sssh you two or you'll get this thread moved to the trucking subforum
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By high_order1:
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

Enough Fat-Shaming!!!!
sssh you two or you'll get this thread moved to the trucking subforum

Don't get me started on my mom's bad knees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Bro, the thing I'm looking at is the serialization.

300+ of these rocket engines?

Who the hell has ever built that many?

Certainly not NASA.

View Quote

First digit *might* be version.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:

View All Quotes

Certainly not NASA.

Doubtful

They have used over 150 in various test flights.

That puts enough on hand for maybe 4 more flights…
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Why mercury?
View Quote

Useful for collecting solar energy that can be re-routed throughout the solar system and beyond (via solar sails, lasers, reflectors, etc).
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Certainly not NASA.

It's not.  Some of the media groups that watch SpaceX (NSF, LabPadre, WAI, House, etc) track and follow much of the hardware being built, down to individual ring segments for the boosters.  SpaceX very definitely built over 300 Raptors.  Interestingly though, the Raptor 3 series seems to have started over at serial number 1 again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Do those who keep up with this thread think that IFT5 will happen in September?  Not a peep out of SpaceX about it since declaring on August 8 that they are "ready to fly, pending regulatory approval".  In the past, they've conducted soft pressure campaigns to urge the FAA to speed things along.  This time they seem content to just sit and wait.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
Do those who keep up with this thread think that IFT5 will happen in September?  Not a peep out of SpaceX about it since declaring on August 8 that they are "ready to fly, pending regulatory approval".  In the past, they've conducted soft pressure campaigns to urge the FAA to speed things along.  This time they seem content to just sit and wait.  
View Quote

The rocket is ready. The new tower isn’t. I think they want it further along before yeeting the old tower in a landing explosion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By woodsie:
It's sorta uncharted territory in terms of what you could build with superheavy launches that don't cost a billion dollars per shot.
View Quote

Elon with his own private Rods From God satellite system might put a crimp on the UK's enthusiasm about extraditing him over Twitter butthurt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:50:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#9]
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
View Quote

I don't think they're in any hurry, they've been modifying the arms since testing them a couple of weeks ago.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Mercury is a bit more habitable than Mars if you can stay between the light and dark sides. But the main things that it offers are resources, especially water. Combined with the energy of the sun.

The first thing that will need to be built on Mercury will be a railway track. Once that is completed other things will grow out of it. Solar reflectors can be built en mass out of it's resources. Once we have a large industrial base on the planet then we have the ability to do all manner of interesting things with the Sun's energy. Directing it away from Venus. Towards Mars, making the sun itself an engine that will allow us to take the solar system wherever we want to go.

The sheer size of these projects will demand that they take millennia. There will also be the necessity that they be managed by a computer network more sophisticated than anything we have right now. Something more evolved than most people currently alive on this planet. But I believe that this can be done and that it will give us a future well beyond most people's imaginations. Which are unfortunately mostly stuck somewhere between Mad Max and Star Trek.

Who knows, Mad Max might still be a possibility. But that won't last forever. Star Trek won't happen for a bundle of different reasons. The big one being that FTL travel is probably not something that we are ever going to crack anytime soon and even if we do. Its energy demands will probably be quite outrageous.
View Quote

Erm... not remotely.  Mercury has no atmosphere at all.  Water? Ha what water? There might be some hidden in shadowed craters at the poles but it's a fraction of what's at Mars.  

Mercury is tiny... only slightly bigger than our Moon.  Its gravity won't hold on to an atmosphere so it can't be terraformed.  Its gravity is also likely too little for Humans to live healthily.

It being so far down the Solar gravity well towards the Sun is also a problem.  Getting to it and getting back from it requires a heck ton of Delta V to slow down to get to it or speed up to go anywhere else.  Let alone the increased radiation from the Sun.  You'd have to go deep underground to be protected from it.

It isn't near many asteroids so can't be used as a convenient asteroid processing facility (like Mars can).  So no industrial base can be built there.

No the only thing Mercury might be useful for is to Dismantle it to construct a Dyson swarm from its materials.  I suppose there are a few other things materials from a dismantled Mercury could be used for... focusing solar energy into a beam for solar sail vessels for instance...
But as a place for habitation?  No Mercury is just about the worst possible place in the solar system for habitation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Delta-V to Mercury landing is ~25km/s. It's a little less to land on Ganymede, around Jupiter.

