BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 461
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

You think maybe a flame trench and water deluge system might have been prudent?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ILfreedom:

You joined Arf in 2008. I joined in 2023. I'm failing to see the difference here. Is there some unspoken rule on longevity of accounts I don't understand?
View Quote

Just watching the trend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I'm starting to wonder if that's totaled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe NASA made an error in awarding the moon lander contract to Spacex. Starship requires 8 to 10 orbital refuelings in earth LEO to get to lunar orbit and then take the astronauts down to the surface. NASA isn't going to let men ride on that ship until it has a safety record at least as good as the Falcon 9.

Instead, Starship should just do unmanned cargo flights to deposit everything you need on the lunar surface to build a lunar base. Let some other company do the actual landings and then those astronauts can unload the cargo starship.

View Quote

Of the two other quotes, 1 was impossible (the math didn't add up) and the other was like 10 billion dollars with requiring another $1 billion SLS launch.  AKA the other options blew.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snakes19] [#7]
View Quote

oh boy that is not a "just fill it in with dirt" fix, those columns look rough

wonder how many cubic yards of material this rocket dug out there
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Just watching the trend.
View Quote

I'll make my trend more obvious. I support aid to Ukraine, I'll vote for Desantis if he runs, I won't vote for Trump. Have I cleared that trend up for you?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I'm thinking a lot of shit broke loose inside.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Yeah, that things done.  Even if it's structurally sound, they'll still have to build up platform for a flame trench and all, and re-installing that is probably more expensive than building a new one.  I expect the launch tower will be getting a couple sections added in the middle of it as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By snakes19:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakes19:

Photoshop Elon in this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Thats not how it works.  Congress funds each program.  They dont give a lump sum to NASA and say 'have fun ya'll.'  If youre going to criticize, learn how things are actually funded.
View Quote

Congress apportions monies to federal agencies,  those agencies obligate it,  if something runs more than is apportioned the money doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#17]

10 pmag bet that Starship won't be the lander that puts astronauts on the moon. Ante up. We have plenty of time to wait on this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I don't think you understand it at all.  SpaceX did not get the HLS contract because they were the low bidder.  They got the contract because they were the only bidder to submit an actual design that could work.  Both of the other bids were basically "We kind of have an idea, but couldn't be bothered to fully develop it - so just give us a ton of money and maybe we'll build something someday."  The Dynetics bid was basically of a design that couldn't work (because it didn't meet the mass requirements of the contract), and would have to be re-designed and the Blue Origin team bid basically admitted up front that their design didn't work and promised to design something new after they got the bid.  Keep in mind, both Dynetics and the Blue Origin team were each given way more money by NASA up front to develop lander designs for the bid than SpaceX was given.  Blue Origin was given almost $600 million up front, Dynetics was given $250 million up front, and SpaceX was given about $130 million - and guess who was the only company to actually come up with a realistic design?    

I also don't think you understand how SpaceX operates.  This was the first TEST (of many) of an EXPERIMENTAL vehicle.  There are going to be tons and tons of tests, as they slowly iterate their way towards the final version.  Once they have the final version, THEN they will start working more on reliability and safety and start worrying about getting it man-rated.  Lots of Falcons blew up as the Falcon 9 was being developed, and now it is the ONLY man-rated rocket built by a US company and used by NASA.  Why would Starship be any different?  They are still in the very early stages.

To immediately start clutching pearls and wringing hands about how people should never be on a fully developed Starship, just because a super-early test vehicle didn't work perfectly - missed the entire point of how the development process works.

10 pmag bet that Starship won't be the lander that puts astronauts on the moon. Ante up. We have plenty of time to wait on this.

You'd probably need a clause that states "if either of us dies, the bet is off".

