Farces were different from the rest, but then James King came along.
I really have no excuse for previously giving USMS a pass. After all, it was USMS who murdered Sammy Weaver in 1992, not ATF or FBI.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

I try not to confuse cocksucking pieces of federal task farce with law enforcement officers.

Once upon a time, I thought USMS Fugitive Task Farces were different from the rest, but then James King came along.
I really have no excuse for previously giving USMS a pass. After all, it was USMS who murdered Sammy Weaver in 1992, not ATF or FBI.
View Quote

Hate to say it but I agree. The guys who go TFO (task force officer) tend to think they are somehow "better" than everyone else when in reality they just kiss ass. I had one tell me the other day that YES, he kissed ass to get ahead, and he was good at it because of his time doing it in the peivate sector. According to him, the reason I never got promoted/ special units is because I thought just beig honest and good at my job was enough.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Good week for isolated incidents!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Except they're not "isolated".
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Trust the government.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#13]
The old DOJ, USAO, or CAUSA, would have hung the two task force officers for presenting such a clown show of incompetence. When I sent my people to a USJ to get a criminal arrest warrant, the judge almost always asked what time that afternoon we anticipated having the person in our, or USM custody. Things have changed haven’t they.

We learned not to obtain a warrant on Friday afternoon, or we’d be working and searching all weekend. We’d still get one if we had to…but we knew what the judge expected of us. Crossing a USJ, 10-15 years ago, was a hugely bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna get paid I hope.
View Quote

Better (all involved parties) if found guilty or complacent in railroading him; a Russian/Chinese perp walk.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Gonna get paid I hope.

All those people should be fired and de-certed arrested and imprisoned.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ0311] [#16]
I don’t understand how the Feds don't have something similar to Texas’ Michael Morton Act
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Gonna get paid I hope.

View Quote

Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
View Quote

Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I hope he gets millions for this bullshit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Am I in before the underscores preaching about the DOJ being above board?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:
Am I in before the underscores preaching about the DOJ being above board?
View Quote

nah. but this whole fiasco is inappropriate and reaffirms why many don’t trust LE or the gov. and even when innocent, takes $$$$$ out of your pocket to prove that, with zero repercussions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
This is how you get Killdozers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Get rid of qualified immunity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Get rid of qualified immunity.
View Quote

If you're on a federal task force, the United States Attorney / DOJ can assert sovereign immunity on your behalf and make you as court-proof as Lon Horiuchi.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Officers Calvin Brown and David Thompson and everyone involved with this BS ought to be personally serving 115 years each and every material possession they own, to include pensions/retirement, turned over the the falsely accused.  They can put them in general population too.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wvfarrier] [#25]
The civil suit will get quashed.  Officers on a task force are essentially lawsuit proof
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#26]
many PDs send only their problem children to amalgamated task forces
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

In lieu of a money settlement, I’d ask the judge to let me with a baseball bat and one of the POS at a time in a room alone for ten minutes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FMJ0311:
I don’t understand how the Feds don't have something similar to Texas’ Michael Morton Act
View Quote

I’m embarrassed I knew nothing about this case.  In my defense I had a lot going on during that time going through a divorce.  Thank you for calling this to my attention.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Hopefully everyone involved loses their jobs, their families, and their sanity and ends life sucking dick behind a Walmart parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#31]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
The civil suit will get quashed.  Officers on a task force are essentially lawsuit proof
View Quote

Not necessarily correct, as they are then amenable to a Bivens action.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#32]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
View Quote

Section 242 of Title 18 makes it a crime for a person acting under color of any law to willfully deprive a person of a right or privilege protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Section 242 of Title 18 makes it a crime for a person acting under color of any law to willfully deprive a person of a right or privilege protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
View Quote

I'm sure the DoJ will get right on investigating the DoJ.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sick and tired of it.

Everyone involved needs jail time themselves, and have their personal assets seized as restitution.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
The home office gets all jervous and nerky when I give my opinions on such matters.  
View Quote

Balls, one of you need them...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Officers Calvin Brown and David Thompson and everyone involved with this BS ought to be personally serving 115 years each and every material possession they own, to include pensions/retirement, turned over the the falsely accused.  They can put them in general population too.  
View Quote

With COP tattooed on their forehead.
Top Top