I think it might be Fraser Cain or someone else that has a massive hard-on for Mercury for some reason. Figuring out how to float on Venus sounds more appealing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#12]
On the subject of nuclear engines.

Nuclear Thermal Rockets in Sci-Fi Spacecraft

The Toxmax concept mentioned at 1:57 in this video is interesting. Lithium, fluorine and cesium 137.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
5 years ago today

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Imagine another 5
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#15]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

Mercury is tiny... only slightly bigger than our Moon.  Its gravity won't hold on to an atmosphere so it can't be terraformed.  Its gravity is also likely too little for Humans to live healthily.

View Quote

.....Mercury's surface gravity is actually the same as the surface gravity of Mars (0.38), which is more than 2x the surface gravity of Luna.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I seem to recall hearing quite some time ago that Lockheed and BWX had been issued a contract for a demonstration nuclear engine to go between here and the moon. Nuclear engines have a lot of advantages and space is already full of ionizing radiation.

I'm not an engineer in that field but I don't see how Raptor 3 can be improved. It already looks like something far beyond most current liquid rocket motors.

Getting to Mercury will probably demand a nuclear engine of some sort. In my view that rock is far more valuable than Mars will ever be.

It's going to be interesting when Musk finally opens a nuclear division. There's quite a few people who have been waiting impatiently for him to do that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Raptor 4 may be nuclear. He said raptor 3 is at the limits of physics.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I seem to recall hearing quite some time ago that Lockheed and BWX had been issued a contract for a demonstration nuclear engine to go between here and the moon. Nuclear engines have a lot of advantages and space is already full of ionizing radiation.

I'm not an engineer in that field but I don't see how Raptor 3 can be improved. It already looks like something far beyond most current liquid rocket motors.

Getting to Mercury will probably demand a nuclear engine of some sort. In my view that rock is far more valuable than Mars will ever be.

It's going to be interesting when Musk finally opens a nuclear division. There's quite a few people who have been waiting impatiently for him to do that.

The asteroids may be where some real value is.    Lots of stuff out there for the taking.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#17]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Imagine another 5
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Imagine another 5

Barring things going apocalyptic. I expect that in another 5 years will be a decent sized fleet of Starships and boosters. Regular Starship launches from Canaveral. The offshore launch platforms will probably be under construction and we will be on the cusp of another moon landing. This time to stay.

The possibilities that this will open up will be quite interesting. For all of human history we have looked up at the moon and seen a lifeless rock. What will it be like when the fingerprints of life become visible?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
Delta-V to Mercury landing is ~25km/s. It's a little less to land on Ganymede, around Jupiter.

I think it might be Fraser Cain or someone else that has a massive hard-on for Mercury for some reason. Figuring out how to float on Venus sounds more appealing.
View Quote

Map of the solar system with Delta Vs added in for each leg.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#19]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

Erm... not remotely.  Mercury has no atmosphere at all.  Water? Ha what water? There might be some hidden in shadowed craters at the poles but it's a fraction of what's at Mars.  

It being so far down the Solar gravity well towards the Sun is also a problem.  Getting to it and getting back from it requires a heck ton of Delta V to slow down to get to it or speed up to go anywhere else.  Let alone the increased radiation from the Sun.  You'd have to go deep underground to be protected from it.

It isn't near many asteroids so can't be used as a convenient asteroid processing facility (like Mars can).  So no industrial base can be built there.

No the only thing Mercury might be useful for is to Dismantle it to construct a Dyson swarm from its materials.  I suppose there are a few other things materials from a dismantled Mercury could be used for... focusing solar energy into a beam for solar sail vessels for instance...
But as a place for habitation?  No Mercury is just about the worst possible place in the solar system for habitation.
View Quote

Venus would be a much better candidate than mercury or mars. You have to think more floating cities though. You would have nearly limitless energy just by dropping some tubes and stuff in the deeper atmosphere, pressure in the upper atmo is similar to earth, gravity would allow for some level of (well i guess not terraforming more like aeroforming) It also has something of a magnetoshpere. Biggest problem is the acidic clouds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

So crazy
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

Visiting the US Rocket and Space Center in Huntsville is a bit disappointing, except for Skylab.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I walked into the training module they have on display. The volume of space inside is absolutely stunning in comparison to an Orbiter, ISS, or anything else ever launched with meat inside. Skylab is the closest we've ever come to true sci-fi space stations before...and we gave up on it.

