BCM
User Panel

Page / 496
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's a damn fine lookin rocket. Is it just me or do these things look better with every iteration?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#3]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

That's a damn fine lookin rocket. Is it just me or do these things look better with every iteration?
View Quote

I don't care for the looks of the hot staging ring. Makes it look like a potential point of failure. Other than that, yeah. The chines look like they belong there and it's typical that a vehicle going through rapid design iterations looks more refined with every new version.

As I keep saying. One of the most distinctive things about Starship is its looks. Especially compared to the Space Shuttle which, at least when sitting on the launch pad. Looked like a bunch of random stuff glued together.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#5]
Chopsticks are moving into place now. Is it too windy for a lift today? Tropical Storm nearby and all?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I dunno.  It somehow looks more robust than the N1 design to me.  But, I also know nothing!  
View Quote

It’s certainly much smaller than N1s open area. But N1 wasn’t exactly the most reliable rocket ever built, was it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

It’s certainly much smaller than N1s open area. But N1 wasn’t exactly the most reliable rocket ever built, was it?
View Quote

Sure, but was the lattice actually a failure mode on the N1?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

View Quote

Probably be easier to list the things that actually worked on that thing the… 3? Times they tried to fly it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
They are going to run out of room to lift the ship into it if it gets any taller.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
got a bit of rain where I am at - looks like the depression went straight over them.  Bet it was a wet night.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
lift

Starbase Live: 24/7 Starship & Super Heavy Development From SpaceX's Boca Chica Facility
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
wonder why they're wrapped up

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
wonder why they're wrapped up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4Kzo24XYAEaqsj?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Since they have changed the design of the booster, I imagine they will have to do quite a bit of testing of the entire stack, once Starship is mounted on top - making sure they structure is strong, will hold when everything is fuelled up, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps one full wet dress rehearsal will allow them to test all of that, so that might be all they need?  The "new" way that SpaceX is doing stuff, is just so interesting!  

View Quote
I don't think so, I think ground testing is basically done. They put a test article through its paces at Massey's. They had to have confirmed it's strength because they aren't going to risk a full stack until they're confident that it can hold up to both propellant weight and liftoff forces. It would be too costly if it failed on the pad. I think at most we'll see a LN2/LOX load test prior to the WDR.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]
lift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
View Quote

There was a dedicated commentary stream:

SpaceX Booster 9 Lifted onto the Orbital Launch Mount
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I don't think so, I think ground testing is basically done. They put a test article through its paces at Massey's. They had to have confirmed it's strength because they aren't going to risk a full stack until they're confident that it can hold up to both propellant weight and liftoff forces. It would be too costly if it failed on the pad. I think at most we'll see a LN2/LOX load test prior to the WDR.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Since they have changed the design of the booster, I imagine they will have to do quite a bit of testing of the entire stack, once Starship is mounted on top - making sure they structure is strong, will hold when everything is fuelled up, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps one full wet dress rehearsal will allow them to test all of that, so that might be all they need?  The "new" way that SpaceX is doing stuff, is just so interesting!  

The other thing is that Im sure they have a really good set of data from all the testing they have done on the booster and starship. IMO it would be much easier to add that hot staging ring that it would seem.

-No internal pressure considerations or cryo considerations.
-No need to make it thin to make room for anything
-It is only structural, no other uses. The heat shield for the booster is the only consideration beyond "it has to hold up the starship"

All it really has to be is a spacer between the mount points on the booster and the mount points on starship. Much easier than trying to add a tank or something.

Add in a bit of mechanical testing and I could see them being really confident in their evaluation and estimates.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#21]

That would be amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That would be amazing.
All bets are off if they want to kill time waiting for the license though.

I found a pic of them getting set up for testing with the can crusher.

Originally Posted By notso:

The other thing is that Im sure they have a really good set of data from all the testing they have done on the booster and starship. IMO it would be much easier to add that hot staging ring that it would seem.

-No internal pressure considerations or cryo considerations.
-No need to make it thin to make room for anything
-It is only structural, no other uses. The heat shield for the booster is the only consideration beyond "it has to hold up the starship"

All it really has to be is a spacer between the mount points on the booster and the mount points on starship. Much easier than trying to add a tank or something.

Add in a bit of mechanical testing and I could see them being really confident in their evaluation and estimates.

Good points. They have all the data from the unpressurized ship skirt and the top of the booster. They also have the data from the unpressurized booster aft section that has to take the weight of the full stack plus the thrust of the 20 outer engines. I think they're good to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

they already tested the hot staging ring on the can crusher.
It will experience more load during sep than anything it will see in launch or wet dress or even max Q I believe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

View Quote

might have been if they ever had enough engines work to make it to separation
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AJE:

This is from page 12 of this thread

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBp2JLEXoAU9k31?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

I remember when they abandoned carbon fiber and got to work in stainless steel. Those first few attempts left me saying, “really? Looks like a poorly made Buck Rogers prop.”

Doesn’t look quite so low budget anymore.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AJE:

This is from page 12 of this thread

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBp2JLEXoAU9k31?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

hopper assembled with nosecone from page 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#26]
From way back

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#28]
Road is closed.

Closure Schedule:
Alternative Date  Aug 23, 20233:00 pm to 3:00 amClosure Scheduled
Primary Date      Aug 24, 20238:00 am to 8:00 pmPossible Closure
Alternative Date  Aug 25, 20239:00 am to 9:00 pmPossible Closure
Alternative Date   Aug 28, 20238:00 am to 8:00 pmPossible Closure
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#29]
SpaceX Booster 9 Raptor Engine Testing
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 6:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#30]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Dupe
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#32]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

View Quote

Poster above beat me to posting the Engine testing live stream, dupe.

Anyhow less than 15 minutes to Spin Prime... maybe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#34]
2 weeks, guess I need to get my Jeep ready to go watch another attempt.  It is running good now - but I think I would enjoy the drive more with soundproofing and thermal insulation.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4O4ATcXIAEFgMV?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

It'd be really impressive if they actually hit anything close to that date.  At the time of the first launch, I think most people figured it'd be a miracle if they had a second launch at all before the end of this year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to go see a launch SO BAD, but the logistics of getting the whole family there, when we live 6.5 hours from S Padre, for a date that may or may not be scrubbed, is very difficult.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 7:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#37]
Know the feeling.  I am 5hrs away.  Went for the 5/19 launch.  Got there at 8pm.  Stayed up all night, only to have it scrubbed the last minute or so of the countdown.  But while I missed seeing the launch - it was fun talking to people from all over the world who had come to watch it.  I do not keep track of all the YouTube personalities, but a handful were there and other people enjoyed talking with them as well.  I met one family that few in from Germany, and a decent sized group of Canadians.  A number more that came for the East coast...

After the abort - I went back to my Jeep and took a 3hr (or so) nap as the parking lot cleared out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
So, August 31 like they predicted ?

Glad the FAA came through !
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
So, August 31 like they predicted ?

Glad the FAA came through !
View Quote
NET = Not Earlier Than. But you knew that, didn't you?

Nick
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Last time 3 or 4 of the engines failed? I'm guessing they want to make sure they can get them all going?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:34:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#43]
Less than 10 minutes to go for live comment stream:

SpaceX Booster 9 Full Duration Static Fire
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#44]
L0X tank about 4/5th full.

Starship Super Heavy Static Fire
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#45]
SpaceX live now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#46]
Sounded like full duration. On replay it was at least 5 seconds or longer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#47]
There it is!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Starship Super Heavy Static Fire
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the steam vs dust.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#50]
Musk says successful on the tweeter!
Page / 496
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top