Because I suspect that once Elon is no longer useful to the feds (i.e. when they get another vendor who can launch their satellites), they're gonna do their best to screw him in any way possible.    If that happens, we may be waiting a LONG time before any lunar landing happens.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Enough launches and you will have a flame diverter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm quite aware of the process and understood that astronauts were only riding the Starship from lunar orbit down.  But it's a waste to do this when Starship is more ideally designed as an autonomous cargo ship. I saw the first lunar landing when I was 12 years old. I'd like to see another one before I croak. Starship is not that answer.
View Quote

NASA and SpaceX disagree with you. You state your opinion as if it were fact. LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By realwar:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By realwar:

enough launches and the Chinese Army can walk on in to the US.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

NASA and SpaceX disagree with you. You state your opinion as if it were fact. LOL!!!!
View Quote

Has Nasa ever made bad decisions in their history? My opinion is this is one of them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Gosh, that launchpad is FUBAR'd for sure.
Dumb question, since there's no way to dig a trench because of the high water table, and they can't build a huge hill because of reasons, could they fill in/repair all the missing concrete, and then just cover the whole area with 1" thick steel plate?  Or would that just melt and then you'd have molten steel flying everywhere instead of concrete?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Has Nasa ever made bad decisions in their history? My opinion is this is one of them.
View Quote

Carter Racing Team.  But this isn’t one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

not building flame diverters at the least is a MASSIVE mistake on SX's part.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Conjecture from a lot of the space journalist groups, based on some of the observed hardware that's been delivered the past few months, is that SpaceX is going to be building a combination deluge/diverter system.  My understanding is that the diverter itself will be constructed of and/or actively cooled by the plumbing delivering the water to the deluge.  The water does double-duty, keeping the diverter from melting and then subsequently forming the deluge.  Apparently this is how some rocket test stands already do things, and since the high water table and already-built tower preclude a huge NASA-esque trench, it seems like a logical direction for SpaceX to move towards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Well the trench is dug!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe there's enough room under the pad to have that quarter-circle ramp with water cascading down it that they used during the tests of all five F1 engines for the Saturn V at the Marshall Space Flight Center.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:11:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#30]
Super tempted to order this and have it sent to Elon Musk c/o SpaceX, Boca Chica, TX.

https://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Pride-A3079X-FLAME-DIVERTER/dp/B01G29BCAO
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

We need pictures of the road.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By pumafish:
Conjecture from a lot of the space journalist groups, based on some of the observed hardware that's been delivered the past few months, is that SpaceX is going to be building a combination deluge/diverter system.  My understanding is that the diverter itself will be constructed of and/or actively cooled by the plumbing delivering the water to the deluge.  The water does double-duty, keeping the diverter from melting and then subsequently forming the deluge.  Apparently this is how some rocket test stands already do things, and since the high water table and already-built tower preclude a huge NASA-esque trench, it seems like a logical direction for SpaceX to move towards.
View Quote
The problem is not just the heat energy, its the energy of the massive amount of 'stuff' hitting the diverter.  Its like a garden hose spraying at dirt.  Its Oroville Dam 2: Raptor Boogaloo
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy moly... looks like a war zone.

I think they are going to have to come up with a new plan for the launch mount and flame diverter. I think that level of damage and plan mitigation will take them a year before the next launch.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#35]

From NSF Forum

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]

This makes the whole belly flop landing seem less insane.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
The high water table doesn't really preclude a trench, it just means they would have to sheetpile and pump it, then keep it full of water so it doesn't float

Expensive but not uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ScaryBlackGuns:

View All Quotes

That image is sideways I think
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

It's gonna need a paint job and a shitload of screen doors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:

It's gonna need a paint job and a shitload of screen doors.
View Quote

Nah I need a butt load of flowable fill and she ll be all set.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: double_trouble_2003] [#41]
Great slow motion shot of the launch.  

Pause at 12 seconds, large, flaming debris to the right of Starship and pause again at 15 seconds, to the left of Starship, going higher / faster than the ship, out of frame.

ETA: Not sure what's up with posting a tweet.  (Brownelled)
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Remove the "?" and everything after it in the link
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Remove the "?" and everything after it in the link
View Quote

Thanks brother!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Starbase Rover 2.0 Cam SpaceX Starship Launch Complex

Go to 7:05 am, the drone rolls in to inspect the burning(?) venting(?) BQD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:

Pause at 12 seconds, large, flaming debris to the right of Starship and pause again at 15 seconds, to the left of Starship, going higher / faster than the ship, out of frame.

View Quote

Makes it even more impressive that it still launched and so many engines remained online.

Looks like it was taking off in a veritable blender (of its own making).
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:

View Quote

whomever said a piece of debris damaged engines is probably correct.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pumafish:
View Quote
not conjecture as they were labeled parts
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#50]
What a time to be alive!
Page / 461
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top