A couple of Starships joined together and made into habs is going to really be something.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WesJanson:
Originally Posted By woodsie:
Originally Posted By Freebeer:
Elon should make his own space station.

I can't wait to see what they build with Starship launches.

Skylab is the closest thing we've ever had in terms of a space station segment similar to what Starship could put up.  People forget how much of a beast it was at 22 feet diameter.

It's sorta uncharted territory in terms of what you could build with superheavy launches that don't cost a billion dollars per shot.

Visiting the US Rocket and Space Center in Huntsville is a bit disappointing, except for Skylab.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I walked into the training module they have on display. The volume of space inside is absolutely stunning in comparison to an Orbiter, ISS, or anything else ever launched with meat inside. Skylab is the closest we've ever come to true sci-fi space stations before...and we gave up on it.

A couple of Starships joined together and made into habs is going to really be something.

Yep.  Skylab is kind of overshadowed by the ISS to a point that people forget what a supeheavy launch based space station looks like.  We haven't had the capability since the Saturn V.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Massive Chopstick Overhaul Ahead of Booster Catch | SpaceX Boca Chica
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#25]
New desktop background.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]

New communication from The FAA SpaceX Boca Chica Project Team. Basically, it's referencing the claims that SpaceX dismissed as inaccurate reporting from CNBC:
https://x.com/SpaceX/status/1823080774012481862

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) released the Draft Tiered Environmental  Assessment (Draft EA) for SpaceX’s proposal to increase the number of launches and landings of its Starship/Super Heavy Vehicle at the Boca  Chica Launch Site in Cameron County, Texas on July 29, 2024. The FAA  invited interested parties to submit comments on the Draft EA. The public comment period for the Draft EA closes on August 29, 2024.

On August 9th, 2024, the FAA became aware of allegations that SpaceX violated the Clean Water Act at the Boca Chica Launch Site. The FAA was unable to confirm the accuracy of certain representations in SpaceX’s license application and the Draft Tiered Environmental Assessment prior to the public meetings scheduled for August 13th, 15th, and 20th. As a result, the FAA chose to postpone the public meetings until these matters could be resolved.

The FAA will release a Revised Draft Tiered Environmental Assessment (Revised Draft  EA) in the future. The Revised Draft EA will be accompanied by an additional public comment period and public meetings. The dates, times,  and locations of the rescheduled public meetings will be made publicly available at least 30 days in advance of the meetings. All comments received on the Draft EA between July 29 and August 29, 2024, as well as the forthcoming Revised Draft EA will be given equal weight and be taken into consideration.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 3:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#28]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

New communication from The FAA SpaceX Boca Chica Project Team. Basically, it's referencing the claims that SpaceX dismissed as inaccurate reporting from CNBC:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) released the Draft Tiered Environmental  Assessment (Draft EA) for SpaceX’s proposal to increase the number of launches and landings of its Starship/Super Heavy Vehicle at the Boca  Chica Launch Site in Cameron County, Texas on July 29, 2024. The FAA  invited interested parties to submit comments on the Draft EA. The public comment period for the Draft EA closes on August 29, 2024.

On August 9th, 2024, the FAA became aware of allegations that SpaceX violated the Clean Water Act at the Boca Chica Launch Site. The FAA was unable to confirm the accuracy of certain representations in SpaceX’s license application and the Draft Tiered Environmental Assessment prior to the public meetings scheduled for August 13th, 15th, and 20th. As a result, the FAA chose to postpone the public meetings until these matters could be resolved.

The FAA will release a Revised Draft Tiered Environmental Assessment (Revised Draft  EA) in the future. The Revised Draft EA will be accompanied by an additional public comment period and public meetings. The dates, times,  and locations of the rescheduled public meetings will be made publicly available at least 30 days in advance of the meetings. All comments received on the Draft EA between July 29 and August 29, 2024, as well as the forthcoming Revised Draft EA will be given equal weight and be taken into consideration.

View Quote

It's the "wrap up smear" in action. Make an allegation without any evidence, co-conspirator media reports on the allegation, the reporting then becomes the evidence to continue the charade, government takes this very seriously and must conduct a thorough investigation, yada yada. Liars.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

It's the "wrap up smear" in action. Make an allegation without any evidence, co-conspirator media reports on the allegation, the reporting then becomes the evidence to continue the charade, government takes this very seriously and must conduct a thorough investigation, yada yada. Liars.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Slow roll because Musk supports Trump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/archive/August302024/In%20Addition/In%20Addition.html#183

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/archive/August302024/In%20Addition/In%20Addition.html#183

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GWPJohuXwAAaAYY?format=png&name=small
View Quote

Lol that should fix it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#32]
This timeline often feels like a three-way occurred between Idiocracy, Atlas Shrugged and 1984.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
This timeline often feels like a three-way occurred between Idiocracy, Atlas Shrugged and 1984.
View Quote

Every delay impacts Artemis 3...which is a woke program anyway and needs to be cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

That’s a violation for an incorrect permit, not a discharge violation.  I could find no DMR excursions for that site.

They were originally incorrectly registered under an industrial stormwater permit when the deluge is not water from storm but industrial process water.  Even though it’s essentially drinking water quality maybe minus chlorination.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

That’s a violation for an incorrect permit, not a discharge violation.  I could find no DMR excursions for that site.

They were originally incorrectly registered under an industrial stormwater permit when the deluge is not water from storm but industrial process water.  Even though it’s essentially drinking water quality maybe minus chlorination.

I.used to manage a bunch of industrial buildings.   Few things were a bigger PITA than OSHA and SWPPP/discharge water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

View Quote

Getting to the point where I wish Musk would tell the Govt to screw it and they aren't getting a penny.  Then say due to fuck you, the costs for all future Space X launches for US Govt have gone up 10x or 100x.  Pay ME.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 7:46:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#41]

Hey #StarshipAddicts!

Its time for another deep dive investigation! This is an 80 minute continuation of our How To Prevent Raptors From Destroying Superheavy episode.

Thanks to some important details revealed in @Erdayastronaut 's recent tour of Starbase, its become necessary to re-analyze the first 4 Flights of Starship.

In this episode we will explain what caused the failure of Boosters 9 and 10 in a way that you simply WILL NOT see anywhere else. After that we will reveal the secrets to how SpaceX was able to achieve success on Flight 4.

No matter what you have heard, or how many times you have rewatched the footage from these flights...this is guaranteed to blow your mind.

Get your popcorn ready and join us for the premier in 30 minutes!

starts at 8pm EDT
How To Prevent Raptors From Destroying Superheavy Pt.2

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Hey #StarshipAddicts!

Its time for another deep dive investigation! This is an 80 minute continuation of our How To Prevent Raptors From Destroying Superheavy episode.

Thanks to some important details revealed in @Erdayastronaut 's recent tour of Starbase, its become necessary to re-analyze the first 4 Flights of Starship.

In this episode we will explain what caused the failure of Boosters 9 and 10 in a way that you simply WILL NOT see anywhere else. After that we will reveal the secrets to how SpaceX was able to achieve success on Flight 4.

No matter what you have heard, or how many times you have rewatched the footage from these flights...this is guaranteed to blow your mind.

Get your popcorn ready and join us for the premier in 30 minutes!

starts at 8pm EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZRyeNAa0A

View Quote

I remember his first video on this.  Very informative.  
How To Prevent Raptors From Destroying SuperHeavy | Part 1

Really gives a good perspective on the changes to the thrust puck and aft skirt area to address all the engine RUD taking out additional nearby engines on flight 1 to also addressing continuous fire suppression in the aft area by constantly purging the skirt with intert gas for the duration of ascent.

Will be checking out pt. 2 in a bit...
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#43]
All This For The Catch | Starbase Update
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Too close to the tower?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
Too close to the tower?
View Quote
Considering the thrust from Starship, it's probably a FOD hazard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
Too close to the tower?
View Quote

probably in the way of the infrastructure stuff like tanks and piping, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
If that Hopper doesn't find it's way to a museum or something, someday then a lot of space nerds are going to be very upset.

I'm still kinda bummed out that Ship 15 is no longer with us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#49]
https://i.imgur.com/SU0yqfq.gif
View Quote

That is an insane shot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oregonroofer] [#50]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:

That is an insane shot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:
https://i.imgur.com/SU0yqfq.gif

That is an insane shot.

It reminds me of Young Frankenstein

Also, if real, shows exactly why they are ahead of everyone else. I would imagine that a lot of people that work there probably feel like they are on a mission (from Elon) to move as fast as possible with little clutter. Being a part of a bigger project that is happening in real time and speeding up all of the time.
Still wouldn't want to be the guy on that structure in a electrical storm.
Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top